Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

G2 is a military intelligence not a secret service
    the closest in Ireland is the c3 crime and security division which operates from the Phoenix park
    one of the only departments to give money back from there budget and are quite sucsessful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

First rule of G2 is you do not talk about G2
    Second rule of G2 is you do not talk about G2
    and the third rule of G2 is..... and so on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dtwhaler

Does Ireland have an intellegence agency ........................?

Does Ireland have any feckin intelligence !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Simple Question plain and clear. Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency? not so much to say on the same ground as let say the CIA or the KGB, but an intelliegence agency so that Ireland knows whats going on around the world and isn't kept in the dark

yes... boards.ie/Afterhours*

* - not the actual link... see we are Smrt... so smrt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

nah, thats a P0xey-moron :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

You mean like Terrorism? aren't the known terrorists who have links to Al Queda living in Ireland?

We talk about Irish intelligence relying on MI5/MI6, that's worrying. These are the same people who were monitoring 3 of the 4 suicide bombers responsible for the attacks in London on July 7 2005! They didn't think they were a serious threat so reduced surveillance :rolleyes:
    The French Intelligence services used to refer to Britain as 'Britainistan' because of the amount of Muslim terrorists living in Britain and launching attacks in France. At that time the British government were so concerned with the IRA that they figured it wasn't their job to go after terrorists that weren't any threat to them. Karma!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Poccington wrote: »
    G2 look after the Int. side of things and they're very capable at their jobs.

A man in the know? Cheers Séamus Ceangal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Simple Question plain and clear. Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency? not so much to say on the same ground as let say the CIA or the KGB, but an intelliegence agency so that Ireland knows whats going on around the world and isn't kept in the dark

Irelands Government doesnt have any intelligence whatsoever

not the agency kind or any other kind.

They get their inteligence from watching bbc news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

RATM wrote: »
    If not Uzis then what?

:pac:

Hurleys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

colly10 wrote: »
    Hurleys

+ford mondeos+newspapers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Anyone remember a post office robbery on the Lower Rathmines Road back in the late '90s? Supposed to have been set up by Garda intelligence so they could interview some guy queueing up for his dole. Bet the CIA don't do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nolanger wrote: »
    ...Bet the CIA don't do that.
    No? Its just that they do it better and don't get possibly linked to such actions.

The CIA don't bring down Post Offices - they bring down countries!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Biggins wrote: »
    No? Its just that they do it better and don't get possibly linked to such actions.

The CIA don't bring down Post Offices - they bring down countries!

Nicely Put.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Nicely Put.
    i once worked for a large american company in manchester in security,as all the managers were american [this was about the same time the terrorists hit new york] my top bosses were from the FBI, they would turn up twice a year to check on me,this to me was great fun as soon as i spotted them i would say --daffodils are yellow this year- and they allways pretended to be pissed off -the daft thing is the pair of them dressed in black suits and ties-just like on films

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dose Ireland have an intelligence agency?
    No, but we have plenty of Unintelligence Agencies...boom boom!

Not surprising considering we don't have an Air Force capable of rapid interception...but there ya go, shure who'd be bothered bombing little old us when the money is better spent on storage facilities for unused voting machines and making sure our leader is paid more than Barack Omaba.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Maybe we should ask O'Bama to be our Taoiseach....

Maybe we should ask O'Bama to be our Taoiseach....

That's a great idea. In one swift move of upper management, we get to triple the I.Q. of our leader.

I'm up for it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The guy wrote: »
    That's because we're not really a threat to anybody and so have never been attacked.
    Going to get flamed for this...

Ireland is a huge threat, in a certain way. One reason we were occupied by Britain in the past: To prevent us being used as a base by another country to attack Britain. One main reason we never had to worry about invasions since becoming independent: We are "an unsinkable aircraft carrier" right off the coast of Britain and Western Europe - Both would defend us to counter the threat to themselves.

Our geographical location still makes us an ideal location for a military base. The mere possibility of being used as one led to us being occupied before. Now we are letting ourselves be used as a military base. This is not a good idea.

Hey! Just to make *absolutely* certain we get attacked, lets take a few hundred suspected terrorists that the USA have been abusing for the last few years! They'll like us because - well hey we're irish - and barack obama is such a cool dude that all of a sudden everyone's going to love each other and forget that whole blind hatred thing they've had going on.

The Irish policy of neutrality made a whole lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

The guy wrote: »
    That's because we're not really a threat to anybody and so have never been attacked.
    if you want to believe that dont read this----www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1982170/posts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Not surprising considering we don't have an Air Force capable of rapid interception...but there ya go, shure who'd be bothered bombing little old us when the money is better spent on storage facilities for unused voting machines and making sure our leader is paid more than Barack Omaba.

Well you can blame the Government for that one. Sure why would we need a decent defence budget that would allow us to buy all the kit we need? Since we're neutral and all that craic :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

IRISH RAIL wrote: »
    G2 is a military intelligence not a secret service
    the closest in Ireland is the c3 crime and security division which operates from the Phoenix park
    one of the only departments to give money back from there budget and are quite sucsessful

The OP asked do we have an Intelligence Service, G2 is one.

He also asked if said Intelligence Service keep an eye on what's going on around the world so Ireland isn't kept in the dark. Funnily enough, G2 tends to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

That's a great idea. In one swift move of upper management, we get to triple the I.Q. of our leader.

I'm up for it. :D

Triple? I fear you are being too kind to Mr 'I'll do it my way':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The Garda Football Intelligence Unit. :D

"Paddy, who manages Man United?"

"Fergie, sagre."

"You're working the FAI Cup Final this weekend, son."

Seriously. We do have one.
    Even more seriously, I wish all our other Agencies \ Departments had some intelligence.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

Fizman wrote: »
    Yes. Isn't it called the I.I.I.I.I?

The Irish Intelligence Institute of the Island of Ireland.

more like J.J.J.J.Jaysus lads whats goin on?

galwayrush wrote: »
    ...I wish all our other Agencies \ Departments had some intelligence.:rolleyes:
    They do, trust me they do. However, what is done with the real relevant information they provide to our glorious leader, is another thing altogether.

Look at ex-pres' Bush. He had all the info in the world yet he could only see WMD under Sadams bed. He went ahead with his own mad plans according to his "philosophy".

To quote Cowan on the 27th of this month, "As long as I am running this Government, I will run it as I see fit, as I believe in, based on my philosophy."
    Any intelligence provided - no matter how good - is useless when muppets disregard it immediately and carry on with their own warped agenda.

They do, trust me they do. However, what is done with the real relevant information they provide to our glorious leader, is another thing altogether.

Look at ex-pres' Bush. He had all the info in the world yet he could only see WMD under Sadams bed. He went ahead with his own mad plans according to his "philosophy".

To quote Cowan on the 27th of this month, "As long as I am running this Government, I will run it as I see fit, as I believe in, based on my philosophy."
    Any intelligence provided - no matter how good - is useless when muppets disregard it immediately and carry on with their own warped agenda.

That is very well put, and bloody scary at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

Poccington wrote: »
    The OP asked do we have an Intelligence Service, G2 is one.

He also asked if said Intelligence Service keep an eye on what's going on around the world so Ireland isn't kept in the dark. Funnily enough, G2 tends to do that.

were getting into sticks and stones here
    I think the best thing to answer the op question is to define the role of each agency in ireland between security, secret and military.
    G2 as everyone knows is Military Intelligence who investigate threats to Ireland as well as other things.
    C3 I would considir to be a security service like MI5 as oppose a secret service who cary out purley operations abroad like MI6.

In the great scheme of things I would consider them both to be secret services as thier remit intwines with a number of what we would percieve as agencys (based on the UKs model of services).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

using an Israeli system which no doubt phones home

Advertisement