Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my first visit by Jehovah's Witnesses! woohoo

Options
  • 07-01-2009 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Finally :D

Had a 5-10 min chat about god, the bible, and creation, with a nice English lady and a sexy younger lady! :eek:

They're coming back next week to give me some creationism book.

I hope this doesn't mean they're gonna pester me for the rest of my life :(

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dave! wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't mean they're gonna pester me for the rest of my life
    Oh yes, it does.

Have a copy of The God Delusion ready for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What's the difference between a JW and a Skoda? You can shut the door on a JW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Had a 5-10 min chat about god, the bible, and creation, with a nice English lady and a sexy younger lady! :eek:

Probably depends on how sexy the younger lady was.:D
    I'm sure you will rise to the occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

i have the opposite problem, i met them on the street and they sounded interesting, i gave them my phone number for them to contact me and never heard from them again, i must have frightened them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

They used to go around door to door, but I don't see them any more. I see Mormons occasionally but not Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Asiaprod wrote: »
    I'm sure you will rise to the occasion.

OhhMatron.gif
    Ohhh Matron !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Pictures or it didn't happen :D

Here's some questions you could ask them next time:

1. As a JW, would I be allowed to watch movies like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings? What TV shows and movies do yous watch which are acceptable? (I guarantee they will try to side step this question)
    2. My friend told me about your Daniel book, can you give me a copy and explain it to me? (my cousin has informed me that pretty much no JW fully understands that book or its logic)
    3. Also, your Revelation book, can I have a look at it, and have the illustrations explained? (seriously... creepiest piece of religious literature I've even flicked through)
    4. Why did God make the Dinosaurs

Also, like I said previously, they are told to not even entertain Athiests or people who accept evolution, so if they start to pester you too much, just let them know you're an Atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Jakkass wrote: »
    They used to go around door to door, but I don't see them any more. I see Mormons occasionally but not Jehovah's Witnesses.

There are still a good few of them floating around these parts (Kerry). We normally get a visit once every couple of months from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭DenMan

i have the opposite problem, i met them on the street and they sounded interesting, i gave them my phone number for them to contact me and never heard from them again, i must have frightened them.

Why would you give them your phone number? Give some random number in the jungles of Brazil or just make a number up in your head. NASA orbital observatory/space station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Pictures or it didn't happen :D

Here's some questions you could ask them next time:

1. As a JW, would I be allowed to watch movies like Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings? What TV shows and movies do yous watch which are acceptable? (I guarantee they will try to side step this question)
    2. My friend told me about your Daniel book, can you give me a copy and explain it to me? (my cousin has informed me that pretty much no JW fully understands that book or its logic)
    3. Also, your Revelation book, can I have a look at it, and have the illustrations explained? (seriously... creepiest piece of religious literature I've even flicked through)

Also, like I said previously, they are told to not even entertain Athiests or people who accept evolution, so if they start to pester you too much, just let them know you're an Atheist.

Told them from the outset that I'm an atheist and I believe in evolution, but still they persisted! :eek: Determined JW's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

Bring them in and spike their cuppas....leads to hilarious results, trust me :)

are all jw english?

The local ones here are Irish, with a few Dutch thrown in for good measure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Yep, you're screwed.

I bet you're hoping you can say that to her, eh?

oeb wrote: »
    The local ones here are Irish, with a few Dutch thrown in for good measure
    Nope, I had a couple of very lost-looking Koreans turn up at my front door in 2007 sometime. Then there was a brunette who showed up early last year, but I pretended I was out, so she doorstepped my neighbor for around ninety minutes. I think he said that he thought she was Greek, but wasn't sure.

robindch wrote: »
    Nope, I had a couple of very lost-looking Koreans turn up at my front door in 2007 sometime. Then there was a brunette who showed up early last year, but I pretended I was out, so she doorstepped my neighbor for around ninety minutes. I think he said that he thought she was Greek, but wasn't sure.

Haa haa, I mean local as in Killarney local.

oeb wrote: »
    I mean local as in Killarney local.
    Sounds like the Americans that came to our door back in the 1970's might have saved a few souls from the clutches of the friars then.

Even in the depths of winter, they'd show up in our house a few miles outside of Killarney, near a boggy patch called Tiernaboul, chattering with the cold, and saying that no way they'd have a glass of mulled wine. Lost me on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I've been visited by them three times. I've had a mix of French, Spanish and Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

P

So Galvasean would have a forum to moderate.
    The more time he spends in there the less time he spends trying to disprove the existence of God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

There's a bunch of them hanging around Arklow at the moment trying to convert all and sundry.

They are American and they like to pounce on smokers when they slip out of the pub for a quick fag at nightime in order to offer them some enlightenment. I would imagine that not even Nicotine patches would be as effective in helping a smoker quit as the threat of having to listen to a feckin JW spouting their brand of crap at you as you try to gasp down you ciggy on a freezing winters night is.

They also like to set themselves up during the daytime with a microphone and amplifier preaching about the book of revelations to mostly amused or disinterested passers by. I saw one of them at it earlier in the week. When no actual pedestrians around around to listen to him, he seems to try preaching to passing road traffic instead.

The whole setup was made all the more hilarious by the fact that this idiot had set his pitch up beside a large banner promoting donations for the Irish Blood Transfusion Service board :rolleyes:

I was going to make a video for you amusement but sadly didn't - maybe next time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LOL, brilliant!:D This reminds me of first interaction with the JW's. Two very pleasant middle aged women knocked on my door and gave me a pamphlet as well as talking to me about their religion. Being the nice young lad that I am (:p) I couldn't slam the door in their faces so I humoured them and feigned interest in converting, thinking that would be the last of them I see any way.

The next Saturday one the women returns but instead of her friend she brought with her a young attractive lady around my age. They wanted to talk about the details of when I want to convert.:pac: I told them that after much thought I was happy as I was. That young girl was really trying her hardest to change my mind, telling me I could come to the next meeting with her.:eek:

• Advertisement

So how was the meeting??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I was down at the parents over Chrimbo, they were gone off for the day when I heard a knock at the door and opened it to find this heavenly (no pun intended) thing who wanted to know if she could come in and discuss any bible verses with me. Unfortunately I was dying and running a high fever so I shooed her away. I'm only now after seeing this Deuteronomy thing..

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

She was wearing jeans dammit. I could have been her salvation :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

So how was the meeting??? :D

Get out of it! What do you take me for, so tool who'd be swayed by tail?:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Get out of it! What do you take me for, so tool who'd be swayed by tail?:p:pac:

Ná nocht d'fhiacla go bhféadfair an greim do bhreith !

(Don't show your teeth til you can bite ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

brilliant thread, we just get old folks and married folks with kids (esp. weird) doing the rounds in our area...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Actually, all you have to tell them is that you'd rather not be contacted in future by any JWs and you're more or less struck off the system for years, you might get the odd call once every 3 or 4 years to see if you've moved house or had a change of mind, but that's about it.

You only have to ask. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Just talk briefly about Darwin, evolution, how we all look like monkeys in a certain light. THey will run away holding their heads in their hands after thirty seconds.

House wrote: »
    Actually, all you have to tell them is that you'd rather not be contacted in future by any JWs and you're more or less struck off the system for years, you might get the odd call once every 3 or 4 years to see if you've moved house or had a change of mind, but that's about it.

You only have to ask. :)

Hey another new guy! And a House fan, no less! :D Welcome!

I shall do that if they persist, danke schön

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

I feel mildly miffed at the standard of JWs I'm getting. No hot lunatic girls for me, it's all standard-issue Yanks and a small cadre of British around these parts.

Though lately the Baptists have been muscling in on their turf, stalking the streets in their pastel v-necks and check shirts, chinos stuffed with pocket-sized god-comics.

I'm relishing the prospect of a gang-war - JWs doing drive-by evangelising on their push-bikes, war-feathers stuck in their safety helmets, with the Baptists firing off volleys of buns from their Sabbath bake-a-thon.

(Well that's today's quota of hyphens used up anyhow.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I feel mildly miffed at the standard of JWs I'm getting. No hot lunatic girls for me, it's all standard-issue Yanks and a small cadre of British around these parts.

Though lately the Baptists have been muscling in on their turf, stalking the streets in their pastel v-necks and check shirts, chinos stuffed with pocket-sized god-comics.

I'm relishing the prospect of a gang-war - JWs doing drive-by evangelising on their push-bikes, war-feathers stuck in their safety helmets, with the Baptists firing off volleys of buns from their Sabbath bake-a-thon.

(Well that's today's quota of hyphens used up anyhow.)
    Cool, that's very curious. Where do you live? (not asking for an exact address, just district!)

Advertisement