Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Tip

Just dropping in, I'm now 4 years quit cigs all thanks to Champix after over 38 yrs smoking. Ye are all doing great. This forum and Champix were my miracle cure. All I can say is stick with it, it gets easier with time. I still cant believe that I did it, its wonderful to be free. I feel great my health has improved so much. No coughing, No stinking house, No hassle trying to sneak out at work. Its win win all the way, and I forgot to mention all the money i've saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Hi all, it is well over 3 months now since I smoked!!!!!!! It is just over a week that I stopped the tabs. I reduced to 1 tab per day a while back but kept taking them longer than the 12 weeks just to make sure I was comfortable in myself to go alone and I can report it's all good. I was a bit cranky for a couple of days but I think that might have been an extended hangover!!!! I am not able for the big sessions anymore!!!!
    The thought " a smoke would be nice " still pops up every now and then but now tg I can just laugh it off as just me being silly!!!

How are ye all doing??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Well done DMCC71,Hi Tip,just popped in, havent been here for a while, great to see the thread going strong, I still get the odd pang for a smoke but its fleeting and gone in a .00000 of a sec, I really owe a lot to this thread and to the people who posted an how they battled with
    cigs, some dident make it but this thread would just encourage you to try again, so well done again to all the people using this thread and making it a potent weapon in the fight against smoking. Rock On.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭FueledbyCoffee

Hi I am going into day four here on Champix. It's my second time trying these as the first time I got terrible nausea and I think I used this as my excuse to stop.

After a terrible chest infection and a lot of thinking for the last few months I'm giving it a go again. I don't drink alcohol very much but I do enjoy my cig as a way to relax.

Life is very stressful at the moment and I haven't found that I have cut down much but I did notice it was easier to delay having a smoke. I'm really hoping this time works.

Thanks for this thread as it's be an inspiration to read from when it first started and so many positive results and encouragement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

26 Days off them now and cant see myself ever smoking again. As someone said the cravings last a millisecond and are completely bearable. Been out drinking and even been on holidays and haven't caved in once.

On 1 tab a day now so that should see me into the 3 month mark.

Easy peezy !!

• Advertisement

Well done jenben I'm looking forward to being that assured that I'm off them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

Well done jenben I'm looking forward to being that assured that I'm off them :(

Of course never say never but genuinely have zero desire & cravings are unbelievably more bearable so If I do go back on them it would be out of sheer boredom. I feel i've conquered the 'big' nights out drinking (quite a lot actually) and a sun holiday... they were the moments where I enjoyed smoking most.. so the rest to me is easy !

BTW I suffered badly from nausea the first 2weeks, only way to stop it was to eat before or straight after the tablets. Gladly that has been my only real side effect.

Well done all!!!!!!!
    I will soon be 4 months free! There are still times that I think about them more but luckily even tho I am off the tabs, the sight of someone smoking makes me glad I DONT SMOKE ANYMORE!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

I still see people talking about nausea etc. If you go back in this thread you will see numerous threads from us "ole timers" reminding you that eating and drinking a lot of water combats a lot of the side effects. Read and and follow the Chantix/Champix instructions explicitly! It is a PRESCRIPTION medication.. Keep up the great work all of you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 janie123

i took champix for first week then stopped, anyone know if i can just restart the second week in the pack one week on?

• Advertisement

Im not sure if it would be a good idea to straight back on 1mg tabs, they might be a bit strong. Maybe if you ask your doc he/she could prescribe another starter pack but you could Get the 14 day pack which would be less expensive.
    Well with trying again!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Haven't posted here in a while, good to see you're still going strong DMCC71..
    How are you getting on Hacker?

I got through the holiday anyway :D , and was five months off them yesterday so very happy.. Don't really seem to notice not smoking on nights out anymore, if i do have a craving now which is very seldom i just kind of ignore it and just think its a stupid thought that comes into my mind and laugh it off..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 janie123

Thanks yes doc recommended tring to continue with the 1mg and if causing too much nausia to go down to the 500g, however the 1mg are more successful

Hi harpy!!! Good to see you back and still on the wagon!!!
    You must feel great that you got over the holiday, I know you were really worried!
    I think my actual 4 month milestone is tomorrow and I am in good head space at the moment. There was about a week after I came off the tabs that I was a bit scattered and cranky but I am well past that now TG.
    In hope hacker is doing ok but theres been no word for a while!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 neverfindaname

2 years smoke free :) Took champix too. I found them to be a good crutch, but that was about it. By day 14 I was still smoking and that's the last day, so I had to force myself to stop. I never got any 'feeling' to stop or anything like that. My dreams were certainly 'clearer' however research will show disturbed sleep irrespective of champix whilst giving up. I had good days, and bad, got no nausea. The bad were just about manageable, but I'm sure my family would tell you different :P All in all, I don't regret it, and now its a case of cravings which are very manageable, and making sure I don't tell myself its fine to have one quick one.....accept you can never smoke again, and it will help. I found Alan Carr's 'Easy way to stop smoking' sooooo helpful while taking champix... keep us posted, it'll be the best thing you ever do!!

I'm all over the place - a friend of mine is very very ill and is going to die soon and I have found that out in the last week and a half. I managed to go three days with no cigs but tbh I feel like an elastic band that was stretched as far as I could go.

I have had about 5 cigarettes a day since then (normally 30 a day I'm so anxious) and I have kept taking the tablets. I do know that I can do it and fully intend on having a quit day but I'm going to have to wait a little until things settle.

I found the cravings not as bad as going cold turkey, felt like crap the second and third days of no smoking but I know that I can ride that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

I've been taking champix for 15 days now and today is day 3 of no smoking, and am having "it cant be as easy as this moments". I don't have cravings and can do without ciggies. I do however have very sleepless nights with hot sweats and tingly feet and if I do sleep have very vivid dreams, and a constant niggly headache which I presume in time will go.

I haven't really been tested as haven't been out socially since I stopped that's going to be a big test.

Does it work as well as this or am I being set up? Can it really be as easy as this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Well done and all but it's only 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

@sillymoo

Be careful, it's different for different people. I wouldn't get complacent. I lapsed while on the course but am off them over three years now. I still consider myself a smoker.
    Best of luck tho!

I've been taking champix for 15 days now and today is day 3 of no smoking, and am having "it cant be as easy as this moments". I don't have cravings and can do without ciggies. I do however have very sleepless nights with hot sweats and tingly feet and if I do sleep have very vivid dreams, and a constant niggly headache which I presume in time will go.

I haven't really been tested as haven't been out socially since I stopped that's going to be a big test.

Does it work as well as this or am I being set up? Can it really be as easy as this?

Don't let that fool you. In that, yes, it might get a bit hardy, but its manageable, but because its manageable, you're like me, you're one of the lucky one's. Don't fall for the "sur if twas that easy last time, I can have a sneaky one now and do it all again"....it'll never be as easy second time round. You're blessed, keep going!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭sillymoo2007

Just thought id update my champix experience. week 5 on champix week 3 of no smoking, I cannot believe how things are going! I feel like I must be one in a million have no cravings sorted sleep thing out by not talking night one till eating in evening 5-7 then forget to take and am now on just morning tab. I am developing a not nice smell to smokers around me or smoke in general but can go out on social nights no bother, now I'm the hand bag minder :confused:

Just thought id update my champix experience. week 5 on champix week 3 of no smoking, I cannot believe how things are going! I feel like I must be one in a million have no cravings sorted sleep thing out by not talking night one till eating in evening 5-7 then forget to take and am now on just morning tab. I am developing a not nice smell to smokers around me or smoke in general but can go out on social nights no bother, now I'm the hand bag minder :confused:

Well done!! You're sound like how I got on too. Found it 'quite' easy, or more so was expecting it to be terrible and awful and actually found it manageable. However, don't let this fool you into a confident state. You will always be a smoker, just a non smoking one. You will never be able to just have one, the just have one is what got you where you were. Enjoy the stink off smokers, I find it reminds me of what it was like, pity the smokers now, and give yourself a big pat on your back!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Well done!! You're sound like how I got on too. Found it 'quite' easy, or more so was expecting it to be terrible and awful and actually found it manageable. However, don't let this fool you into a confident state. You will always be a smoker, just a non smoking one. You will never be able to just have one, the just have one is what got you where you were. Enjoy the stink off smokers, I find it reminds me of what it was like, pity the smokers now, and give yourself a big pat on your back!! :)

Couldn't agree more with this statement
    I'm off them a good while now and still consider myself a smoker

Hi all,
    I agree that you are always a smoker, it's just that you have decided not to!!!, and we all know that just 1 can put you back to square 1!!!
    I also have found easier than I expected it too, all smokers are looking for the miracle that will almost erase the want to smoke from your brain but unfortunately it doesn't exist!!! For me champix was the closest thing I think there is for those that can take it!!!!
    I will be 5 months some free next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Well done everybody and has we all know once a smoker always a smoker ( the thought is always close ) I still get the odd wouldent it be nice to have one and this is coming up to my fourth year off them and I then remember back WAKING UP AT NIGHT TO HAVE A SMOKE TO STOP ME COUGHING AND THE COUGHING WOKE ME UP AND EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE HOUSE BUT DONT BLAME THE SMOKES. I CAN WALK UP STAIRS, I CAN CYCLE , I CAN SWIM WITHOUT GETTING CRAMPS IAM 18000 EURO BETTER OFF THINK I SPENT IT ON THE CHILDREN AND AM A LIVE,
    This thread was the start of all above and the champix of course,but I would read this thread and post how I felt and try to support other people in their battle, I owe a lot to this thread and the people who supported me and that still comes through when I read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭susanweir

Hey guys,

Another old timer here..gave up with Champix two and a half years ago after a 30 year habit. Best thing I ever did. Used these boards to get me through the early stages but still look in every now and then to see if I know anyone..like tonight! My husband still smokes in the house and I still managed to do it!

Keep going - you wont regret it!
    (PS Hi Terenc and Donniel)xx

Hi all!!!

I am very happy to announce that TODAY I am 6 months smoke free!!!!!!
    I am so proud of myself and that feeling is enough to get me over the next 6 months!!!
    Good luck to all ye in the early days and just stick with it, as you can see it's so so worth it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Well done to everyone - it soo good to hear. I'm off them 2 years 2 months now and never felt better. Had absolutely great encouragement from this site. Keep it up - remember the craving is only temporary - it WILL GO AWAY ! Good luck to all. xxx

Hi all!!! Just passed the 7 month mark!!!! Cigarettes are now a thing of the past for me now. I have managed almost every situation possible over the last few months and came through with flying colours, so now my day to day habits DON'T include smoking.
    I log in here almost every day to see how people are doing and really enjoy some of the positive posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

day 4 on the champex this time i really want to give up..i have to say already the taste of cigerettes has changed, they are making me feel a bit sick....i am a 20+ a day smoker yesterday i only had 5...hope this works

Advertisement