Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my first visit by Jehovah's Witnesses! woohoo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Got a visit from them yesterday and made the mistake of being nice to them. Spent about 10min with them when they talked to me like I was an idiot and kept leading me into topics before whipping out a little pamphlet or book to then answer these topics. They kept pushing me a for a date to come back but I wouldn't agree to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Dave! wrote: »
    Told them from the outset that I'm an atheist and I believe in evolution, but still they persisted! :eek: Determined JW's!
    Print off the creationist thread and give it to them.

Print off the creationist thread and give it to them.

And need about 5000 pages! I'd love to read all of that thread, but I imagine it would take weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

And need about 5000 pages! I'd love to read all of that thread, but I imagine it would take weeks!

I've tried and would advise against it. That way lies madness. :D

As for the literature, my mate gets a lot of it dropped into his place of work, big effort to convert him for some reason. Probably because of his vestigal horns I'd imagine.

The JW stuff is far too Readers' Digesty in style, too many photos of linen-shirted Scandinavian types staring wistfully skywards in sunlit glades and on forlorn, rocky shores. :rolleyes:

The Baptists on the other hand have comics! No really. Hours of defacing fun to be had. ;)

Take a look... http://www.chick.com/default.asp...careful now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's actually pretty similar the whole way through. The latest evolution in J C's argument style has been green. Otherwise the whole copy-paste-other-peoples'-so-called-arguments-and-add-an-insane-stream-of-punctuation-smilies-and-block-capitals style has been par for the course.

The arguments are all the same. Different people are making them, but it's always J C's response.

• Advertisement

I've heard so much about this infamous JC. I must read a few of his posts to see why he's talked about so much. He's the creationist in the whole argument I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Yeah but you let the JW's do that. Tell them there's a really good debate online about evolution and they should read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

LZ5by5 wrote: »

The next Saturday one the women returns but instead of her friend she brought with her a young attractive lady around my age. They wanted to talk about the details of when I want to convert.:pac: I told them that after much thought I was happy as I was. That young girl was really trying her hardest to change my mind, telling me I could come to the next meeting with her.:eek:
    So how was the meeting??? :D

heheh - Reminds of the episode of 'Extras' where Ricky Gervais thinks he's been asked on a date by a girl but in fact it turns out to be a Catholic Prayer group.

Youtubed here for your enjoyment. Watch him squirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

The next Saturday one the women returns but instead of her friend she brought with her a young attractive lady around my age.

I commented on a JW girl that was in a photo with my cousin before and he said they are all, for the majority, stuck up. He said if you are good looking and a JW you are a big fish in a small pond. Most JW girls who are good looking end up getting a load of attention from non-JW guys and leave the religion to date them. The ones that stay in it are either a) fugly or b) good looking but stuck up.

You have to imagine though, I mean most girls compare themselves to everyone else, JW girls only have to worry about other JW's as they aren't really allowed to date outside the religion. So if you are moderately good looking and a JW, you are like the Jessica Alba of that religion, it's going to lead to a disproportionate opinion of your own self image.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I commented on a JW girl that was in a photo with my cousin before and he said they are all, for the majority, stuck up. He said if you are good looking and a JW you are a big fish in a small pond. Most JW girls who are good looking end up getting a load of attention from non-JW guys and leave the religion to date them. The ones that stay in it are either a) fugly or b) good looking but stuck up.

You have to imagine though, I mean most girls compare themselves to everyone else, JW girls only have to worry about other JW's as they aren't really allowed to date outside the religion. So if you are moderately good looking and a JW, you are like the Jessica Alba of that religion, it's going to lead to a disproportionate opinion of your own self image.

Elaborate on stuck up please?:p:pac: Are they stuck up in the sense that they look down on, or have no time for, anyone outside of their religion?

Elaborate on stuck up please?:p:pac: Are they stuck up in the sense that they look down on, or have no time for, anyone outside of their religion?

well yeah, they are told to have nothing to do with guys outside of the religion, although whether they use flirting to seal the deal and get you converted I don't know :p

well yeah, they are told to have nothing to do with guys outside of the religion, although whether they use flirting to seal the deal and get you converted I don't know :p
    Hehe.:D In truth though, I wouldn't have called flirting. It was quite calculated and I wouldn't have been surprised had I gone to it to find a bunch of lads there as her guests.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Eglinton wrote: »
    heheh - Reminds of the episode of 'Extras' where Ricky Gervais thinks he's been asked on a date by a girl but in fact it turns out to be a Catholic Prayer group.

Ugh, Ricky Gervais. Has anyone else noticed that most of his shows tend to mostly revolve around people standing around looking uncomfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

I've never had a visit from a jehovah or been approached by one. (*Do they really exist?*) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Funny, looks like the JWs are using sex to sell religion! Ask them about Noahs Arc, they think it's a true story because it was in the bible. And Noah was also 600 years old when he built the arc*

*seriously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

dioltas wrote: »
    I've never had a visit from a jehovah or been approached by one. (*Do they really exist?*) :D

They live, and love.

http://www.jwmatch.com/s/a/13906?gclid=CJXzqbKw5pgCFQsJ3wodRUEsdQ

EDIT: If littlejenn came knocking I'd sign up straight away.

Sorry for the bump but a new batch of Jehovah Witness's were doing the rounds in my neighbourhood this morning. Two came into my garden just as I was leaving my house to go to the shop. They asked me for my time to discuss a pressing issue in today's society. They go on to show me the title of the new Alive magazine. The pressing issue? Prescription drug abuse. Now I'm not saying people don't have an awful time trying to deal with prescription drug addiction but a pressing issue? I think weaning people off the smack, cocaine and alcohol would be a priority myself when it comes to drug addiction.:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think weaning people off the smack, cocaine and alcohol would be a priority myself when it comes to drug addiction.:pac:
    Not to mention the 'opium' of the people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Dades wrote: »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Please read marx :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sorry for the bump but a new batch of Jehovah Witness's were doing the rounds in my neighbourhood this morning. Two came into my garden just as I was leaving my house to go to the shop. They asked me for my time to discuss a pressing issue in today's society. They go on to show me the title of the new Alive magazine. The pressing issue? Prescription drug abuse. Now I'm not saying people don't have an awful time trying to deal with prescription drug addiction but a pressing issue? I think weaning people off the smack, cocaine and alcohol would be a priority myself when it comes to drug addiction.:pac:

Wasn't Michael Jackson a JW? Didn't he die from prescription drug abuse?
    Don't some consider him greater than god?

Join the dots people!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A family member converted to JW a number of years ago.

We're not allowed buy the kids birthday or Christmas presents.

They are one of the wackiest and dangerous Christian sects, and you wouldn't believe how big they are silently getting here in Ireland.

One of their beliefs is that only 144,000 people will eventually make it into heaven. Them's bad odds, considering that there are a couple of million JW'ers world-wide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 epik

aw...

They visited me twice there recently. The second time I had a longer frank and honest discussion about my beliefs/opinions... and since then nothing!

Guess some souls are more prone to Salvation, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you've heard Julia Sweeney's Letting Go Of God, she says that it was a JW visit that got her to question her "standard" beliefs. and the rot set in ... :p

edit: just checked again - it was actually Mormon missionaries who spun her a story about Lehi, gold plates, and Palmyra NY, which was a bit out there.
    Well, at this point I wanted to give these two boys advice about their pitch. I wanted to say "OK, don't start with this story". I mean, even the Scientologists know to start with the personality test, before they start telling people all about Xenu, the evil Intergalactic Overlord.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Otaku Girl

Finally :D

Had a 5-10 min chat about god, the bible, and creation, with a nice English lady and a sexy younger lady! :eek:

They're coming back next week to give me some creationism book.

I hope this doesn't mean they're gonna pester me for the rest of my life :(

Solution= Answer the door bollock naked with exception of an ill fitting Tarzan thong.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »

Opiate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

what EVA!

Otaku Girl wrote: »
    Solution= Answer the door bollock naked with exception of an ill fitting Tarzan thong.:pac:

I get a fair few of them around my way. My cousin being a JW though I'm usually prepared for them.

Seriously, this is the best way to mess with their heads. Usually a bunch of them will drive into the area, get out and get assigned different streets so that they aren't all calling on the same doors. So when they call on your door, say something like "em... your friend Dave/Peter/John just called here, we said we weren't interested"

They'll look puzzled and turn around and apologize for calling again. You can then go to the window and watch the confusion set in, because they won't know if they are to go forward as those doors might of also of been done, and they can't go back because those doors where done by themselves. They will now have to search around and ask the other JW's where Dave/Peter/John is to see which doors he's knocked on and which ones haven't been done yet.

Seriously try it. They will probably leave your door then stand at the end of your driveway turning in circles trying to compute what just happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I hope they knock so i can try that!
    Actually, I live in an apartment now, so it won't be the same. They did "knock" in a month or 2 ago. They used the intercom and rang every apartment and asked if they would speak to them. It's a big complex, about 200 apartments, it must get boring getting 200 people telling you to piss off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I wonder if that works with Mormons...
    Religion is religion right?

Advertisement