Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Uniform

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Bring back the original pants i say especially the winter pants.... the new "equivalent" ones are rubbish

The 'Bull Wool' pants were brilliant.

Do the new pants have a Baton pocket.. i never checked when i was trying on the new uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Evening Herald; August 12th 2008

The garda wardrobe is to be extended at a cost more than €12m, as the force prepares for a major makeover.
    Gardai are to be provided with a new range of safety gear, including state-of-the-art body armour and stab vests as they up their efforts to stamp out violent crime.
    [Apparently not, the only thing I can think of that falls under this category are the slash proof gloves]

A massive contract has been awarded to a Monaghan company who will now be charged with dressing the entire force for the next three years.
    Included in the new attire will be a fashionable--:D-- new uniform, ballistic equipment and public order equipment.
    [Needs IMO to be up to PSNI standard]

The contact, which was advertised by the Government Supplyies Agency, is worth €12.69m to James Boylan Safety Ltd.
    The company, which operates from five office and warehouse bases around the country, will supply clothing until the end of 2011.
    The firm already hold the contracts for other high profile customers including the Defence Forces.
    Listed among the items are a “new look” uniform, including tunics, polo-shirts, T-shirts, rainsuits, shirts and trousers.
    A new range of helmets and anti-stab vests--[There only a year old!]

The order also includes public order coveralls and riot shields.
    Announcing the move, Junior Finance Minister Dr Martin Mansergh said that it was the “largest ever uniform contract”.
    The last selection of uniforms cost around €5m and seven years ago it was just over €1m.
    The exact design of the new uniform will not be revealed until later this year, but it is expected to be visible on the streets by next summer.

Funny to see that alot of things will be withdrawn. And the Public Order kit, will each Garda be issued with overalls or still just the helmet in the back of the locker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

donvito99 wrote: »
    Evening Herald; August 12th 2008

The garda wardrobe is to be extended at a cost more than €12m, as the force prepares for a major makeover.
    Gardai are to be provided with a new range of safety gear, including state-of-the-art body armour and stab vests as they up their efforts to stamp out violent crime.
    [Apparently not, the only thing I can think of that falls under this category are the slash proof gloves]

A massive contract has been awarded to a Monaghan company who will now be charged with dressing the entire force for the next three years.
    Included in the new attire will be a fashionable--:D-- new uniform, ballistic equipment and public order equipment.
    [Needs IMO to be up to PSNI standard]

The contact, which was advertised by the Government Supplyies Agency, is worth €12.69m to James Boylan Safety Ltd.
    The company, which operates from five office and warehouse bases around the country, will supply clothing until the end of 2011.
    The firm already hold the contracts for other high profile customers including the Defence Forces.
    Listed among the items are a “new look” uniform, including tunics, polo-shirts, T-shirts, rainsuits, shirts and trousers.
    A new range of helmets and anti-stab vests--[There only a year old!]

The order also includes public order coveralls and riot shields.
    Announcing the move, Junior Finance Minister Dr Martin Mansergh said that it was the “largest ever uniform contract”.
    The last selection of uniforms cost around €5m and seven years ago it was just over €1m.
    The exact design of the new uniform will not be revealed until later this year, but it is expected to be visible on the streets by next summer.

Funny to see that alot of things will be withdrawn. And the Public Order kit, will each Garda be issued with overalls or still just the helmet in the back of the locker?

Today I got a box which included 2 new trousers which are a little tight but I choose to blame Christmas and the trousers being smaller! 4 shirts which are the exact same and 1 tie which is the exact same (cheap bastards, ties I need, I have about 20 shirts)

Never even got asked for measurements concerning a new improved uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 met-man

You weren't honestly expecting money to be spent on ye were ya....sure do ya not know there's a recession on! :p

In all seriousness, AGS should have been kitted out properly when the going was good, the likelihood of this happening now is limited.

IMO the current uniform does not present well and looks less professional than the older one. When you factor in that spray is still being withheld and tetra has yet to be fully rolled out....is someone extracting the urine?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

met-man wrote: »
    You weren't honestly expecting money to be spent on ye were ya....sure do ya not know there's a recession on! :p

In all seriousness, AGS should have been kitted out properly when the going was good, the likelihood of this happening now is limited.

IMO the current uniform does not present well and looks less professional than the older one. When you factor in that spray is still being withheld and tetra has yet to be fully rolled out....is someone extracting the urine?

if they were no doubt someone would suggest testing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Heard from a reliable source today, (a rival company), that a contract has been awarded to a german company for the new issue of body armour to be issued to ALL members this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

ScubaDave wrote: »
    Heard from a reliable source today, (a rival company), that a contract has been awarded to a german company for the new issue of body armour to be issued to ALL members this year!
    german-helmet.jpg

Splendid.
    At least they'll be here on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

This is the current german body armour......
    1s-body-armour.jpg

But with Garda cutbacks and pay deductions this is what all members are being issued with, public order units will be the only members issued with the new helmet....
    BodyArmor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

70379.jpg

BTW, the body armour is only a year old [not the above of course], is it really that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

This is the current german body armour......
    1s-body-armour.jpg

Looks like it'll stop a rocket propelled grenade but not very pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

The current armour is German. I wonder if it's a new batch from the same manufacturer?

metman wrote: »
    Looks like it'll stop a rocket propelled grenade but not very pretty.

Its not very gucci alright... its like an abraham tank wrapped around you by the looks of it:D

A lot of forces here issue the Arktis rig that can be worn over the body armour. This would work well for AGS with the current vest, what do members think?

1610_UtilityVest_05.jpg

I think it looks very professional, much better than equipment belts,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Given that some of the brass felt that open baton holders & overt vests were too aggressive looking, I'd say there's little chance of them going with something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Whitewater-AGS

Today I got a box which included 2 new trousers which are a little tight but I choose to blame Christmas and the trousers being smaller! 4 shirts which are the exact same and 1 tie which is the exact same (cheap bastards, ties I need, I have about 20 shirts)

Never even got asked for measurements concerning a new improved uniform.

Dont worry that was just your yearly allocation of uniform which was supplied by the old company hunters, with regards measurements it should have come down on paper saying that you needed to fax hunters with any changes.

Hopefully someone will pass this info onto you next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Could anybody tell me the length of the asp unextended, and the length of the asp pouch/holder?

I saw a Garda last week with what looked like asp and pouch on his belt and I thought it looked quite long and cumbersome. However, it may have been a very small torch but seeing as I don't know what ye have on yer belts..would anyone care to indulge my curiosity as to what it may have been? :)

The standard issue 21 inch ASP is 7.75 inches when closed.

Holders vary, some overtly display the baton grip, some cover the grip entirely thus providing a low profile covert carry on the belt.

As regards what you saw on the belt? Difficult to say as there's so much rubbish Tackleberry types can stick on their belts!

On my duty belt I carry a 21 inch asp, my CS gas, speedkuffs, a second set of chain cuffs, a leatherman, a surefire torch and a pouch stuffed with latex gloves. Also on the belt is my D loop for my level 2 baton (public order straight Arnold baton that gets substituted for the asp depending on role) and a cuff key holder and radio klickfast attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Cheers metman...good to have you back too mate! :)

metman wrote: »
    The standard issue 21 inch ASP is 7.75 inches when closed.

Holders vary, some overtly display the baton grip, some cover the grip entirely thus providing a low profile covert carry on the belt.

As regards what you saw on the belt? Difficult to say as there's so much rubbish Tackleberry types can stick on their belts!

On my duty belt I carry a 21 inch asp, my CS gas, speedkuffs, a second set of chain cuffs, a leatherman, a surefire torch and a pouch stuffed with latex gloves. Also on the belt is my D loop for my level 2 baton (public order straight Arnold baton that gets substituted for the asp depending on role) and a cuff key holder and radio klickfast attachment.

Jeez, Hello Mr kettle! :P

Back to the subject, The Gear being German doesnt really impress me seeing as they dont wear body armour as standard in Germany (which I found a little weird but there you go)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

eroo wrote: »
    Could anybody tell me the length of the asp unextended, and the length of the asp pouch/holder?

I saw a Garda last week with what looked like asp and pouch on his belt and I thought it looked quite long and cumbersome. However, it may have been a very small torch but seeing as I don't know what ye have on yer belts..would anyone care to indulge my curiosity as to what it may have been? :)

Could have been a 26 inch asp? You can get the 26inch which is an extra inch or more longer when closed than the 21inch.

Some guys change to the 26inch and continue to carry it in a sidebreak holster for the 21inch, instead of getting the 26inch sidebreak - it fits ok in the 21inch, but sticks out a lot! and will fall out easily or is easily grabbed by someone of you in a tussle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Ok i could be off on this. But i was talkin to our cig about the uniform (i haven't been fitted yet - next week) and he was sayin about all the gear - new fleece great coat etc... i moaned about not getting trousers with more pockets and he said - YES we are getting new trousers with more pockets, they will still look smart etc with crease but will have more pockets on the sides like snickers type work pants! and fresh covers for the stabvests. I hope its true and he's not messin with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

the locust wrote: »
    Ok i could be off on this. But i was talkin to our cig about the uniform (i haven't been fitted yet - next week) and he was sayin about all the gear - new fleece great coat etc... i moaned about not getting trousers with more pockets and he said - YES we are getting new trousers with more pockets, they will still look smart etc with crease but will have more pockets on the sides like snickers type work pants! and fresh covers for the stabvests. I hope its true and he's not messin with me!

i didn't see them when i was getting fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

The trousers are staying EXACTLY the same! NO difference at all! The uniform company told me this! They said themselves that they didnt understand why we are not getting combats!

Dont forget, the brass dont know alot about this uniform either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

He may have seen the SOC uniforms. Identical except with polo shirts and combats.

Those combats look pretty smart, too.

My head hurts with so many rumours going around. We wont know until one of us is actually wearing the damn thing. I wouldnt take the word of either a cig or the company as gospel. Cig has no input in the subject and the guys fitting you are there just for that and have no input either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭foxtrot-oscar

I dont know why the garda brass have insited on holding onto the same impractical uniform.

The days of shirt and ties for operational work is long gone.

The work that you lads do is the same as all the emergency services, and which of them wear shirt and ties anymore? Take dfb for example navy shirt,tshirt and combats all good quality suff which takes the strain. They use common sense dont know why gardai cant do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I dont know why the garda brass have insited on holding onto the same impractical uniform.

The days of shirt and ties for operational work is long gone.

The work that you lads do is the same as all the emergency services, and which of them wear shirt and ties anymore? Take dfb for example navy shirt,tshirt and combats all good quality suff which takes the strain. They use common sense dont know why gardai cant do the same

Unfortunately public perception seems to be more important than practicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭foxtrot-oscar

And thats your problem right there, €10 says the last time the people who think up the uniform, they were wearing tunics with brass buttons.

Almost as good as the new hse uniforms, giving the lads almost see through white shirts, smart one that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭JonAnderton

What do you of the fact that the London School of Fashion were designing new kit for us... Apparently some of it is being trialed at the moment...

Advertisement