Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 Limerick To Nenagh Construction

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Believe it or not, the Nenagh to Limerick scheme is marked as open and operational on Google Earth!
    Weird.

Regarding those concrete poles, I don't know what exactly they are, but I suspect they will carry the mainline over a particularly deep bog.

By the way lads - I had some hassle getting those photos.
    On a very narrow L road close to Silvermines I had to stop, open a gate, cross a small rail line and close the gate behind me again twice before proceeding to climb one of the steepest hills I've ever encountered (my poor '96 Golf protests sometimes at even moderate hills, so it was quite an effort!). Then at Daly's Cross I turned left to go down an un-named L road which led to a godforsaken bog. The L road was like the Sea of Tranquility. There were mega potholes everywhere. I could only drive at about walking speed, and even that was dodge. To top it all off I had the window rolled down as it was such a nice evening, and a black and white dog shot out from a house and nearly bit my elbow off. That L road proved fruitless in the end after all that. Still, I'll go back there in July I think to see how things are coming along.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd presume the posts will either be piledriven further or cut off then? Otherwise thats going to be one incredibly steep rise :D

No idea...they've looked like that since at least November 2008. Berty, an engineer who posts occasionally on the M7 thread in the Infrastructure forum, commented on them here:
    In this image you see many many structures. I am considering this to be one single structure. As this area is an utter bog I am going to presume these are the structural beams to support the carraigeway from dipping/sinking and to prevent water build up around the carraigeway due to the lack of drainage.

Nenagh-Limerick2.jpg
    Nenagh-Limerick4.jpg

So, let's see where we're at.

1) Almost all structures seem to be complete.
    2) The Nenagh Bypass is still a mess.
    3) Pavement works have picked up and are now progressing well. Asphalt and sub-base is flying down, and there is good progress with concrete barrier installation.
    4) Quite a bit of drainage works still to do.
    5) Landscaping works seem to be very unadvanced.

I predict an opening in late October, possibly November. This year anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I can see this finding its way into early 2010 very easily. Last time I was on the Nenagh Bypass and saw the M7 work at either end was quite a while ago, but it just seems too optimistic to expect it to open this year. On the bright side, at least the M7/M8 scheme has picked up somewhat.

I'm putting my money on February next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

CRG pile drove similar posts to the ones seen in the pics above into the marsh land around Grannagh Junction last year on the Waterford City Bypass

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I can see this finding its way into early 2010 very easily. Last time I was on the Nenagh Bypass and saw the M7 work at either end was quite a while ago, but it just seems too optimistic to expect it to open this year. On the bright side, at least the M7/M8 scheme has picked up somewhat.

I'm putting my money on February next year.

You could well be right. I'm basing my estimate on the progress made on the M8 Cashel to Cullahill (C-C) scheme, which was in many respects behind where the Nenagh to Limerick (N-L) scheme is now, as late as late June 2008.

Nenagh to Limerick has a small number of outstanding structures to complete. It's worth bearing in mind that two M8 overbridges at Urlingford weren't complete by August 2008; yet they were done in time for the early December opening. So, with most of the N-L structures complete and fully operational, and with only a few outstanding, it is very possible for them to be done by mid-autumn this year.

Similarly the pavement: I think the contractors seem to have sorted this aspect of the works out. Very considerable progress was made with all aspects (CBM/sub-base, asphalt, and concrete barrier) during the last nine weeks. This, to me, indicates that many of the problems seem to have been solved. The Nenagh Bypass upgrade is still a huge issue, however. It remains a big mess.

It all depends on how much of a handle the contractors have on the problems that plagued the project over the winter months. If the issues have all been resolved, then it can certainly open before the close of the year. If not, then yes, we could be looking at next year. But, we should bear in mind that contractors will be reluctant to lay the wearing course before March, so if it falls back to 2010, then we can probably say with some confidence that it won't open until at least May or June of that year. But based on what I saw yesterday, I find it hard to believe that there's another 12 months of construction left to do.

I admit that I am being optimistic, and perhaps a little foolish as well for comparing the N-L contractors to the professionals that are Roadbridge Sisk JV. But I am well impressed with pavement progress made in the past few weeks; and I do see cause for *some* optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jrichardca

As a long ago emigrant from Nenagh I'm fascinated by how things have progressed (with the exception perhaps of local councillors!). It took a very long time to re-do the road from Springfort to the Five Alley back in the early 60's and it was dubbed the 'golden mile' at the time. Likewise the boggy area east of Daly's cross was a big 'achievement when it was upgraded. To think that there will be motorway between Nenagh and Limerick would have been impossible when I was a boy.
    What is the anticipated opening for full M7 from Limerick to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Late 2010.

It's too early to say for sure if that'll be met - but I would be cautiously optimistic.

• Advertisement

jrichardca, all of the interurbans, including the M7, will be finished by late 2010.

Regarding the M7, this might interest you:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jrichardca

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

This road should be finished this year for sure, i can't see why they wouldn't complete it this year, rather than having to bring them back after xmas again, just to touch up. It's very likely it will finish by Oct, Nov.

I can't wait to drive on this road when it opens.

Btw guys the Castletown scheme is really progressin well. The monegal area has already begun it last level of final surfacing before the Asphalt goes on top of it. The Borris in Ossary roundabout is almost done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

On Nenagh to Limerick there are two bad sections of bog, Annaholty and Dromminboy. The Annaholty Bog can be seen from the current N7 by the Roadstone plant at Gooig. This is longest section of bog crossing. If anyone is interested there are a number of bog-tracks that intersect the spread which can be accessed from the N7 between Gooig and Daly's Cross. The other section of bog is near the level crossing between Daly's Cross and Lisnagry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Heh, would you believe my grandmother sold her plot of land a number of years ago to accommodate the construction works near Gooig.:)

There is a regional road that goes right through a section of the bog off the Newport road connecting to the current Dublin road, where a fly-over has been built for the motorway. It would make an idea area to have a view of the site if anyone is interested in doing so.

Also, all the blasting works have been finished at Birdhill now I think - a mighty lot of rock was removed.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

A few photos updates of the M7

Southbound from the R504
    DSC01865.jpg

Northbound from the R504
    DSC01863.jpg

Mainline at Nenagh
    DSC01859.jpg

Underpass
    DSC01861.jpg

The above is one of several underpasses Ive seen. I couldnt belive how many local roads I had to take off the N7 to get to an overbridge- the rest were underpasses. The Mainline under the R504 looks like it has its final layer of asphalt done on the northbound lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It looks very straight, I though it was more modern practise to build curvy roads to keep some level of driver involvement to reduce falling asleep at the wheel issues. Compare the free and unfree sections of the M4

I know the Nenagh bypass was already built.

I know the Nenagh bypass was already built.

Yes and the upgrade progress still seems to be very slow. The upgrade is looking harder than they first had thought. The tie in with the N7 southern ring road is still at a snails pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I do Dublin > Ballyb most weekends and been slowing looking at this take shape. Any idea when they will start opening completed sections?

Tragedy wrote: »
    I do Dublin > Ballyb most weekends and been slowing looking at this take shape. Any idea when they will start opening completed sections?

Neneagh - Limerick should be done for the end of the year when it was actually meant to be completed this month. Any chance you could take a few photos if ever you pass this section of road on your travels? Does anyone have a map of the overbridges as there was so many underpasses seen on route the other day would be easier than wasting time travelling down a local road to no avail.

• Advertisement

tech2 wrote: »
    Yes and the upgrade progress still seems to be very slow. The upgrade is looking harder than they first had thought. The tie in with the N7 southern ring road is still at a snails pace.

From the Dublin road to Dolla Road bridge is full blown motorway. I checked a few weeks ago at the Dolla road bridge, its seems narrow, can they fit a narrow HS under the bridge. From the Dolla road bridge to the Limerick end whats the width here? The bridge just beyond the Dolla that is fairly wide and can fit the HS under it.

I wonder could they not speed it up now since the only major work left is the final laying. The earthworks, bridges, tie ins are fairly advanced. The final layer is already been layed, but just at a slow pace.

mysterious wrote: »
    From the Dublin road to Dolla Road bridge is full blown motorway. I checked a few weeks ago at the Dolla road bridge, its seems narrow, can they fit a narrow HS under the bridge. From the Dolla road bridge to the Limerick end whats the width here? The bridge just beyond the Dolla that is fairly wide and can fit the HS under it.

I wonder could they not speed it up now since the only major work left is the final laying. The earthworks, bridges, tie ins are fairly advanced. The final layer is already been layed, but just at a slow pace.

Which overbridge is it Im not too sure of the names. Theres 3 crossovers on the Nenagh bypass: R500, R497 and the R498. I can imagine some of them are going to be tight as they were originally meant to cover WS2. Picture updates would be great mysterious if you get the chance sometime.

Yep laying the concrete barriers and the last layers of asphalt stages are on several sections of the scheme right now. But the problem was this was meant to be entirely finished by now which is a disgrace IMO.

Which overbridge is it Im not too sure of the names. Theres 3 crossovers on the Nenagh bypass: R500, R497 and the R498. I can imagine some of them are going to be tight as they were originally meant to cover WS2. Picture updates would be great mysterious if you get the chance sometime.

Yep laying the concrete barriers and the last layers of asphalt stages are on several sections of the scheme right now. But the problem was this was meant to be entirely finished by now which is a disgrace IMO.

Would you believe it i have like 30/40 pics already, but lost the cables for the camera, when I find them I'll upload them.

There is a local overbridge, between dolla road bridge and limerick bridge which is fairly wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 smashingred

Can they not just open some sections of it then?

Work is very scattered on the route, Minister cullen really ****ed up on selecting the right the contractor:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭bacon&cabbage

Towards the end of last year and start of this year there was virtually no work completed on this section, but over the last couple of weeks it has really picked up.

Do they not have to allow backfill to settle for a few months before laying asphalt ?
    If so I think it might be a push to get the newport interchange finished by the end of the year.

Do they not have to allow backfill to settle for a few months before laying asphalt ?
    If so I think it might be a push to get the newport interchange finished by the end of the year.

It depends on a few factors. It does take time for the backfill to settle but it varies. Water in the soil can take longer to dry and settle in some cases. There is quick ways of getting around this but the last thing we want to see is substandard depressed surfaces and cracks on the dual carriageways in a few years time. And it wont suprise me if this does happen in some routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I emailed www.midwestroads.ie and was advised that the new opening date set by the contractor is December 2009. So the road is seven months behind.

The Nenagh bypass upgrade appears to be moving along quickly though, hopefully that section will be open soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Was in Limerick today and the view from the Nenagh bypass heading SW towards the N52 junction looks great - or should when it is finished. December will be the earliest opening date by my estimation. Way behind. I wonder will the Minister say at the opening ceremony "another roads project delivered behind schedule and...."? Guess not.

• Advertisement

lukejr wrote: »
    I emailed www.midwestroads.ie and was advised that the new opening date set by the contractor is December 2009. So the road is seven months behind.

The Nenagh bypass upgrade appears to be moving along quickly though, hopefully that section will be open soon.

Here is a few photos on the M7 Thread over on the infrastructure forum. It should be finished for the end of the year:
    A few more updates, I found this overbridge off the ballinahinch road. Its very near the bridhill interchange. I went around a few road lanes to find a closer one but no overbridge near the interchange itself it seems. Just a warning to not try these little roads I will never go on them again very poor condition with massive potholes. (best to use ballinahinch road parralel to the new motorway)

Looking southbound
    3697572515_f5e0842c76.jpg?v=0

Looking northbound
    3697568595_560355f962.jpg?v=0

Gantry on the mainline
    ]3698375706_c2fa012cf5.jpg?v=0

Advertisement