Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny / Waterford Motorway opening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow that's great. Have they announced a planned opening date yet?

Was supposed to be Mid-decemeber but posters over on the Infrastructure forum reckon it will be Mid-January at this stage; I'm hoping they are wrong though they are probably correct :(

On the plus side, Kilcullen-Carlow should open in matterof weeks.

Signs for the new M9 have been erected now at the Danesfort junction. They are just blanked out with plastic for the minute. Still no official word. Doesn't seem to be likely before Christmas I think.
    The Kilcullen section should open though very shortly. Motorway all the way to Dublin just 20 mins from Kilkenny is very close now :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mfitzy wrote: »
    Signs for the new M9 have been erected now at the Danesfort junction. They are just blanked out with plastic for the minute. Still no official word. Doesn't seem to be likely before Christmas I think.
    The Kilcullen section should open though very shortly. Motorway all the way to Dublin just 20 mins from Kilkenny is very close now :)

Munster Express was suggesting a February opening on the last edition of the paper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Kilcullen to Carlow section of the M9 motorway will open to traffic on Monday next, December 21st.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Kilcullen to Carlow section of the M9 motorway will open to traffic on Monday next, December 21st.

Meant to say it here, I passed by it there on Sunday and she was looking ready to rock and roll, Castledermott is probably the biggest pain in the gary between Dublin and KK at the moment.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I like that Texaco that you pass en route between Castledermot and Kilcullen. What a shame it will be bypassed.

Their forecourt fare is quite palletable. I have swallyed a fair quare few breakfast rolls out of that place, let me tell you, and they hit the spot like nobodies business.

Their warm, brown, coffee flavoured beverage is not that disgusting either.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I like that Texaco that you pass en route between Castledermot and Kilcullen. What a shame it will be bypassed.

Their forecourt fare is quite palletable. I have swallyed a fair quare few breakfast rolls out of that place, let me tell you, and they hit the spot like nobodies business.

Their warm, brown, coffee flavoured beverage is not that disgusting either.

Can still pull off at Junction 3 to it. There is a link road over to the old N9 and it's not far. The Priory will feel the pinch too, was always nice for a spot of lunch.

Indeed.

But with the journey so quick now will people bother pulling in at all anymore? I doubt it.

How long will it take now, one wonders? I've done it in 59 Minutes.

Discussions over on the Infrastructure forum re Kilcullen-Carlow M9;
    may not open next Monday pm as had been planned "as Minister Dempsey is not available til January to open it" basically. Absolutely disgraceful if true as road is ready to go. And as anyone here that has been stuck in hell Castledermot this week like me will be extra mad.
    Get emailing to noel.dempsey@oireachtas.ie to highlight your disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If he isn't available, get someone else. I'll go up and open it if they are stuck for someone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

And as anyone here that has been stuck in hell Castledermot this week like me will be extra mad.

Work in Castledermot is supposed to be finished with today from what I hear,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

This has just been discussed on Newstalk and it looks like it's the local TD that has been pushing for it not to open just yet so that local business isn't affected

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Typical parish pump politics. Grrrr, Fianna fail at its best..

Methinks this could seriously backfire on them on Noel Dempsey and Sean Power though.
    This is going to be everywhere today, all over the airwaves I'd say. The current road is a shambles, absolutely lethal and with a forecast of ice and snow for the next week , Dempsey and Power will have blood on their hands if anything tragic occurs on this road. Plus the cost to the taxpayer will be in the region of
    €1.8m by the time the road opens, ridiculous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fully complete motorway, with no traffic? *starts putting on cycling gear*

Seriously though, that's one of the crappest excuses ever, a petrol station will lose some business, he's going to have to bite the bullet at some stage.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Fully complete motorway, with no traffic? *starts putting on cycling gear*

Seriously though, that's one of the crappest excuses ever, a petrol station will lose some business, he's going to have to bite the bullet at some stage.

Well if he can stop the opening of a motorway, he must be one hell of a big donor to the FF party!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

opening is happening on Monday again apparently

I was actually thinking of rounding up a few desperados to go up there and open the motorway some night next week if the postponement went ahead as planned. I was passing it today, all it would take is about 4 lads to shift some traffic cones.

That tool Dempsey was on the radio today spouting some rubbish along the lines of "oh sure bejaysis I knew nothing about it, i was in Brussels all this time, ho ho ho merry Christmas!".

OK Noel. You are the minister for transport and you knew nothing about the deferrment of opening of a primary route in your country? That's even WORSE than deferring it intentionally to appease a petrol station owner, if I do say so myself.

I actually didn't think it was possible to become any more enraged at the calibre of mongoloid that is running this state, I am acutally almost shaking just thinking about it. I simply cannot wait until the next election when these fkin bstrds get fk'd out on the street and replaced.

Though that probably won't happen. it's Fianna Fail. They'll get back in.

AND I am boycotting that fkface Texaco garage from now on. They can stick their delicious breakfast rolls up their holes, for all I care, and they can lobby to get them out again till the cows come home. I'll be passing at 120kph (+10% for speed decection equipment error) on my merry way to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

fabbydabby wrote: »
    AND I am boycotting that fkface Texaco garage from now on. They can stick their delicious breakfast rolls up their holes, for all I care, and they can lobby to get them out again till the cows come home. I'll be passing at 120kph (+10% for speed decection equipment error) on my merry way to Dublin.

You can hardly blame the petrol station for asking, I would too if I thought I could make a couple of extra thousand. The fault lies with the people who entertained the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

well people, anyone get onto to the new kilcullen -powerstown stretch today? whats it like, journey times, etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

gunner11 wrote: »
    well people, anyone get onto to the new kilcullen -powerstown stretch today? whats it like, journey times, etc etc.

The Carlow board contains reports of an astonishing 20 mins. from Kilcullen to Tinryland all within speed limit.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Carlow board contains reports of an astonishing 20 mins. from Kilcullen to Tinryland all within speed limit.:)
    10 minutes so?

Reckon the new road has brought Citywest/Newlands Cross well in or around the 1 hour mark from Kilkenny now which is great. Roll on the next bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Hopr

Reckon the new road has brought Citywest/Newlands Cross well in or around the 1 hour mark from Kilkenny now which is great. Roll on the next bit :)

Drove back from Dublin tonight, took me about an Hour and ten minutes from Newlands Cross. [100kph>110kph].

Hopr.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

was on it last night myself - what a fantastic piece of infrastructure, takes the pain away from driving - but also so annoying when u hit the old road again near loughlinbridge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

yeah its ready to knoctopher then its a field till march.............

Hopr wrote: »
    Drove back from Dublin tonight, took me about an Hour and ten minutes from Newlands Cross. [100kph>110kph].

Hopr.

Yep, very good going considering the wether/road conditions. The rest of the road opening will bring it down under the hour mark, which will be a huge boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

drove Kilkenny to Newlands cross in bang on 1 hour... road was very quite rush hour traffic will add a bit of time but still very easy drive. I was worried about some mad interchange connecting up with the existing motorway but it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Is there any concrete date yet for opening of the Waterford - Danesfort section yet?
    I remember last month there was something in the local papers about it being due to open December weather permitting, obviously that didn't happen.

I drove over the Danesfort interchange and seen they have the road markings now put down from Danesfort to Waterford direction. It'd be great if it did open soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bards

Is there any concrete date yet for opening of the Waterford - Danesfort section yet?
    I remember last month there was something in the local papers about it being due to open December weather permitting, obviously that didn't happen.

I drove over the Danesfort interchange and seen they have the road markings now put down from Danesfort to Waterford direction. It'd be great if it did open soon :)

Mid February weather permitting according to latest updates

Advertisement