Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Albums?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭thesultan

Wish you were here Pink Floyd. Don't get all the hype. 5 songs too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Had a couple of listens to R.E.M's greatest hits album last year and after 15 albums and 25 years of making music, everyone of their albums must be overated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Had a couple of listens to R.E.M's greatest hits album last year and after 15 albums and 25 years of making music, everyone of their albums must be overated!

Did you actually listen to any of their albums or just the greatest hits?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Am I the only one that doesnt get the whole OK Computer thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Sully34 wrote: »

No.

• Advertisement

tommy2bad wrote: »
    No.
    And dont get me started on that bloody Kid A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I'd give it 8/10, In Rainbows is a better album.

So what two songs are you docking 2 points for?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

That statement is completely alien to me. I still can't get ANYTHING out of In Rainbows. Nothing. Not one tune, anywhere. I'd find it hard to give it 4 out of 10.

Ok Computer is a 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

thesultan wrote: »
    Wish you were here Pink Floyd. Don't get all the hype. 5 songs too
    It wouldn't be my favourite Pink Floyd album but I think it gets hyped because of the title track, which does wear thin after many listens. However I think 'Welcome To The Machine' is a great track and the two 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' tracks that book-end the album are damn good too. What lets it down for me the the production, I don't think the album has aged well compared to their other albums. I don't see what having 5 songs has to do with anything, it's still a 44-minute album.

• Advertisement

So what two songs are you docking 2 points for?

Not rating it song by song really, just in general.
    column wrote: »
    That statement is completely alien to me. I still can't get ANYTHING out of In Rainbows. Nothing. Not one tune, anywhere. I'd find it hard to give it 4 out of 10.

Ok Computer is a 9.

Everyone's different I guess. I think In Rainbows is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

Overated - anything by Queen bar their Greatest Hits album
    They have some great individual songs off various albums, but their albums in totality are mediocre at best IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Overated - anything by Queen bar their Greatest Hits album
    They have some great individual songs off various albums, but their albums in totality are mediocre at best IMHO

I don't think you can count Greatest Hits albums as real albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Misteree

Babel by Mumford and Sons

I like the band, but zero progression made by them, and it ended up being disappointing.

It's not bad, but I definitely believe El Camino by Black Keys deserved the Grammy for Best Album over it, by a country mile.

Suede - Coming Up
    Now it's not **** but it's really not as good as it is reported to be. Maybe I'm biased as I was, and still am, a huge fan of Dog Man Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Deschain

From reading through some of this thread a lot of you do not know what you are talking about.

The Beatles are legends
    Pink Floyd are legends
    Led Zeppelin are legends
    Jimi Hednrix is a legend
    Bob Dylan is a legend
    The Who are legends

All these artists made great music, lets see you do better.

You're not really getting the point of this thread are you?

Oh I got the point of the thread, its the actual content of the thread I was commenting on. So do not assume to know what point I was getting from it.

Deschain wrote: »
    Oh I got the point of the thread, its the actual content of the thread I was commenting on. So do not assume to know what point I was getting from it.

Do you understand the concept of a subjective opinion then?

Do you understand the concept of a subjective opinion then?
    do you? I was only stating mine. I do not need to justify it to you or anybody else. i made the comment because i wanted to, just like anyone else here. So please stop asking me questions like you are putting my intelligence on trial, i find it insulting.

• Advertisement

Ok lads. Let's not start making it personal.

do you? I was only stating mine. I do not need to justify it to you or anybody else. i made the comment because i wanted to, just like anyone else here. So please stop asking me questions like you are putting my intelligence on trial, i find it insulting.

Not trying to be insulting at all. I'm just saying you can't expect everyone to like every artist you listed. Some will, some won't.

On top of all that - even legendary artists can make over-rated albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

From reading through some of this thread a lot of you do not know what you are talking about.

The Beatles are legends
    Pink Floyd are legends
    Led Zeppelin are legends
    Jimi Hednrix is a legend
    Bob Dylan is a legend
    The Who are legends

All these artists made great music, lets see you do better.
    And I assume you do. As far as I'm concerned...

The Replacements are legends
    Black Flag are legends
    The Smiths are legends
    Hüsker Dü are legends
    The Cure are legends
    The Velvet Underground are legends

All these artists made great music. Neither of us is right or wrong here, I'll even accept that people will think the above artists released overrated albums.

Nirvana - Nevermind. It's a very good album. And it had a huge impact. It's still not nearly as interesting as Bossanova or Doolittle from The Pixies. Nirvana made good songs. Pixies made exciting, enthralling music.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 marrkarnell

Coldplay makes good music but their I hate their vocals. Dont know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I stuck The Wall on again recently. I think it's definitely a case of fur coat, no knickers. Albeit a nice coat on occasion.

There's some really lame production aspects on that album that embody all that was wrong about 80's rock music-rubbish drum sound, digital chorus etc. And let's face it; Roger Waters can't sing. Often times it's somewhere between verging on tone deaf and a yelp like being caught unsuspectingly doing your thing on the jacks.

The real genius of that album is the marketing and hoopla surrounding the concept etc. There's definitely a brand-like quality to the artwork and marketing.

Good aspects of the album-'if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!', plane sounds, David Gilmour on occasion.

But hey, what do I know- 23 million people can't be wrong, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Don't know about you but i was very very disappointed with the new Daft Punk Album only 2 good songs on it and that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Ya

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 Violate_Me

OK Computer

I liked Karma Police and a couple of others on it, but it's NOT the greatest album ever......

Advertisement