Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Uniform

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

The jacket being one size too large will become a common sight amongst members due to them being measured with the vest on underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't worry, they'll grow into it! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Whats the new patrol jacket like, the Mets one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gdamedic

donvito99 wrote: »
    Whats the new patrol jacket like, the Mets one?

Ya looks fairly similar, saw students in the college wearing the new uniform the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

gdamedic wrote: »
    Ya looks fairly similar, saw students in the college wearing the new uniform the other day.

Yikes, a waste of money if ya ask me. Perfectly good and more practical the current ones are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Faheywitane

donvito99 wrote: »
    Yikes, a waste of money if ya ask me. Perfectly good and more practical the current ones are.

The new patrol jacket looks terrible, should have stuck with the
    old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

The new patrol jacket looks terrible, should have stuck with the
    old one.

And then a lot of members would have said the older issue (before bomber jackets) were better. Its down to what your used to really. My gripe is why did we need to change!!! Twice in three years!!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Faheywitane

And then a lot of members would have said the older issue (before bomber jackets) were better. Its down to what your used to really. My gripe is why did we need to change!!! Twice in three years!!!! :mad:

Twas quite mad alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

Rumor I heard is that we will have to hand back our old bomber jackets when we get issued with the new longer coat. I hope this isn't true because I want to hold onto it. Anyone else hear this?

Rumor I heard is that we will have to hand back our old bomber jackets when we get issued with the new longer coat. I hope this isn't true because I want to hold onto it. Anyone else hear this?

They said that last time too, sure you forgot it, lost it got a biological hazard on it etc etc;). You'll learn!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gdamedic

Although i find the current bomber jacket is waterproof (as long as its not worn in the rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

i tried on the new unifrom a while back getting fitted and i really dont understand where they got the idea from. the present uniform was the first step in the right direction for a properly operational uniform. The present jacket is half decent if only it was waterproof we'd be happy but it is at least wearable of the times and practical with plenty of freedom of movement and pockets for storage. and the issue of a utility belt was also a welcome addition when it came in but also has to be updated to a vest or cover for stab vest like the zip up patrol vest the met/manchester police use far more prectical comfortable and leads to alot lesss back complaints. as for teh res of the uniform we should have hard wearing trousers like the frie brigade or paramedics with a combat pocket makes far more sense in the long run and a baseball cap is also more practical. for all those whoe like the current cap it should be kep for ceremonial/official duties court interviews etc. the tie has to go its not prectiacl for running after guys, sitting in a car when the stab vest pushes it into your throat or grappling with lads after you've caught them but again it should be kept for court official ceremonial duties and when the member is employed as m.i.c s.o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 junior80

Overall we just have to accept that An Garda Síochána is always looking to other forces for innovation rather than canvassing members for what they actually need with regard to uniform/equipment and for that reason alone we will always be a couple of years behind and ill equipped

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

0002472510dr.jpg

Do many members have baseball caps now?

0002472510dr.jpg

Do many members have baseball caps now?

Thats the Public Order Unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 junior80

Howya, no not many members, the ones in the picture are public order unit personnel by the looks of it, they have them and as far as i know armed members can get them to make them more identifiable in an armed incident along with the navy raid jackets

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

Any more news of a date of issue or is it still on for July (maybe November??)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Oh, there'll be [EMAIL="f@$#ing"]f@$#ing[/EMAIL] issues alright.

Why can I still not see this happening?

At least I'll get a properly measured pair of trousers this time around..

And a hat.

0002472510dr.jpg

Why are they all smiling? It looks like they're giving someone the bumps for their birthday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Well if thats the shell to sea bunch of muppets I'd be laughing at the clowns too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jack O'Neill

RSU Jacket & Cap
    (&MP7)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

That's what all Gardai should look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

RSU Jacket & Cap
    (&MP7)

No shoulder numbers for RSU?
    Holsten wrote: »
    That's what all Gardai should look like.

Can't say I like it, the checkered pattern looks like an afterthought borrowed from the UK. The Current uniform, perhaps with stab vests that match the colour of the trousers/cap (and that fit the members unlike some poor fellas who look like they cant breathe with them) is much nicer.

If you're trying to debate arming the Gardaí, it's been done to death tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Checkered pattern does look rubbish, it doesn't look very intimidating, something I would imagine is a plus when the situation merits an armed presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

kowloon wrote: »
    Checkered pattern does look rubbish, it doesn't look very intimidating, something I would imagine is a plus when the situation merits an armed presence.

Is the H&K MP7 not intimidating enough.

kowloon wrote: »

Were not supposed to be an intimidating force. We are an approachable service

We are an approachable service

"Yeah, approach a bit, please. My aim isn't that good."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd imagine by the time armed Gardai are on the scene the time for being cuddly and approachable is well and truly gone.
    If I remember correctly, one of the cited praises for the Franchi was that it was an intimidating weapon; it was big and mean looking.

• Advertisement

A huggable, lovable service.

Hate to be digging up an old topic but any word on general issue?

Advertisement