Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Uniform

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

got measured for the new uniform 2day. 3/4 length patrol jacket looks different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

so the hat doesnt look like its goin to be changed any time soon, and with some people here saying they would like to see baseball caps for practical reasons i always thought they looked cheap but the clip in this report shows one or two gardai with them and they look quite good

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0209/mullingar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

shakin wrote: »
    so the hat doesnt look like its goin to be changed any time soon, and with some people here saying they would like to see baseball caps for practical reasons i always thought they looked cheap but the clip in this report shows one or two gardai with them and they look quite good

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0209/mullingar.html
    Can't view it for some reason but i'm guessing that's the Public Order Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

deadwood wrote: »
    Can't view it for some reason but i'm guessing that's the Public Order Unit.

73225.jpg

73226.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

Part 2? I don't think I'm that old.
    What's part 2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

What's part 2?

Deadwood will confirm it, but prior to 1992, Garda training was in 2 parts. Part 1 was in Templemore, learning to march, play the bodhran and say "vehicle". Six weeks later you begun part 2, where the Sergeant took you aside in your new station, showed you your bed in the attic, and demonstrated the correct way to carry a 9v Lamp, and wear the tunic 24 hours a day, with the belt and buttons open, and the whistle chain holding it all together....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

What's part 2?

Part one consisted of 22 weeks in Templemore, on completion of training you were allocated to a station.

Part two training took place over a four week period in Templemore and was generally revision of legal studies with an exam at the end.

You attended part two training between 12 and 24 months after completion of part one.

I was pretty close..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I'm not a member. I don't have relations who are/were but if ye get a chance and meet an older guy ask about land comission uniforms....

Don't forget the Bulls Wool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

I'm surprised that the powers that be haven't decided on a money saving exercise to reintroduce the shirts with the detachable collars. Certainly would save on material. Imagine, one short and one long sleeve shirt and 20 collars:rolleyes::P

daithip wrote: »
    I'm surprised that the powers that be haven't decided on a money saving exercise to reintroduce the shirts with the detachable collars. Certainly would save on material. Imagine, one short and one long sleeve shirt and 20 collars:rolleyes::P
    NO! It's hard enough to get some lads to wash the shirts they have, never mind using just one - eugh!

I remember one particularly fragrant colleague giving out about a new issue of shirts - "you'd hardly get a week out of these ones".

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Mrs Daithip would be an awful lot happier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Consider yerselves lucky ye have blue shirts; white shirts are a nightmare :eek:

metman wrote: »
    Consider yerselves lucky ye have blue shirts; white shirts are a nightmare :eek:
    I wonder how do supers feel about being back in blue shirts?:rolleyes:

I wonder how do supers feel about being back in blue shirts?:rolleyes:

A few held out for a while though!

Now, if only they'd show the same solidarity in these "challenging times". I'm sure the rank'n'file would squeeze them into a bus or two if they want to march?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

deadwood wrote: »
    I remember one particularly fragrant colleague giving out about a new issue of shirts - "you'd hardly get a week out of these ones".

Never a truer word said

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

The riot helmets could come in handy on wednesday! :D

ScubaDave wrote: »
    The riot helmets could come in handy on wednesday! :D
    True. There'll be a bit of a push getting into coppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Bump!

While in Templemore recently, seen the new uniforms being worn by the phase 1s. Whilst the fleeces didnt look TOO bad, the patrol jacket looks guck! Its looks like its been made about 3 sizes too big! Horrible!

The issue of it is coming soon! Eek!

ScubaDave will be making space in his locker for his current issue as its going nowhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭super_shellers

I think the longer length jackets look awful, the ones we have at the minute are a lot nicer IMO. Actually, will we have to wear the new issue jackets or can we stick to wearing the other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I think the longer length jackets look awful, the ones we have at the minute are a lot nicer IMO. Actually, will we have to wear the new issue jackets or can we stick to wearing the other ones?

Issued uniform is issued uniform, past or present. I'll be wearing the new fleese but old jacket me thinks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

ScubaDave wrote: »
    riot helmets

Are all guards issued with riot helmets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Is now really the best time for gardaí to get new uniforms?? Is that not just more money being spent on useless un-needed thing by the government?? What about all the people on the dole... I'm sure they'd love some new outfits too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

donvito99 wrote: »

Yes issued from T/more and Public Order members generally get new ones.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Is now really the best time for gardaí to get new uniforms?? Is that not just more money being spent on useless un-needed thing by the government?? What about all the people on the dole... I'm sure they'd love some new outfits too

And would you believe I havint met one member who wants to change!!! Although they tell us it would cost just as much to reissue the old one. (three years is a long time to have a jacket you know)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

donvito99 wrote: »

yes we all get the riot helmets

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Wouldn't the riot helmets be much more suitable than the cap for giving to a member of the public when they need to take a dump? Just sayin, like....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

esel wrote: »
    Wouldn't the riot helmets be much more suitable than the cap for giving to a member of the public when they need to take a dump? Just sayin, like....

the helmets would certainly hold more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭jt123456

i was hoping for a couple of new stab vest covers when the new uniform arrives, seeing as "Garda" wears out pretty quickly on them with everyday use, but i cant remember them measuring us for them. Anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

jt123456 wrote: »
    i was hoping for a couple of new stab vest covers when the new uniform arrives, seeing as "Garda" wears out pretty quickly on them with everyday use, but i cant remember them measuring us for them. Anyone know anything about this?

All they need to do is find out the size of your current vest, they don't need to measure you for a new cover.

Advertisement