Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scream 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The definitive 1990's slasher horror is getting updated for the 21st century. Almost 15 years since the release of the original film in the series, the fourth installment is almost upon us!:D

Ten years since Sidney Prescott last battled with Ghostface, he re-emerges from the shadows and comes back to haunt her and attempt to end her life once again...

Personally, I cannot wait for this! I loved the original trilogy an awful lot and they were something of 'forbidden fruit' films for me, as my mother didn't like horror films and I wasn't allowed watch them! But I always did get to see them, and I loved them! I feel like I'll be re-visiting my childhood going to see this new one!

Wes Craven is back in the director's chair. The 3 major players from the originals (Neve Campbell, David Arquette, Courteney Cox-Arquette) are returning to reprise their roles of Sidney Prescott, Dewey Riley and Gail Weathers respectively.

Haven't seen any official trailers, but there are several fan-made ones lurking, just to get us in the mood!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, own the original three on DVD.

It's been a while since I watched them.

I remember loving the first one, found the second one was great fun (lots of fun nods and in-jokes - Jay and Silent Bob's appearance etc) but didn't enjoy the third much at all.

Remember a scene in the third film (I think) where there's a black guy running down the stairs and the "Ghost Face" is chasing him and he shouts a "whoaaaa sh*t!" - remember it sounding abnormally funny / dubbed.

Still looking forward to seeing what Craven will do.. is Kevin Williamson still writing it? I presume so!

Kevin Williamson is co-writing it with Ehren Kruger.

They got a cracking cast for it including Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin, Marley Shelton, Mary McDonnell, Adam Brody, Kristen Bell and Anna Paquin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

basquille wrote: »
    They got a cracking cast for it including Hayden Panettiere, Rory Culkin, Marley Shelton, Mary McDonnell, Adam Brody, Kristen Bell and Anna Paquin.

Ah Mary, don't do it!

Not really bothered by this at all. First one was good, but the two sequels were pretty poor. No doubt this will be in 3d, and will be as awful as most recent horrors/slashers.

• Advertisement

According to sources on IMDB, it's not going to be 3D (thankfully) and I'd say it will be an interesting horror/comedy flick, cos Craven knows what he's about and I think it will surpass the 2nd and 3rd installments (tho I really loved them too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I really enjoyed the first one. I thought the second was OK, some good moments but disapointing ending. I thought the third was an abomination and spoiled the whole series to an extent, certainly the storyline anyway.

I'm somewhat interested in this. The cast looks great.

Oh God, please let them kill Courtney Cox this time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You know, I've never seen a Scream film. I don't know why. Would consider picking up the trilogy, although have had many of the 'surprises' of the first spoiled on my through years of movie discussion; particularly those crappy channel 4 '100 Best...' whatever shows I used to watch when I was bored on Saturday nights.
    Kristen Bell and Anna Paquin

Yes please. If Kristen Bell starred in more stuff that was actually good, it could only work out favourably. She seems to have undone all her good Veronica Mars character building with increasingly godawful looking rom-coms.

You know, I've never seen a Scream film. I don't know why. Would consider picking up the trilogy, although have had many of the 'surprises' of the first spoiled on my through years of movie discussion; particularly those crappy channel 4 '100 Best...' whatever shows I used to watch when I was bored on Saturday nights.
    Definitely pick up the first one Johnny.

The movie geek in us all somewhat identify with Jamie Kennedy's character of Randy (though he is very irritating for the most part), and Tim Olyphant is decent in Scream 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely pick up the first one Johnny.

The movie geek in us all somewhat identify with Jamie Kennedy's character of Randy (though he is very irritating for the most part), and Tim Olyphant is decent in Scream 2.

I may do, think I saw the trilogy cheap in Tesco of all places.

Scream was one of those films that was like the forbidden fruit when I was younger - the big red 18s classification made it far more tempting than it could probably turn out to be. It was up there with American Pie as a film that looked great although could never trick my parents into allowing me to watch. Ah, how much better things are when you're younger, American Pie for example, which was profoundly disappointing when I actually watched it :pac:.

I may do, think I saw the trilogy cheap in Tesco of all places.

Scream was one of those films that was like the forbidden fruit when I was younger - the big red 18s classification made it far more tempting than it could probably turn out to be. It was up there with American Pie as a film that looked great although could never trick my parents into allowing me to watch. Ah, how much better things are when you're younger, American Pie for example, which was profoundly disappointing when I actually watched it :pac:.

I picked up the trilogy in HMV about two weeks ago for €9.99!!! Can't go wrong!

Plus, I can totally sympathise with the forbidden fruit angle! Parents can be so daft when it comes to censoring things... as if I was never gonna see those films anyway!!! Saw Scream when I was like 8 (loved it then, love it now) and the sequels shortly after they were released.

And there is a rumour (though I think it has subsequently been disproven) that the
    3 major characters from the original films (Sidney, Gail and Dewey) were to be killed in the cold opening of the new film.

Hopefully it'll be full of the suspense and surprises that Wes Craven has been so deft at delivering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

DazMarz wrote: »
    And there is a rumour (though I think it has subsequently been disproven) that the
    3 major characters from the original films (Sidney, Gail and Dewey) were to be killed in the cold opening of the new film.
    I'd be surprised if that happened, I mean they're not setting the world alight, I can't really see them agreeing to another Scream film only to be killed off in the opening minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

OH YESSSSSSS!! :D:eek::):D

Anyone know if any of the original cast are starring in it?

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Anyone know if any of the original cast are starring in it?
    Read the original post again..

• Registered Users Posts: 85,646 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

scream_4_poster2.jpg

Trailer is suppose to be out in November

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some sites are claiming they'll have the premier of the trailer on Halloween, I love the Scream franchise, although Scream 3 was exactly the type of film they cleverly tore apart in Scream 1.

Regardless I hold out hope for Scream 4 being actually decent, as its been so long since the original so who knows both Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson might be able to turn the slasher genre right on its head yet again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 AidoK82

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Regardless I hold out hope for Scream 4 being actually decent, as its been so long since the original so who knows both Wes Craven and Kevin Williamson might be able to turn the slasher genre right on its head yet again!

Same here. Slightly concerned, though, that apparently Williamson's script was re-written a fair bit by Ehren Kruger, who wrote Scream 3. S3 wasn't awful, but it was definitely the weakest of the trilogy by far. Bit too much comedy, and not enough suspense/scares. Craven & Williamson's last joint effort wasn't the best, either- Cursed. (Though I think studio interference caused that to turn out how it did.) Aside from that, I really hope Scream 4 will be good, too, and do justice to the characters and films of the original trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

AidoK82 wrote: »
    S3 wasn't awful

Ah no,it was awful,really,really awful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same here. Slightly concerned, though, that apparently Williamson's script was re-written a fair bit by Ehren Kruger, who wrote Scream 3. S3 wasn't awful, but it was definitely the weakest of the trilogy by far. Bit too much comedy, and not enough suspense/scares. Craven & Williamson's last joint effort wasn't the best, either- Cursed. (Though I think studio interference caused that to turn out how it did.) Aside from that, I really hope Scream 4 will be good, too, and do justice to the characters and films of the original trilogy.

That was the biggest problem with Scream 3, well along with the acting!! :P

I still hold out hope for Scream 4!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Reallllly looking forward to this. I love the scream franchise.

If I could have it my way, this should be a scary mo fo of a movie, great acting/direction with some very new rules and some good laughs.

I think they should call it quits after this - hopefully the can redeem from Scream 3 and bow out with grace.

Anyone reckon they'll kill off Sidney, Gale or Dewey- or all three- this time around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsYE0oSHRVU (the trailer: not fantastic quality, but you can still make out most of it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsYE0oSHRVU (the trailer: not fantastic quality, but you can still make out most of it)
    Thanks.. but will wait for official.

Thanks for that! It looks great, but then again isn't that the point of a trailer! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The first Scream was great. Really clever, suspenseful and enjoyable. But the sequels, as pointed out already, were everything it parodied in the original. Won't be waiting for this with baited breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,646 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If this is the last film they should make Sidney the killer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If this is the last film they should make Sidney the killer
    That'd be so hackenyed and obvious that I'd expect better than that..

.. but it is Craven so actually, no I wouldn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Great work out of the casting crew.

• Advertisement

Advertisement