Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Charging 80% more in ROI than UK for same product

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

seamus789 wrote: »
    For example Tesco source most "Non Irish" products from the officially authorised irish distributors so Irish people are still creating economic activity in importation, storage, sales, marketing etc. Lidl just ship their own label stuff in, add a hefty markup and mostly the only jobs they create are a few in their distribution centres and a few cash register operators.

Yes, using Irish distribution channels, lorries and the like... same as Tesco. Same difference.

I'd heavily dispute the claim that Tesco are using a majority of Irish distributors/suppliers as well, by the way - in fact they recently told all of their suppliers that if they couldn't match UK prices they were going elsewhere, and they did. Red Bull and Evian, just two prodcuts as an example, have Irish distributors but Tesco bypasses them and sources direct from the UK. So in that case, you'd actually be better off buying it in Lidl.

I disagree, my small survey shows no saving by going to lidl. What happens is people are not comparing like with like.When you compare like for like there is no real saving.
    \

Ok, well it depends on what you're buying. If you're buying branded goods then no, there's no huge saving to be made - but not a lot of people are buying branded anymore, they're downgrading to own brand.

If you're buying own label there ARE savings to be made because discounter own brands are cheaper than multiple own brands, and they're better quality too, for the most part.

I realise you're speaking from your own experience and what you personally buy, but here's a few figures from last year's grocery price comparison survey...
    Findings also showed that there was a 16.8% difference across 48 common own-brand goods between Aldi (€71.45) and Lidl (€61.17). Dunnes Stores, Lidl and Aldi had 28 goods in common with a price difference of 56% between the cheapest (Lidl - €30.68) and Dunnes Stores at €47.85.
    Tesco, Aldi and Lidl had 44 goods in common with price differential of 52% between cheapest (Lidl - €57.82) and Tesco which was the dearest (€87.89.)
    Of 26 goods in common between Aldi, Lidl and Supervalu stores the price differential between the cheapest, (Lidl - €31.95) and the most expensive Supervalu store (€46.27) was 44.8%

Also, in Dunnes/super-Valu etc you have a choice of Irish or Non-Irish in Lidl for the most part your only choice is to export our economic future

I go back to my bread example.
    The price is the same but most of the economic value is being exported if you buy Lidl's option.

Not really. There are Irish products available in both stores - like I say 40% of Aldi's sales are of Irish goods. You won't see any of the multiples coming out with a figure like that, they're too busy pretending they're sourcing in Ireland.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if you're worried about the Irish economy the only way to guarantee you're making a positive impact is to shop exclusively in Dunnes (who have an Irish supplier policy where possible) and really, really, really be discerning about every single item that you buy... otherwise you're taking your chances. There's no way to know for sure where something comes from or how it's got there, no matter what shop it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seamus789

shellyboo wrote: »
    Yes, using Irish distribution channels, lorries and the like... same as Tesco. Same difference.
    Yes but what about the other activities and no it's not the same as the supply chain for Irish sourced goods is more extensively within Ireland.
    I'd heavily dispute the claim that Tesco are using a majority of Irish distributors/suppliers as well, by the way - in fact they recently told all of their suppliers that if they couldn't match UK prices they were going elsewhere, and they did.

They have done so on a number of products yes but most suppliers were able to match the Uk price (albeit kicking and screaming most likely)
    Red Bull and Evian, just two prodcuts as an example, have Irish distributors but Tesco bypasses them and sources direct from the UK. So in that case, you'd actually be better off buying it in Lidl.
    better off? why?
    Ok, well it depends on what you're buying. If you're buying branded goods then no, there's no huge saving to be made - but not a lot of people are buying branded anymore, they're downgrading to own brand.

If you're buying own label there ARE savings to be made because discounter own brands are cheaper than multiple own brands,

We need an independent assessment of that I think. My experience is of own label as well as branded. take Lidl Milk v Supervalu milk???
    and they're better quality too, for the most part.

Very subjective, and certainly not my experience. have you ever had any of their pasta ready meals??
    I realise you're speaking from your own experience and what you personally buy, but here's a few figures from last year's grocery price comparison survey...
    Quote:
    Findings also showed that there was a 16.8% difference across 48 common own-brand goods between Aldi (€71.45) and Lidl (€61.17). Dunnes Stores, Lidl and Aldi had 28 goods in common with a price difference of 56% between the cheapest (Lidl - €30.68) and Dunnes Stores at €47.85.
    Tesco, Aldi and Lidl had 44 goods in common with price differential of 52% between cheapest (Lidl - €57.82) and Tesco which was the dearest (€87.89.)
    Of 26 goods in common between Aldi, Lidl and Supervalu stores the price differential between the cheapest, (Lidl - €31.95) and the most expensive Supervalu store (€46.27) was 44.8%

We need an independent assessment of that I think. I don't know who did that survey but I remember seeing one by the NCA where they were comparing low-end Lidl/Aldi ownlabel stuff with mid or high end own label in the others.
    the NCA are not independent imo they have an agenda v the multiples. Publishing deliberately flawed surveys tends to back that view.
    Not really. There are Irish products available in both stores - like I say 40% of Aldi's sales are of Irish goods.
    As I said previously I am not near an Aldi, therefore my point is re Lidl and they certainly don't have 40% Irish products.
    You won't see any of the multiples coming out with a figure like that, they're too busy pretending they're sourcing in Ireland.
    Dunnes, Supervalu and Superquinn all itemise on your receipt which products are Irish. I think tesco do too.
    I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if you're worried about the Irish economy the only way to guarantee you're making a positive impact is to shop exclusively in Dunnes (who have an Irish supplier policy where possible) and really, really, really be discerning about every single item that you buy... otherwise you're taking your chances. There's no way to know for sure where something comes from or how it's got there, no matter what shop it's in.

I think we are actually on the same side of the argument here. I agree, best go to an Irish owned retailer and buy Irish manufactured goods.
    However, if there is a price difference go for the cheaper!
    My point is that if the price is the same please choose the Irish option and keep the jobs in Ireland and I honestly believe that Lidl being cheaper is a myth; albeit a very well established myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

Folks,

the topic was in relation to Lidl charging an excessive premium in Ireland versus England and a subsequent query as to whether they were doing the same on groceries.
    the relativity to Dunnes et al is not the point, rather are they also charging 80% more for groceries in Ireland ( for which they have a relatively similar supply chain) than in England.

The VAT difference accounts for only 6.5% so why are they charging so much more? I am going to assume the shipping costs to the markets are the same or very similar(i doubt they are first shipping to England and subsequently on to ireland) so how do they justify the difference. cost of a depot in charleville is hardly worth a 74% premium????
    And we have to remember they make a profit in the UK so their margin in ireland must be more than the 80% (less the VAT and incidentals)

better off? why?

Better off if Lidl are using the Irish distributor and Tesco aren't. 25 jobs went at a marketing company because Tesco switched the Red Bull sourcing to the UK, the other supermarkets are still using the Irish distributor.

Very subjective, and certainly not my experience. have you ever had any of their pasta ready meals??

No, I was talking about food :D Joking. I wouldn't buy Tesco Value anything, but I'd certainly buy Lidl brand anything because I find it to be better. Cheese, pesto, sauces, cold meats, biscuits, crisps... anything I've tried.
    We need an independent assessment of that I think. I don't know who did that survey but I remember seeing one by the NCA where they were comparing low-end Lidl/Aldi ownlabel stuff with mid or high end own label in the others.
    the NCA are not independent imo they have an agenda v the multiples. Publishing deliberately flawed surveys tends to back that view.

That is the NCA survey. The NCA is a goverment agency, I have no idea who's more independent. We don't have another agency with the same power to assess the industry as definitively, so we have to make do with those figures, I guess. Why is the survey deliberately flawed?

Re: the ownlabel goods, they did - and rightly so, I believe. Like I say, I think that Aldi/Lidl own brand is better quality than Tesco Value, it's more akin to the Tesco standard brand.
    As I said previously I am not near an Aldi, therefore my point is re Lidl and they certainly don't have 40% Irish products.

Neither does Tesco though, and you'd never get them claiming it cos it simply ain't true.
    Dunnes, Supervalu and Superquinn all itemise on your receipt which products are Irish. I think tesco do too.

So does Lidl!

I think we are actually on the same side of the argument here. I agree, best go to an Irish owned retailer and buy Irish manufactured goods.
    However, if there is a price difference go for the cheaper!
    My point is that if the price is the same please choose the Irish option and keep the jobs in Ireland and I honestly believe that Lidl being cheaper is a myth; albeit a very well established myth.

We are, effectively, except I like Lidl and you don't! I'm being facetious... I just think that there's a myth out there that Tesco is somehow more 'Irish' than Lidl when it's really, really not. You're taking your chances on what's Irish unless you're an extremely careful shopper and question everything.

So to me, going to Lidl and buying Irish good IS the Irish option just as much as going to Tesco is... you just get it for cheaper, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

How about the most obvious reason, because they can!

• Advertisement

Why is the survey deliberately flawed?

Re: the ownlabel goods, they did - and rightly so, I believe. Like I say, I think that Aldi/Lidl own brand is better quality than Tesco Value, it's more akin to the Tesco standard brand.

It's the methodology is flawed. It is subjective to say that Lidl low end is akin to standard tesco, a matter of opinion but certainly not statistically robust.
    Neither does Tesco though, and you'd never get them claiming it cos it simply ain't true.

I would have to dispute that. While I'm no fan of Tesco over Irish owned retailers, I would direct you to the following:
    We are the largest single buyer of Irish food products in the world, spending an aggregate of over €1.28 billion on Irish products and services annually, and 50% of our food range here is Irish produced.
    Apart from that they source many non Irish products through Irish distributors
    For the record I do not shop in tesco as my preferred choice. I prefer Supervalu and sometimes Dunnes
    So to me, going to Lidl and buying Irish good IS the Irish option just as much as going to Tesco is.
    I would agree BUT If you can find mostly irish goods in Lidl you have better eyesight than I have

I go back to my bread example. The price is identical but if we choose to buy it in Lidl we are directly responsible for the loss of jobs by some grain growers, millers, bakers, packers, package manufacturers, sales reps, van drivers etc etc

It's the methodology is flawed. It is subjective to say that Lidl low end is akin to standard tesco, a matter of opinion but certainly not statistically robust.

Ah yeah, I wouldn't say it's the most accurate survey ever, and yeah you're right that the claim is subjective... it's just one I'd happen to agree with.

I would agree BUT If you can find mostly irish goods in Lidl you have better eyesight than I have

I go back to my bread example. The price is identical but if we choose to buy it in Lidl we are directly responsible for the loss of jobs by some grain growers, millers, bakers, packers, package manufacturers, sales reps, van drivers etc etc

Where I personally see the extra value is in things that are just not going to be Irish-produced anyway. I'd buy a lot of pasta, pesto, salami, cooked meats, cheeses... and there just isn't an Irish option on those products. You get them for substantially cheaper than in the multiples, and they are excellent quality. Things like bread, milk, eggs, bacon etc, you can get Irish versions of those in Lidl. Meat and veg, I go to the greengrocer and the butcher anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globulin777

But are they really cheaper? Yes they are cheaper for german own label stuff versus Dunnes own label stuff. fair enough but they are the same price as Tesco, dunnes, Supervalu on kvi's like bread, milk, Coke etc etc

2 Litres of Milk in Lidl is exactly the same price as 2L Supervalu own label milk.

2 Litres of Coke is €1.99 in Tesco, Lidl, Supervalu, Dunnes

I'm not going to waste my time surveying all their prices but I'm not convinced they are cheaper when you compare "Like for like".

I'd rather support the Irish supply chain and Irish jobs than German jobs. Just my opinion, in a recession you are entitled to move jobs out of the country if you wish

So would I, however A British retailer sold me a product for €170 while the same product would have cost €350 here.
    Profiteering is alive and well in Rip Off Ireland....
    I will always buy abroad if I am being ripped off by my supposed "country men." Patriotic Duty my AR$*.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 andy2854

lidle is cheep enough anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Setting prices just a little bit lower than your nearest cheaper competitor is good business practice.
    Stores are in business to make a profit. Their management owe their primary allegiance to the store owners and should set out to maximise their profits.
    Just as in a race the clever athlete will pace the race leader and shave by him a few feet to win ...... if he can.
    It is a waste of money lowering prices too much to get business when a few cent lower will do.
    All sorts of factors have to be taken into consideration such as travel time, convenience, ease of access opening times etc when choosing where to shop.
    I buy all my washing things at Lidl because they are cheaper and do the job.
    I buy all my fresh food etc at Tescos because they are nearer.
    It is up to the customer to challenge high prices by complaining and then switching supplier if that fails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Lidl "Targa" Computers No 28 Days Returns Policy

Beware of Lidl there 28 days no quibble money back returns policy does NOT apply to their "Targa"computers or if it does its very much at their discretion.

On their website www.lidl.ie and their e-mail newsletter Lidl say nothing about this.

Regards,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jimmysull wrote: »
    The VAT difference accounts for only 6.5% so why are they charging so much more?
    Why would they charge less?
    so how do they justify the difference.
    They don't, they do not have to answer to anybody, why waste money employing spokespeople when they are not obliged to? If they figured it was worthwhile for marketing I presume they would. Some other shops are now squandering money employing people to take off dual prices on products, it is a shame that this will end up in higher prices again, just to appease the ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

How do you know it doesn't apply?

They are covered under the warranty anyway if something goes wrong. The 28 days return policy would be for money back etc... if your just not happy.

Since they have display models in store and have the specs clearly listed then I think you should now before you purchase if its what you wanted.

Its an expensive product so you'd just have people breaking them stupidly and trying to bring them back when warranty doesn't cover user accidents. Also you'd have installed all kinds of software so they can't sell it to someone else, it would have to be shipped back to manufacturer.

I imagine most stores don't allow the easy return of laptops TBH. I think Dell does but they are a manufacturer too so it is a different circumstance and even they have to take a hit on price and sell in their refurbished store.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

The same argument can be applied to NI shopping though, and most people just don't want to hear it. The Me Feiners only care about the money in their pockets and not the jobs that are being culled left, right and centre because they're taking their money out of the country.

Some me feiners are more worried about being able to provide a dinner for their kids than lining the pockets of rich business men.

If it comes down to your family eating and being able to keep the ESB on then yes the me feiner is more concerned about their own familiy than lining the pockets of buisness men that have taken advantage for the last 15 to twenty years of irish people's laziness to find a better deal elsewhere.

maybe you should point your nonsenical arguments at the right people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globulin777

ntlbell wrote: »
    Some me feiners are more worried about being able to provide a dinner for their kids than lining the pockets of rich business men.

If it comes down to your family eating and being able to keep the ESB on then yes the me feiner is more concerned about their own familiy than lining the pockets of buisness men that have taken advantage for the last 15 to twenty years of irish people's laziness to find a better deal elsewhere.

Agreed... spot on:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

thebman wrote: »
    How do you know it doesn't apply?

They are covered under the warranty anyway if something goes wrong. The 28 days return policy would be for money back etc... if your just not happy.

Since they have display models in store and have the specs clearly listed then I think you should now before you purchase if its what you wanted.

Its an expensive product so you'd just have people breaking them stupidly and trying to bring them back when warranty doesn't cover user accidents. Also you'd have installed all kinds of software so they can't sell it to someone else, it would have to be shipped back to manufacturer.

I imagine most stores don't allow the easy return of laptops TBH. I think Dell does but they are a manufacturer too so it is a different circumstance and even they have to take a hit on price and sell in their refurbished store.
    >>>>>>
    If you check Lidl's website www.lidl.ie it states 28 days money back gaurantee in other words I was deceptively enticed to purchase a product

which mention the 28 day money gaurantee when I returned it I was asked was it used I said yes the Sales Assistant then said I would have to ring up the Targa home line that was based in "Dublin" Lies Germany actually and they would collect it.

I rang Lidl Customer Service they said the product i.e Targa Computers were excluded in their Term & Conditions

I told them it was a gift I had purchased for my myself that I was not happy with.

Same Answer No Refund Of Money It Must Be Faulty I paid by Laser Card Lidl refuse Credit Cards it helps keep prices down and no Consumer Rights

Any Advice on how I should pursue this The Advertising Standards Authority all these organisations are PRO Retailer waste of time

I subscribe to Lidl's weekly offers by e-mail again no mention of this exclusion Is this sharp practise.?

The Irish Consumer Connect said only if the goods were faulty did you have rights and they were completely oblivious about the 28 days money back gaurantee this was OK as long as it was in their Terms & Conditions

Where do Lidl legally have to display their terms and conditions?

Lidl wanted my name and address for the warranty before I left the store the day I purchased the computer.

Regards,

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Banes05

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    Lidl wanted my name and address for the warranty before I left the store the day I purchased the computer.

Im pretty sure that would have been a waiver form you signed stating you agree to waive your rights to return the item to the store, and to deal with the manufacturer from then on, its standard practice at every lidl store with high value items like Televisions and computers.

TBH the specs on the system are clearly stated in both the catalogues and the in store posters so I cant really understand what it is you're not happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

But are they really cheaper? Yes they are cheaper for german own label stuff versus Dunnes own label stuff. fair enough but they are the same price as Tesco, dunnes, Supervalu on kvi's like bread, milk, Coke etc etc

2 Litres of Milk in Lidl is exactly the same price as 2L Supervalu own label milk.

2 Litres of Coke is €1.99 in Tesco, Lidl, Supervalu, Dunnes

I'm not going to waste my time surveying all their prices but I'm not convinced they are cheaper when you compare "Like for like".

I'd rather support the Irish supply chain and Irish jobs than German jobs. Just my opinion, in a recession you are entitled to move jobs out of the country if you wish

hmmmm..I paid 1.54 for 2 litres of coke in Lidl 2 nights ago.
    It was over E2 in the supervalu outside my office at lunchtime today

What Lidl are you shopping at?

:rolleyes:

Flamebaiting much? Did I say ANYTHING about people living on the breadline? No, I did not. Perhaps you should point your nonsensical argument at someone who actually said what you're arguing against.

:rolleyes:

Flamebaiting much? Did I say ANYTHING about people living on the breadline? No, I did not. Perhaps you should point your nonsensical argument at someone who actually said what you're arguing against.

no you didn't you just generalised about anyone who decides to shop in NI throwing around radio phrases like "me feiners" what's next "i'm all right jack"

this is one of the problems with the current problems getting a lot of tabloid press every moron on the country think they have an opinion worth hearing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

Another issue to throw on the lidl argument:
    http://newsweaver.ie/checkout/e_article001342223.cfm?x=bf6R6SR,bc9GBq99

Does this happen in Ireland?

no you didn't you just generalised about anyone who decides to shop in NI throwing around radio phrases like "me feiners" what's next "i'm all right jack"

this is one of the problems with the current problems getting a lot of tabloid press every moron on the country think they have an opinion worth hearing.

Oh, ntlbell you do make me laugh :) Tabloid press, yeah. Ok.

I was making a point that a lot of people are missing - yes, we're in a recession, yes, we need to seek value... but if doing that means sending money outside the economy, we're hurting the economy and things will only get worse. Your average consumer doesn't see that, and it's something people need to think about. Yes, we're getting a bad deal, yes there's better value elsewhere - but you can't go around crying about job losses on the one hand while not supporting the economy on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

I came across an article this morning that said Lidl were ripping us off here in Ireland.http://pricesireland.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/the-big-lidl-rip-off/

Not taking it at face value I went on Lidl.ie and lidl.co.uk to check and it is true!

Has anyone any experience of any comparison on their grocery prices? Could they really be profiteering in ireland to that extent while still portraying themselves as the "consumer's white knight"?

Jesus the 49cent coke sold in Irelands Lidl must be only 9p in the Uk. I dont think so.

Oh, ntlbell you do make me laugh :) Tabloid press, yeah. Ok.

I was making a point that a lot of people are missing - yes, we're in a recession, yes, we need to seek value... but if doing that means sending money outside the economy, we're hurting the economy and things will only get worse. Your average consumer doesn't see that, and it's something people need to think about. Yes, we're getting a bad deal, yes there's better value elsewhere - but you can't go around crying about job losses on the one hand while not supporting the economy on the other.

No you made a very stupid generalisation and were called on it

So I take it you don't make any online purchases from non irish based company's?

Your making another stupid assumption that the "average" consumer which is pretty much everyone is too stupid to understand that they don't understand were irish vat/tax etc goes.

do you want to insult anyone else?

the government are well in the power to remove our uncompetitiveness by doing away with minimum wage better regulation of the ESB for example and their constant hikes etc everything that pushes up costs here and enable companies to reduce their prices

but yes lets blame the "average" unintelligent ignorant bargain hunter for the whole mess.

No you made a very stupid generalisation and were called on it

So I take it you don't make any online purchases from non irish based company's?

Your making another stupid assumption that the "average" consumer which is pretty much everyone is too stupid to understand that they don't understand were irish vat/tax etc goes.

do you want to insult anyone else?

the government are well in the power to remove our uncompetitiveness by doing away with minimum wage better regulation of the ESB for example and their constant hikes etc everything that pushes up costs here and enable companies to reduce their prices

but yes lets blame the "average" unintelligent ignorant bargain hunter for the whole mess.

I didn't make a generalisation - I was talking about 'the me feiners' (a group of people, not the entire Irish population) who do the precise thing I was complaining about. Not everyone does this. I never said they did.

The group of people I am talking about is the group of people who are ignorant of the damage they do to the economy when shopping in NI, while at the same time moaning about job losses here and the recession.

I never said anyone was stupid - you're the one making that judgement - I think a lot of people don't link the money going out of the economy to jobs lost here. They just don't see the connection, which is unfortunate because it's an important one. We did a survey just last week that showed that[FONT=verdana,arial] 78% of consumers don't see any link between NI shopping and unemployment here... so it's an attitude that's out there.
    [/FONT]
    I also did not 'blame' anyone for 'the whole mess', don't know where you got that from. I pointed out one issue with one group of people that is contributing to the bad economy.

And no, I don't buy anything online from non-Irish companies... I don't even have a credit card.

Done with this now, seeing as you think I'm a tabloid-munching moron anyway, there's little point in arguing with you about points that I didn't even make. Ta ta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    If you check Lidl's website it states 28 days money back gaurantee in other words I was deceptively enticed to purchase a product
    I rang Lidl Customer Service they said the product i.e Targa Computers were excluded in their Term & Conditions
    Where do Lidl legally have to display their terms and conditions?

Lidl's computers are exempt from their 28 day no-quibble guarantee. It says so on the flyer or email if you still have it.
    Unless the computer product you purchased was faulty, they don't have to entertain you.
    They would want your name for the warranty because a guarantee exists for the product for X time after purchase.

I didn't make a generalisation - I was talking about 'the me feiners' (a group of people, not the entire Irish population) who do the precise thing I was complaining about. Not everyone does this. I never said they did.

The group of people I am talking about is the group of people who are ignorant of the damage they do to the economy when shopping in NI, while at the same time moaning about job losses here and the recession.

I never said anyone was stupid - you're the one making that judgement - I think a lot of people don't link the money going out of the economy to jobs lost here. They just don't see the connection, which is unfortunate because it's an important one. We did a survey just last week that showed that[FONT=verdana,arial] 78% of consumers don't see any link between NI shopping and unemployment here... so it's an attitude that's out there.
    [/FONT]
    I also did not 'blame' anyone for 'the whole mess', don't know where you got that from. I pointed out one issue with one group of people that is contributing to the bad economy.

And no, I don't buy anything online from non-Irish companies... I don't even have a credit card.

Done with this now, seeing as you think I'm a tabloid-munching moron anyway, there's little point in arguing with you about points that I didn't even make. Ta ta.

I don't really understand most of what you just said.

Anyway very few jobs that have been lost as I stated before are not down to a small percentage of people shopping in the north.

The country is collapsing because it was too reliant on the construction sector everything related to it is f*cked.

so when you take that amount of people out of work in a relatively short period of time the effects knock into the other sectors.

this is why jobs were lost this is why we;re continuing to lose them, throw in a global credit problem and CEO's bouncing around billions all over the place lending millions to chancers and banks having loan books that look more like a sive

_these_ are the reason's not joe soap bargain hunting.

People are mostly shopping for alcohol and groceries in NI which off licences and pubs have been taken the piss out of us for years they making like 300-400% on a few kegs adjust your buisnes it's simple.

Companies in the ROI need to wake up and start adjusting to the new circumstances we find ourselves in whining about "me feiners" is just nonsense.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    hmmmm..I paid 1.54 for 2 litres of coke in Lidl 2 nights ago.
    It was over E2 in the supervalu outside my office at lunchtime today

What Lidl are you shopping at?

Coke is €1.99 in Lidl
    Pepsi is €1.54 .....even Lidl don't mix those two up

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Jesus the 49cent coke sold in Irelands Lidl must be only 9p in the Uk. I dont think so.

Coke is €1.99 in Lidl, (same as it is in Tesco, Supervalu etc.)

Not sure where you are seeing Coke for 49c

• Advertisement

Coke is €1.99 in Lidl, (same as it is in Tesco, Supervalu etc.)

Not sure where you are seeing Coke for 49c

Mayhap he means Cola Drink. I know you can get a big 2l bottle of Cola flavoured beverage in Lidl for 49c (I must be having too many house parties to know how much mixers cost in Lidl off the top of my head), but it's not Coca-Cola.

Advertisement