Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Noises...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Whooaaa creepy! :eek:

Noises freak the hell out of me all the time at night. A christmas decoration fell off the tree the other night and I almost had a heart attack :rolleyes: Couple of weeks ago while drifting off to sleep a shopping bag must've fallen over but I was terror-stricken for about 30 seconds :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

On NYE I was walking past a park and there was revellers in it. The way the sound was reverberating made it sound like some evil animals from hell on the hunt.

Or at least it sounded like that, in my head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Regarding the foxes, my ex who didn't live in an area with many of them, when she first heard them at night in Dublin I wasn't there, and she got scared and rang me in tears. Don't blame her, because it used to scare the bejesus out of me.

The Dart line has loads of foxies living on it.

Regarding the foxes, my ex who didn't live in an area with many of them, when she first heard them at night in Dublin I wasn't there, and she got scared and rang me in tears. Don't blame her, because it used to scare the bejesus out of me.

The Dart line has loads of foxies living on it.

Of course there's the sound of cats fighting too.

A cat fighting a fox in the middle of the night must be the scariest sound...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

feylya wrote: »
    Foxes shagging is one of the weirdest and bone chilling sounds you can hear if you don't know what it is

Especially at midnight when you are home alone and 11 years old. I was scared ****less :eek:

• Advertisement

Someone said to me that most reported cases of bean sidhes were because of foxes....

SDooM wrote: »
    Of course there's the sound of cats fighting too.

A cat fighting a fox in the middle of the night must be the scariest sound...

Hmmm have never heard foxes and cats fighting. Not sure I want to.

Oh in honour of my ex's apartment, have you ever heard Turko-Dutch scumbags fighting at night? Truly allows romance to blossom. :pac:

Hmmm have never heard foxes and cats fighting. Not sure I want to.

Oh in honour of my ex's apartment, have you ever heard Turko-Dutch scumbags fighting at night? Truly allows romance to blossom. :pac:

I used to live over an extremely dodgy pub in Dublin city centre. I know all about nocturnal warfare experiences.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I grew up in the wilds of Mayo with a forrest all around me, so such things were something I got very used to very quickly.

As a result, "human" noises freak me out more - a floorboard creaking or a blood-curdling scream scare the bejebus outta me.

On the contrary though, I love the noise of rain in the night... It's the nicest thing to drift off to sleep to.

• Advertisement

I used to live over an extremely dodgy pub in Dublin city centre. I know all about nocturnal warfare experiences.

Ah. I can sympathise. Luckily her apartment was also very close to the ambulance base in that city. :rolleyes::p

And I wonder why our sleeping patterns were weird...? :pac:

But yeah, fighting's the worst of all nocturnal noises.

Oh and was in the country last night - is there anything scarier than no noise at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ACW

Where I grew up, it was the shotgun or pistol shots in the night which awake me. But on the plus side, I know the difference at 3am.

Ah. I can sympathise. Luckily her apartment was also very close to the ambulance base in that city. :rolleyes::p

And I wonder why our sleeping patterns were weird...? :pac:

But yeah, fighting's the worst of all nocturnal noises.

Oh and was in the country last night - is there anything scarier than no noise at all?

I loved that when I first moved to Celbridge. I actually find the clamour of city places annoying now...

ACW wrote: »
    Where I grew up, it was the shotgun or pistol shots in the night which awake me. But on the plus side, I know the difference at 3am.
    Where did ya grow up if I might ask? ^^
    I loved that when I first moved to Celbridge. I actually find the clamour of city places annoying now...

I can't concentrate without noise. :pac:

Corsica and Dublin

Corsica and Dublin

Ah. Corsica. Know someone in the Legion there.

Corsica and Dublin

What noise does Corsica make? :D

Shotguns, pistols, explosions, fire bombs, sirens and the ever present noise of love making through open windows.

While Dublin only has the first 5. Your country really lacks a healthy sexual indulgence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

... or the weather for open windows! :D

A variable I did not consider...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Foxes shagging is one of the weirdest and bone chilling sounds you can hear if you don't know what it is

Yiff, Yiff Yiff.
    Then don't be shagging them :P

At night I can hear the trians on the maynooth line which are over a good 30 mins walk away
    and then in summer when it's warm blasted talking traffics lights at the shopping center.

Every house has it's own settling noises a well as those outside, and being up late in a new/strange place
    is always intresting.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yiff, Yiff Yiff.
    Then don't be shagging them :P

Beggars and choosers and all that.

I must admit, the most annoying nocturnal noise is one of my hard disks slowly dying. I could turn my computer off but then I couldn't sleep.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I can't concentrate without noise. :pac:
    Same here, I grew up with a main road 20ft from my bedroom window, so I can sleep in fairly noisy situations as well as finding it difficult to concentrate in complete silence.

<snip> - orestes

Dear gods. *blocks the mental images* No. too late. Damn you. Damn you straight to heck. So what did it sound like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Keep it PG or face serious consequences folks.

This is your one and only warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Beggars and choosers and all that.

I must admit, the most annoying nocturnal noise is one of my hard disks slowly dying. I could turn my computer off but then I couldn't sleep.

Ah sign of a true nerd unable to sleep with out the hum of the pc.

Very true, I when I built my new silenced pc I kept waking up at night, concerned by the lack of whiring in the night. Thankfully the 3am virus scan and defrag cause a bit of a stir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

There's this noise coming from the other side of my sitting room every so often, it creeps me out. Kinda whirring noise... it goes in patterns too. :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

All I can hear is the fridge, the PC and the clock ticking. All pretty quiet. There are no noises at all from outside. Creepy.

• Advertisement

All I can hear (bar my one ear phone of soothing music) is the clatter of typed upon keys and the air condition units. Perhaps if I closed my eyes the hum of our fluorescent would become apparent.

Advertisement