Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 Limerick To Nenagh Construction

Options
  • 24-01-2009 3:44am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if work on the N7 Nenagh To Limerick construction is going through difficulties?

I have noticed that work at both the roundabout at the Finnegans exit and the Birdhill exit has virtually come to a standstill since Christmas. The project was well ahead of time a few months back, but things do seem to have slowed down - it is due for opening in Q2 of this year afterall.

There was controversy with sub contractors before Christmas, as they were not paid. Anyone know how long is left for construction?

M7 subcontractors to be paid 'before Christmas'
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Dunno, but it looks like the upgrade of the Nenagh Bypass from standard two lane road to narrow motorway is on track for Q2 - it's part of the Limerick-Nenagh scheme (although it would seem the eastern junction on the bypass is part of Nenagh-Castletown). You can even see some blue signs up (covers came off them) - the 3-2-1 markers for the new Thurles junction as you proceed west.

I've seen work on the westernmost junction/tie-in to the upgraded Nenagh bypass too, and work on other sections of the route between Nenagh and Limerick.

I agree the work on the flyover for the N7/M7 at Newport Roundabout outside Limerick seems to have stalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It's important to remember that on such road schemes the contractors often divide the road into two or three sections, and often concentrate on one of these at a time. But at the same time, something's definitely not quite right on that particular scheme.

Well, my guess is it will actually be early Q4 that the scheme is finished. Maybe late Q3 if the weather is good throughout May/June (not unusual, it was good weather in Limerick from early May until two weeks into June last year despite the overall poor summer).

Guys, we really need to get some photos of the M7 schemes! We have none, apart from a few contributions from Quirke Folder/Berty on the infrastructure forum, but even these are now 2 months or more out of date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Coffey are doing the Nenagh bypass bit from what I know. The unpaid subbies were working further south and not for Coffey ... and have not been paid yet either .

Q2 2009 is but a pipedream bar the Nenagh Bypass widening perhaps .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

My bet is the end of the year as well. There has been something wrong with this scheme for a while now. It wasn't going as fast as it should've been.

I get the same feeling from the Portlaoise-Castletown scheme. Progress seems too slow. It's too early to start making predictions about Castetown-Nenagh at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

BluntGuy wrote: »

I get the same feeling from the Portlaoise-Castletown scheme. Progress seems too slow. It's too early to start making predictions about Castetown-Nenagh at this stage.

feeling?? In other words you dont know.:rolleyes:

Have you actually seen the progress on the Nenagh to castletown road? Or your just basing ur assumptions on feelings??

I passed it the other day. The Moneygall earthworks, is massive. The Castletown scheme is on target. There is a slight delay in the Nenagh to Limerick section, but NRA state it will finish in in Q2 this year. Nobody actually knows when it will be completed.

It really annoys me when people, ramble.........

The Nenagh bypass, what is the actual width of the new road. It can be motorway width all the way from the Toomevara end apart, from the Five alley to Dolla road overbridge been narrow (the Limerick side) These two bridges are too narrow for a full blown motorway

mysterious wrote: »
    I passed it the other day. The Moneygall earthworks, is massive.

Mysterious is it possible for you to take some photographs at some point?

The Nenagh bypass, what is the actual width of the new road. It can be motorway width all the way from the Toomevara end apart, from the Five alley to Dolla road overbridge been narrow (the Limerick side) These two bridges are too narrow for a full blown motorway

The width on each carriageway is 2 narrow running lanes and a hard shoulder that is narrower still than the running lanes (about the width of the new M50 lanes - i.e. standard European width rather than the wide ones we are accustomed to). You can observe the finished cross-section including concrete median barrier at the eastern end of the bypass - the final surface has even been applied on the westbound carriageway (if not both carriageways now) between the west side of the eastern-most bridge, and the new Thurles Road junction.

It looks like there will be "gaps" in the hard shoulder over/under a couple of the bridges. The bridges at either end of the bypass look a tight squeeze for even the running lanes.

It'll certainly be one of the most cobbled-together bits of motorway in the country when it's done. Not a bad acheivement to upgrade standard two lane carriageway (not wide two lane) to two-lane motorway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

It'll be interesting to see how they do it, as the same ideas will have to be used with the Croom bypass is dualled for the M20, and the long term plans to do Midleton - Youghal will involve dualling the Youghal bypass.

There were further details on the problem with this scheme in last week's Tipperary Star (dated Jan. 17 2009, p. 1.12).

Basically, in summation:

* Serious doubt has been cast over the project as the payment-to-contractor problems deepen;
    * The deadline of May 2009 is "unlikely" to be met;
    * Over 25 sub-contractors working on the project continue to be owed money by Portuguese company RAC Eire;
    * Coffey Construction, one of the trinity of companies making up Bothair Hibernian, the main NRA contractor, did not return to work after Christmas;
    * Work originally to be carried out by RAC Eire has now been taken over by Moto Engil, another componant company making up Bothair Eireann;
    * Nenagh SF Councillor Seamie Morris has written to the Portuguese Ambassador to request that the Portuguese Government intervene in the situation;
    * RAC Eire has "departed" from the project.

By the way, there are some quare folk in Nenagh:

"Allowing North Tipperary's road network to deteriorate might help slow traffic and reduce fatalities caused by car accidents, the county's mayor, Councillor Joe Hennessy declared this week." -- The Nenagh Guardian, 24 January 2009, p. 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Furet wrote: »
    By the way, there are some quare folk in Nenagh:

"Allowing North Tipperary's road network to deteriorate might help slow traffic and reduce fatalities caused by car accidents, the county's mayor, Councillor Joe Hennessy declared this week." -- The Nenagh Guardian, 24 January 2009, p. 3.

Honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Yet another public figure attributing road accidents to speed and only speed. I honestly don't know how it's not obvious to people that bad roads play just as big (if not bigger) a part as speed. It's hardly coincidence that, despite there being many more cars on the road now, we've had the lowest road deaths since the early 60s in this country in the same year we've replaced a lot of lethal N roads with brand new motorways which are many times safer. But, yeah, we may aswell let our roads deteriorate to the point where people will lose control of their cars when the hit the big potholes/bumps in the road. It can only help reduce road deaths...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

feeling?? In other words you dont know.:rolleyes:

[snip]

It really annoys me when people, ramble.........
    Jayz this board would get fierce quiet if you had your way :D

:D

And maybe if it deteriorates enough: nobody will drive anywhere and there'll be NO accidents.

Why didn't anybody think of this before?
    Basically, in summation:

* Serious doubt has been cast over the project as the payment-to-contractor problems deepen;
    * The deadline of May 2009 is "unlikely" to be met;
    * Over 25 sub-contractors working on the project continue to be owed money by Portuguese company RAC Eire;
    * Coffey Construction, one of the trinity of companies making up Bothair Hibernian, the main NRA contractor, did not return to work after Christmas;
    * Work originally to be carried out by RAC Eire has now been taken over by Moto Engil, another componant company making up Bothair Eireann;
    * Nenagh SF Councillor Seamie Morris has written to the Portuguese Ambassador to request that the Portuguese Government intervene in the situation;
    * RAC Eire has "departed" from the project.

Slightly different to the NRA's assurances that things were going fine only a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has to be the single most idiotic thing ever said by an Irish councillor, and that's saying something ;)

Mysterious is it possible for you to take some photographs at some point?

Furet, I will do over the next week or two. Anytime I was on the N7 lately it was dark.

I actually passed the whole length of the Nenagh bypass this evening. Zoney is right the road is defenately full blown motorway, and the reclassification will go through no problem I'm sure. Infact from the Toomevara bridge to the Thurles interchange. it's already finished with a full width motorway. The lanes do look a bit narrower or something from my perception, maybe it's just cus the bollards are on the white lines, making it appear tighter. There is even a hard shoulder and has a proper standard width of 2.5m, so thats a good sign. I was observing the bridges, the Dolla and the Limerick end bridges are pain in the ****ing ar***. Even back in 1999 they should of at least given room for widening in future reference. I just can't understand it. I remember reading sources and listening to the local politicians around the time of the planning of this bypass. They were actually considering building it as motorway or at least dual carriegway. The Nenagh bypass began around the same time as the Arklow bypass (which was built with simalar type junctions but having an extra lane rather than being S2. The first two bridges on the Nenagh bypass were planned too narrow. This was the Tipp council's fault at the time. They made a b*** of it. So The main contractor Coffey just build according to what they were told too. To prove my case, the next bridge past the N52/R445 five alley flyover, is actually very wide and can easily fit a full blown cross section motorway with 4 running 3.5 lanes, 3.5metre median and two HS.

It was a really stupid blunder with the Nenagh bypass now that they are spending millions to work around these bridges!. Just by undoing the mistakes of the past. Can we learn :mad:
    The bridges are just simply redicoulously narrow for the standard type of road they put in. I.e a two lane road with motorway charististics interchanges etc and no grade/level crossing traffic.

On a side note, The very year the Nenagh bypass was opened Fianna fail planned the interurbans:rolleyes: so ****ing ironic eh. The Nenagh bypass was officially outdated the week it opened. Sometimes I really wonder how we actually manage to have such retarded dinosaurs running this country.............

mfitzy wrote: »
    Has to be the single most idiotic thing ever said by an Irish councillor, and that's saying something ;)

I actually think it has to be some sort publicity stunt. it's that retarded. It appeared on all the local papers.

It's a bit Like Tom cruise going on about scientology to get publicity.

This local politician fits into this lunacy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Sometimes I really wonder how we actually manage to have such retarded dinosaurs running this country.............

Because we keep voting the same muppets in time & again. One definition of madness is to continuously repeat the same pattern and expect a different result. Seems very apt in this country.

I had a look at this today.

Firstly I recorded a video of the Nenagh Bypass as it was today, from east to west. For some reason I can't embed videos here anymore, so here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQKmkUuVGQ

Secondly, I have some pictures...

The N-L scheme looking towards the tie-in with the Nenagh Bypass from the Limerick side.
    N-LstartpointwithNenaghBypass.jpg

The N-L scheme looking towards Limerick from just off the N7 past the Limerick end of the Nenagh Bypass.
    N-LclosetoNenaghlookingtoLimerick.jpg

The L-N scheme close to Birdhill looking towards Limerick.
    N-LclosetoBirdhilllookingtoLimerick.jpg

The L-N scheme close to Birdhill looking towards Nenagh.
    N-LclosetoBirdhilllookingtoDublin.jpg

It was difficult to get more pictures, because there aren't many overbridges along this section. Mostly, underpasses are used to realign the L and R roads. I think this will be a stunning drive when it's finished - but that's the catch, isn't it? From what I've seen, this scheme is now well behind the M8 M-F scheme. We can certainly rule out an opening of the M7 between Limerick and Nenagh before Q3 (and maybe even Q4) 2009.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the pictures and the video Furet. Great stuff as usual.

Nenagh Bypass - bits of it really look very tight. It's already apparent at this stage that substantial chunks of it won't have full-width hard shoulder.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Thanks for the pictures and the video Furet. Great stuff as usual.

Nenagh Bypass - bits of it really look very tight. It's already apparent at this stage that substantial chunks of it won't have full-width hard shoulder.

Well they are knocking the Arch bridge on the Toomevara exit. So this means that there will be a HS from The entire bypass till you meet the Dolla road bridge. The bridge between Dollar and Limerick N52 overpass is wide enough to allow full HS. But the bridge at Limerick N52 should be knocked.

Its far to narrow and IMO it should be knocked. It is not acceptable given the fact that the M7 Limerick section ties right up to this narrow bridge.

I agree with Furet the M7 Limerick secion will be a stunning drive, it goes through untouched valleys. The road gradient and height is vastly different to that of the old N7. The old N7 is mainly on high ground.

The Viaduct over Kilmastulla and the Railway will be fairly cool, it would be simalar to the Blackwater viaduct over the Fermoy Bypass. I will take pics next week too furet. I have some pictures already, but I dont have the wires for the camera, so I have to get that so I can upload onto the computer.

Thanks for the pics also furet. :)

Furet is it possible for you to tell me, what type of overbridges did they put in on the M7 Limerick section? I know there is very little overbridges, as not many significant roads cross the motorway as they are all local roads mainly that would be best as underpasses.

Are they the typical two pier span on either side, that gives no room for widining or is it one median pier with verges on the sides. The Cullahil Cashel schemes has many wide bridges. The Fermoy bypass has those horrible two pier overbridges.

Hope you can clarify this for me.

Yikes...I'm trying to remember...but I can't for sure. I think the pillars were in the centre of the road, not at the edges. I can't visualise anything else about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Honestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Thx again for pics and vids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Furet is it possible for you to tell me, what type of overbridges did they put in on the M7 Limerick section? I know there is very little overbridges, as not many significant roads cross the motorway as they are all local roads mainly that would be best as underpasses.

Are they the typical two pier span on either side, that gives no room for widining or is it one median pier with verges on the sides. The Cullahil Cashel schemes has many wide bridges. The Fermoy bypass has those horrible two pier overbridges.

Hope you can clarify this for me.

I've bad news for you mate! :(

Looking at the first of Furet's pictures, the bridge in the background looks (though very faint) like a 3-span structure with pillars at the verges.

Sorry about that!

I've bad news for you mate! :(

Looking at the first of Furet's pictures, the bridge in the background looks (though very faint) like a 3-span structure with pillars at the verges.

Sorry about that!

I take it back...

...that bridge is the N52 link at the end of the Nenagh By-pass - previously thought it was a shot looking towards Limerick.

Sorry mate! :o:o:o

Well spotted I&P. I'm not sure if that distant bridge is original to the Nenagh Bypass, or if it's part of the new L-N section. It looks new though.

• Advertisement

Well spotted I&P. I'm not sure if that distant bridge is original to the Nenagh Bypass, or if it's part of the new L-N section.

I sure it's the former, because the circular loop is visible! :o

Nice vid of the Nenagh By-pass though! :)

Regards!

Advertisement