Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DMCC71

Hi all how are ye doing!!!!!!

I am now in my 6th week, so that's 35 days done and 35 years to go, HAHA!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 hacker21

Well done DMCC71, thats an amazing achievement, your flying along.:D
    You must be starting to really feel the benefits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Catsup99

Hi All,

Just checking in, great to hear you're both doing well Harpy and Hacker. That smell of smokers you were talking about is unreal alright, it helps keep me clean at work, when I can smell someone coming in from a smoke without seeing them, it strengthens my resolve not to smoke. I'm now over 6 months clear and delighted with myself - I do still have the odd pang, nothing even remotely strong enough to change my mind and light up though - thankfully. So here's to the next smoke free 6 months! (and more obviously:-))

Hi Catsup99, betcha feel great being six months smoke free + so ya should! Believe me it is not just smokers that smell (I deal with the public a lot). Its that my sense of smell came back with a bang or so it seemed,:mad:, but I hope it is just a passing phase or I'll have to consider a new career! Been a bit tempted this weekend, laying low with de flu + feelin sorry for myself! Couple of times this weekend I thought a smoke would be nice but I think its more in my head than anything. I dont want to smoke and if someone handed me a lighted cigarette I would hand it back + say No ta, I dont smoke. Think its just the flu, this damn cold weather + me feelin sorry for myself, sniff, sniff!!

It is 6 weeks today since I last smoked and I feel great!
    I was away for the weekend and spent lots of time in the pub but I passed the test with flying colours, it did help that nobody else in the group smoked!
    Hope your feeling better now hacker!:)

• Advertisement

How are ye all doing out there????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Been on Champax for the last 6 weeks , havent smoked in 20 days .

Everyone asks if I'm feeling way better ? am I delighted to be off them ?
    and to be honest no.

I've never felt so unfit , bloated ,out of breath etc etc

When does this detox end :o

Sham

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Shammy wrote: »

and to be honest no.

Sham

Your over half way there chin up, your life is about to change for the better, your going to smell better, be richer, get fitter and hopefully live longer and stronger.

Giving up the fags can really fcuk with your body, don't want to alarm you but there could be more to come, you'll probably blame the champix but its the giving up cigarettes that's causing the side effects. Don't bother looking up the side effects of stopping smoking just google the benefits.

Have a look at you diet, the right start in the morning can set you up for the day, it'll probably stop the bloat.
    Not sure if you eat them but what works for me is a yoplait of your choice, sprinkle a few crushed nuts in it, a swig of orange juice and a bannana...that should give you energy and fix the bloat, porridge also works wonders. Took me a while to figure it out.

Your chest won't be right for a while, don't overdo it there going to take a while to heal just let your body do its thing, give it about 4 weeks after your finished the 12 weeks of champix and you'll be enjoying the new lungs.

By the sounds of you, your diet needs a little work and you'll be right, don't do what I did and replace the fags with chocolate eclairs and any other sugar rush I could get.
    Just a year off cigarettes now, the next 12mts are going to be about loosing my new belly and putting my lungs to good work.

Your going great, 20 days is a good stretch, it gets easier and easier, I wouldn't touch a cigarette now. Stick with the 2 tablets a day and you'll be over the moon in 7 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Shammy wrote: »

and to be honest no.

Sham

Hang in there Shammy. I'm off them three years but about 1/2 way through the course of Champix (which was about six weeks) I caved in and smoked like a trooper a whole weekend. At that stage I still considered myself a smoker.
    It really is worth it. TBH I still crave ciggarettes, had a dream last night I was back on them but financially and health wise it's just a no brainer.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

By the sounds of you, your diet needs a little work and you'll be right, don't do what I did and replace the fags with chocolate eclairs and any other sugar rush I could get.
    Just a year off cigarettes now, the next 12mts are going to be about loosing my new belly and putting my lungs to good work.

Your going great, 20 days is a good stretch, it gets easier and easier, I wouldn't touch a cigarette now. Stick with the 2 tablets a day and you'll be over the moon in 7 weeks time.

Correct , I went on a binge of aero mint bubbles and barbacue hoola hoops and put up a stone after the first 2 weeks , damaged tendons in my shoulder hasnt helped either as it has stopped me from training. Sugar free gum is my new habit :eek:

Congrats on staying off of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I better not mention the new limited edition Tayto & Chocolate bars in centra before they sell out or you could be putting on another stone.

8 weeks today'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

This was my 2nd try at it....
    So far so good of the fags 11weeks and I'm on my last week of champix. Reasons for failing the last time was that i went cold turkey.i missed a few days and nights and well everyone who knew i was off kept on recking my head.
    Before i started the program i had a game plane.
    i wasnt gonna tell anyone esp those who are close to me. i feel that if everyone is at me left right and centre it would reck my head.i decided that i would quit after day 8 after starting my program.
    couldn't believe it that it was effective from day one.first few things I noticed were the lack of desire for a cigarette. My mind started ticking realising that it was becoming a habit and sensation... Day after day I still smoked but less and less.once day 8 came I had no worries about getting through the next few weeks. My only fair was when I was working( which was fine) and cups of coffee which surprisingly fine.
    I have to admit I had one on a work night out after being more or less asked a bizillion times and it was like having your first ever which was terrible and left a horrid taste in my mouth.i couldn't even finish it and I'm usually a strong quick puffer.
    The only downside to the medication was and still is that I get very dehydrated at night so drink loads I water and have a pint full of it beside the bedside

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Also don't take with an empty stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Well Done DMCC71,

Im at 92 days :) .. Im doing better this time then when i gave up last year, this time last year i was smoking when i was out drinking every night by this point, so i think im showing ive learned from my mistakes.. Going on Holidays next week and that was where my giving up completely fell apart last year...

I was in work today though and a few times people came up to me and the smell of fags was really strong off them it was the most ive ever noticed, i had to take a step back like the smell was so overpowering...There's is no way i ever hid the fact i smoked from my mother haha

Hacker how are you getting on?

Hi harpy! Great to hear you are doing well! I know what you are saying about the smell off smokers, If I think that a cigarette would be nice I try to go somewhere people have been smoking and the smell soon puts that idea out of my head!
    I hope you enjoy your holiday smoke free!!!!!!! Good luck

10 weeks done!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Well done to everyone........... I'm two years off them this June ......... CAN'T BELIEVE IT. STICK WITH IT EVERYONE it's sooooo worth it. I know how hard it is at the beginning but just dig in and STICK WITH IT. Good luck everyone.

Hi DMCC71 - 10 Weeks!! Great stuff.
    Harpy - Are you still on hols?
    I know I havent been on in a while - I had to stop taking the Champix a week ago, they didn't agree with me at all. I am still off the smokes! It took me by surprise how tough it is without the tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

On Day 1 here - took my first tablet about an hour ago after breakfast and now I have a queezy/sicky feeling in my stomach. Is this normal?

• Advertisement

If you're having any unusual side effects you need to talk to your doctor.
    It effects people in different ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

jenben1982 wrote: »
    On Day 1 here - took my first tablet about an hour ago after breakfast and now I have a queezy/sicky feeling in my stomach. Is this normal?

Congrats on talking the first steps. I used to take the tablet immediately after eating & never had any issues. I think that's what's recommended. Don't get disheartened though.

Oh I wont, im dying to post in a couple of weeks time and I say im a non-smoker!! Been smoking 20 a day for around 18 years. Hate them with a passion now and dont enjoy any of them - really hope champix work for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

jenben1982 wrote: »
    Oh I wont, im dying to post in a couple of weeks time and I say im a non-smoker!! Been smoking 20 a day for around 18 years. Hate them with a passion now and dont enjoy any of them - really hope champix work for me :D

Just take it one day at a time. I'm off them now just over a year & I smoked for 20 years plus. It's worth it so stick in there. The tablets are going to cause a bit of discomfort at first but most medicines do. I personally think it's important to follow the instructions to the letter & also to take the full three months. Complacency can be a problem.

Hi hacker21, sorry to hear the tabs are not agreeing with you but well done for not giving in and smoking!!!!!!!!!!
    I am nearly 11 weeks smoke free and I am now really starting to feel the benefits!!!! Everything I do now is done with more focus because the thought " when can I have a smoke " is not there anymore and I have found that my stress levels are down because of this also!!!!
    Well done to all who have started recently!! You won't regret it!

I'm in day 5 now and still smoking the usual amount... Feel vvvv tired and nauseous and am waking at 3.30am the last 2 nights. Determined to keep going but am waiting for that feeling of not having the desire to light up- guess I'm being impatient !!!

Well done DMCC71, your nearly done with the tablets so. Look no harm done that the tablets didnt agree with me, they did their job and got me to stop smoking. I would have liked to stayed the full course but I was so unwell and tired I couldnt function. I came off them early but I would recommend anyone who can to stay the full 12 weeks. I stopped about 5 weeks early and found it soooo hard without the tablets!
    Jenben1982 - all the stuff you are describing is how I felt at the start, stick with it if you can at all, it does get easier. Dont stress too much about how much you are smoking, pick your day to quit and keep on going. if you are like me I didnt really smoke that much less at all and I found it took a hugh effort to stop. From reading other peoples posts on here, everyone has a different experience - some have no side effects at all, some are as sick as "small hospitals" (ME). I can only speak for myself - the tablets do work but the important thing is to look after yourself while on them, eat properly, drink lots of water and be aware of yourself and how you are feeling, if you dont feel right go back to your doctor and have a chat with them, ask someone close to keep a eye on ya too, just in case. Best of luck.

Well im day 5 off the fags, cant believe how easy im finding it. Cravings are lasting 2 or 3 mins and are bearable. Taste has come back and food tastes amazing now!

Side effects of champix have almost disappeared, sleeping fine and nausea is gone. Happy out!!

Hi all!, how are ye getting on!
    I am now gone past the 3 MONTH milestone and tg I feel great! I now also don't have the fear you have when you are a smoker, like how will I enjoy a drink, how will I handle stress, how will I relax. These are no longer an issue.
    Keep it going all!!!

• Advertisement

^ this was one of the big advantages for me.

- stressing out about how I was going to get through a 2 hour train journey without a cigarette!
    - Client meetings could only last an hour or my brain would start to melt

Advertisement