Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC or Guns and Roses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

While I personally like the song 'November Rain', I think its was a total sell out. No gay-ass piano solos or brass instruments with AC/DC.

AC/DC have a formula and they stick to it.

AC/DC are Rock and Roll. Although I do prefer Bon Scott but then again the songs are so different from Brian Johnson so cant really compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DylanJames

I can't believe this poll exists. GNR shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as DC. Anybody who knows anything about music wouldn't have to think think twice if asked this question. AC/DC are the greatest rock n' roll band of all time and the greatest band to see live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

AC/DC
    While I personally like the song 'November Rain', I think its was a total sell out. No gay-ass piano solos or brass instruments with AC/DC.
    How is changing musical direction from one that sold millions of albums and cementing them as one of the greatest rock bands ever "selling out"?

Also, you do know that most of November Rain was written well before Appetite came out?
    AC/DC have a formula and they stick to it.
    Which is what makes them so god damn repetitive and tiring to listen to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

AC/DC
    guns n roses all day long.

the new bands new direction is better then Ac-Dc could ever imagine.

even the old GnR, each member has more talent then most bands do collectively

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Ardent

AC/DC - purely for the reasons that they've stood the test of time and have never gone soft like GNR did a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    How is changing musical direction from one that sold millions of albums and cementing them as one of the greatest rock bands ever "selling out"?

Also, you do know that most of November Rain was written well before Appetite came out?

Which is what makes them so god damn repetitive and tiring to listen to...

Well mate nobody is forcing you to listen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

AC/DC
    Guns N Roses for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

S.I.R wrote: »
    guns n roses all day long.

the new bands new direction is better then Ac-Dc could ever imagine.

even the old GnR, each member has more talent then most bands do collectively

Yeah, but ACDC don't have an absolute LOON of a frontman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Yeah, but ACDC don't have an absolute LOON of a frontman.

And that's a good thing?

Axl Rose is stone mad, thats what makes him one of the top 3 frontmen of all time, I still prefer ACDC overall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 K is4katzpaza

AC/DC
    This is mad. GNR are obviously the better band, its obvious. Not to over obviousise it, but if AC/DC were the best band in the world would they not have won a prize for it? Obviosly they didnt, cos I never heard it.

My second point is so obvious that i wont even go into it any further.

thirdlay, and obviously lastly. Could the man who took my thesaurus please return it to me. My use of languauge is obviously been hindered without it, even the portugese dwarf in my book club is slagging me. This obviously brings great shame to me and my family.

Obviously there is one more point to be made, and that is GNR are magic.. I especialy like their music.

Up GNR, rev it up ya boyz yiz......................................................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 K is4katzpaza

AC/DC
    obviously i fogot to add, " The K is 4 Katzpaza" thats my name and dont ware it out!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

AC/DC
    It's cool how the vote is so evenly split but it has to be GnR for me. All AC/DC's songs sound the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 sunshine007

AC/DC
    GNR defo... early days stuff... After reading Slash's autobiography, my views on Axl, have gone downhill bigstyle... however, it is a one sided story... but defo GNR ... Well in fairness, credit to both, they both have their own styles, but i do prefer the old GNR style :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

AC/DC
    Guns definitely by a LONG way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

So far the votes are neck and neck, 61 votes each.
    I voted for AC/DC, they're in a completely different league to Guns and Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

AC/DC
    Without a doubt Gnr for me,find as much as i respect AC/DC GNR for me far more origional,even though i think it was circus magazine back in the day who reveiwed Appetite and said that GNR were a weak AC/DC and during a GNR gig in London in 87 Axl mentions it to the crowd and launches in Whole lotta rosie..

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CivilWAR07

AC/DC
    GNR all the way for me. Its a religion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

AC/DC
    GnR for me,thats 64 a piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

AC/DC are my favourite band, so they were obviously going to get my vote. Twice in 2009 I shall be attending events of a nature that precludes their discussion on these hallowed boards, and I cannot wait.

Yes, they're a one-trick pony. However, a lot of people here seem to be under the impression that this is easy to be. It isn't. I'd say most bands that play in a genre have just a handful of really great tracks in them in that genre - hence the experimentation. For instance, don't you think The Knack would have released album after album of really awesome tracks just like My Sharona if they could have? Of course they would! But they couldn't! AC/DC can, and I love them for it. I can put on any given AC/DC album and have between two (Stiff Upper Lip) and eight (Back in Black) tracks guaranteed to have me dancing around like a muppet and singing into an aerosol can. No other band gives me that ratio.

For proof of their awesomeness, listen to It's a Long Way to the Top if you want to Rock and Roll again, and think of the scale of their achievement. This bunch a crazy drunken retarded Scots/Aussies actually made bag-pipes cool! Bag-pipes!?! They are normally the most annoying thing on earth! So Guns n' Roses can give you appetite for destruction - AC/DC can give me appetite for bagpipes, and we all know which is the greater achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Messiah-19

AC/DC
    Must certainly the most difficult choice i have had to make towards a music topic!! While individully, the previous guns N Roses may have been better technically, in perhaps mosts aspects, the combined unit of AC/DC is extraordinary. Both are my favourite bands, and cant be separated!!! Voted for GnR though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

80's guns and roses were great, personally I love 'Lies' but when you hear an AC/DC song come on i always feel good....No opinion really!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I voted AC/DC for their longevity and they do exactly what it says on the tin!

Rock on people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MicroCube

I say Guns and Roses for me. Although AC/DC is a good band. Slash makes better sounding solos than Angus Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

AC/DC
    Guns n Roses - melody, lyrics, image, attitude, presence .

I do really like Ac/Dc. Highway to Hell was the first "RRRRRRock" album I got and I still love it to this day. Guns n Roses just seem to be slightly more important - they quit/imploded while they were still a hugely successful band worldwide.
    Just the scope and trajectory and energy of Guns n Roses I've always loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

AC/DC
    Guns n Roses - melody, lyrics, image, attitude, presence .
    Just the scope and trajectory and energy of Guns n Roses I've always loved.

+1 well said. Gotta be (pre Chinese Democracry) Guns N Roses! smiley-faces-84.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

AC/DC
    It's Guns N' Roses - not 'and'.

I voted GNR - AC/DC will never have an album as good as Appetite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭DURKA-DURKA

AC/DC
    that is real toughie! but ya gotta go with guns 'n' roses!

AC/DC
    Big Wave wrote: »
    It's Guns N' Roses - not 'and'.

I voted GNR - AC/DC will never have an album as good as Appetite.

is it not Guns 'n' Roses ?
    /pedanticsim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

AC/DC
    is it not Guns 'n' Roses ?
    /pedanticsim
    Both Wikipedia and the official Guns N' Roses website spell it as Guns N' Roses so while both sources could be wrong, I stick with the single apostrophe version myself.

• Advertisement

AC/DC
    I agree it's got an aprostrophe in there but as a grammar issue I think there should be two , no ?
    Ah f-uck it :D

Advertisement