Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Albums?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Thread should be renamed " Overrated Albums? in my opinion" as in all fairness, music is just that subjective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 seva42413

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Thread should be renamed " Overrated Albums? in my opinion" as in all fairness, music is just that subjective.
    yeah totally agree,:D..it also depends of the artist..

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

I'm going back a few years but I always found Rumours by Fleetwood Mac to be overrated but again I do appreciate it is a subjective opinion as opposed to a fastidious one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I'm going back a few years but I always found Rumours by Fleetwood Mac to be overrated but again I do appreciate it is a subjective opinion as opposed to a fastidious one

John McVie and Christine had just divorced and were not on speaking terms. Mick was just divorced, they had just sacked there manger and producer. Doing enough cocaine to turn horses into unicorns. Mick and Nicks had a short affair.

Five people all of whom had been romantically/séxually engaged with another band member at some stage had to sit in a room and write songs together. The blizzard of cocaine was such that they wanted to credit their dealer on the album.

Songs were recorded in a small wooden windowless studio. Band arrive at 7:00 getting off there collective heads until the early hours.

Nicks recalls " I'm not the problem, I'm not quitting. You're the problem and should quit" With no one prepared to give in, they effectively stayed together out of spite.

I had a lot of respect for that album after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭MissD93

Never mind by Nirvanna

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Grace by Jeff Buckley. A couple of good songs but alot of dross in there as well. No idea why it features so highly in so many music magazine lists. Ok Computer is totally overrated as well IMO. One of those albums it's trendy to like but how many people genuinely like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

DrWu wrote: »
    Ok Computer is totally overrated as well IMO. One of those albums it's trendy to like but how many people genuinely like it?

Plenty of people. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean that everyone else is just pretending to like it.

Plenty of people. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean that everyone else is just pretending to like it.

Miaooww

Miaooww

Yeah, whatever. Just because you don't like an album doesn't mean that everyone says they do is just pretending to as some sort of in-joke. Subjectivity of musical appreciation and all that malarkey…

Yeah, whatever. Just because you don't like an album doesn't mean that everyone says they do is just pretending to as some sort of in-joke. Subjectivity of musical appreciation and all that malarkey…

Of course its all subjective. Isn't that why we're on a forum? To discuss opinions. And I didnt say that "everyone" (your words not mine) was pretending to like it. I was asking how many people who say they do, really do. Sorry, must have touched a nerve...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Well I don't like it, listened to OK Computer about 5 times and while I got it, I never grew to like it.
    Not overrated at all.
    Oasis WTSMG otoh is overrated but I still love it.

Of course its all subjective. Isn't that why we're on a forum? To discuss opinions. And I didnt say that "everyone" (your words not mine) was pretending to like it. I was asking how many people who say they do, really do. Sorry, must have touched a nerve...

You haven't touched a nerve at all. I just reckon if it was an album you actually liked you wouldn't be questioning how many people who said they liked it, actually liked it.

You haven't touched a nerve at all. I just reckon if it was an album you actually liked you wouldn't be questioning how many people who said they liked it, actually liked it.

Oh stop being so oversensitive.

Oh stop being so oversensitive.

Where was I being oversensitive?

Where was I being oversensitive?

Over there!

Ah here, the OP is asking people to suggest overrated albums. Ok Computer is always around the top of most lists so of course some people (like me!) are going to have a pop at it. You'll be here all day if you're going to get upset. One of my faves is Astral Weeks ( I also think it's overrated - Van has better albums IMHO). I expect people to have a pop at it too. No biggie.

Over there!

Ah here, the OP is asking people to suggest overrated albums. Ok Computer is always around the top of most lists so of course some people (like me!) are going to have a pop at it. You'll be here all day if you're going to get upset. One of my faves is Astral Weeks ( I also think it's overrated - Van has better albums IMHO). I expect people to have a pop at it too. No biggie.

I wasn't being upset. I'm not the one replying to posts with 'Miaaow' and accusations of oversensitivity.

I think Astral Weeks is **** tbh (I think I might have mentioned it here already) but I don't think people who like it, like it to be trendy.

I wasn't being upset. I'm not the one replying to posts with 'Miaaow' and accusations of oversensitivity.

I think Astral Weeks is **** tbh (I think I might have mentioned it here already) but I don't think people who like it, like it to be trendy.

Some people do! I've seen them with their sharks tooth duffel coats and mandolin cases. They're out there man...they're out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

OK Computer is good and all but every album they've made since is better. Amnesiac is especially underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nate19841

I have to admit most albums championed by the NME and Q are overrated. I'm looking at you;

Babyshambles/Pete Doherty
    Kaiser CHiefs
    Kooks

But to be fair you should never believe the hype but rather experience it with an open mind. Shame on me/everyone for buying into it!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,019 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Born in the USA

not the bosses best album ever, not even his best album of the 80's
    The production has meant it has dated badly over the years while albums like 'nebraska', 'the river' and 'tunnel of love' still sound timeless

Use your illusion 1 + 2

the album(s) that really launched GNR... are not a patch on Appetite for destruction when GNR were a real band and not a coked up parody of a metal band. Axel really lead with a whip on UYI meaning too many of the songs are embellished with orchestral movements which, imho, are totally unnecessary. Theres 24 songs between the two albums that easily should have been pared down to a 10-12 decent album. Songs like 'pretty tied up' 'so fine' 'back off bitch' and 'you aint the first' are pure filler material.... pity because theres some excellent songs on both albums.

Melancholy and the infinite sadness

see above but switch axel for billy... a double album that should have been edited to create one decent, possibly great, album.

The Wall

As a huge PF fan, im not afraid to admit that The Wall is a massively over rated album. It has the floyds biggest radio friendly single in in ABITWp2.. which happens to be possibly the worst song theyve ever produced (ummagumma aside). Its only saving grace is the fact DG was half interested enough to put a decent solo performance in. The whole album was waters concept, he lead the design from the front and where rogers strengths may lie in concept and mood, his lyrical prowess isnt great, and his musical arranging skills less so. Rick wright, arguably the most "musical" of the quartet was hardly ever around for the recordings... he offered very little musically as he was going through a marriage breakdown at the time, and he wasnt exactly to the fore in fighting against waters bullying tactics. Gilmour was too coked up to give a feck. Nick just nodded his head and sat on the fence, as ever ;)
    What made the wall such a behemoth was the multi disciplinary assault they took with it, first the album in all its conceptual pomp, then the extremely courageous live shows (that they lost a shed load of money on) and then the movie. It lives on because of the aura of its courage, but not because of its music.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Born in the USA

not the bosses best album ever, not even his best album of the 80's
    The production has meant it has dated badly over the years while albums like 'nebraska', 'the river' and 'tunnel of love' still sound timeless

Use your illusion 1 + 2

the album(s) that really launched GNR... are not a patch on Appetite for destruction when GNR were a real band and not a coked up parody of a metal band. Axel really lead with a whip on UYI meaning too many of the songs are embellished with orchestral movements which, imho, are totally unnecessary. Theres 24 songs between the two albums that easily should have been pared down to a 10-12 decent album. Songs like 'pretty tied up' 'so fine' 'back off bitch' and 'you aint the first' are pure filler material.... pity because theres some excellent songs on both albums.

Melancholy and the infinite sadness

see above but switch axel for billy... a double album that should have been edited to create one decent, possibly great, album.

The Wall

As a huge PF fan, im not afraid to admit that The Wall is a massively over rated album. It has the floyds biggest radio friendly single in in ABITWp2.. which happens to be possibly the worst song theyve ever produced (ummagumma aside). Its only saving grace is the fact DG was half interested enough to put a decent solo performance in. The whole album was waters concept, he lead the design from the front and where rogers strengths may lie in concept and mood, his lyrical prowess isnt great, and his musical arranging skills less so. Rick wright, arguably the most "musical" of the quartet was hardly ever around for the recordings... he offered very little musically as he was going through a marriage breakdown at the time, and he wasnt exactly to the fore in fighting against waters bullying tactics. Gilmour was too coked up to give a feck. Nick just nodded his head and sat on the fence, as ever ;)
    What made the wall such a behemoth was the multi disciplinary assault they took with it, first the album in all its conceptual pomp, then the extremely courageous live shows (that they lost a shed load of money on) and then the movie. It lives on because of the aura of its courage, but not because of its music.

Have to agree with you about The Wall. I'm a big Floyd fan too but I find the Wall overblown with far too many superfluous tracks, it was the product of Waters massive ego and Gilmour's apathy. I find The Division Bell's high points (and Gilmour's On An Island) more musically pleasing than a lot of the stuff on The Wall. As I've gotten older I've really grown to love and appreciate the older Floyd stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jgoty2001

everything by Johnny Cash ... especially those final 'cash-in' albums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It's good but the follow-up Tusk is an amazing record. 20 tracks no filler. One of the best ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

Blood Sugar Sex Magic by RHCP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Anything by Mumford and Sons. Ponce Rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Affable wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a philistine, but Joshua Tree only seemed to have the major singles. The rest of it seemed really boring.
    This is blatantly untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

This is blatantly untrue.

It isn't really, with the possible exception of Bullet The Blue Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Suas11 wrote: »
    It isn't really, with the possible exception of Bullet The Blue Sky.

No love for

Red Hill Mining Town
    Running To Stand Still
    Exit
    Mothers Of The Disappeared ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No love for

Red Hill Mining Town
    Running To Stand Still
    Exit
    One Tree Hill and In God`s Country are hardly clunkers either...some people regard it as pretentious and maybe they have a point.Whatever it is,it ain`t boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    No love for

Red Hill Mining Town
    Running To Stand Still
    Exit

It's been a long time since I've listened to it but nope.

Btw, I think Achtung Baby is a far superior album.

Advertisement