Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

Teferi wrote: »
    minus the fried tomato.

No point giving it to him if he doesn't want it! that's just wasteful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Crackerspray

and i dont have a problem with that

im just sick of them busting staffs balls over prices

The best thing to do with these people is to patronize them so they shut up and just get on with it, tell them (in a smug tone) there are cheaper alternatives of the product and your more than happy to bring them to the shelf and help them choose... always worked for me! Arrogant b@stards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Lets face it. The technology is simple to regulate the amount of petrol you put into the car - but the garages refuse to use it - so if you intend to pay for €20 at the pump & go over a little, they are hoping you will keep going till you spend €30...

It's not a case of the garages refusing to use it. Automatic pumps are illegal in this country. Unless you're talking about the ones where you can just set a cap on the amount spent and then manually pump until it's reached. That would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

javaboy wrote: »
    Automatic pumps are illegal in this country

Illegal? Where are you getting this information?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Martly wrote: »
    Guy in my job is really mean, theres been loads of incidents but this one was the worst.
    There was a meal in a conference room one in day in aid of a chinese orphanage, all chinese food etc and so u give what u can at the end and the money goes to the charity, anyway, we had that and later on he was like " oh i never ate my sandwich, ah sure il have it tomorrow", which was a saturday, so instead of throwing away the manky looking tuna sandwich he would keep it and have it on the saturday!! Yuck! Plus i dont think he gave anything to the charity even after eating a big plate of food!!

That's not stingy, that's normal :confused: I'd sure eat my sandwich if it was there and I hadn't eaten it the day before. It's only one day.

• Advertisement

steo87 wrote: »
    Illegal? Where are you getting this information?

Can't remember where I heard it originally. It's comes up on the Motors forum a few times. Here's a thread that covers it and quotes the relevant legislation: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055219311
    43. (1) A stop, catch or similar device shall not be provided on a pump hose nozzle of a petroleum Class I dispensing pump which is designed to keep the nozzle valve open to permit delivery of petroleum without manual pressure unless—
    ( a ) the pump is operated at all times by an authorised person.
    ( b ) the nozzle is provided with a suitable and efficient automatic shut-off device to prevent spillage which may result from a splash-back occurrence or obstruction in or overfilling of a fuel tank of a vehicle or container, and the minimum flow-rate to operate the shut-off device does not exceed one-half of the flow-rate for which the retaining latch is set,
    ( c ) in the event of the nozzle falling out of the filling-pipe of a vehicle, the operating lever of the nozzle valve is automatically released from the retaining latch or device upon contact of the nozzle with the vehicle or the ground,
    ( d ) the flow of petroleum is stopped immediately in the event of the nozzle falling out of the filling-pipe of a vehicle, and
    ( e ) suitable means are provided to prevent so far as is practicable the displacement or detachment (other than by manual movement) of the nozzle in or from the filling-pipe of a vehicle during the delivery of petroleum to the fuel tank.

So they aren't entirely illegal but most forecourt setups wouldn't allow for them. Some people put the petrol cap in between the trigger and trigger guard which can make it automatically pump while they do whatever else they have to do but that's dangerous imo. Putting in a limit on how much petrol you want before shutoff would probably encourage more people to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

livvy wrote: »
    When i was in college the girl i shared with took the Superser gas heater connecter thingy home at weekends so i couldn't use the gas heater - i lived too far away to go home every weekend.. That was years ago but i will never forget it.

That's shocking!
    You should have got a second one on the sly.

I think there are crossed wires here about "automatic" pumps.

There are two types,
    one which will pump a predetermined amount of fuel before shutting down and those that stop pumping when the tank is full and have the clip fitted in the trigger to allow you to pump without holding the trigger.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We were renting a house but not all the rooms in it. When we got home from work there was a guy bricking up the doorway of one of those rooms. Then the landlady tried to sell us the bags of wood that were in the room. The house had 15/25Watt bulbs, you couldn't even read standing under the bulb had to sit at the window and use the street light. The bathroom floor was made of chipboard, not OSB or anything waterproof. After a while the two locked rooms were opened up. We took one look and closed them again. Rusty bed frames with no mattresses. The saucepans were nearly rusted through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

On holiday in Peru. There were 6 Australians in the group with us. Some guides guys carried our backpacks and helped us out for days. We were knackered and we werent even carrying our bags. When it came to paying at the end we turned around and the 6 Australians are gone.

Met them in a hostel later and asked them for their share and they said - wait for it - "we bought one of them a bottle of water yesterday." They wouldnt pay up.

Couple of years ago my brother met some ausies on holiday and as the ausies never miss an opportinity to get someones address so they can freeload later, they got his address. So last summer he got a call form 2 of them. they more or less invited themselves over to our parents house for 2 weeks. They were driven around, fed, brought to the pub (where they didnt buy anything) and then were gone. Didnt even buy a teabag for my parents.

Last story : Mary Hearney once tried to steal money from pensioners who had been charged in the wrong for staying in nursing homes.

• Advertisement

I think there are crossed wires here about "automatic" pumps.

There are two types,
    one which will pump a predetermined amount of fuel before shutting down and those that stop pumping when the tank is full and have the clip fitted in the trigger to allow you to pump without holding the trigger.

I do know the difference and meant to make the distinction clearer in my post.
    What I was getting at in my last post was the way some people put the petrol cap in the trigger guard to make it pump automatically. If more stations had the preset amount type pump, I think more people would pull that little trick which is dangerous imo.
    It would just be safer to install the full automatic pumps in that case.

We were renting a house but not all the rooms in it. When we got home from work there was a guy bricking up the doorway of one of those rooms. Then the landlady tried to sell us the bags of wood that were in the room. The house had 15/25Watt bulbs, you couldn't even read standing under the bulb had to sit at the window and use the street light. The bathroom floor was made of chipboard, not OSB or anything waterproof. After a while the two locked rooms were opened up. We took one look and closed them again. Rusty bed frames with no mattresses. The saucepans were nearly rusted through.

So who is the stingy one in that story? The landlady who did everything on the cheap..... or the fella who wouldn't fork out for half decent digs? :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

The best thing to do with these people is to patronize them so they shut up and just get on with it, tell them (in a smug tone) there are cheaper alternatives of the product and your more than happy to bring them to the shelf and help them choose... always worked for me! Arrogant b@stards

i usually just tell them to try another shop,"ah sure (insert store name here) will do u a deal,try them"

they usuall come back a week later and say fúck all,having been laughed at in the other store.Good idea though

What I was getting at in my last post was the way some people put the petrol cap in the trigger guard to make it pump automatically.
    I sometimes use a "pop rivit" for that, slide it through the holes in the trigger - automatic pump. ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So who is the stingy one in that story? The landlady who did everything on the cheap..... or the fella who wouldn't fork out for half decent digs? :d
    students with no transport in a small town down the country :(
    we moved out when as soon as we found another place , it was bad but not as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

A friend of a friend offered to make tea in the office. She made 3 cups of tea with the 1 teabag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A guy I knew used to boil eggs in the kettle remove the lid for a few minutes to keep it boiling then use the water to make tea.

A friend of a friend offered to make tea in the office. She made 3 cups of tea with the 1 teabag.

There's a recession on don't you know? She'll be promoted for spearheading cost cutting initiatives while you'll be left floundering at the bottom of the ladder with your strong tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I don't understand, people must be buying some mad ****ty teabags if you can't make more than one cup with them! Barrys Tea is good for at least two cups, otherwise you'd buy the One Cup teabags they offer, am I wrong?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

A guy I knew used to boil eggs in the kettle remove the lid for a few minutes to keep it boiling then use the water to make tea.

Thats genius!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Degag wrote: »
    Thats genius!

No it's not. A kettle uses much more electricity than a pot to boil water

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No it's not. A kettle uses much more electricity than a pot to boil water

but a kettle boils much faster so it's not using energy for as long. it pretty much takes a fixed amount of energy to bring a fixed volume of water to the boil so they'd use about the same amount and by using the same water to boil an egg and make tea you are making a saving, albeit with egg flavoured tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lebby

Me and my friends were going on a knacker holiday to Gran Canaria after our Leaving Cert, one of the girls brought a box of condoms just in case! She said we could use them as long as we put the money in the box, she was charging a fiver per condom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

lebby wrote: »
    Me and my friends were going on a knacker holiday to Gran Canaria after our Leaving Cert, one of the girls brought a box of condoms just in case! She said we could use them as long as we put the money in the box, she was charging a fiver per condom!!!

Thats cheap i just paid fifty euro for a handj.......... never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

lebby wrote: »
    Thats smart business. The rule is basically rather have and not need then need and not have.
    How much did she make?......and off who?.........and whats their numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

df1985 wrote: »
    waiting for the train with a mate one day, he asks me do ive any spare change because he didnt want to break his 2euro coin!!!
    Similarly, back in school in late 90's a friend from a VERY rich family (uncle was even a lottery winner!!!) asked me for 5p to buy one of those jelly dummies in the shop as she didn't want to break a £1.... those kind of people sicken me.

DEFINITELY true about rich people being tight. Have another friend from a wealthy family who hates parting with money. You can see her start to perspire when her round is due :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    but a kettle boils much faster so it's not using energy for as long. it pretty much takes a fixed amount of energy to bring a fixed volume of water to the boil so they'd use about the same amount and by using the same water to boil an egg and make tea you are making a saving, albeit with egg flavoured tea

In our flats in college we have a meter. We turned off everything in the flat other than the appliance for a number of things. It worked out cheaper to boil a litre of water a on hob than boil in kettle.

This post is far more on topic than I originally intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lebby

None of us actually used them but some condoms still went missing which she was not very happy about!" she had a Vanessa Feltz style melt down after 2 days. the one time she odered food was a chicken burgser from eddie rockets. then the waitress came back and said thet had no chicken left. so she took it as a sign from god that she was not meant to eat that day. then she used to stick post-its all around the apartment reminding ppl to clean up. i mean for gods sake we were on our bloody holidays!!!!in my opinion the worst quality a person can ever have is stinginess!!! its horrble!!!!

about the egg in the kettle
    you do know they don't wash eggs don't you ?

suppose it adds flavour to the tea :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

about the egg in the kettle
    you do know they don't wash eggs don't you ?

suppose it adds flavour to the Chicken Soup :pac:

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement