Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Just curious...do you prep it and leave it sitting out overnight? Would the food not become luke warm?

I refrigerate, but that's because I've a pretty warm kitchen. Then stick it in the slow cooker on low before I leave the house in the morning. Or, more accurately, I get halfway to work and realise I forgot to put it on, resulting in panicky phonecall the OH to see if he's left for work yet, and if not, get him to turn it on. This also usually coincides with me making a gorgeous lunch which also gets forgotten in the morning resulting in me morosely eating a limp deli sandwich at lunchtime instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Neyite wrote: »
    This also usually coincides with me making a gorgeous lunch which also gets forgotten in the morning resulting in me morosely eating a limp deli sandwich at lunchtime instead.

Nothing worse than thinking of your gorgeous lunch at home!

Will give refridgerating it a try...although I cooked big batches and doubt my fridge can fit the 6.5 liter pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

amdublin wrote: »
    Here is the recipe for General Tso's chicken again to save people trawling back pages for it.
    http://hostthetoast.com/crock-pot-general-tsos-chicken/

It gets the thumbs up from myself and Baldy Conscience.

And simple to make like most slow cooker recipes!

Have this just finishing of at the moment but used pork instead of chicken and its turned out lovely, bit of cornflour gone in at the end to thicken. The sause is lovely and rich. Next time only one clove of garlic though, think ill be in the spare room tonight :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Will give refridgerating it a try...although I cooked big batches and doubt my fridge can fit the 6.5 liter pot!

When space has been tight, say around Christmas and FridgeTetris is stretched to its limits, I've put a filled cool box outside our back door with stuff that would normally reside in the fridge. Mostly I stick to the low-risk items like vegetables and keep meats and dairy at a correct temperature in the fridge, but its a handy workaround and usually the temperature outside overnight and in a shaded area is cool enough in Ireland.

Its also great for the Christmas Beer and wine that needs chilling. Just make it secure enough that animals cant get to it. And add ice-packs if you want to be sure it stays cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

amdublin wrote: »
    Here is the recipe for General Tso's chicken again to save people trawling back pages for it.
    http://hostthetoast.com/crock-pot-general-tsos-chicken/

It gets the thumbs up from myself and Baldy Conscience.

And simple to make like most slow cooker recipes!

That looks and sounds delicious but Christ that's a lot of sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Theres a chance that the pot could crack if put from the fridge straight into the slow cooker. Best to keep the food in something else and then transfer into the slow cooker pot before cooking. A tupperware box or even a few sealable sandwich bags will work if space in the fridge is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

I would say there is as much of a chance of the ceramic pot suffering thermal shock just sitting on the counter, those things take ages to heat up, especially if the container is coming from the fridge.

Different ball game if going straight into a 200c oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

I've just thrown this into the slow cooker. my first time not browning beef so fingers crossed it works. I also added some Moroccan spice mix as it sounds a bit tagine like to me.

How did this turn out — would you have noticed the difference?

I would have thought that not having to brown meat would be a huge time saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

trmartin wrote: »
    How did this turn out — would you have noticed the difference?

I would have thought that not having to brown meat would be a huge time saving.

It was really good. I'm not sure if the large amount of spices i added compensated for not browning the beef so i'm thinking i will try a beef stew next time. Using my usual recipe but without browning or sauteing anything.

That will be the big test.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I've recently bought a slow cooker but haven't tried it out yet. Anything in particular anyone would recommend as an easy beginner recipe? I'm making notes of lots of these recipes though, they all sound yummy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I've recently bought a slow cooker but haven't tried it out yet. Anything in particular anyone would recommend as an easy beginner recipe? I'm making notes of lots of these recipes though, they all sound yummy!

I don't think you can get much simpler than the recipe below. No browning or sauteing onions just pop the ingredients in the slowcooker and turn it on. I changed the spices a bit when i made it so you can spice to your own taste.

The main thing to remember with a slowcooker is that you need less liquid than you would use for slowcooked dishes in the oven as very little evaporates.

Here's one I do regularly enough done it last week for my one year old birthday party and it went down a treat.

No measurements I tend to just judge it myself.

Your normal diced beef,stewing beef
    Passata
    Onions
    Peppers
    Garlic
    Chick peas
    Worcestershire sauce
    Balsamic vinegar
    Dried oregano
    Dried basil
    Cayenne pepper
    Smoked paprika

Then cook on high for about 6 hours.

I was nervous making it given its my own concoction and had only ever made it for the better half so was delighted to see people going back for seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I don't think you can get much simpler than the recipe below. No browning or sauteing onions just pop the ingredients in the slowcooker and turn it on. I changed the spices a bit when i made it so you can spice to your own taste.

The main thing to remember with a slowcooker is that you need less liquid than you would use for slowcooked dishes in the oven as very little evaporates.

Oh perfect, I'll be giving that a go soon. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Would using the slow cooker on Medium or High for 4 hours be something equivalent to simmering on the hob for 1.5 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Sure.

1 teaspoon of paprika
    Half a teaspoon of smoked paprika

Is there a difference between "paprika" and "smoked paprika"? I asked in my greengrocers before and he thought they were the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is there a difference between "paprika" and "smoked paprika"? I asked in my greengrocers before and he thought they were the same.

Smoked paprika has a strong smokey flavour, the other doesn't.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Would using the slow cooker on Medium or High for 4 hours be something equivalent to simmering on the hob for 1.5 hours?

4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low (which on some slow cookers is actually the Medium setting because what they call low is really the Keep Warm setting).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

which on some slow cookers is actually the Medium setting because what they call low is really the Keep Warm setting

What? :eek:

Never knew this, must check the manual when I go home...if the stew I put on this morning is medium rare, hey-ho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Smoked paprika has a strong smokey flavour, the other doesn't.

Makes sense :). Would chipotle work as a substitute?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

6.5L cooker, €20 in Aldi on Thursday: https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thu-22-oct/products-detail-page/ps/p/large-slow-cooker-2/

anyone bought one from Aldi, any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Makes sense :). Would chipotle work as a substitute?

I've never tasted chipotle, but if you like it then it would work as a substitute. I think stews are all about throwing in what you like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

loyatemu wrote: »
    6.5L cooker, €20 in Aldi on Thursday: https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thu-22-oct/products-detail-page/ps/p/large-slow-cooker-2/

anyone bought one from Aldi, any good?

I got mine in Aldi last year. No complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I got the smaller (3l, I think) slow cooker in aldi a couple of weeks ago. I LOVE it!

anyone bought one of the cookers where you can use the internal pot on the hob for browning etc - is it worth paying extra for this

e.g. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1708473.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I don't have one of those but would really, really like one. For browning meat before hand and also to reduce down stock or sauces after. I'd like to be able to prep something on the stove and move it over to the slowcooker directly quite a lot. Hmmm. Temptation to break my current slowcooker riiiiiiiiising

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

anyone bought one of the cookers where you can use the internal pot on the hob for browning etc - is it worth paying extra for this

e.g. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1708473.htm

I got one of those for my mam, it is handy. Dont know if worth the extra month unless you use it often and would make life much easier.

I don't have one of those but would really, really like one. For browning meat before hand and also to reduce down stock or sauces after. I'd like to be able to prep something on the stove and move it over to the slowcooker directly quite a lot. Hmmm. Temptation to break my current slowcooker riiiiiiiiising

does running the cooker on "High" not allow the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

does running the cooker on "High" not allow the same thing?

Would take much longer to heat up and wouldnt really get hot enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

A friend told me this and i have done it a few times since and you can't get simpler. Results are fantastic.

2 jars of Green Saffron curry sauce (mild or hot). Hot is more medium.

Pour into slow cooker.

Place 1/2 leg of lamb on top.

Cook on low for about 8 hours.

Shred lamb with 2 forks.

Serve with rice.

Simples... and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Am thinking of getting a slow cooker, Is it just main meals you can do in them or can you do other stuff ?

And on the main meal front, we tend to eat a selection of stuff, Could I maybe put in raw mince & bolognese cause & let it cook while at work & then just do some past when we get in, or maybe for chicken enchiladas, doc all the raw chicken, veg & sauce, leave that cooking for the day & then come in that evening, wrap them & oven bake for five minutes & be done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

OU812 wrote: »
    Am thinking of getting a slow cooker, Is it just main meals you can do in them or can you do other stuff ?

And on the main meal front, we tend to eat a selection of stuff, Could I maybe put in raw mince & bolognese cause & let it cook while at work & then just do some past when we get in, or maybe for chicken enchiladas, doc all the raw chicken, veg & sauce, leave that cooking for the day & then come in that evening, wrap them & oven bake for five minutes & be done ?

I do bolognese sauce in it, but I fry the mince first, as it's nice and browned. I'd imagine if you do it from raw it would be sludgy.

I make the sauce as usual, frying the meat and onions, and adding the other ingredients.Then leave it on for HOURS. Last time I left it on for 14 hours. It came out with a deep, delicious taste. Well worth it.

Advertisement