Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was just sent a link to a list of slow cooker meals https://newleafwellness.biz/2015/08/06/31-crockpot-freezer-meals-for-back-to-school .

I quite like slow cookers for cooking stewing type meat, but most of these recipes are for chicken breast. I can't imagine cooking chicken breast for hours, especially when it hasn't been browned first.

I reckon you could make any of the chicken breast recipes in half an hour - the chicken would cook in 10 minutes - without a slow cooker or pressure cooker, and it would taste much nicer. And the idea of putting frozen meat in a slow cooker - a complete no-no I would think.

Am I out of step completely? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I have a couple of cookbooks "The Gourmet Slow Cooker" which have some brilliant recipes but all requiring some prep other than just putting everything in all at once from raw/cold. There are a number of chicken recipes and while most of these have a whole chicken that has been portioned including the breast, a couple have just chicken breasts. In those, it is mainly the sauce that benefits from the low and slow with the flavours taking the time to develop rather than tenderising the meat. I'm not too sure about the frozen meat though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

iirc, there was discussion somewhere here before about chicken breasts. The issue being that the connective tissue wasn't suited to hours and hours of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,218 ✭✭✭✭looksee

iirc, there was discussion somewhere here before about chicken breasts. The issue being that the connective tissue wasn't suited to hours and hours of cooking.

Sorry I am a bit new in here, I did check slow cookers but didn't find the original thread. Yes, chicken breast cooks almost instantly and isn't improved by stewing, just turns it to tasteless pulp. I was astonished at the number of people who were saying what great recipes they were. Now lamb hocks or streaky pork is another matter altogether!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ah, I wasn't giving out to ye. I can't remember where exactly the discussion started, but the question mark about it did come up.

ETA - looks like it started here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Never managed to cook a successful slow cooker dish with chicken breasts, they tasted awful, sauce was fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Chicken thighs or legs are good, but the breasts go really stringy and horrible.

Tried the thighs but still found them tasteless when cooked for a long period.

Has anyone tried cooking a baked potato in their slow cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried cooking a baked potato in their slow cooker?
    Yeah. They turn out ok. Not quite the same as in the oven but good if you need to cook a lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Never managed to cook a successful slow cooker dish with chicken breasts, they tasted awful, sauce was fine though.

I always do Thai Chicken Curry in the slow cooker and it turns out perfect. The chicken very tender and the sauce is fab. Ive done casserole with Chicken Breasts too and it turned out great.

toadfly wrote: »
    I always do Thai Chicken Curry in the slow cooker and it turns out perfect. The chicken very tender and the sauce is fab. Ive done casserole with Chicken Breasts too and it turned out great.

How long have to cooked it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

10-11 hours on low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make chicken and chorizo stew regularly in mine, usually using breasts and thighs and it's very successful. I cook it on high for about 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Cook a lot of breasts in mine,nearly always on high for 4 or 5 hours I do find using bone in breasts work out better and if a recipe is for diced chicken over a longer period I won't add chicken till about 3 hours from end....always works for me...

I am wondering if cooking it on high for 4 hours (whatever the dish) would be more successful, I will give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I just bought myself one of these today and ive never used one before,im going to attempt the pulled pork recipe on here at the weekend,but quick question for anyone i want to make ribs spuds and cabbage,can i just put all that into the cooker and leave it for a few hours? do i need to add water? thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

I just bought myself one of these today and ive never used one before,im going to attempt the pulled pork recipe on here at the weekend,but quick question for anyone i want to make ribs spuds and cabbage,can i just put all that into the cooker and leave it for a few hours? do i need to add water? thanks in advance

Mam ? Is that you ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

oleras wrote: »
    Mam ? Is that you ? :D

I probably should of said do I put the bacon and potatoes in first with water ,then add the cabbage near the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Here's one I do regularly enough done it last week for my one year old birthday party and it went down a treat.

No measurements I tend to just judge it myself.

Your normal diced beef,stewing beef
    Passata
    Onions
    Peppers
    Garlic
    Chick peas
    Worcestershire sauce
    Balsamic vinegar
    Dried oregano
    Dried basil
    Cayenne pepper
    Smoked paprika

Then cook on high for about 6 hours.

I was nervous making it given its my own concoction and had only ever made it for the better half so was delighted to see people going back for seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Does anyone have a vegetarian chili recipe for a slow cooker they would recommend? Or a spicy veg casserole type thing? TIA!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

wuffly wrote: »
    Does anyone have a vegetarian chili recipe for a slow cooker they would recommend? Or a spicy veg casserole type thing? TIA!

I think the famous lentil chili should work fine in a slow cooker.

Or your could try making a bean goulash (or Hungarian bean stew as I have to call it around my husband, as the word "goulash" puts him off).

2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
    1 stalk of celery, chopped

1 carrot, in bitesize chunks
    1 or 2 small potatos, same size chunks as the carrots
    1 cup of dried butter beans (you can soak them beforehand, but with the slow cooker that's not essential)
    1 cup of dried kidney beans
    2l of veg stock

2 bay leaves
    3-4 tsp of paprika
    1 tsp of smoked paprika
    Dried chili to taste
    1 tbsp tomato puree

Fry the onions, garlic and celery until soft, then put everything into the slow cooker and cook for about 4 hours (until the beans are soft). Top up with water if required, but the result should be a nice, thick stew.
    You can add other veg as you fancy - turnip, mushrooms, whatever your tastes.
    Great with rice, or - if you want to be authentic - bread dumplings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Shenshen wrote: »
    I think the famous lentil chili should work fine in a slow cooker.

Or your could try making a bean goulash (or Hungarian bean stew as I have to call it around my husband, as the word "goulash" puts him off).

2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, grated or finely chopped
    1 stalk of celery, chopped

1 carrot, in bitesize chunks
    1 or 2 small potatos, same size chunks as the carrots
    1 cup of dried butter beans (you can soak them beforehand, but with the slow cooker that's not essential)
    1 cup of dried kidney beans
    2l of veg stock

2 bay leaves
    3-4 tsp of paprika
    1 tsp of smoked paprika
    Dried chili to taste
    1 tbsp tomato puree

Fry the onions, garlic and celery until soft, then put everything into the slow cooker and cook for about 4 hours (until the beans are soft). Top up with water if required, but the result should be a nice, thick stew.
    You can add other veg as you fancy - turnip, mushrooms, whatever your tastes.
    Great with rice, or - if you want to be authentic - bread dumplings :)

Thank you! Just what I was after! I like the sound of the lentil chili!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

EZ24GET wrote: »
    Som e one sent me a few Slow cooker/ crockpot recipes, thought I'd share. I know they are in U.S. measures but since this sort of thing is more or less to taste shouldn't be too hard to get a fair equivalency

Chicken Cacciotore in the slow cooker

ingredients:

1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
    14 1/2 ounce can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 medium green Bell pepper cut into strips
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Put all into 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours
    on HIGH or 6 to 7 hours on LOW. Serve over hot cooked penne pasta accompanied by garlic bread.
    serves 4.

Made a version of this today, absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

Here's one I do regularly enough done it last week for my one year old birthday party and it went down a treat.

No measurements I tend to just judge it myself.

Your normal diced beef,stewing beef
    Passata
    Onions
    Peppers
    Garlic
    Chick peas
    Worcestershire sauce
    Balsamic vinegar
    Dried oregano
    Dried basil
    Cayenne pepper
    Smoked paprika

Then cook on high for about 6 hours.

I was nervous making it given its my own concoction and had only ever made it for the better half so was delighted to see people going back for seconds.

What on earth does this actually make? I can't imagine it but it does sound nice. Any pictures? Like a warm spicy Hummus :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

What on earth does this actually make? I can't imagine it but it does sound nice. Any pictures? Like a warm spicy Hummus :confused:

Sounds like a spicy beef stew to me or maybe with the chickpeas, more of a tagine...thats what my mind has conjured anyway!
    Sounds yum.

Sounds like a spicy beef stew to me or maybe with the chickpeas, more of a tagine...thats what my mind has conjured anyway!
    Sounds yum.

Spot on :) it started off as a Spanish Stew recipe I found on BBC good food that I kinda changed over time through trial and error.

Then decided one day to try it in the slow cooker as using stewing beef sometimes the meet can be quite tough and I was feeling lazy that day and it worked out perfectly thank god. I usually have it with rice.

Sorry turns out it started as an Italian stew.

Heres an old pic of it before I started slow cooking it but you get the idea :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89320997&postcount=1065

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭54and56

Sorry turns out it started as an Italian stew.

Heres an old pic of it before I started slow cooking it but you get the idea :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89320997&postcount=1065

Looks great Marty, real wholesome yet exotic! The only thing I'd probably change for personal taste reasons is I'd leave out the peppers, I REALLY don't like peppers for some reason. Love chilli's and garlic and ginger and all kinds of flavours but celery and bell peppers give me the heebee jeebee's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am going to try this and will let you know how I get on
    http://hostthetoast.com/crock-pot-general-tsos-chicken/

I love American-Chinese food.

Advertisement