Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC or Guns and Roses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

AC/DC all the way for me. I like GNR too..but not nearly as much.

The minute i hear an AC/DC song... i want to turn up the volume.

One of the only bands that the minute i hear a song i instantly feel better!

Old skool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    You mean, the same song rewritten hundreds of times?

In your opinion....
    There's an old saying, if it aint broke then don't fix it.

If you like big bolated gimmicky commerical radio friendly rock then GNR are the band for you.

On the other hand..
    If you like no nonsence good-time old school rock and roll, AC/DC cannot be touched.

AC/DC are originals and totally unique.
    GNR sadly are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

AC/DC
    In your opinion....
    There's an old saying, if it aint broke then don't fix it.

If you like big bolated gimmicky commerical radio friendly rock then GNR are the band for you.

On the other hand..
    If you like no nonsence good-time old school rock and roll, AC/DC cannot be touched.

AC/DC are originals and totally unique.
    GNR sadly are not.
    In your opinion...

Sean_K wrote: »
    In your opinion...

Of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

malice_ wrote: »
    You must be confused if you'd leave out Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Civil War and You Could Be Mine!

Not a bit of confusion thankfully. I was talking about 'must have' albums. Those six songs you mentioned are off two albums. So that's six out of what - 25, 30 songs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

ZZ TOP !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Well its 28 votes to 28, dosen't look like there'll be much of a definitive answer so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ah now come on, GnR were a kick in the hole to commercial rock when they appeared. If their music is radio friendly it is purely down to them being so good and successful that radio had to change and start playing them. They're in the same vein as Nirvana, a band who changed the landscape when they arrived. If you didn't experience what it was like before them it's hard to truly gauge just how much things are different in their wake. It's easy to say the likes of GnR and Nirvana are commercial sellouts but there was nothing in that vein before they came. Things changed because of them, they really did. With GnR and AC/DC, we've got two ****ing fantastic rock bands and we're a lot better off for having them both. AC/DC were better for longer, IMO, but they're great bands both.

Doctor J wrote: »
    Ah now come on, GnR were a kick in the hole to commercial rock when they appeared. If their music is radio friendly it is purely down to them being so good and successful that radio had to change and start playing them. They're in the same vein as Nirvana, a band who changed the landscape when they arrived. If you didn't experience what it was like before them it's hard to truly gauge just how much things are different in their wake. It's easy to say the likes of GnR and Nirvana are commercial sellouts but there was nothing in that vein before they came. Things changed because of them, they really did. With GnR and AC/DC, we've got two ****ing fantastic rock bands and we're a lot better off for having them both. AC/DC were better for longer, IMO, but they're great bands both.

Fair enough. GNR burst onto the scene in 87 with a fantastic album. No arguements there. Every song on it is a gem. What happened after that was all very hollywood and gimmicky. The magic of the 1st album got lost very quickly with self endulgent stage shows and over the top videos, the music seemed to be less important than the image.

As has been said already on this thread, just look at the albums. GNR have 1 unquestionable classic and AC/DC have at least 5.

There's really no contest if you think about it rationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

As has been said already on this thread, just look at the albums. GNR have 1 unquestionable classic and AC/DC have at least 5.

There's really no contest if you think about it rationally.

Only five?
    1. Riff-Raff
    2. Who Made Who
    3. Back in Black
    4. The Jack
    5. Whole Lot of Rosie
    6. Stiff Upper Lip
    7. Highway to Hell

AC/DC sell out a whole tour without a shred of publicity. Hmmmmmm;)

• Advertisement

Heinrich wrote: »

AC/DC sell out a whole tour without a shred of publicity. Hmmmmmm;)
    Now that they're trendy to like again, but the last time they played here they were miles away from selling out the Point. ;)

Now that they're trendy to like again, but the last time they played here they were miles away from selling out the Point. ;)

Wasn't around for that. Were they promoting an album?

Yeah, the Ballbreaker tour.

The point being, both bands have their merits and flaws, they've both had their ups and downs in terms of popularity, if the old GnR ever re-unites you can be sure that tour will sell out without promotion too.

The only bit that really counts in any discussion like this is the tunes. If popularity meant anything then Westlife would be the greatest band in the world, you know what I mean ;)

They've both made some truly great tunes, just AC/DC have made more of them, but they've been around a lot longer too.

Yeah, the Ballbreaker tour.

The point being, both bands have their merits and flaws, they've both had their ups and downs in terms of popularity, if the old GnR ever re-unites you can be sure that tour will sell out without promotion too.

The only bit that really counts in any discussion like this is the tunes. If popularity meant anything then Westlife would be the greatest band in the world, you know what I mean ;)

They've both made some truly great tunes, just AC/DC have made more of them, but they've been around a lot longer too.

Funny, I'm just listening to Ballbreaker. Certainly not their best album. I get your point re Westlife and I would add U2 to that category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

DUBISAK wrote: »
    I can understand someone who says they like AC/DC more than GNR, but I can not understand anyone who says AC/DC are a better band than GNR.

I liken it to footbal, at which I support Leeds United. I like Leeds Utd more than I like Manchester United. I would prefer to watch a Leeds United game than a Man Utd game. I buy Leeds Utd merchandise, I do not but Man Utd merchandise, but at the end of the day I must admit that Man Utd are the better team.
    It's easy to understand how someone can say ACDC is a better band than GNR, I'll put it like this - which band has written about 5 times more classic tunes/must have albums than the other?

If you are talking technically better then yes Axel is technically better than Brian Johnson and Bon Scott. And GNR's rythym section is technically better. When it comes to guitar I wouldn't consider Slash technically better than Angus, I'd rate them about the same. But at the end of the being techincally a better band has feck all to do with being the better band in general.
    Like Cantona, Maradona, Gaza etc Axel Rose is a genius and incorrectly filled himself full of self confidence bloating his ego turning many rock fans against him. This seems to have led to nearly as many people liking the band as hating the band. But hate them or loved them you must admit that they are musically one of the finest.
    Axel Rose is no more musically gifted than than the Young brothers who have written waaaay more legendary rock tunes, tunes that even GNR's themselves even covered they were that good. Just because Axel is more tempermental doesn't make him any better than the Young brothers. All three are musical geniuses imo.

I vote ACDC all the way although GNR are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

AC/DC
    malice_ wrote: »
    You must be confused if you'd leave out Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Civil War and You Could Be Mine!

Doctor J was correct when he referred to the Use Your Illusion albums as bloated but there are some fantastic songs to be heard on them.

It's a bit like the old nursery rhyme: When Guns N' Roses songs were good they were very, very good but when they were bad they were horrid :).

AXL knew where they were headed. these lyrics from "pretty tied up" on UYI2 sum up the GN'R story:

"Once there was this rock n' roll band rollin' on the streets
    Time went by and it became a joke
    We just needed more and more fulfilling- Uh-huh
    Time went by and it all went up in smoke
    But check it out"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pub07 wrote: »
    I
    If you are talking technically better then yes Axel is technically better than Brian Johnson and Bon Scott.

Maybe better than Johnson but I beg to differ on Scott, one of the true great rock n roll voices.

adox wrote: »
    Maybe better than Johnson but I beg to differ on Scott, one of the true great rock n roll voices.

Best ever front man - and one hell of a lyric writter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

adox wrote: »

I said 'technically' better. ACDC is my favourite band by far and Johnson is my favourite singer but there is no doubt that Axel is technically better than him. And Johnson is technically a better singer than Bon Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Pub07 wrote: »
    And Johnson is technically a better singer than Bon Scott.

I just cant agree with you on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aces high5

AC/DC
    GNR all the way baby

Remember keep rocking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

AC/DC
    GNR gave us Coma therefore GNR > AC/DC

imo of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

AC/DC
    Sean_K wrote: »
    Led Zeppelin

Yes!

but for the sake of it I voted GnR

oooh 36 - 36

next vote counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Don't make me choooooosse :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Freddie Cork

AC/DC
    lord lucan wrote: »
    AFD/UYI

WTF are you trying to say, man?

Anyway, GNR (Appetite era) wins it hands down. Best Rock album of all time, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Ive seen both bands live, AC/DC (3 times) and GNR (twice).AC/DC are without doubt the best live band Ive ever seen. Their show at the point in 1991 is still the best show Ive seen.GNR in the RDS is the worst gig Ive ever been to. If they played in my back garden I wouldnt draw the curtains to watch them.Living for the 2 upcoming Irish AC/DC shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Axel is a joke and he's ginger.

AC/DC simply for the lyrics to Big Balls. thats a funny ass song

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

AC/DC
    As quiet rightly pointed out by various people, this vote is limited.

I am planning on starting up a new poll on Sunday 11th to find out the most popular rock band in the eyes of Boards members. As far as I am aware there are a max of 20 odd options that can be voted on in one poll.

I would welcome all nominations, and will be based on a first come first served basis. Of course we already have 2 spots taken by GNR and ACDC. As Led Zeplin and Metalica have already been mentioned on this thread they will also be included on the vote.

Please post any other nominations you would like to be considered.
    The vote will run from Sunday 11th to Sunday 18th.

In relation to the current vote, GNR vs AC/DC, this will end on Friday 09th. I would like for eveyone to continue commenting and voting, atleast up to this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

DUBISAK wrote: »
    I would welcome all nominations, and will be based on a first come first served basis. Of course we already have 2 spots taken by GNR and ACDC. As Led Zeplin and Metalica have already been mentioned on this thread they will also be included on the vote.

So if I say I want some crazy obscure band on the list it will be put on the list because I got there first, instantly making it one of the 20 most popular bands listened to by boards users?

Don't even bother wasting your time doing this. There's no way you can get even remotely accurate results.

Why do you want to do it anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

AC/DC
    Want to do it out of interest.

Its not the top 20 bands I am looking for it is the Top band. Whoever tops the poll, could be considered the best band, in the opinion of members. The other positions are of no real relevance.

I would imagine that 99% of members opinons on who is the best band would not be more than 20 individual bands.

If there are more than 20 I will eat my hat, oh no way wait I cant I already did. I lost a bet to a snake a few weeks ago. Dont trust snakes.

If nobody wants to nominate bands, its ok I shant bother with the poll I will just have to find some other way of keeping myself occupied.
    Finding that pesky snake might be a good start.

Advertisement