Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC or Guns and Roses

Options
  • 31-12-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

In order to find out which i sthe better band, I would like for not only all rock fans but all music fans to vote to put the issue to rest.

Who is better AC/DC or Guns and Roses 84 votes

Guns and Roses
    0%
    AC/DC
    100%
    Karl HungusMossy MonkVorrtexxtony 2 toneGibletrobz150smackbunnybabypodge3aphex™dcr22Btkyn22seanybikerJC 2K3HeadshotMalicecenaThe BolloxMotley Cruegally74smelltheglove 84 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

AC/DC
    Led Zeppelin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

AC/DC
    guns and roses obviously. Sure their the best band ever.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

AC/DC
    Im slightly a bigger fan of GNR then AC/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

There is no right or wrong answer. Neither is better. They both fall under the category of 'hard rock', but each have their own distinct sound and are over a decade apart in the rock timeline.

Maybe if you re-phrased it as 'which do you prefer', you might get some valid answers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

AC/DC
    I agree with this. It's hard to choose but for me, Guns N' Roses just shade it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

AC/DC
    which GN'R? the AFD/UYI line-up or the current bunch of hired hands?

AFD/UYI line-up wins for me,if it's overall GN'R then AC/DC win!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

AC/DC
    Keep the voting going.

We will base it on the GNR who released the Use Your Illusion albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

rolling stones ftw!

But being serious (ish) Muscially I'd say guns and roses are better than ac dc......

but ac dc are just a fun band.....so i prefer neither but I'd prefer to see ac dc than GNR if that helps

AC/DC
    DUBISAK wrote: »
    Keep the voting going.

We will base it on the GNR who released the Use Your Illusion albums.

GN'R for me then:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

AC/DC for me really. They're at the point of legendary status. And i love both bands, but as much as I enjoy all their albums, AC/DC to me have something that GNR have always lacked. Thats just my own personal opinion, and no disrespect to GNR at all. I just think AC/DC have stood the test of time whereas GNR have crumbled. Hence making AC/DC the better band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

AC/DC
    I prefer Guns n Roses TBH but i also like ac/dc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They may not be better in the technical sense (i.e. playing skill and the like), but I definitely prefer AC/DC tunes over GNR tunes on a subjective level.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

AC/DC

Plus one. Bickety bam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

AC/DC
    DUBISAK wrote: »
    Keep the voting going.

We will base it on the GNR who released the Use Yizzer Illusion albums.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Axl acting like a twat swings it for AC \ DC for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

AC/DC
    by far guns n roses. well the old line up. the new album its a bit heavier than the others. axels voice is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

No contest - AC/DC by a mile.
    Over 300 million albums sold.
    More songs, better songs, more albums, better albums.
    They have their own trademerk sound.
    Selling out staduims all over the world.
    Sill rocking after 35 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

AC/DC
    lord lucan wrote: »
    which GN'R? the AFD/UYI line-up or the current bunch of hired hands?

You do realise AC/DC have a new singer to when they started?

Guns N' Roses new album is much better and more interesting than AC/DC's new album, and in general they have more variation. Love both but GnR are my favourite band so have to go for them.

AC/DC
    You do realise AC/DC have a new singer to when they started?

and various other changes too,phil rudd out and then in,cliff williams was '77 or '78 i think when he joined. but over 35 years they haven't changed members much and bon scotts tragic death was an enforced change.

GN'R on the other hand is a well documented case that i'm not going to trawl through again in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gotta be AC/DC - a series of classic albums, a huge amount of absolutley classic tunes, they overcame the death of a very unique vocalist and acheived even more popularity, they're an institution. OK, they've been patchy for the last 20 years, but by that stage they'd delivered a wealth of solid gold rock music.

Guns, one classic album, one bloated doube disc overindulgence albeit with some undeniably classic tunes but with some serious filler too, the rest... well... the new album is ok, but it's not really the band, as such... and the less said about the Spaghettit Incident the better.

You've got Appetite Vs Powerage, If You Want Blood, Highway to Hell, Back In Black, Let There Be Rock, Dirty Deeds.... Appetite is a great album, a really great album, but it's only one album. AC/DC have delivered the goods more than once and that's why they get my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What that guy said. ^

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yep fully agree with Doc.

Its funny, I still refer to Brian Johnson as AC/DCs new singer even though hes been at the helm for 28 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

AC/DC
    Both bands were really great back in the day, and unfortunatly both bands have went downhill. If I was to chose I would definitly say I much prefer Guns N' Roses, mainly because the songs were more imaginative and well thought out, and less straight ahead hard rock than AC/DC.

AC/DC
    slightly OT but zavvi are selling off "powerage","for those about to rock(we salute you)" and "jailbreak 74" for €5/6 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭DUBISAK

AC/DC
    By looking at the comments, I am judging the opinion to be that GNR are techicaly amd musicaly the better band, through more varied and complex songs. AC/DC seem to be the more likable and admirable band through many years of giving people what they want. They seemed to have found a sound that works and kept with it.

I can understand someone who says they like AC/DC more than GNR, but I can not understand anyone who says AC/DC are a better band than GNR.

I liken it to footbal, at which I support Leeds United. I like Leeds Utd more than I like Manchester United. I would prefer to watch a Leeds United game than a Man Utd game. I buy Leeds Utd merchandise, I do not but Man Utd merchandise, but at the end of the day I must admit that Man Utd are the better team.

Like Cantona, Maradona, Gaza etc Axel Rose is a genius and incorrectly filled himself full of self confidence bloating his ego turning many rock fans against him. This seems to have led to nearly as many people liking the band as hating the band. But hate them or loved them you must admit that they are musically one of the finest.

This of course is my opinion, but none the less is correct and all should agree.....................

Please keep the voting going, and the comments rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Has to be AC/DC.

AC/DC's must have albums - High Voltage, If you want blood, Powerage, Dirty Deeds, Highway to Hell, let there be rock, back in black etc

Guns and Roses' must have albums - Appetite for Destruction

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

AC/DC
    Guns and Roses' must have albums - Appetite for Destruction
    :confused:
    You must be confused if you'd leave out Estranged, November Rain, Don't Cry, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Civil War and You Could Be Mine!

Doctor J was correct when he referred to the Use Your Illusion albums as bloated but there are some fantastic songs to be heard on them.

It's a bit like the old nursery rhyme: When Guns N' Roses songs were good they were very, very good but when they were bad they were horrid :).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Its an odd couple of bands to choose from, very random.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

AC/DC
    More songs, better songs
    You mean, the same song rewritten hundreds of times?

Ok, that's an exaggeration, but in general AC/DC bore the crap out of me due to their repetitiveness and lack of musical inventiveness. I love rocking out to an AC/DC song now and then, but couldn't listen to more than 2 songs in a row.

GNR are one of my favourite bands ever. They win hands down for me. UYI was bloated, but at least they did something different and came up with some absolutely stunning songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

+1 to what Doc said.

Advertisement