Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Now that Winter is on the way, what's everyone's favourite Slow Cooker recipe, mine is the Fruity Lamb Tagine or my version of Irish Stew... I put garlic in it so its not really Irish Stew!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Now that Winter is on the way, what's everyone's favourite Slow Cooker recipe, mine is the Fruity Lamb Tagine or my version of Irish Stew... I put garlic in it so its not really Irish Stew!

Mine is Hungarian goulash made with shin beef. Also chicken, chorizo & chickpea stew.

Mine is Hungarian goulash made with shin beef. Also chicken, chorizo & chickpea stew.

oh the goulash sounds nice, can you share the recipe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Venezuelan black bean stew :)

Perfect to fill burritos with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Zelda247 wrote: »
    oh the goulash sounds nice, can you share the recipe?

Sure.

Ilb shin beef, diced
    1 red pepper,sliced
    1 yellow pepper, sliced
    1 large onion, sliced
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon of tomato puree
    1 teaspoon of paprika
    Half a teaspoon of smoked paprika
    Flour
    Half a beef stock cube
    200ml/half a pint of hot water
    Olive oil for frying
    Salt and black pepper

Put flour into a freezer bag and add the meat to coat it. Heat oil in a large pan and brown the meat. Move to the slow cooker. Add veg to the pan and fry until it starts to soften. Add garlic and paprika and fry gently for a minute. Add tomatoes, puree and stock. Stir well then add to the meat in the slow cooker. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-10 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭oleras

Why are peppers added to long cooks ?

Bell peppers cooked for 6-8 hours only leave the skin from my experience.

I would only really use them for the crunchy texture myself in something like a stirfry.

oleras wrote: »
    Why are peppers added to long cooks ?

Bell peppers cooked for 6-8 hours only leave the skin from my experience.

I would only really use them for the crunchy texture myself in something like a stirfry.

You could of course add the peppers later if you prefer them crunchy, but the thing about a slow cooker is that you can put everything in and forget about it for hours. Personally, I can only eat peppers that have been very well cooked or I get dreadful indigestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm doing dinner for 8 people in two weeks time. Im going to slow cook something.
    It may not be haute cuisine but the difference: compared to having to entertain and serve up a roast chicken or 8 steaks all at the same time - compared to entertaining and doling out a nice slow cook dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

amdublin wrote: »
    I'm doing dinner for 8 people in two weeks time. Im going to slow cook something.
    It may not be haute cuisine but the difference: compared to having to entertain and serve up a roast chicken or 8 steaks all at the same time - compared to entertaining and doling out a nice slow cook dish.

That is the beauty of having things simmering and hot in the sc.

Easy does it!

Please let us know what you did, might help me with the post Christmas gang here on Steeeeeevennnn'ssss Day, lol. Early planning me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

If you can get your hands on some venison, do a venison casserole. If not, just a simple beef and beer casserole. Both are fabulous slow cooked. Get chuck steak if you can, it's a cheap cut but brilliant for slow cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Quick question lads and lassies, have a casserole going since about noon, have it on low and plan on leaving it on for 8 hours. Is it ok to lift the lid to give it a stir? Mind you it's an ALDI 15.99 one and the lid is a bit rocky on it:eek:

I always stir mine... does not seem to cause any problems.

A lot of liquid left !! More cornflour? (already have 2 dessert spoons in from the start) to thicken it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

vicwatson wrote: »
    A lot of liquid left !! More cornflour? (already have 2 dessert spoons in from the start) to thicken it?

It could be one of the cooking myths, but someone once told me that if you add cornflour or potato flour to a dish and then keep it cooking for a long time after, the thickening effect will disappear?

Cornflour is best added at the end, as Shenshen said. If I'm not flouring and browning the meat first I always stir in a tablespoon of flour before adding the liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Thanks am, I'll probably try this on Saturday.

change of plan, and this is now prepped and on a timer to come on at lunch time tomorrow.

I forgot to coat the chicken in the first step, so will see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

change of plan, and this is now prepped and on a timer to come on at lunch time tomorrow.

I forgot to coat the chicken in the first step, so will see what happens.

Just curious...do you prep it and leave it sitting out overnight? Would the food not become luke warm?

Probably not the best from a food safety point of view, I'll grant you, but I've not developed any ticks yet. Probably best to leave that discussion there though.

but yeah, prep it and leave it plugged in on a timer, and when I get home it will be ready.

What do other people do, cook it overnight, then re-heat for dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Probably not the best from a food safety point of view, I'll grant you, but I've not developed any ticks yet. Probably best to leave that discussion there though.

but yeah, prep it and leave it plugged in on a timer, and when I get home it will be ready.

What do other people do, cook it overnight, then re-heat for dinner?

I work shift work so generally only slow cool when I'm on nights or days off.

Either way I prep and turn on the slow cooker in the morning before bed then re heat or prep and put on around noon.

Just curious...do you prep it and leave it sitting out overnight? Would the food not become luke warm?

You could prep it at night and leave it in the fridge in a ziploc bag,a covered dish or even the removable part of the slow cooker. Then pop it in and switch it on in the morning.

• Advertisement

So, the General Tso's chicken is superb , never having had the original so can't compare that, but it's a nice almost-sticky sauce, complemented nicely by the broccoli. I toned down the cayenne and ginger so mini-Baldy could have some - unfortunately he wasn't in the mood for a plate of food having had a cake in creche in the afternoon, so I didn't get his reaction.

I'll be chopping a chilli into the helping I have for lunch tomorrow, which will round it off nicely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Glad you liked it baldy! I could handle some extra heat in it too - although the spices give it a small bit. It's a lovely sticky sweet and sour dish isn't it.

I've had the original in america - this definitely captures the essence / is very close to it!

Broccoli isn't necessarily something we'd put with a rice amd sweet and sour dish but that is the way it comes over in america and it definitely works too.

I'll give it a try soon. My concern would be that it would stick like glue to the slow cooker and be hard to clean off afterwards - was that a problem?

I'll give it a try soon. My concern would be that it would stick like glue to the slow cooker and be hard to clean off afterwards - was that a problem?

Nope not at all. It's sticky but it's saucy/drippy as well. Not overly sticky.

So, the General Tso's chicken is superb , never having had the original so can't compare that, but it's a nice almost-sticky sauce, complemented nicely by the broccoli. I toned down the cayenne and ginger so mini-Baldy could have some - unfortunately he wasn't in the mood for a plate of food having had a cake in creche in the afternoon, so I didn't get his reaction.

I'll be chopping a chilli into the helping I have for lunch tomorrow, which will round it off nicely.

Here is the recipe for General Tso's chicken again to save people trawling back pages for it.
    http://hostthetoast.com/crock-pot-general-tsos-chicken/

It gets the thumbs up from myself and Baldy Conscience.

And simple to make like most slow cooker recipes!

Nope, didn't have an issue with it sticking, although I washed the inside of the Slow Cooker while it was still warm-ish, so nothing had a chance to dry on. Had no chilis in the house, so just used some lazy squeezy chili mixed in for my lunch for today.

I'll post back later about that, and mini-B has his with him for his lunch too - so the creche will tell me if he eats it or not.

Cornflour is best added at the end, as Shenshen said. If I'm not flouring and browning the meat first I always stir in a tablespoon of flour before adding the liquid.

Thanks guys, I threw 2 spoons into some water near the end and it thickened it up nicely. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Here's one I do regularly enough done it last week for my one year old birthday party and it went down a treat.

No measurements I tend to just judge it myself.

Your normal diced beef,stewing beef
    Passata
    Onions
    Peppers
    Garlic
    Chick peas
    Worcestershire sauce
    Balsamic vinegar
    Dried oregano
    Dried basil
    Cayenne pepper
    Smoked paprika

Then cook on high for about 6 hours.

I've just thrown this into the slow cooker. my first time not browning beef so fingers crossed it works. I also added some Moroccan spice mix as it sounds a bit tagine like to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Glebee

Here is the recipe for General Tso's chicken again to save people trawling back pages for it.
    http://hostthetoast.com/crock-pot-general-tsos-chicken/

It gets the thumbs up from myself and Baldy Conscience.

And simple to make like most slow cooker recipes!

How would this turn out with pork instead of chicken???? Should be OK me thinks.

• Advertisement

Glebee wrote: »
    How would this turn out with pork instead of chicken???? Should be OK me thinks.

yep, should be grand imo

Advertisement