Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated Albums?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 lklklk89

Lynskey wrote: »
    I think whether or not you like U2 seems to be entirely dependant on what you think of Bono

Anyone who says Radiohead, Pink Floyd or the Beatles are overrated should be shot...'nuff said

Nirvana-Nevermind is incredibly overated

true man, but musically u2 are very bland. Bono may be a tosser but theyd be like aslan without him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Rubber Soul-The Beatles
    I m a Beatles fan but this album is weak.Hugely over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭FV-Emperor

How U2 are so popular just eludes me

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

Have to agree with Beck's Odelay. I loved Mellow Gold so rushed out and got Odelay and holy crap it was poor. Music Critics were afraid to pan it as it would have made them look uncool to thrash someone who at that time was the newest saviour of alt rock.

I understand the sentiment regarding U2. I just never got them. Seen them at Slane and came away wondering what all the fuss was about.

But most overrated album is Oasis "What's the Story Morning Glory". I remember the whole country was Oasis mad back then and even back then I thought it was a steaming pile of poo.

I don't agree on OK Computer. It still ranks amoung one of my favourite albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

phatkev wrote: »
    beatles-revolver
    anything by the arctic monkeys
    Franz Ferdinand-Franz Ferdinand
    U mad man, it's probably there best album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

Van Morrisson's "Astral Weeks" seems to come out top (or thereabouts) in many critics polls.

To be honest, that's the reason I bought it.

Never could warm to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Never Mind the Bollocks and The Clash's first album - they get the plaudits because they were their first.

Songs in the Key of Life - it's no Innervisions. Morning Glory is a pile of dungpee. Never got Kid A.

But the most over-rated of them all is Sergeant Pepper.

All rap albums are over-rated not by their critics of course but by their fans.
    Lil Wayne and 50 cent being two notables

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

american idiot-green day

probably their worst album ever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

arctic monkeys - favourite worst nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭jenny2hat

sky88 wrote: »
    arctic monkeys - favourite worst nightmare

:eek:I love that album :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

Interesting to see how people dont' rate u2. I'v never met anyone who likes them! I'd love to see the record collections of u2 fans. Lots of Phil collins im betting.

On subject: Can't agree that 'Blonde on Blonde' is overrated, but always thouht that the Beatles had lots of better albums than 'Sgt Pepper' ...still it does have 'A Day In The Life'.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

If anyone has heard trout mask replica by captain beefheart could you please explain to me what the f**k that is about. It doesn't sound coherent at all yet its widely critically acclaimed and gets into any of those top 100 album list Q and Rolling Stone are so fond of doing. (Thought safe as milk was good though) I have to second pet sounds as well i just dont think its that great certainly nothing compared to the Beatles who Brian Wilson i believe was trying to copy particularly rubber soul (which is prefectly rated as its class:D)

And anyone knocking radiohead, you sir, are bat sh*t crazy:p

Metallica albums tend to be over-rated

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Reading the title of this Thread the first thing that came into my head was all U2 albums, then after reading some posts I see that im not the only one with that opinion, At this stage they are famous for being famous, but in saying that most main stream bands are, and I know Ill get some stick for this next one but anything by AC/DC so so over rated, and they have tripled thier fan base in the last 5 years or so again because of who they are! Check out ACCEPT if you like AC/DC they but them to shame! hahah:D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

I would have to say every kings of leon record, an over rated band itself, the ting tings ' we started nothing' album,a crap band too. U2-All That You Can't Leave Behind, a few good singles but nothing special about the album. It was simply an improvement on Pop. Most of all, an album which people say is the best of all time, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. One or two songs which are the best the Beatles ever did but most of the album is slight such as 'fixing a hole','with a little help from my friends','being for the benefit of mr kite' and the reprise of the title track. Nowhere near as good as revolver as an album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭liam09

U2 albums are over rated every single album they only have 2 good songs the ting tangs are over rated and there useless album

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

FV-Emperor wrote: »
    How U2 are so popular just eludes me

trying to be god and american and turning up at any opportunity to save the world does not hurt records sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

tommyfitz wrote: »
    any jazz album

:rolleyes: FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Metallica-Death Magnetic

Glad to see someone else who thinks Death Magnetic is overrated. It's not next or near as great as 'Kill 'Em All, Ride The Lightening, Master of Puppets or The Black Album'. They are only in it for the money now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Jay Z - The Blueprint 1 and 2 and maybe even 3

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭column

The Strokes - Is This It?
    The Verve - Urban Hymns
    Radiohead - In Rainbows

Now I love Radiohead but I just dont get In Rainbows.

Yeah Id say the strokes became over-rated after the first album, or maybe more that they tended to have all their songs sound the same

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

column wrote: »
    The Strokes - Is This It?
    Radiohead - In Rainbows

Now I love Radiohead but I just dont get In Rainbows.

nah disagree with all of the above..... think both of those albums are pretty cool...

strokes one maybe one of my fav of all time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 George138

The album is not over rated its one of the greatest albums the beatles ever done maybe if ye took the time to actualy listen to it youd see where im coming from its ****in rock and roll at its finest

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

flameboy87 wrote: »
    The way KOL have stayed so fresh is because they have changed style with each album. The strokes as you said became burnt out because it all seemed so repetative as each song came from the same angle. This can also be said for the latest AC/DC album which is so repetative of their previous stuff. I'm not sayin that KOL's first two albums are any better or worse than their latter two but i do think they can be appreciated for versatality that other bands just can't produce

They haven't changed style, rather have become bland and quite frankly, crap due to them losing their co-writer of the first two albums for the last two. An inidication of their true 'talent' right there.

Just heard they've launched a line of clothes for some designer. Rock 'n' roll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Oh,

Elbow - Seldom Seen Kid - BORING! So overrated!

The Verve - Not that bad but not that good either.

Anything by Oasis. Laughable lyrics. How many times do they rhyme a word with morning in the opening line of their songs? Something like seven!

Pink Floyd. Hate them. Or maybe I just don't get them but, never liked them. Don't see all the fuss over Dark Side of the Moon.

Damien Rice - shut up you whining git! Nobody cares how sad you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

All u2 stuff

all metalicas stuff

all ac/dc's stuff...

majority of Dr dre's work

kings of Leon also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I must disagree with the In Rainbows comment, it's close enough to being a perfect album I'd say.
    Built to Spill's "Keep it like a secret" is far overrated
    as is
    Weezer's "Pinkerton"
    and also
    Sigur Rós' "Ágætis Byrjun"
    and finally
    Star' "Heart"

Advertisement