Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to kick out the Israeli Ambassador?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ireland has too much to lose in picking a fight with the USA - Multi-Nationals, Tourism etc. but that is not to say that the US Ambassador should be called in and told that their unequivocal support for the Israeli action is not acceptable. Almost the entire World save the USA has condemned the attacks on Gaza.

Have Austria condemned them? Sweden? The Swiss? Liechtenstein? Finland?
    I only ask as they too are neutral nations so I'd be impressed if they have either. So it's not just The USA. I'm pretty confident there are plenty of other nations that havent either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

that is their stated aim and they recieved popular support in Gazas' election.

And?

Does that make it viable or indeed right?

A United Ireland was an aim of the political parties here in the 60's and 70's, without Unionist consent. Times change!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Mark200 wrote: »
    You can't see what it has to do with neutrality?

Do you understand what neutrality is?

One quotation I have found regarding the meaning of Neutrality is as follows:

The state or policy of being neutral, especially nonparticipation in war.

I don't think this means not strongly expressing your views when something is clearly very wrong.

Incidentally, to those of you reading this thread don't bother contributing unless you have something worth saying unless you think the deaths and maiming of hundreds of civilians is a trivial matter. :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Seanies32 wrote: »
    I agree in a way, still, it seems the obliteration of the Israeli state is the only thing that will keep Hamas happy.

I'd want to obliterate some c*nt who kicked me off my land and made me live in conditions that you wouldn't see in a dog pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think we should try get rid of our own government first and then work on international relations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

And?

Does that make it viable or indeed right?
    absolutely not. Just the usual islaamic fascist nonse.

I don't think this means not strongly expressing your views when something is clearly very wrong.

Incidentally, to those of you reading this thread don't bother contributing unless you have something worth saying unless you think the deaths and maiming of hundreds of civilians is a trivial matter. :mad::mad::mad:

Your quote I'm afraid is way off. You can take part in war for example to defend yourself. Neutral means for example when two other people are fighting you stay out of it and don't take sides. You don't express views on it either as that's getting involved.
    Anyway what right would our government have to do this as there is no proof that it's the wish of the Irish people. It's certainly not my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Incidentally, kindly refrain from telling me wtf to do when you clearly have no right to. Please stfu. Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Ok well here:

http://www.google.ie/search?rlz=1C1GGLS_enIE291IE303&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=define:neutral

"having no personal preference"

"not supporting or favouring either side in a war"

"one who does not side with any party in a war or dispute"

By kicking out the Israeli ambassador, Ireland would no doubt be taking a side.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'd want to obliterate some c*nt who kicked me off my land and made me live in conditions that you wouldn't see in a dog pound.

Indeed. Personally, I look at N. Ireland. Imperfect as it is, there is some agreement on let bygones be bygones.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

As you say, Israel has a right to exist as does Gaza. Gaza does not however have the right to shoot rockets at israeli citizens and harbour terrorists, raise suicide bombers, etc. This latest conflict was provoked by Hamas to get a violent response, endanger it's own people and use outrage around the world to advance its own looney agenda. 9/11, 7/7, Bali and other outragous acts of Islaamic fanaticism have wakened a lot of people worldwide to the reality that Israels' enemy is also our enemy and will come our way soon enough. All violence is deplorable as is all war. However you can not have peace just by wishing for it. Israel must be allowed and supported to finish this mission asap. That means that we keep in touch with them at very least. This thread will go downhill very quick. Any bets for the first Northern Ireland comparison, reference to the Haulocaust, Jewish Nazis, et ? Let the games begin.

Latest conflict was provoked by Israeli settlements being illegally set up in the west bank.

The way I look at is, regardless of the rights or wrongs, the current situation is the way it is.

Until people accept that, there will be no peaceful settlement. Aims or aspirations will always conflict with the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Anyway what right would our government have to do this as there is no proof that it's the wish of the Irish people. It's certainly not my view.

0.00025% of our country's population protested about it haha

Latest conflict was provoked by Israeli settlements being illegally set up in the west bank.
    Yawns.

Have Austria condemned them? Sweden? The Swiss? Liechtenstein? Finland?
    I only ask as they too are neutral nations so I'd be impressed if they have either. So it's not just The USA. I'm pretty confident there are plenty of other nations that havent either.

Sweden's Prime Minister called for an immediate ceasefire last Sunday -
    http://www.menassat.com/?q=en/news-articles/5611-gaza-protests-increase-eu-countries

The Swiss have been very active since early last year in condemning the 'concentrating' and blockading of the Palestinians in the Gaza enclave.

http://www.menassat.com/?q=en/news-articles/5611-gaza-protests-increase-eu-countries

The Swiss have been very active since early last year in condemning the 'concentrating' and blockading of the Palestinians in the Gaza enclave.

Did Our ould Michael Martin not call for the same.

Or is it different when Sweden does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Darragh29 wrote: »

So why the "kill all the infidels " crap about the rest of us? I dont remember every cristian country getting together and forcing them from anywhere.

Your quote I'm afraid is way off. You can take part in war for example to defend yourself. Neutral means for example when two other people are fighting you stay out of it and don't take sides. You don't express views on it either as that's getting involved.

And might one ask just how many civilians have to die in Gaza before you show some sparky of humanity?????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yawns.

Wow did you go to debating class?

Fair enough. Though the Swedish Prime minister didn't condmn Israel he wants a cease-fire from both sides so the can try and re-open communications. I'd imagine most want that. I have no problem there. He didnt condemn the Israeli attacks though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

As you say, Israel has a right to exist as does Gaza. Gaza does not however have the right to shoot rockets at israeli citizens and harbour terrorists, raise suicide bombers, etc. This latest conflict was provoked by Hamas to get a violent response, endanger it's own people and use outrage around the world to advance its own looney agenda. 9/11, 7/7, Bali and other outragous acts of Islaamic fanaticism have wakened a lot of people worldwide to the reality that Israels' enemy is also our enemy and will come our way soon enough. All violence is deplorable as is all war. However you can not have peace just by wishing for it. Israel must be allowed and supported to finish this mission asap. That means that we keep in touch with them at very least. This thread will go downhill very quick. Any bets for the first Northern Ireland comparison, reference to the Haulocaust, Jewish Nazis, et ? Let the games begin.

I bet you think Sky News is the best news channel as well

Fair enough. Though the Swedish Prime minister didn't condmn Israel he wants a cease-fire from both sides so the can try and re-open communications. I'd imagine most want that. I have no problem there. He didnt condemn the Israeli attacks though.

Better add for the second time because it will be ignored, FF called for the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Kicking out the Ambassador might (Ho, ho, ho..) embarrass other EU countries into doing the same. It is better than doing absolutely nothing. Can't see what it has to do with Neutrality! The trouble with Ireland is it's a great country for talk but when push comes to shove the State buries its head in the sand.

I don't think it will embarrass any other EU country to do the same.

That is only one country
    And might one ask just how many civilians have to die in Gaza before you show some sparky of humanity?????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Overuse of :mad: :)

Wow did you go to debating class?
    I just dont think your reference to the west bank is any more valid than a reference to 1948. The entire conflict resolve around the existence of the state of Israel. The current offensive was started as result of constant rocket attacks from gaza. Hamas would say that it started when Israel attacked a smuggling tunnel and killed some terrorists smuggling rockets.

Did Our ould Michael Martin not call for the same.

Or is it different when Sweden does it?

Micheal Martin has made a couple of comments recently calling for a cessation of Israel's attacks on Gaza but obviously it meant little. What can we do to try and stop things - the following possiblities exist.

1. Declare war on Israel in favour of Hamas - clearly ridiculous.
    2. Let Micheal Martin continue his occasional comments - not working.
    3. Ban all trade with Israel until attacks stopped - a next step after the Ambassador is asked to leave.
    4. Kick out the Ambassador.
    5. Do nothing - option favoured by a number of posters here.

Mont wrote: »
    I bet you think Sky News is the best news channel as well
    And I bet you watch Al Jezerah or Nickleodeon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

But if Hamas didn't use the regular people of Palestine as human shields for their terrorist agenda, there wouldn't be this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

There shouldn't even be an Israeli embassy here in the first place.

Micheal Martin has made a couple of comments recently calling for a cessation of Israel's attacks on Gaza but obviously it meant little. What can we do to try and stop things - the following possiblities exist.

1. Declare war on Israel in favour of Hamas - clearly ridiculous.
    2. Let Micheal Martin continue his occasional comments - not working.
    3. Ban all trade with Israel until attacks stopped - a next step after the Ambassador is asked to leave.
    4. Kick out the Ambassador.
    5. Do nothing - option favoured by a number of posters here.

Yay the will of the majority succeeds. A rare win for democracy.

• Advertisement

obl wrote: »
    But if Hamas didn't use the regular people of Palestine as human shields for their terrorist agenda, there wouldn't be this problem.
    Exactly

Advertisement