Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scream 4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

And the reviews are filtering in: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/scream-4/#!reviews=all

Mixed so far, but only a few have weighed in. TBH I'm still surprised how quick this one snuck up, haven't seen much publicity for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mixed so far, but only a few have weighed in. TBH I'm still surprised how quick this one snuck up, haven't seen much publicity for it!
    I'll be staying away from message boards as it's supposed to have a "shocking" ending.. how "shocking" it'll be is debatable.

I'll probably go see it if it evens out at fresh (above 70%) at RottenTomatoes come Friday.

Scream 1 was fresh (82%).
    Scream 2 was fresh (81%... bit generous. It was good but not that good!).
    Scream 3 was rotten (38%.. and well-deserved).

If it's middling-low reviews, I won't bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah unfortunately 2 and 3 were pretty much just "Hmm, I wonder what random side character with be Ghost Face this time!".

We'll see. I'm not entirely optimistic, but at the very least hopefully it will be self aware popcorn fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭jimcoolding

I love these movies. So cheesy but so fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Basq wrote: »

Remember a scene in the third film (I think) where there's a black guy running down the stairs and the "Ghost Face" is chasing him and he shouts a "whoaaaa sh*t!" - remember it sounding abnormally funny / dubbed.

Still looking forward to seeing what Craven will do.. is Kevin Williamson still writing it? I presume so!

Tyson; he says "Oh you mother****a." Kinda funny, but out of place (but in keeping with part 3) as dialogue goes in the franchise.

Really looking forward to this. Loved the original, still do, found the second to be almost as good and part 3 was only ok but that movie was doomed from the get-go.

After seeing and hearing comments from the cast this does sound like it's back to the original (Williamson had intended part 3 to be a 'return to Woodsboro' story but this was completely changed so he gets to do it now) in terms of quality and I honestly don't think they would have agreed to do it if it wasn't good, especially Neve Campbell who swore she'd never do another. I don't think any of them were happy with part 3, Craven notably saying it became more like a Scooby-Doo type of mystery as opposed to the first two. This movie wasn't without it's problems though. Here's a post from another forum which goes into more detail on the issues around part 4 for anyone interested:

They had asked Kevin Williamson to write a new one for years but he didn't want to, nor did the cast or Wes Craven want to. Years after part 3 Craven asked him would it be possible and he said no. To do just one would be difficult since the first three were a trilogy set up from the start. So he had a think about it and came up with the overall story for a new trilogy. He pitched the ideas to the Weinsteins and they loved it. Williamson has allegedly signed a contract to write 4 and 5, 5 being dependent on the success of 4, but nothing concrete is known about part 6.

The problem is that when he finished writing 4 last year he allegedly had a hissy fit. He removed all ties to the movie including removing the tag 'writer of scream 4' from his Twitter bio and deleting all posts he'd made on Twitter mentioning his work while writing the script. There was a slight delay in the start of production and people speculate it's down to the Weinsteins dictating the changes to the script, Williamson throwing a wobbler and having to get Ehren Kreuger in to do some re-writes. Kreuger is the one who wrote part 3 based on a 30 page outline by Williamson who couldn't write it at the time due to other obligations. So hardcore fans were going mental since most hold Krueger responsible for part 3 being easily the worst of the franchise. To be honest, yes it's obvious Williamson didn't write part 3, but he can't be blamed for it solely. That movie had lots of problems.

Since Williamson distanced himself from the movie he had absolutely no comment on it, no interviews and refused to take part in 2 documentaries which are coming out soon about the movie. The documentaries really sound interesting and have been worked on for the past year. The guys behind one of them have done some critically acclaimed documentaries on other horror series. Very recently, Williamson said on his Twitter that it was nice talking with Craven. Craven responded in like. It's the first hint that things, if they soured, are being patched up. My take on it would be Craven spoke with Williamson and reassured him that his script is mostly still there and the movie is up there with the original in terms of quality. Craven has always said that while small rewrites were done this is common with any movie. And those rewrites were minor dialogue rather than entire scenes and maintains the movie is still Williamson's story and script. All the cast, notably Campbell who said she'd never do another one, have said the script is great and easily the closest to the original. It's gotten good reviews in pre-screenings from the press and genuinely looks like it will be very good. Whether Williamson is forced into promoting this or indeed writing the next one will be interesting to see. But the sheer fact it's his script for this movie makes the expectation go up notably over part 3. I see this easily making enough money to make part 5 but if Williamson isn't the one writing it, I'd rather it didn't happen to be honest.

Since I wrote that more information has come out about the alleged bust-up. Williamson said he and the Weinstein's had a difference of artistic opinion, they "had a huge fight but hugged it out" and they're fine. But when asked had he spoken to the Weinsteins since he said no.
    The Weinsteins say it had nothing to do with a difference of opinion and was down to deadlines not being met. So, even though they've finally come out to try and clarify things, it's no clearer at all.

Disappointed this is only 16 here cause it means there's more chance of annoying teenagers (also under 16) being in the cinema. I wanted to go to the midnight showing in Vue tomorrow but couldn't book online so had to settle for 9:30 in Blanch as that's their latest showing. Really looking forward to it now but it's been hard the last couple of weeks avoiding a myriad of spoilers which have surfaced. Why you'd want to ruin a 'who-done-it' movie for yourself I'll never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tyson; he says "Oh you mother****a." Kinda funny, but out of place (but in keeping with part 3) as dialogue goes in the franchise.
    That was it..! :D

45 seconds in..

(spoilers I suppose)

Some were saying they haven't seen or heard much about the movie so maybe it's not being promoted much. It's all over Twitter. Wes Craven, Emma Roberts, David Arquette, Anthony Anderson, Alison Brie, Lucy Hale, Shenae Grimes (I might have forgotten some) all have official accounts and have been tweeting about the movie for months.
    Anthony Anderson gave away tickets to the premier the other day, Wes has given away signed posters, masks, soundtracks for months as well as premier tickets recently and RJ Torbert (who runs the company Funworld who supply TWC with the masks/costumes for the movie) has given away prizes for months also. They've been very generous it has to be said.

Would kill for a signed mask by Craven.

BBC showed Scream last night. Dialogue is still so good and some of the scenes are just brilliant. Anyone else watch it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

iguana wrote: »
    The logline, new decade, new rules, brings out the pedant in me. The Scream movies are just so quintessentially of the 90s they are so clearly from 2 decades ago rather than one.

(I know the last one was released in 2000 but only just so it was written and filmed in 99. It still feels 90s and it was stupid to boot.)

To be an even bigger pedant,if it says new decade then why isnt it correct?

Its a different decade from the last one whether you consider it a 90's movie or a 00's movie so........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

To be an even bigger pedant,if it says new decade then why isnt it correct?

Its a different decade from the last one whether you consider it a 90's movie or a 00's movie so........

Because new decade implies the next decade, not some random other decade at some point.

I guess it's that I was a teenager when the first 2 came out and in my 30s now that makes it such a stupid logline to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

iguana wrote: »
    Because new decade implies the next decade, not some random other decade at some point.

I guess it's that I was a teenager when the first 2 came out and in my 30s now that makes it such a stupid logline to me.

but it doesnt say "next decade", its says "new decade" and Scream 3 came out in 2000, that was last decade, wheres the issue?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

krudler wrote: »
    but it doesnt say "next decade", its says "new decade" and Scream 3 came out in 2000, that was last decade, wheres the issue?

Because the movies all scream 90s. Everything about them is 90s. The clothes, the dialogue, the attitude, the unimportance of the internet. (Scream 3 was made in the 90s, the star of that movie was the mobile phone, fgs.)

Also Sydney was a teenager in the first ones and is in her 30s now. We've bypassed her 20s, it's clearly 2 decades on. Gail and Dewey were mid 20s in the first one and 40s now, bypassing their 30s.

"New decade, new rules" definitely implies that was the last one this is the new one and there has not been a whole other decade in between, because by definition new implies that there was a last. Different decade might have worked better.

Anyway, as I said at the start, it's just me being pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 eire126

Hey so is there anyonne from cork on this? Just wondering is this being shown in mahon point....its not on the listings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Scream 3 was dumb.. harmless fun but dumb. Scream 4 is just ****ing moronic!
    The franchise is tired and drawn out and pretty predictable at this stage.
    The social media/blogging and live stream theme had potential but was under developed.

I don't know if anyone will agree with me but I think they pushed some of the comic relief moments over the line.
    I felt like I was watching 'Scary Movie' when
    the black cop delivered the "**** Bruce Willis" line before dying.

Disappointed.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Lol, a bit :o to say this now but i thought it was really great tbh :D
    Cheesy cheese moments at the beginning but once it was into it, i felt like i was watching the first one, almost lol

8/10 from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Just back from seeing this. Would agree with the above poster. Found it very enjoyable and had a few jumpy moments. It helped the viewing experience that after the first victim got knifed some guy in a scream costume ran around the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Lol, a bit :o to say this now but i thought it was really great tbh :D
    Cheesy cheese moments at the beginning but once it was into it, i felt like i was watching the first one, almost lol

8/10 from me!

Cool! I was hoping someone would say something like that! I can't wait to see it!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm going into this film expecting a cheesy, over the top, predictable, cliched film, just like the first 3. But I enjoyed the first 3, so I expect to enjoy this one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Im really excited to see this movie, although I won't be able to see it until next week at the earliest. Here in France that's dangerous as new releases sometimes only stay out for a week!!!!

Do I run that risk or go see it on my own like a loner...?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

I don't know if anyone will agree with me but I think they pushed some of the comic relief moments over the line.

I felt like I was watching 'Scary Movie' when
    the black cop delivered the "**** Bruce Willis" line before dying.

Man oh man that was horribly bad. Easily the dumbest moment of the series. I don't know if it quite qualifies for tokenism, but it sure pushes the boat out.

As for the rest, I though it was miles better than 3, which was awful, that's not to say this film doesn't have huge problems.

The opening five minutes were extremely tongue in cheek and I laughed out loud. Very funny. The re-introduction of the characters was handled well, but after that, things went rapidly down hill. The kills were unoriginal, lacked any real tension and the pay-offs were poor. I was bored.

The person/red herring you were supposed to think was the killer was too obvious and I managed to at least guess who was behind it all very early on. It's a little too easy. That said, the last fifteen minutes were great fun and I hadn't a clue were the film would end. I huge shame the entire film couldn't be like those last fifteen minutes. 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

At least we know why the ending was shocking. :)

Not a bad movie, but I found myself looking at my watch more than I should have. The last 20 minutes were good fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Seen this tonight also.

Was good fun, wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much with the atmosphere though - not a DVD movie so catch it in the cinema if you want to see it at all. Very cheesey (thank God) and story is decent enough to keep your attention. No real scary moments and I didn't jump but lots around me were, so I am just a little jaded at this stage (or spoiled after the Screen showing all classic horrors not so long back) either way, it's worth seeing and most certainly better than Scream 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Ok my biggest problem is that, to me, it focuses more on the comedy versus the horror and, therefore, works far better as a dark comedy/horror-comedy versus a horror film with comedy in it.

I don’t consider the first Scream an out and out horror myself but this film does have tone issues, it just seemed to fall into comedy more than suspense, and there weren’t a lot of scares, and the kills aren’t as inventive as the first. (or second)

+ The much more interesting ending would definitely
    been had the killer gotten away with it completely.
    I heard that was the original plan. It would have set up a great Scream 5 where
    the audience knows the killer, but none of the other character have a clue.
    Would have been really interesting.

+ The much more interesting ending would definitely
    been had the killer gotten away with it completely.
    I heard that was the original plan. It would have set up a great Scream 5 where
    the audience knows the killer, but none of the other character have a clue.
    Would have been really interesting.

Towards the end I was thinking
    yes, finally a slasher movie with a somewhat original end, the killer gets away! but no...instead we get a crappy death and a stupid one liner,bah

The two best characters in the movie were Kirby and Sidney's publicist (whatsername from Mad Men) the only two semi interesting characters, although the fact Hayden Patenniere (sp) is fooking gorgeous helps, short hair and all :D

krudler wrote: »
    The two best characters in the movie were Kirby and Sidney's publicist (whatsername from Mad Men) the only two semi interesting characters, although the fact Hayden Patenniere (sp) is fooking gorgeous helps, short hair and all :D

Oh agreed, damn fine and the movie would have been a whole less colourful without her for damn sure :)

haydenpanettierewallpapv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yeah was coming in here just to say how fine Hayden looked. :pac:

Decent film anyway, I thought I had it figured out but the fact that
    Jill was thrown into the mix was a bit of curve ball. I would have thought that the other film nerd guy was in on the act. Yeah I know he was stabbed but wasn't one of the lads from the 1st film stabbed as well?

cant have enough Hayden, nommmmm

hayden-panettiere.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Not even remotely scarey, I thought it was obvious who the killers were right from the start but it is a funny movie to watch, especially if you've a friend who quite literally jumps out of is seat in fright :D

I was in the states recently and bought one of those star maps and so thought I'd pop round and say hello to her. Didn't go to plan, she talks about it here :(

Another Scream 4 promotion interview:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Saw it last night and enjoyed it, Its now more of a parody than Screm 1 was, thought doing the remake sthick was fun and was genuinly enjoyable.

Advertisement