Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Well even if you are gigging, a little practice amp is always good! I say go for the amp! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Man I really wish I could play guitar,I tried to learn years ago and just failed at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Links234 wrote: »
    Well even if you are gigging, a little practice amp is always good! I say go for the amp! ;)

Yeah I need something a bit more substantial than my puny little 1W Marshall battery operated job!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Man I really wish I could play guitar,I tried to learn years ago and just failed at it.

I was the same as this and still am pretty crap. But after I learned to play things slow I started getting much better. Guitar definitely requires a lot of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I tuned my guitar to drop d and just played punk riffs for years. Now I'm struggling, but getting there, in standard tuning, playing more challenging stuff.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    I tuned my guitar to drop d and just played punk riffs for years. Now I'm struggling, but getting there, in standard tuning, playing more challenging stuff.

Learning myself a lot of Lizzy and Megadeth riffs, they're surprisingly unchallenging once you get the hang of them.

I was naughty and had a Jaipur at the pub :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cill94 wrote: »
    I was the same as this and still am pretty crap. But after I learned to play things slow I started getting much better. Guitar definitely requires a lot of patience.
    Grayditch wrote: »
    P_1 wrote: »
    Learning myself a lot of Lizzy and Megadeth riffs, they're surprisingly unchallenging once you get the hang of them.

Are ye teaching yourself? Or getting lessons?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Hammered then Links? :pac:

I taught myself for a while, but learned more in 2 months with lessons that I ever did on my own. You can teach yourself, I'm sure, but with lessons, you get homework and a real focused path to help you. Playing guitar is so much fun, as is the bass :)

• Advertisement

Nah, not hammered, just had the one. I love going for a early/mid-week pint when everything's quiet, best time tbh and I'd hate to miss out on it :)

As far as guitar goes, I'm not really any good, but I love playing even if all I can do is play a few riffs. Just love it so much, I don't really care if I can't play a whole song or anything

Self teaching but I have watched John Petrucci's Rock Discipline a few times.

Mainly I just listen to the song, nab the tab and start bashing away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Anyone use Rocksmith? Or have an opinion on it? I know a few people who claim to be doing well in learning guitar with it, one guy's been using it for 9 months and says he's doing well. I haven't heard him play though.

I was thinking of getting it myself last Steam sale, but you need some sort of special cable, so I didn't get it. Might do at some point in future. I heard it is a lot better on PC than on console though

Never heard of Rocksmith before. Hmm perhaps that might be a better option that a new amp for the moment. Not too sure how it'll work on my crappy laptop though.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I keep meaning to get back into playing bass. Was really enjoying it but since I started my PhD I've just not had the time for it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Ah I had to run a duster over my guitar before I picked it up again, the one good thing from recuperating from surgery is that it's given me plenty of time to rediscover my joy for playing guitar :pac:

I use to play drums years ago in a band but gave up,I must break out the kit this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Qwertee tempted me into one of their InsaniTEE sales, but at €12.25 for 2 t-shirts including delivery how could I not be!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Links234 wrote: »
    Yeah, but I think O'Briens take the piss in general, so I'm not that shocked.

They do have a nice red wine called Dark Side though :pac:
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    Anyone use Rocksmith? Or have an opinion on it? I know a few people who claim to be doing well in learning guitar with it, one guy's been using it for 9 months and says he's doing well. I haven't heard him play though.

Rocksmith 2014 is the f*cking bomb. I sh*t you not.
    I've been playing guitar for 30 years, self taught, and I was decent enough before I got Rocksmith, but even after playing it for a couple of days I noticed a dramatic improvement in my playing. My missus has been playing guitar for three-ish years and she has also improved dramatically.

Also, my bandmates said there was a noticeable improvement even the first time they heard me play after I got it....

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Never heard of Rocksmith before. Hmm perhaps that might be a better option that a new amp for the moment. Not too sure how it'll work on my crappy laptop though.

Have you got Xbox or Playstation? We're playing it through Xbox, and you need to buy a special guitar jack/usb cable.....

They do have a nice red wine called Dark Side though :pac:

Rocksmith 2014 is the f*cking bomb. I sh*t you not.
    I've been playing guitar for 30 years, self taught, and I was decent enough before I got Rocksmith, but even after playing it for a couple of days I noticed a dramatic improvement in my playing. My missus has been playing guitar for three-ish years and she has also improved dramatically.

Also, my bandmates said there was a noticeable improvement even the first time they heard me play after I got it....

I am really tempted by that :D

Seriously man, I've been boring the sh*t out of everyone talking aout it since I got it.....

Seriously man, I've been boring the sh*t out of everyone talking aout it since I got it.....

Would it be suitable for starting from scratch?

I may have to get Rocksmith then... Maybe at Christmas :D

Would it be suitable for starting from scratch?

Absolutely. Lesson 101 is how to hold your guitar :pac:

On one level here's various lessons on strumming, chords, scales, hammer ons blah, blah, blah..

There's also guitarcade, which for example one game is practicing scale hand positions in an arcade beat em up style like Double Dragon or something, there's games for learning chords, slides, legato etc.

Then there's the guitarhero style learn a song, with I think 50 tunes from AIC to Slayer, The Police, Rush, Bob Dylan, Deftones, Pantera (plus loads of downloadables)... which is set up to scroll like guitar hero, but it starts each song at the most basic level ie hit one note per bar, the AI sees what level you're playing at and keeps on upping the ante the whole time... throwing in more stuff each bar and there's also a riff repeat where you can pause and concentrate on one section of the song for as long as you want, slow it down etc.

You can also set up a band to "jam" with that follows whatever you do, and you can use it for recording too.

This place is rocking well these days :D Nice to see so many people chatting ;)

I'm still infatuated with my beer, I keep going down to check on it every so often, listening outside the cupboard door for bubbling sounds :pac: I'm all proud and everything, I got a beer baby! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I eagerly await the pictures of you cradling the equipment :pac:

Decided to root out Rocksmith and give it another go :)

• Advertisement

Once it's ready, we'll have a drink to celebrate! :D

Advertisement