Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have any odd public transport stories?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Was on a bus a few years ago with a friend coming home from town at night.. Can't remember what we were doing in there but we were too young to drink so wasn't the nightlink.. Anyway we sat at the back downstairs so we were face to face with this grungy looking, long haired dude.. Looked a bit spaced out and was listening to a tape walkman (before Ipod days) Anyway he was acting really odd and us being kids were giggling at him the whole way to his stop.. We were convinced he was out of his head and didn't know where he was at this stage, was pulling the reams of tape out of the cassette and wrapping it round his hand and playing with it.. much to our amusement.. Anyway.. His stop came and he got up, got off and walked right up to our window and gave us the finger, and was all of a sudden completely sober looking.. I still don't know what his game was.. Suppose he was just playing up to us for his own amusement.. Twas quite surreal.. We were actually quite in awe of him after that.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Wood wrote: »
    http://www.planetizen.com/node/36304

There are about 16,000 licensed taxis in Dublin, up from about 2,800 in the late 1990s. That's a lot of taxis. New York City, which is 7 or 8 times bigger than Dublin (population 1.2-million), has about 13,000 licensed cabs.

Interesting figure, but you are just choosing to ignore the full facts. New York license plates are controlled and regulated by the city, plates cost so much for a yellow taxis that only company's can afford them. The cabs are driven in shifts by multiple drivers, running for up to 22 hours a day. Pretty much the same as what used to happen here.

From Wiki,

"There are more than 13,000 taxis operating in the city, not including over 40,000 other for-hire vehicles."

Should they choose to deregulate the taxi plates you would find a increase of at least 50-60 thousand as other taxis arrive into the market the same as what happened in Ireland. For a city that's eight times the size that would be about right.

The market here will have to sort itself out, at the point where there is a loss being made for taxi driving is when you will see less cars on the road and the beginnings of a healthy wage for the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I remember on the 15 the bus driver didn't know where he was going (why the **** are you a bus driver :confused:) and asked me for directions as i was standing at the front. I directed him into my cul de sac and jumped off.

I always wondered how he got the bus back up that road, there is NO WAY he could have turned it around lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i got onto a bus and went upstairs where there was a smell of petrol and a kid about 12 grinning down the back. I don't know exactly what happened but i can guess.
    Anyway we pulled up to the stop in front of the garda station where two gardai got on and pulled the kid off by the scruff of his neck

Delighted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 miaowchi

I remember when i was on the way home from work on the no. 36 in London last year and being in the LDN zombie state of mind... sat down the back, put on my ipod and minded my own business... next minute this Indian bloke beside is starring at me and i can see his mouth moving... so i take out my earphones and he is banging on about how terrible england is... 'The country is gone to ****' 'Its a disgrace all these immigrants coming in taking our jobs' 'All these blacks coming in' 'The country is gone to **** since 1987'

He was screaming this at the top of his voice... of course i didnt know where to look ha ha because the bus was so multi-cultural anyway ha ha and in my own mind i was thinking 'why 1987???' but i didn't dare to ask...

Then after about 10mins more of rabbling on... the country gone to **** stuff.... he goes... 'and where are you from'... I started roaring laughing and goes... 'Iam from Ireland... and iam working in Victoria' he shut up then and got off at the next stop... wished me good luck too ha ha what a weirdo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I was getting the train up to Athlone a few years ago and there was this old wino shouting and roaring on the train, all the way from Galway. He looked a bit like the old guy in the Life of Brian that took the vow of silence. Anyways when the train arrived into Athlone, four Gardai were waiting to take him off it.

They got on the train and he started giving them dogs abuse. I was stuck behind them and had to wait until they lifted him physically out of the train.

I hung around on the platform to see what else happened. The wino then started a sit down protest on the platform and there was more fcuking and blinding coming from. The cops were getting extremely pissed off with him.

Two of them went either side of him, linked his arms and lifted him up. As the wino was being lifted up his trousers fell down. Everybody on the train and the platform got a full frontal of his bollox. It was like time stood still, because the cops didnt know what to do. He was just being held up, with his meat and two veg dangling around the place for all the world to see. There was people staring out the windows of the train with their mouths open and grannies covering their eyes. The wino was fcuking oblivious to the fact his wedding tackle was hanging out.

The cops who were not lifting him, pulled up his pants. He was then dragged off the platform and fcuked into the back of a paddy wagon.

^^^That was snyper!!:eek:^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    'I f*ckin hate c*nts trying to shaft me.'

The last guy getting off says 'I wouldn't shaft yer auld one'!

I'm still laughing at this one!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm still laughing at this one!:D

Thats how it should be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

mud wrote: »
    ^^^That was snyper!!:eek:^^^

Nah, the self exposure wasnt intentional with the wino dude.:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

On the bus out of Galway (today, three hours ago) I was sitting on the left aisle, as a drunk aged about 70 sat a few seats ahead of me on the right aisle.

As he was sitting down I glanced momentarily in his direction, when he saw me he blew a kiss at me.

I quickly, and wrongly, assumed that he was trying to start a fight and through my peripheral vision I noticed that he was waving his hand around in a subtle manner in an attempt to get my attention. To avoid any hassle I decided not to look at him in case he might be angry at me for some reason.

This went on for a further ten minutes, during which I bit my nails to look busy.

Eventually, I accidently looked at his waving hand at which point I acted surprised and made eye-contact with him. He then gives me a lecture as to why I shouldn't bite my nails. His two major points were that I would develop skin cancer and that I was "too pretty to die." It was then that I realised that he wasn't starting a fight with me, he just thought I was a woman and was coming on to me. Heavily.

He continued to talk to me, peppering his conversation with "darlings," telling me that I was lovely and blew me more kisses when there was a lull in the conversation.

He then asked me what music I liked to listen to, specifically asking if I like country and western. "Kenny Rogers?" “Dolly Parton?” “Johnny Cash?” “Big Tom?” “Margo?” When I said no to all of these, he agreed and told me that I have far too much class to like that kind of music anyway. He asked me again what I like, so I told him The Beatles.

He then went on a long rant about how great the Beatles were and that I have great taste in music as I stood up to get off. Finally, he shook my hand as I got off the bus telling me that he will give me his number the next time he sees me and winked at me.

The weird thing is, I've actually had to sit next to him before on the bus. He's usually quite lecherous towards the other any girls on the bus. This was the first time he thought I was a girl though.

That's mine, does anyone else have any strange stories from travelling on public transport?

This kind of thing happened to me on the bus out of Galway before. This elderly man about 70ish sat beside me started talkin and talkin and he put his hand on my leg at one point and on my arm as well telling me I have a lovely tan. I was fairly disturbed and fled. I'm as white as you can be, I don't tan.

I was telling my housemate about this and he sometimes gets the same bus home as well and he told me it's happened to him...We had the exact same description of the man.

Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

schween wrote: »
    This kind of thing happened to me on the bus out of Galway before. This elderly man about 70ish sat beside me started talkin and talkin and he put his hand on my leg at one point and on my arm as well telling me I have a lovely tan. I was fairly disturbed and fled. I'm as white as you can be, I don't tan.

I was telling my housemate about this and he sometimes gets the same bus home as well and he told me it's happened to him...We had the exact same description of the man.

Weird.

The man I'm talking about gets this bus quite often. Were you on the bus to Spiddal?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Me and me two mates who were 12 and 16 at the time were taking a bus ride into the city centre. We head up to the top of the bus to enjoy the scenery. All of a sudden I have an urge to scratch a particularly annoying itch on my foot. So I take off my trainer in an attempt to more thoroughly quell this itch. Some citizen sitting next to us is obviously annoyed by this and like an E gets off 15 minutes before his actual stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Corega wrote: »
    Me and me two mates who were 12 and 16 at the time were taking a bus ride into the city centre. We head up to the top of the bus to enjoy the scenery. All of a sudden I have an urge to scratch a particularly annoying itch on my foot. So I take off my trainer in an attempt to more thoroughly quell this itch. Some citizen sitting next to us is obviously annoyed by this and like an E gets off 15 minutes before his actual stop!

How did you know that it was 15 minutes before his stop?

That story is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

once on the 44 out to kilternan me and a few mates were pretty pissed on the last bus home. one of the lads had picked up an old typewriter and was dismantling it up stairs at the back, he was throwing the "broken" parts out the window and when he was finished he opened the back window and threw the rest out onto the bonnet of a car behind. he was laughing at that ! anyway somewhere around kilgobbin has asked the bus driver to stop for a bit so he could have a piss.The bus friver duly obliged and off he gets, he was taking to long and the driver took off again with us upstairs laughing our asses off at him running after the bus tryng to pull up his pants :) just then the car that got hit with the typewriter pulls up and driver gets out and proceeds to kick fcuk out of him :) lolage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

mookishboy wrote: »
    once on the 44 out to kilternan me and a few mates were pretty pissed on the last bus home. one of the lads had picked up an old typewriter and was dismantling it up stairs at the back, he was throwing the "broken" parts out the window and when he was finished he opened the back window and threw the rest out onto the bonnet of a car behind. he was laughing at that ! anyway somewhere around kilgobbin has asked the bus driver to stop for a bit so he could have a piss.The bus friver duly obliged and off he gets, he was taking to long and the driver took off again with us upstairs laughing our asses off at him running after the bus tryng to pull up his pants :) just then the car that got hit with the typewriter pulls up and driver gets out and proceeds to kick fcuk out of him :) lolage

Quite the skank trashbag, are we not?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Quite the skank trashbag, are we not?

B to tha A to tha double crooked letter to the E to th Duh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

serious deja vu hitting me now

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

giggsy664 wrote: »
    This one time, I were goin on the bus in Alabama, and some black woman refused to give up her seat to me.

True
    Cos you're white? That's racist!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

serious deja vu hitting me now

At least somebody noticed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Great stories there.

I met some real life burglars on the dart before christmas. It was a northbound afternoon dart so it was quite empty. It was two guys and two girls all wrecked to bits from heroin and drinking cans relaying heroic stories of the houses they had burglarised. They all sat around me too.

"D'ya hear wha happined ta mick", "wha?", "ee snuk into a gaff party full o poshos and he dipped (euphemism for pickpocket i think) em, thaw he'd gera way wi' ih but they just ****ed em off the balcony, broke his bleedin legs an all"

"i was scurryin up a drainpipe out in the noggin an' sum c*nt opened da winda and boxed me off" *harharhar*

and my favourite one -"me an me fella were out in three rock(?), luvvvvvvvly gaff this was, on stilts an' all, so we climbed up an' smashed the winda and there was some bitch there and I said *harharhar*
    "don't worry luv, we're just robbin yer bleedin gaff! and she ****in screamed!"*harharhar*

They all laughed there arses off and I had to fight to hold in my laughter as I had long since turned off my ipod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

So I take off my trainer

Who the hell wears trainers in this country. It's yer bloody runner!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Some bloke died a while ago on the 78A and then had his wallet stolen. :eek:

Beat that!!!

but did they leave the popcorn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

last paddys day i was on the 77A and got chatted by a bunch of girls, they got sick all over the place, i got kicked off the bus too ( i was stone cold sober :mad: )

got some numbers but life goes on

another time on the 46A, a mate and myself sitting at the frotn of the bus got tapped on the shoulder and hugged by some random filtho...

chuckled quite bit, finally, a junkie not causing trouble ! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Back in the days before the car I was often getting buses on my own, as I worked quite a bit away from home.
    Anyway I sat on this bus, and this small fella sat down beside me. We got chatting and he asked me what my brothers name was and I told him it was Paul. So straight away he goes into raptures and goes 'PAUL, like Paul the APOSTLE!!!!!' and I was like em well yeah! Turns out he was a born again christian, took out his bible on the bus and preached to me the whole way home. There was one change of buses I had to take so i was overjoyed when I finally got there. Got on the second bus, and I see your man coming up the aisle to me again. Sits down beside me again. I tell him 'I respect other peoples beliefs but I dont think they should press them on other people" to which he said "but my religion believes that we need to tell other people".

Anyway I finally got off the bus with him shouting after me that he'd get his 'group' to pray for me. Put me bag on the seat beside me ever since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If this thread has thought us one thing, it's that junkies are funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I've seen one Down's Syndrome person call another person with Down's retarded on the 17 (sorta felt bad about cracking up laughing at that one...)

Oh, jaysus, that reminds me. I was waiting to get on the bus back home from town a few years ago. The whole queue was being held up because of two severely - handicapped guys in wheelchairs having an argy-bargy. There was a black guy trying to help one of them get onto the bus, but the other one wouldn't let them get on because he had some sort of problem with the fact that the guy was black. He was letting rip with the most awful racist abuse at the poor guy who only trying to help. Like "Fcuk off, you n......."

It was really bizarre.

Advertisement