Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Well done Bubbles life only gets better, I know it can be tough but believe me with every passing moment you get stronger and they is plenty of advice on this site on how best to manage when the going gets tough, so well done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 neverfindaname

Well done. Isn't it funny when you first gave up, and people would say 'it'll get easier with time' and time to you was an hour, never a week. Now time is not a problem anymore, and it genuinely does get much easier with time. Just remember though, don't let time fool you. I'm 2.5 years smoke free, and once I keep telling myself that firstly I'll always be a smoker, and secondly I can never have 'just one' because its been so long that I'm off them, I'd never go back etc etc. All us smokers are the same, we wouldn't of had to go through the pits of depression and all that if we were casual smokers. We're addicts, and don't let time fool you. Even though you're at the safe side of non smoking, never get too cocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

secondly I can never have 'just one'

But sure, why would you want one anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

day 8 on the champex had one cigerette yesterday and tried to smoke one today and nearly puked!!..feel great some really funny dreams and even though im waking at night im actually feeling fresher in the morning. have picked friday as my quit day and feeling really positve about it :D

day 8 on the champex had one cigerette yesterday and tried to smoke one today and nearly puked!!..feel great some really funny dreams and even though im waking at night im actually feeling fresher in the morning. have picked friday as my quit day and feeling really positve about it :D
    Rock on Bubbles, hope Friday works out for you.:)

• Advertisement

Bubbles,
    I should have followed on(sorry) and said if you dont stop gave yourself another stop date because like you I gave myself a stop date and did'ent make it so I tried again and stopped so dont get hung up on the stop date hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hellodolly

Hi all ... just checking in to say I quit smoking four years ago today with the help of Champix ... it was tough-going at the time but I honestly can hardly remember how hard now! Still the best thing Ive ever achieved! Good luck to all, I hope you are successful!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm closing in on four years this january
    I never thought I'd quit

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Friday night went well even with a few coronas down my neck i didnt touch a cigerette and was delighted with myself. Same thing saturday night no smokes...then sunday i had one:mad: dont know why and felt disgusted with myself..so back to the start again but hey its monday i can do this..:)

Friday night went well even with a few coronas down my neck i didnt touch a cigerette and was delighted with myself. Same thing saturday night no smokes...then sunday i had one:mad: dont know why and felt disgusted with myself..so back to the start again but hey its monday i can do this..:)

I keep telling people that when I quit I broke down about six weeks into the champix course and smoked a whole weekend. Don't freak out 'cos you had a smoke.
    I still dream I'm a smoker and wake up feeling like sh*t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Hey all,

Considering starting this tomorrow. It's been my intention for a few months now. My worry is the link with depression. I've suffered from depression in about 2 bad bouts over the last 3 years, the last one being less than a year ago. I was just wondering is it something I'm strongly putting myself at risk for another bout? Also, I say so because I'm doing well recently but don't want another bout considering I have to really be doing well mentally for college and work to perform well. Any insights?

Also very encouraging to see so many do well

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

3 weeks on champix had bad side effects at the start, now just have the crazy dreams (which are fun) have lower backpain and am very tired as wake up throughout the night.

Negatives aside, i have been smoking since i was 14 (now 31) and have tried everything to quit but failed. Both my parents have smoked all their lives and are now smoke free nearly a year because of champix, im only on day 4 without a smoke and finding it great, i dont get that much craving and when i do i just rememebr this is my last chance to quit , so failure is not an option. I would recommend the tablets to anyone.

A great app to download is "get rich or die smoking" like other apps it keeps track of your progress the difference with this one you have the option to add something to save for holiday/clothes etc. im 10% towards a new guitar.:D

Best of luck to anyone who is on the same journey;)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Good luck to all starting out! I am 8 months smoke free since yesterday with champix and it was ye best decision I ever made. I was smoking over 20 years and had also tried everything out there to stop with no success. Champix isn't an easy ride and needs to be treated with respect but it really worked for me! Now I'm looking forward hopefully to a longer and healthier life!!!!:)

Just finished 2 days on it and noticed subtle differences already. Head felt a bit cloudy after taking the first pill for about an hour but then was fine, I've noticed I still get cravings at routine times (before bed, in the morning, after work etc.) but I feel like i'm doing it more out of routine, I'm only really quenching the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach that you must have one but not really getting any enjoyment out of a cigarette or feel much better afterwards. Will keep ye posted.

PomBear wrote: »
    Hey all,

Considering starting this tomorrow. It's been my intention for a few months now. My worry is the link with depression. I've suffered from depression in about 2 bad bouts over the last 3 years, the last one being less than a year ago. I was just wondering is it something I'm strongly putting myself at risk for another bout? Also, I say so because I'm doing well recently but don't want another bout considering I have to really be doing well mentally for college and work to perform well. Any insights?

Also very encouraging to see so many do well

What did your doctor say? Provided they're aware you had depression and still prescribed it you'd expect it would be ok. Suppose it's like anything else if you feel you are being adversly effected refer to your doctor.
    Looking back I went a bit nuts on it. I had very quick temper and lashed out at people that didn't deserve it. Not sure if that was a side effect of the drug or the fact I was giving up smokes.
    I'm certainly a far calmer person now that I'm off them.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    What did your doctor say? Provided they're aware you had depression and still prescribed it you'd expect it would be ok. Suppose it's like anything else if you feel you are being adversly effected refer to your doctor.
    Looking back I went a bit nuts on it. I had very quick temper and lashed out at people that didn't deserve it. Not sure if that was a side effect of the drug or the fact I was giving up smokes.
    I'm certainly a far calmer person now that I'm off them.

Seem to be doing okay on them. Just on day 8. Still smoking a few a day but feel alot less of a need and when I do smoke, I'm wondering what enjoyment i'm actually getting out of it.

Just after taking my first 1mg tablet on day 8, took it about 2 hours ago, still feeling a bit crappy and sick. Starting to struggle with sleep too. Is this normal and does it get any easier throughout the treatment?

That was my recollection too. Just wasn't getting much enjoyment from smoking once I went on Champix (after about a week)

Plenty of people seem to have issues with weird dreams. I don't remember the tablets affecting my sleep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

6 months off.

I quit champix early on due to side effects but they helped me through the initial phase. Good luck everyone. Would suggest reading Alan carr's easyway alongside taking them, helps your mind catch up with the body in realising nicotine is unnecessary

On day 16 now, day 3 off the cigs. Kinda noticed i'm still getting pretty strong cravings, mostly at regular times (in the morning, after a meal, before bed etc.), just making myself stay off them for the sake of the not putting the treatment to waste but there is times I've thought to myself "I'd love a fag right now", do the craving lessen much? Is it gradual?

Luckily, i've stopped feeling too bad after taking the morning tablets, I've started taking it after I've had a filling breakfast where before i usually didn't eat breakfast, that takes away the sick feeling, still feel a bit groggy and tired though...

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

On day 16 now, day 3 off the cigs. Kinda noticed i'm still getting pretty strong cravings, mostly at regular times (in the morning, after a meal, before bed etc.), just making myself stay off them for the sake of the not putting the treatment to waste but there is times I've thought to myself "I'd love a fag right now", do the craving lessen much? Is it gradual?

Luckily, i've stopped feeling too bad after taking the morning tablets, I've started taking it after I've had a filling breakfast where before i usually didn't eat breakfast, that takes away the sick feeling, still feel a bit groggy and tired though...

Im on champix 6 weeks now and off the cigs nearly 3 weeks. i passed my quit date and still had cravings then one day i just woke up and didnt even want one (you will know when that day comes), i actually thought at one stage are these tablets ever gonna beat my want for a smoke, . ;). i was a heavy smoker for 18 years and i cant believe im 3 weeks of them. Best of luck your well on the way to freedom :)

• Advertisement

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Im on champix 6 weeks now and off the cigs nearly 3 weeks. i passed my quit date and still had cravings then one day i just woke up and didnt even want one (you will know when that day comes), i actually thought at one stage are these tablets ever gonna beat my want for a smoke, . ;). i was a heavy smoker for 18 years and i cant believe im 3 weeks of them. Best of luck your well on the way to freedom :)

Thanks for the well wishes :)

Does anyone know if it's common to end the treatment after 28 days? Would love to end it then or does it really help that much to continue for the 3 months?

Hi PomBear
    Well done, every passing moment will make you stronger in your battle with cigs but its very winnable.:) Thinking back when I stopped (4 years now:D)) I got one 28 day supply and cut them down by halving them so that the last 5 champix lasted me 10 days, cant say it will work for everyone, but it done the job for me and of course all the support I got from other people using this thread. Should pop in more often, great thread for anyone wanting to stop smoking or even thinking about stopping :cool:

Thanks for the well wishes :)

Does anyone know if it's common to end the treatment after 28 days? Would love to end it then or does it really help that much to continue for the 3 months?

Probably different for everyone. I was on it for three months and about six weeks in broke down and smoked for two days. Went back on the programme and finished the three month course. Off them now 3 years and 9 months. I'd say if I had quit after 28 days I'd still smoke.

On day 23 now, lasted until day 19 without the cigs, then had a particularly stressful situation at home so bought a pack of fags (i had been still having strong cravings for days before). Was tipping away on them and finished them last night. I do feel like i'm back at square one now but if anyone has any surefire way to get rid of cravings when they arise, i'd love to hear them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

So great to Terenc still mentoring on the thread.. I started back in January 2007.. Here the "miracle" pill is known as Chantix.. It sure did it for me.. lost urges and desires to light up after 3 days but kept smoking for the allotted 7 days.. It will be 7 years this coming Tuesday!! (but who's counting) (correction-it was 2009 so it's 5 years!)

11 months today and its thanks to champix and this thread!! Every time I felt a bit low I would come on here for a read and onece you realise hat your not the only one it helps alot.

DMCC71 wrote: »
    11 months today and its thanks to champix and this thread!! Every time I felt a bit low I would come on here for a read and onece you realise hat your not the only one it helps alot.

Hi DMCC71,
    I would do the exact same, cant believe am going into my fifth year off the feckers:), I do believe it would have been R.I.P IF IT HAD NOT BEEN FOR CHAMPIX AND THIS THREAD. I keep telling people about champix and how important it is to get support from other people when trying to stop smoking and this thread did it for me, I still look in but the longer your off cigs the thread goes very much into the back groung which in its own way tells a story of how successful it can work for you in your battle against smokes and gets other people involved and all helping each other.
    So to everybody out there thinking of giving up or planning to stop smoking look in on other threads, talk to each other support each other to gave yourself every chance of winning, its not easy but its very doable and if you dont succeed, try again and again and again.
    I want to thank everybody in this thread who helped me quite smoking just a fantastic group of people ROCK ON

1 year smoke free!!!!!!!! I couldn't be happier! A big thank you to everyone for their support on this thread! I even told my doctor to advise people who are starting champix to log on here to firstly educate themselves on the product and then to get support during the low days!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

It is with great sadness to inform the members of this threat about the passing of one of his earliest members, DONNIE aka Don Liddy.
    Don was fighting lung cancer for 5 months and sadly lost the battle.
    He will be missed and always remembered.
    He helped me to get smoke free and I am always grateful for his support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

connewitz wrote: »
    It is with great sadness to inform the members of this threat about the passing of one of his earliest members, DONNIE aka Don Liddy.
    Don was fighting lung cancer for 5 months and sadly lost the battle.
    He will be missed and always remembered.
    He helped me to get smoke free and I am always grateful for his support.

Sad to hear, may he rest in peace.
    I read the thread from the beginning over 2 years ago when I stopped smoking & found great encouragement in Donnie's & all the other posts.

Advertisement