Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny / Waterford Motorway opening?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Excellent thread here, tells you all you need to know. Should open in the next few months but no one is exactly sure. Road is almost complete bar a few little bits. And won't be tolled. Howver, the Waterford Bypass will be tolled over the new bridge crossing.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055372962

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm doing this route three times a week myself with two of the journeys around the 5pm/6pm time. I always get caught behind a tractor on this route too...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Cool thanks mfitz.

I'm stuck behind tractors all the time, you would want some patience altogether, there's a few log trucks I meet evey morning, sometimes I throw my toast at them in protest for going 40km/h up kills and speed up on straights so you cant get past. Damn loggers, spoiling everything.

Roll on the motorway, all you will see is a silver 121KM/HR blur - that'll be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

Also drive this road daily. What do you reckon the cheapest car with cruise control is? Will be handy for all these new motorways.

Pity the new Kilkenny Link Road is not going to be Dual carriageway, though at least it will be good and short and leading onto a Motorway.
    People dwell on the Waterford side because the current road is so woeful, but the Carlow side is far busier and even though it is a much better road, overtaking is quite limited due to shear volumes; always seems to be oncoming traffic so that will be a major relief too. Next summer seems to be what they are saying. Maybe earlier ;)

• Advertisement

Late December seems to be the more "definite" date being touted now, opening from Danefort Junction to Waterford which will be a fantastic Christmas present :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

What do you reckon on Kilcullen to carlow bypass section. Im a regular on the infrastructure forum and i heard it said that there is a road race on it at the end of this month. Surely that means it will be finished before christmas. The only section to do is the tie in with the current M9??

jiggajt wrote: »
    What do you reckon on Kilcullen to carlow bypass section. Im a regular on the infrastructure forum and i heard it said that there is a road race on it at the end of this month. Surely that means it will be finished before christmas. The only section to do is the tie in with the current M9??

I heard early/mid November weather permitting. Nothing definite as of yet. Yes, it is another huge one. We will have all Motorway then from almost the Kilkenny co boundary to Dublin which is hugely significant. Castledermot will be history at last :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    I heard early/mid November weather permitting. Nothing definite as of yet. Yes, it is another huge one. We will have all Motorway then from almost the Kilkenny co boundary to Dublin which is hugely significant. Castledermot will be history at last :D

Does this include the delay time? If they say November then I'd be going for March :pac:

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

jerseyeire wrote: »
    Does this include the delay time? If they say November then I'd be going for March :pac:

The Slieverue to Kilmeaden section is handed over on the 20th October if you're hearing November then it'll be November, mid-December the very latest weather dependant.

• Advertisement

What delay time? The thing is built/completed. They are just tying it in at kilcullen and a few other bits like lining (much of which is done)/signing it. Can't see it drag on 'til March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

trishw78 wrote: »
    The Slieverue to Kilmeaden section is handed over on the 20th October if you're hearing November then it'll be November, mid-December the very latest weather dependant.

The project that is being handed over on the 20th of October is the Wateford City Bypass (Slieverue to Kilmeaden) and nothing to do with the Waterford to Dublin Motorway (albeit a small tie in from the WCB to the M9).

The time delay I suspect is to do with the Waterford to Danesford section of the M9 which would be weather dependent and not the Carlow to Kilcullen section that Mfitzy was referring to

Some date in december from Kilkenny to Waterford for new M9 motorway;
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/December-date-for--new.5708746.jp

From cart-track to ALL motorway in one go ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Great. The current road puts me off going to Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Yay, will be able to cycle to Waterford without fearing for dear life (on the old road).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yay, will be able to cycle to Waterford without fearing for dear life (on the old road).

You wont be able to cycle on the new road..

But ya, old road will be a bit safer.

Not long to wait now....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

The sooner Mullinavat and their ignorant people are bypassed the better.

Driving back from Kilkenny with 3 children yesterday afternoon we were yet again subjected to another torrent of abuse from some adults in their 50's and 60's but at least this time they refrained from throwing stones at our car which they've done in the past.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

deisemum wrote: »

Driving back from Kilkenny with 3 children yesterday afternoon we were yet again subjected to another torrent of abuse from some adults in their 50's and 60's but at least this time they refrained from throwing stones at our car which they've done in the past.

wtf...seriously?
    In the many years of driving through Mullinavat I've never had any problems while I live in Kilkenny I do have a Waterford reged car

Cabaal wrote: »
    wtf...seriously?
    In the many years of driving through Mullinavat I've never had any problems while I live in Kilkenny I do have a Waterford reged car

Very serious. There have been reports in the national media both newspapers and radio stations in the past usually after Waterford matches where people have had stones thrown at their cars and this was carried out by adults and not children, plus other adults would be cheering on the scumbags. My husband and children were coming back from a match a while back and had stones thrown at the car.

Traffic was crawling through Mullinavat yesterday, I think there was a match on somewhere local or nearby as these old scumbags were wearing jerseys and were shouting obscenities at us. I do have a W reg car but I'm from Galway living in Waterford and had 3 children with me. This was around 5.30pm.

I'm only glad we stopped in Ballyhale for chips and not Mullinavat as originally planned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never had that problem, frequently drive through. I know that it happened in the Waterford Kilkenny hurling final but never once heard reports since.

Maybe these "men" are only brave enough to abuse women and children especially when they've a few drinks in them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Very serious. There have been reports in the national media both newspapers and radio stations in the past usually after Waterford matches where people have had stones thrown at their cars and this was carried out by adults and not children, plus other adults would be cheering on the scumbags. .

Very strange indeed, the day of the All Ireland in 2008 between Kilkenny & Waterford myself and the Mrs were driving around parts of Kilkenny including Thomastown etc

We passed loads of people at various places waving flags and cheering and each time we just peeped the horn and gave them a wave, again I was driving a W reged car so at first I was worried but didn't have any bother. (we didn't have any Kilkenny flags.stickers etc on the car)

If there's gob****es throwing stuff in Mullinavat then the Gardai should be catching the feckers

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It is the deep south afterall...
    episodearchive_090303.jpg

My mind boggles though to be serious.

I dunno, sure nobody lives in Mullinavat anyhow, it's tiny with one estate as far as I recall. Where did this happen. In all my years passing through the place I never bated an eyelid to it really.

It happened near one of the pubs so beer was more than likely involved considering the size of their beer guts.

It happened near one of the pubs so beer was more than likely involved considering the size of their beer guts.

That's unreal. Must be something to do with the match perhaps, there are some "rare breeds" down that way alright. However you get your kicks,but lowest of the low to shout abuse at kids. Please don't tar KK people with the one brush :)

Ah I don't tar them all with the same brush. I lived in South Kilkenny for 6 months before I crossed the bridge and met some of the friendliest people that I've encountered. ;)

Sure every county have their not so nice element.

See the new link road off the M9 is taking shape near Newpark/Hebron road with the N77 ring road. Must try and get up some pics amybe. The start of it at least looks to be dual carriageway or at least some kind of barrier segregating lanes at the start/end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

Wow that's great. Have they announced a planned opening date yet?

Advertisement