Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Charging 80% more in ROI than UK for same product

Options
  • 02-02-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I came across an article this morning that said Lidl were ripping us off here in Ireland.http://pricesireland.wordpress.com/2009/01/31/the-big-lidl-rip-off/

Not taking it at face value I went on Lidl.ie and lidl.co.uk to check and it is true!

Has anyone any experience of any comparison on their grocery prices? Could they really be profiteering in ireland to that extent while still portraying themselves as the "consumer's white knight"?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They are the white knight as they are cheaper then Dunnes et al and it is also clearly an exceptional item (and if you think Lidl has extreme profits while being the lowest cost store in Ireland then take the next logical step in that thought chain).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

They are still cheaper than the others so what does that say about the others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭jimmysull

Hey I only asked if anyone had any real comparisons on Grocery prices. Being cheaper than Dunnes doesn't mean they are not profiteering. Dunnes source most of their products from irish distributors, Lidl source most of theirs from non-irish distributors and then charge up to 80% more for it in Ireland???
    I'm just wondering are we being duped?

btw it's not an exceptional item, take a look at other products on lidl.ie and lidl.co.uk. Problem is they don't list their grocery prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 seamus789

thebman wrote: »
    They are still cheaper than the others so what does that say about the others?

But are they really cheaper? Yes they are cheaper for german own label stuff versus Dunnes own label stuff. fair enough but they are the same price as Tesco, dunnes, Supervalu on kvi's like bread, milk, Coke etc etc

2 Litres of Milk in Lidl is exactly the same price as 2L Supervalu own label milk.

2 Litres of Coke is €1.99 in Tesco, Lidl, Supervalu, Dunnes

I'm not going to waste my time surveying all their prices but I'm not convinced they are cheaper when you compare "Like for like".

I'd rather support the Irish supply chain and Irish jobs than German jobs. Just my opinion, in a recession you are entitled to move jobs out of the country if you wish

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

It seems just the way Lidl works.
    They check prices locally and go slightly under that price.
    So they do indeed appear to be the cheaper option in that country.
    But i guess it is obvious they are not the cheapest with all their products.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well yeah, your not going to undercut your competitors by 50%. Why would you?

Just p*ssing away money if they did that. They'll wait for Tesco etc... to reduce their prices and then reduce theirs a bit more again and so on.

They will of course not be cheaper on some other items too as they just use cheap prices on key items to get you in the door.

Still, if you divert traffic from the main stores in Ireland, they will start trying to compete. Last time I was in Tesco my housemate was buying a deep fat fryer and it was cheaper in tesco than Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The same stuff is even cheaper in China

AMAZING

Rip Off Ireland!!!!!!!11

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

seamus789 wrote: »
    But are they really cheaper? Yes they are cheaper for german own label stuff versus Dunnes own label stuff. fair enough but they are the same price as Tesco, dunnes, Supervalu on kvi's like bread, milk, Coke etc etc

2 Litres of Milk in Lidl is exactly the same price as 2L Supervalu own label milk.

I'm not going to waste my time surveying all their prices but I'm not convinced they are cheaper when you compare "Like for like".

I'd rather support the Irish supply chain and Irish jobs than German jobs. Just my opinion, in a recession you are entitled to move jobs out of the country if you wish

I would imagine that the reason for the branded stuff being similarily over-priced is that all of the supermarkets here get ripped off by the Irish branches of large multi-nationals, Coca Cola Ireland, to name but one.

If the "foreigners" weren't here, you'd be paying €4.99 for Coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The same stuff is even cheaper in China
    AMAZING
    Rip Off Ireland!!!!!!!11

those type of commets are getting really boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

have you been into dunnes recently? %age wise they're no better imo than Aldi or Lidl for recruiting irish staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not as boring as these endless threads. And what is wrong with pointing it out if it is OK to point out UK price differences? I buy a hell of a lot of stuff from China and save a fortune compared to UK or Irish stores.
    Could they really be profiteering in ireland
    Define profiteering.

Google gives me
    profiteer - make an unreasonable profit, as on the sale of difficult to obtain goods
    profiteer - someone who makes excessive profit (especially on goods in short supply)
    Seems they are just doing what any business does, they set out to maximise profits, if you call that profiteering then so be it, all businesses bar charities operate like this, I learnt that in 1st year commerce in secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

but the thing is they are cheaper when you compare "like for like". aldi/lidl beans/peas in tins are much better tasting and better presented than the tesco value brand or other supermarkets own brands while still being cheaper. this is repaeted with most products on sale in lidl/aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

foggy_lad wrote: »
    but the thing is they are cheaper when you compare "like for like". aldi/lidl beans/peas in tins are much better tasting and better presented than the tesco value brand or other supermarkets own brands while still being cheaper. this is repaeted with most products on sale in lidl/aldi.

still not like for like, if they have heinz beans cheaper then it's a different kettle of fish, but there are probably just as many people who think that the dunnes own brand is better than the aldi or lidl brand (eg. I love dunnes own brand museli, and prefer it over lidl's brand any day of the week)

and

"OMG ______ Is Cheaper In A Different Country" isn't getting boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

and

"OMG ______ Is Cheaper In A Different Country" isn't getting boring?

And what exactly would you expect in a forum called Rip Off Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

still not like for like, if they have heinz beans cheaper then it's a different kettle of fish, but there are probably just as many people who think that the dunnes own brand is better than the aldi or lidl brand (eg. I love dunnes own brand museli, and prefer it over lidl's brand any day of the week)
    just because you prefer Dunnes own brand muesli does not make it better value even if it is cheaper and my point is that apart from a few exceptions most of lidl/aldi items are cheaper and taste better than the big three's own brand goods which makes then better value for the average shopper.

jhegarty wrote: »

prices are what they are because you people pay them

its not lidls fault

but comparing prices to other countries is a bit stupid

comparing prices between countries always happened and always will happen! on the continent dutch were going to germany for petrol, germans were going to poland for petrol, germans complained about IKEA being more expensivwe then in the netherlands and ROI shoppers are going to NI.

but i heard never any mentally sane person complaining that mig macs are cheaper in china. and it is stupid as there is no tesco, no lidl not aldi, no M&S in china (AFAIK) or at least not a 3hrs drive away! the possibility tho shop in china for groceries is very little i'd say.

therefore that china argument is kind of stupid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

it is stupid as there is no tesco, no lidl not aldi, no M&S in china (AFAIK)
    You are aware that not only are most of the western shops in China but that is also the place where they expect to open up most new shops in the world due to the potential market, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jhegarty wrote: »
    I would really like to see warnings about true rip offs, i.e. scams, confidence tricks, unreasonable marketing tools, secret addons etc. Lidl advertised an iron for €19.99. There is nothing underhanded going on at all! no ripoff, nobody goes to the till or gets home and is surprised to see €19.99 on their laser card bill a month down the line.

There should really be a separate sub form called "relatively high prices in Ireland Vs UK".
    comparing prices between countries always happened and always will happen! on the continent dutch were going to germany for petrol, germans were going to poland for petrol, germans complained about IKEA being more expensivwe then in the netherlands and ROI shoppers are going to NI.
    There is a forum for this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346
    If something is cheap up north there is even a specific thread for it.
    but i heard never any mentally sane person complaining that mig macs are cheaper in china.
    I could say the same about people saying it in the UK. Why do you think they are cheaper in China BTW? (please answer)
    People want you to THINK for a minute and realise that stuff is different prices and it is ridiculous to expect all prices to be fixed worldwide.
    the possibility tho shop in china for groceries is very little i'd say.

As I said already I buy a lot of stuff from China. Many do buy in food stuffs from the US and other places, of course a lot of the time it is not economical for postage.

This thread is about an iron. I can get one for under €6 incl/ delivery from China
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15064

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I would imagine that the reason for the branded stuff being similarily over-priced is that all of the supermarkets here get ripped off by the Irish branches of large multi-nationals, Coca Cola Ireland, to name but one.

And for non-branded commodities like Milk, bread etc? The poster claims these are the same price in Lidl as the big 4 supermarkets too.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    aldi/lidl beans/peas in tins are much better tasting and better presented than the tesco value brand or other supermarkets own brands

Matter of opinion, I find Supervalu own label stuff to be quite good quality

Not when it's the same retailer sourcing from the same place.
    Ok, I have no problem paying a bit extra for transportation, vat, labour but an 80% difference on some products is definitely profiteering

(by the definition:
    rubadub wrote: »
    profiteer - someone who makes excessive profit)

Bottom line here is they are making a killing in Ireland, and yes that is 'business' even by the definition of basic 1st Year Commerce but let's not kid ourselves that they are the cheapest. If you shop cleverly you will get much better quality products elsewhere for equal or lower cost. Value is what matters at the end of the day.

This thread is about an iron. I can get one for under €6 incl/ delivery from China
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15064

The point of the original post was not about the cost of an iron. It was about the 80% difference in prices charged by a company, Lidl, that operates in both the UK and Ireland. A company that benefits significantly from any coverage of prices in Ireland v UK as that coverage is normally aimed at the established big 4 supermarkets.

I would really like to see warnings about true rip offs, i.e. scams, confidence tricks, unreasonable marketing tools, secret addons etc. Lidl advertised an iron for €19.99. There is nothing underhanded going on at all! no ripoff, nobody goes to the till or gets home and is surprised to see €19.99 on their laser card bill a month down the line.

There should really be a separate sub form called "relatively high prices in Ireland Vs UK".

why having a rip off forum at all? isn't it a Consumer issue at the end of the day?

taking account of the amount of posts in recent times the charter of that rip-off forum might need a revamp. the majority of people here apparently have a different definition of "rip off". not an academic one, more a real life based.
    I could say the same about people saying it in the UK. Why do you think they are cheaper in China BTW? (please answer)

that was an example as people get never tired to promote the big mac index and it's cost in China.

have you been into dunnes recently? %age wise they're no better imo than Aldi or Lidl for recruiting irish staff

They are still living in Ireland, therefore they are irish jobs whether they work in Lidl or Dunnes.

My support for Irish Jobs stretches far beyond the shop floor. Most products in Tesco, Dunnes, SV etc are sourced from Irish manufacturers or distributors therefore providing employment in manufacture/importation, storage, sales, marketing, distribution, etc etc. Along with that, if the product is manufactured in Ireland, many of the raw-materials/ingredients will also be produced in Ireland.

My big problem with Lidl is that most of their products are sourced outside of Ireland and we lose all the economic activity outlined above. In addition, an objective analysis says they are not necessarily cheaper when you compare "like for like".

I would rather buy a loaf of bread in Tesco that has been made, packed, marketed, sold, stored and distributed all within Ireland than buy a loaf of bread for the same price in Lidl that has been produced elsewhere.

If it was cheaper in lidl then I could possibly see a reason for buying the Lidl one but everyone who makes the choice today to buy that loaf of bread in Lidl is responsible for the next job lost in the bread business in Ireland..... have a think about it!.... if you work in a business that depends on selling a product, you may want the grain growers, millers, bakers, packers, package manufacturers, van drivers etc etc to choose your product rather than the imported alternative.

If there is a price difference fair enough but let's get real here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

My big problem with Lidl is that most of their products are sourced outside of Ireland and we lose all the economic activity outlined above. In addition, an objective analysis says they are not necessarily cheaper when you compare "like for like".

I would rather buy a loaf of bread in Tesco that has been made, packed, marketed, sold, stored and distributed all within Ireland than buy a loaf of bread for the same price in Lidl that has been produced elsewhere.

If it was cheaper in lidl then I could possibly see a reason for buying the Lidl one but everyone who makes the choice today to buy that loaf of bread in Lidl is responsible for the next job lost in the bread business in Ireland..... have a think about it!.... if you work in a business that depends on selling a product you may want the grain growers, millers, bakers, packers, package manufacturers, van drivers etc etc to choose your product rather than the imported alternative.

If there is a price difference fair enough but let's get real here.

The same argument can be applied to NI shopping though, and most people just don't want to hear it. The Me Feiners only care about the money in their pockets and not the jobs that are being culled left, right and centre because they're taking their money out of the country.

I for one would rather see someone buying a German loaf in an Irish Aldi (however unlikely that is) than heading up to Asda to buy a UK one.

However, Aldi (not sure about Lidl) claim that 40% of their sales are of Irish goods. And while the own-brand bread they sell may not be Irish, it's probably coming from no further away from NI or the UK anyway. Their prepacked sandwiches come from Donegal, I know that much.

shellyboo wrote: »
    The same argument can be applied to NI shopping though, and most people just don't want to hear it.

Yes but there is a big price difference there and if people are finding it difficult to make ends meet you can see why they'd go North for savings. even though that too will cost jobs, agreed!

The point with Lidl (and probably Aldi, (I don't have one nearby)) is that there is no real saving on most of their products when you compare like for like but it is still economic suicide to shop there.

The point with Lidl (and probably Aldi, (I don't have one nearby)) is that there is no real saving on most of their products when you compare like for like but it is still economic suicide to shop there.

Up to yesterday when I found the original article i posted about, I assumed Lidl were cheaper but now I really question it.
    Lidl probably are cheaper on things like washing powder, toilet paper etc. and there is probably good reason to buy from them on those things but I take your point on products where there is no real saving that we are just exporting jobs.

The main reason for the original post however was that (whether they are cheaper or not) they are charging way more here than they are in england for the same products that are sourced from the same place.

Bottom line for me now is that their business model is that they use these non-grocery "special offers" to get us in and while we are there we will do our grocery shopping too and "think" we are saving. And even while they do that they are making a killing by making 80% on top of whatever profit they are making in england.

I would like to see if there is a big difference on grocery prices too between their English and Irish outlets but that is a bit harder as they don't list those prices on their websites

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Yes but there is a big price difference there and if people are finding it difficult to make ends meet you can see why they'd go North for savings. even though that too will cost jobs, agreed!

Well, by that logic, it's economic suicide to go into your local Tesco and by anything own-label or non-Irish. And as you say, some people can't afford to make ends meet - they certainly can't afford to be running to Superquinn and Dunnes buying exclusively Irish brand products, because fact of the matter is, they're more expensive. I say Irish brand because there's no definite way of knowing where an own-brand item was produced - just because it's on the shelf in Dunnes instead of Lidl doesn't mean it's Irish.

Not everyone who shops in Dunnes buys Irish products, even seemingly Irish products are often sourced in the UK... so unless every consumer becomes hyper-aware of what they're buying and is prepared to fork out on that, it's economic suicide anyway. And judging by the droves going over the border, no-one IS prepared to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

but i heard never any mentally sane person complaining that mig macs are cheaper in china. and it is stupid as there is no tesco, no lidl not aldi, no M&S in china (AFAIK) or at least not a 3hrs drive away! the possibility tho shop in china for groceries is very little i'd say.

and 2 years ago Newry retailers were compalining about all the shoppers who went down south due to sterling getting 1.55 euro to the pound.

Swings & roundabouts.

• Advertisement

Well, by that logic, it's economic suicide to go into your local Tesco and by anything own-label or non-Irish.

Not true.......allow me to quote myself:
    My support for Irish Jobs stretches far beyond the shop floor. Most products in Tesco, Dunnes, SV etc are sourced from Irish manufacturers or distributors therefore providing employment in manufacture/importation, storage, sales, marketing, distribution, etc etc.

For example Tesco source most "Non Irish" products from the officially authorised irish distributors so Irish people are still creating economic activity in importation, storage, sales, marketing etc. Lidl just ship their own label stuff in, add a hefty markup and mostly the only jobs they create are a few in their distribution centres and a few cash register operators.

And as you say, some people can't afford to make ends meet - they certainly can't afford to be running to Superquinn and Dunnes buying exclusively Irish brand products, because fact of the matter is, they're more expensive.
    I disagree, my small survey shows no saving by going to lidl. What happens is people are not comparing like with like.When you compare like for like there is no real saving.

Also, in Dunnes/super-Valu etc you have a choice of Irish or Non-Irish in Lidl for the most part your only choice is to export our economic future

I go back to my bread example.
    The price is the same but most of the economic value is being exported if you buy Lidl's option.

Advertisement