Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Noises...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

SDooM wrote: »
    Was in work the other day and heard what sounded like allmercyful screams from outside in the dark.

I was about 50% ringing the police when a guy working next to me, who seemed completely non plussed, sent me this link:

It was only a fox!

This happens to me all the time, under the mask of night your mind plays tricks and sounds transform into something they're not.

Happen to anyone else?

wholey sh1t!!!
    I heard that the other night from a dark forest across from where I was.
    What doesn't help is that the street lights along a walkway in the forest were knocked off :confused:

I've heard other weird noises but I think its farm animals. Enough to send my already crazy mind into overdrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Neighbour across the road has a big garden and whenever my mates and I are playing poker you can hear the foxes screaming at each other. Sometimes we join in which the odd time leads to a curious fox coming to take a look :D

I can't sleep with my pc, i just can't. Noise itself doesn't annoy me all that much but the sound of fans just do my head in. Guess i'm not nerdy enough :(
    Probably for the best as i'm sure the gf wouldn't appreciate it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

SDooM wrote: »
    Was in work the other day and heard what sounded like allmercyful screams from outside in the dark.

I was about 50% ringing the police when a guy working next to me, who seemed completely non plussed, sent me this link:

It was only a fox!

This happens to me all the time, under the mask of night your mind plays tricks and sounds transform into something they're not.

Happen to anyone else?

i hear bangers revving through first and second all day along outside my house, ive half a mind to clutch kick them into a pillar...

but really ive a neighbour next door with a breathing machine and it sounds like ghosts !!

HELPZ meh PLZ 111121111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

i lived in the sticks till i was 16 nd in a town for the last 6.
    nd yes no sound at all is very creepy especially when you get a loud unexpected one, like your neighbours banger goin off.dear sweet christ!!
    also being so dark in your room,you cant see anything,i mean anything!

and the worst,something or someone (we never found out which) walking on the gravel path around the house. bone chilling

then in the new house,you've rafters creakin,floorboards settling. very unnerving

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i remember as a kid, i would *swear* that i heard ticking, like a clock, but too fast, from inside the walls. i remember my mind playing all sorts of tricks,a nd lying there waiting for the bomb to go off, but it never happend...

i swear, the ticking was actually there. whether it was coming from my watch, a clock, or something else, ill never know, but it was most certianly there.

and after i moved to new zealand, i was quite chilled the first time my fella went out at night, and hadnt intended being gone long, but was actually gone a few hours, and i heard every conceivable terrifyingly scary thing, from footsteps up to the front door, to what im convinced were gunshots outside, to the boyracers squealing up and down teh road outside the house, to random creaky noises, to rival gangs getting into a small squabble on the street.

he's not really left me alone since, thanks be to god.

also, in autumn, walking alone at night, when it's been dry, and the wind blows the leaves along, and they sound like footfalls, freaks the ****e outta me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Oh my god, that's mad, the same thing happen to me last week! Was sitting in the other night and at about 2 in the morning we heard what also sounded like some poor soul being tortured. When I open the front door to see what was going on there was a fox just standing in the garden, they make a bizarre noise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Foxes make the most terrifying noise ever! There was one on my road a few months back screaming like a lunatic but I was too scared to look out the window in case it was a girl being murdered. But my mammy checked and said it was a fox... :o
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ah sign of a true nerd unable to sleep with out the hum of the pc.

Oh god it's so true. Stayed in the OH's on new years and he left the computer on, jesus I couldn't sleep at all for the noise of it. Told him about it in the morning and he said he couldn't hear it at all, like even then. So annoying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Most nights hear boy racers racing each other.

Occasionally the odd shotgun going off too.

Boy I love this town

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

i remember as a kid, i would *swear* that i heard ticking, like a clock, but too fast, from inside the walls. i remember my mind playing all sorts of tricks, and lying there waiting for the bomb to go off, but it never happend...

i swear, the ticking was actually there. whether it was coming from my watch, a clock, or something else, ill never know, but it was most certianly there.
    Aye, can remember that in a friend's house, 'twould start up, then stop, start again a few minutes later ...

His father had a theory it was some kind of beetle ... no idea really myself, had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.
    fonpokno wrote: »
    Stayed in the OH's on new years and he left the computer on, jesus I couldn't sleep at all for the noise of it.
    Ever ready to spring into action ... such dedication to duty!! :pac: :D

Aye, foxes make a blood-curdling sound when they start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This has happened on a few of the paranormal forum outings. A fox's cry can sound so very like a woman's scream. There's nothing quite as freaky as standing outside a haunted castle and hearing a blood-curdling shriek rip the night asunder.

(well, except for all the ghosts and stuff inside the castle ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

AHH who knew foxes could be so scary!!!!!!
    The house at the back of my old flat in Rathmines was abandoned and had 19 stray cats living in it,mating calls of cats are terrifying in the middle of the night.
    They scream and make this kind of chattering sound very,very weird!!!!!! Only for i seen one of them screaming i would never have believed it was a cat!:eek:

I also work in city centre and weekends are a treat in that place!!! Women are sooooo loud when they are drunk,even scarier is that they think they are being really quiet!! (ha i'll have to try remember that next time im locked!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I would hate to hear burglars breaking into my house, or downstairs when we're all in bed. I'm terrified I'll see someone creeping around the back of the house on one of my usual late nights.

Scary burglar video....

:pac: Little thief!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Hehe, that had me giggling away!
    I was wondering what he was gonna go for!

All I can hear at the moment is keys typing from me and my Mammy. The clock ticking and that strange sound of the kettle and television settle that I've never understood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Cows calving in the middle of the night sound like the zombies from Resident Evil. A lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

...walking alone at night, when it's been dry, and the wind blows the leaves along, and they sound like footfalls...

Love that sound, and the sound of the wind at night. Spooky, yet strangely comforting.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

the worst of all is absolute deathly silence. that way you hear all those potential horrors if they were to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The deep rumbly drone and punctuated "POP" noises that come out of the local boyracers cars (at stinking 2am) as they drive up the town, down the town, up the town....

I am about two more "POP!"'s and a novelty horn away from an act of vigilante vandalism. Or throwing eggs.

Yeah, there's a bit of that boy racer crap 'round my way. Think there's a law on the way to sort it out. Sometimes I like 'The Man'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

embee wrote: »
    The deep rumbly drone and punctuated "POP" noises that come out of the local boyracers cars (at stinking 2am) as they drive up the town, down the town, up the town....

I am about two more "POP!"'s and a novelty horn away from an act of vigilante vandalism. Or throwing eggs.
    If they had actually ever gotten more than two pops with their novelty horns, they mightn't feel the need to be such attention whores! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

They're at it right now, the bloody b*stards!!!!

I'll get Obama on the case. He should throw the wee f*ckers into Guantanamo and make them watch their cars be blown up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

did you know that cockroaches can fly?

and beetles?

ok, and we all knew mosquitos can. but fuuuuuuuuuck, im convinced i can see/hear them everywehre now after discovering first hand that all of these things are real issues at night time here in my new room.

*shivers*

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

did you know that cockroaches can fly?

and beetles?

ok, and we all knew mosquitos can. but fuuuuuuuuuck, im convinced i can see/hear them everywehre now after discovering first hand that all of these things are real issues at night time here in my new room.

*shivers*

I knew beetles but I didn't think cockroaches could. =/

And bloody hell, those screaming foxes sound scary. However, it puts me slightly at ease. It wasn't a girl being murdered, just some poor fox. :o

...beep beep...beep beep...beep beep...beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep: a nocturnal sound guaranteed to keep ya awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,846 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have the distinct pleasure of living nearby a freight-railway and within an approach corridor for the Charleston AFB - the train you get used to, it runs close to schedule, but nothing really jars you like a C130 on approach a few hundred meters overhead. Damn military planes run at random.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

We have mice at the moment so I keep waking up to random scratching, scurrying noises during the night coming from the attic. Used to terrify me when i was younger and had a bunk bed as the sound was coming from directly over my head.

Also, I have drums in my room and the snare vibrates when there's movement/sound in the room. One night i woke up to this really weird sound and realised it was coming from my snare drum. It lasted for about ten minutes or so and then just stopped suddenly but there was no one in the room other than me, and no sound other than the snare vibrating. Scared the bejeebus out of me. Still don't know how/why it happened. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Worst noise I woke up to before was in Cambodia - squealing/screaming I thought a child was being murdered. Went on for about 20mins (4am in the morning)... I found out the next day it was the neighbours slaughtering pigs....

Advertisement