Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Ha. Ha.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭TvWatcher

humanji wrote: »
    It may have something to do with the fact that a lot of people involved in new shows really have come onto the site and pretended to be Joe Public praising the show.

It seems odd that so many casual readers of Boards who don't post in any forum (or even sign up an account) suddenly feel that they must register an account to voice their opinions on new comedy shows that are otherwise generally panned. Maybe it's paranoia, but experience has shown that RTE doesn't really show programs that are that good.

I think you have a fair point and everyone has the right to be suspicious of other people's motivations if that's the way they feel; my point is that if one says one likes anything at all, then the big finger of suspicion is wagged.

You feel that RTE don't produce anything good. For my part, I don't agree. I watch Prime Time most nights, I watch the Nine News every night, I listen to Morning Ireland every morning; I listen to Drivetime on radio 1 on my way home; I listen to the jazz show on RTE lyric fm every weekend; i watch oireachtas report as it relates to my job; i never miss questions and answers; i have watched and enjoyed most of the hidden history documentaries and all of the arts lives docs which I have recorded and kept; my mrs watches and likes the Clinic (i hate it, but there you go); my kids watch Den Tots for a half hour every morning as it provides a far more considered and educational service that CBBC or Nick Jr; for me, alot of RTE's output on radio and TV forms a significant part of my day and my day would be much the poorer without it. The programmes that seem to drive people bonkers on here (Colm and Thing Thing, Nitelive, etc etc) I either have not watched or watched once and didn't bother with again.

I think Elmo has the right idea. People on here tend to say EVERYTHING ON RTE/TV3 IS CRAP or, at the opposite end of the scale, a minority tend to over-praise to the point that it seems insincere. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle: alot of what RTE does is good, alot is poor. Some people like things, some people hate things. That's the way it should be. The problem for me is when people are attacked for liking something -- it seems counter to the spirit of what Boards.ie is about. I sound like Mary McAleese now, so I'll shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Leeby wrote: »
    Is it not possible that rather than being in the show themselves, maybe people watch these shows, find them good, decide to google them to look for clips or whatever and come across boards as it so often is the first website on a google search?

Anythings possible, but as I said before, history has shown that this site is exposed to a huge amount of spam and shills. It's a bizarre coincidence that so many new people join up in order to praise shows.
    TvWatcher wrote: »
    I think you have a fair point and everyone has the right to be suspicious of other people's motivations if that's the way they feel; my point is that if one says one likes anything at all, then the big finger of suspicion is wagged.

That's not true. Some regular posters have said they liked it and nobody accused them. It's the new accounts that crop up when ever a new show is broadcast that make people suspicious of the motives behind them.
    You feel that RTE don't produce anything good. For my part, I don't agree. I watch Prime Time most nights, I watch the Nine News every night, I listen to Morning Ireland every morning; I listen to Drivetime on radio 1 on my way home; I listen to the jazz show on RTE lyric fm every weekend; i watch oireachtas report as it relates to my job; i never miss questions and answers; i have watched and enjoyed most of the hidden history documentaries and all of the arts lives docs which I have recorded and kept; my mrs watches and likes the Clinic (i hate it, but there you go); my kids watch Den Tots for a half hour every morning as it provides a far more considered and educational service that CBBC or Nick Jr; for me, alot of RTE's output on radio and TV forms a significant part of my day and my day would be much the poorer without it. The programmes that seem to drive people bonkers on here (Colm and Thing Thing, Nitelive, etc etc) I either have not watched or watched once and didn't bother with again.

RTE do create some good shows. They just don't do comedy particularly well. That's the area I was focusing on. Granted, I implied RTE don't show good shows. Sorry about that. I meant that I didn't think any of the comedy shows were so good that people who've been reading Boards for a while, yet never created an account, would suddenly feel a desperate need to create an account and defend a show.
    I think Elmo has the right idea. People on here tend to say EVERYTHING ON RTE/TV3 IS CRAP or, at the opposite end of the scale, a minority tend to over-praise to the point that it seems insincere. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle: alot of what RTE does is good, alot is poor. Some people like things, some people hate things. That's the way it should be. The problem for me is when people are attacked for liking something -- it seems counter to the spirit of what Boards.ie is about. I sound like Mary McAleese now, so I'll shut up.

By the first line of that you're doing exactly what you've accused others of doing. There's a minority who give too much praise and there's a minority who slate everything. In between there's a huge amount of people who's opinions of shows are based on the shows themselves. And that's what the spirit of Boards is, ie lots of people with different opinions and different outlooks. That and cat pictures. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Apartment

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

nenners wrote: »
    Right, so if you're slagging something off you're authentic, if you're not, you're obviously in the show.

Nicely arrogant.

alright David, whats the craic with next monday night?;)

nenners, i think the the mods posted a few weeks ago about productions signing up new accounts, spamming the site with over the top praise and then dissapearing again
    apparently it is known to happen

Ps. If you check, i liked the show, so im not authentic either :eek:

This is suppose to be a public forum, is it not?

It seems more like, if you don’t whine on about how RTE is a waste of TV licence fee and how Chris Morris is a god, you’re accused of being a impostor. It’s ridicules and it doesn’t take place on any of the other forums.

McCarthyism is alive and well on boards.ie television forum.

How is such incestuous behaviour allowed, are these boards not meant to be moderated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

Okay I missed last nights, when's it repeated?
    ...and could someone give me a backstory of the group involved in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

humanji wrote: »
    By the first line of that you're doing exactly what you've accused others of doing. There's a minority who give too much praise and there's a minority who slate everything. In between there's a huge amount of people who's opinions of shows are based on the shows themselves. And that's what the spirit of Boards is, ie lots of people with different opinions and different outlooks. That and cat pictures. :)

Are you suggesting that I only ever praise RTÉ? Not Me :) I do have a tendency to but that because I know everyone else will slate RTÉ no matter what even when the do allot of good television.

I generally don't need to slate RTÉ look at the Colm and Jim Jim posts or even these posts.

As for TV3 TvWatcher must work for them :D dreadful rubbish, ok they did the apprentice.

vivadeadponies www.rte.ie/tv/projecthaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

then why i you posting here nobody criticised prime time, we were talking about rte comedy.

Apartment wrote: »
    This is suppose to be a public forum, is it not?

It seems more like, if you don’t whine on about how RTE is a waste of TV licence fee and how Chris Morris is a god, you’re accused of being a impostor. It’s ridicules and it doesn’t take place on any of the other forums.

McCarthyism is alive and well on boards.ie television forum.

How is such incestuous behaviour allowed, are these boards not meant to be moderated?
    Seriously, are you not even reading any of the posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Macmya

I don't even know why I’m setting myself up for the abuse that I’m sure is about to descend on me but for the record...
    I have absolutely no involvement in project ha ha or any of the people who are on it. I stumbled upon last week’s episode and wouldn't have watched this week only I remembered a friend showing me a couple of episodes of Dublin stories on the internet. When I saw they had made it to mainstream TV I was quite excited that I had seen them before and it's nice to see people who start off with such amateur beginnings end up on national television.....
    Wanting to know a bit more about their rise to stardom a came across boards and decided to join and give them a little support. Unbeknownst that people would read into a new user posting something (surely that would be the reason you join?! Because you want to voice your opinion on something??) After all of this I would be extremely hesitant to post anything, which is a shame because I'm sure other people would feel the same way....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

So how is RTE going to pick the ' winner ' from these pilots ? Presumably they'll have similar viewing figures....although McSavage , being a well known name/face , will probably draw a bigger audience....may God have mercy on our souls

If i was a new poster on here and had people asking me if i worked on the show I was positive about
    or
    Had a personal grudge against the show i was negative about
    AND
    Having had it explained about the shill accounts
    I would not get offended in the slightest, id make some form of poor attempt at humour and move on

From what I see thats what most new posters do if asked those kind of questions

All of a sudden lots of people are getting offended, extremly offended, by internet posters asking them if they work in television on a television forum?

Some claim to have been reading for ages and then posted for the first time (same way i posted on here first time)
    If they were reading for ages they would have surely seen the shill accounts?
    (i think various buildings IP addresses had to be blocked because of these accounts???)

Is this an attempt by RTE types to get negative threads closed down?:eek:

Shame because these negative posts are taking away from posts about a rather good show on monday night

ooh and a fine Mahoke to you all
    as SideShow Bob would put it

Im off to watch BBC, nothin on RTE, always rubbish:eek::rolleyes:

Macmya wrote: »
    I don't even know why I’m setting myself up for the abuse that I’m sure is about to descend on me but for the record...
    I have absolutely no involvement in project ha ha or any of the people who are on it. I stumbled upon last week’s episode and wouldn't have watched this week only I remembered a friend showing me a couple of episodes of Dublin stories on the internet. When I saw they had made it to mainstream TV I was quite excited that I had seen them before and it's nice to see people who start off with such amateur beginnings end up on national television.....
    Wanting to know a bit more about their rise to stardom a came across boards and decided to join and give them a little support. Unbeknownst that people would read into a new user posting something (surely that would be the reason you join?! Because you want to voice your opinion on something??) After all of this I would be extremely hesitant to post anything, which is a shame because I'm sure other people would feel the same way....

I have no affiliation with RTE or any other media, I’ve lurked on boards.ie for sometime. I was watching TV and browsing the internet and was genuinely impressed with This Night Live, it is the first Irish comedy show that has actually made me laugh. So I decided to make a post saying ‘it was better than I was expecting‘.

Then I come under suspicion, people accusing me of being involved in the show or that I am a friend of some one involved in the show.
    I mean do they seriously think that people involved in the show actually think right the show has just aired now we have to convince users of boards.ie that it is a good show. Do they actually think RTE cares what they think, I mean talk about delusions of grandeur.:eek:

The people that say the new posters are bogus are idiots and too far up their own behind to realise what idiots they are.

Macmya, you have every right to express your opinions with out being subjected to abuse and it's a shame that you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Okay I missed last nights, when's it repeated?
    ...and could someone give me a backstory of the group involved in it?

I think they get a repeat on Fridays... All I know of the group is that they're called Diet of Worms and have done quite a bit on the Irish comedy scene, and played Edinburgh Fringe. I've only seen them once, but they were hilarious when I say them. Different kind of comedy they perform on stage (sketch comedy) obviously... but their writing talents did show on the program.

I have no affiliation with RTE or any other media, I’ve lurked on boards.ie for sometime. I was watching TV and browsing the internet and was genuinely impressed with This Night Live, it is the first Irish comedy show that has actually made me laugh. So I decided to make a post saying ‘it was better than I was expecting‘.

Then I come under suspicion, people accusing me of being involved in the show or that I am a friend of some one involved in the show.
    I mean do they seriously think that people involved in the show actually think right the show has just aired now we have to convince users of boards.ie that it is a good show.
    They have done in the past!
    Apparently IP addresses banned and all that
    You could ask a MOD?
    Do they actually think RTE cares what they think,
    They should do!
    What with
    licence fee: they work for us!?
    & Ad revenue: if they dont get viewiers there in trouble
    I mean talk about delusions of grandeur.:eek:
    As i said its happened before
    And most of the whoareyou replies are all :D &:rolleyes: &:eek:
    on a forum
    hardly delusions of grandeur!?:eek:
    Macmya, you have every right to express your opinions with out being subjected to abuse and it's a shame that you can't.
    Yes he does!
    Im one for the 2 or 3 who replied to him/her
    Im the only one who gave him/her a long reply
    I didnt give him/her abuse!!!
    I made a joke, not a great joke, but funnier than most things ive seen on RTE over the last few years:D (that ones is for you;))
    The people that say the new posters are bogus are idiots and too far up their own behind to realise what idiots they are.
    Taking it quite serious yourself aint you?
    hardly the auld delusions of grandeur!?:eek:

I mean do they seriously think that people involved in the show actually think right the show has just aired now we have to convince users of boards.ie that it is a good show. Do they actually think RTE cares what they think, I mean talk about delusions of grandeur.:eek:

It was explained before, but look up the term "shill". And it's not RTE who would be arsed doing this, but the creators. And as I said before, it's happened before, many, many times.

WOW.. I was expecting to be ripped to pieces, left, right and centre. :pac:
    Okay I can kind of see where your coming from:), though I still think it’s a little obnoxious to assume.:p
    I don’t think I’ll be back, they don’t half bicker round here. Jezze Louise some people really go for it.:eek:
    Anyways thanks for your replies elshambo and humanji.:)

WOW.. I was expecting to be ripped to pieces, left, right and centre. :pac:
    Okay I can kind of see where your coming from:), though I still think it’s a little obnoxious to assume.:p
    I don’t think I’ll be back, they don’t half bicker round here. Jezze Louise some people really go for it.:eek:
    Anyways thanks for your replies elshambo and humanji.:)

Apartment,
    er picking fights?

The McCartyism stuff and the likes!? :eek:
    What was that about?

ooh and did you read the abuse Macmya got?

ooh and aaah :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 flannlmacgowan

elshambo wrote: »
    I think the mods are gonna have to bring in one of those stupid
    "ask to join things" like the soccer forum
    as the amount of 1st post, that was amazing about RTE programs is getting a bit tedious at this stage!?

Not saying the above 2 are:rolleyes: but they do look like off cuts from the first draft of a press release

Good to see they dont look down on the audiences intelligence:rolleyes:

It's understandable that you'd think that. In fairness though, since I started posting, I've been extremely critical of the dross RTE has shovelled at the viewer in the past, so it's unlikely that I'd be working for them now, isn't it? As for press releases for the Worms themselves, I must be some type of comedy strumpet, as I had good things to say about all of the recent efforts on RTE. As someone who has been constantly disappointed over the years by what has been passed off as humour - Katherine Lynch bouncing across the midlands on Stephen's Nights still makes me recoil in horror whenever I think about it - I was just happy to watch some programmes that, while rough around the edges, showed promise and didn't suck balls

Advice on writing and delivering press releases

1. Don't use the term 'didn't suck balls'. Use 'amazing', or 'innovative'.
    2. Don't do it anonymously on boards.ie!

But all that said, it's right to be sceptical. However, someone with two or three thousand posts could equally be working for Montrose. You'd have to analyze all their contributions to find out though. And if anyone has that type of time or inclination, the tragedy at the core of their beings would almost certainly be put to better used writing comedy for pilots

Advice on writing and delivering press releases

1. Don't use the term 'didn't suck balls'. Use 'amazing', or 'innovative'.
    2. Don't do it anonymously on boards.ie!
    You think that could be the reason my career in public relations went down the pan?
    (ooh and i didnt say it was a press release, i said it was like the first draft of a press release, as in, part of the unreleased version)
    But all that said, it's right to be sceptical. However, someone with two or three thousand posts could equally be working for Montrose.

Ahh but thats a shill who has put the effort in
    I like shills in general
    Its just the lazy, condecending, hawking a duck egg as if its a golden goose egg shills i dont have time for
    They give us shills a bad name!;)

Back on topic
    first week :eehhhh errr aahhhh it was eerrr aahhhhh eehhhhh
    second week: good (i figured where i saw the milk joke recently, ballygowan elevator advert, which was them i think?)
    third week: not gonna watch that fella, might come on and slag if off though :)
    seeing as im apparently one of those who hates RTE and everything on it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 deckydunbar

First of all, fair play to RTE for giving some genuine new talent a chance.

This is NightLive: main problem I think is that no-one likes that John Ryan guy, apart from himself. As most people said, 15 years too late. There were genuine gems on the ticker tape but that's about it. May work better on radio like BBC's "Huddlines".

Dead Cat Bounce: great production, stupid accents, decent comedy acting, great golf song BUT nothing else funny. Isn't it meant to be comedy? Zany, undergraduate humour. Obviously some talent here but not my cup of tea.

Diet of Worms: Watched it last night, and have heard they are decent. I was sorely disappointed. About as funny as cancer of the knob on your honeymoon. Again, better than expected acting but I didn't even raise a smile . Not once. The gay bloke in the couple was cringe-worthy, like the worst of Pauly Shore. Reminded me of the wit-free "Snack in the Mouth" ads, is it the same crowd?

Overall, someone mentioned the main problem area. These shows seem to have aired with the first script that came to hand. Note to RTE commissioner:watch Charlie Brooker's recent programme on comedy writing, it sometimes takes 50 drafts to get it right.

The McSavage thing looks no better next week. I see he was on the Late Late too last night using a joke he's been using since the mid-90s I'd say ("I was one of few at school who abused the priests!" - cue stupid guffaw from Pat).

Why can't Ireland produce decent comedy? Look at UK's output in the past few years: Peep Show, Early Doors, Smoking Room, The Visit, Fonejacker, Mighty Boosh, dozens more, even that Plus One thing on C4 at the mo' is better than any RTE comedy ever. Instead we get the above, The English Class, I Dare Ye et al. It's no surprise that best Irish comedy writer of the minute is plying her trade in the UK - Sharon Horgan. Maybe it's the acting talent? If her show Pulling was made and set here no doubt it would feature gormless acting from some no-mark from Fair City and Tommy Tiernan's talentless cousin, rather than the two excellent actresses on the actual show.

Rant over. So, why is Irish comedy on tv so bad? Is it the acting? Is it the lack of actual funny gags? Is is the zane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

The McSavage thing looks no better next week. I see he was on the Late Late too last night using a joke he's been using since the mid-90s I'd say ("I was one of few at school who abused the priests!" - cue stupid guffaw from Pat).

And we saw him dressed as Russell Brand rehashing that stupid joke about England raping Ireland again. I must have seen him telling that a million times. Muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gingerbox

does anyone know if macsavage is involved in langerland?....his show last night felt very similar, kind of same list format but with less laughs, maybe he should stick to the animation stuff.....his late late appearance was painful, he actually make's you feel for pat kenny.....bad as he is why his producers think it's fair that he should have to endure this guy is very odd...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

First of all, fair play to RTE for giving some genuine new talent a chance.

This is NightLive: main problem I think is that no-one likes that John Ryan guy, apart from himself. As most people said, 15 years too late. There were genuine gems on the ticker tape but that's about it. May work better on radio like BBC's "Huddlines".

Dead Cat Bounce: great production, stupid accents, decent comedy acting, great golf song BUT nothing else funny. Isn't it meant to be comedy? Zany, undergraduate humour. Obviously some talent here but not my cup of tea.

Diet of Worms: Watched it last night, and have heard they are decent. I was sorely disappointed. About as funny as cancer of the knob on your honeymoon. Again, better than expected acting but I didn't even raise a smile . Not once. The gay bloke in the couple was cringe-worthy, like the worst of Pauly Shore. Reminded me of the wit-free "Snack in the Mouth" ads, is it the same crowd?

Overall, someone mentioned the main problem area. These shows seem to have aired with the first script that came to hand. Note to RTE commissioner:watch Charlie Brooker's recent programme on comedy writing, it sometimes takes 50 drafts to get it right.

Why can't Ireland produce decent comedy? Look at UK's output in the past few years: Peep Show, Early Doors, Smoking Room, The Visit, Fonejacker, Mighty Boosh, dozens more, even that Plus One thing on C4 at the mo' is better than any RTE comedy ever. Instead we get the above, The English Class, I Dare Ye et al. It's no surprise that best Irish comedy writer of the minute is plying her trade in the UK - Sharon Horgan. Maybe it's the acting talent? If her show Pulling was made and set here no doubt it would feature gormless acting from some no-mark from Fair City and Tommy Tiernan's talentless cousin, rather than the two excellent actresses on the actual show.

Rant over. So, why is Irish comedy on tv so bad? Is it the acting? Is it the lack of actual funny gags? Is is the zane?

I have to agree with most of what you said but you forgot that the British have tones more comedy on the air much of which is rubbish only it gets sidelined due to the other great comedies coming from both the BBC and C4. But there are several series that have aired on both that really don't cut it.

Two Packet of Crisps...., Grown Ups, My Family, Last of the Summer Wine, Lab Rats, coupling etc.

I think the main reason is the writting as you say it needs to be re-written. I was at a lecture Graham Linean gave and he said he wouldn't work with someone who thought the First draft was brilliant or someone who refused to rewrite.

I don't think it is the acting, what we have see from each of these shows are comedians thinking they are actors. I know I will get killed for saying this but Dermot Morgan was a dreadful actor, good comedian but bad actor.

Sharon Horgan IMO isn't the greatest comedian. I didn't see pulling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is NightLive: main problem I think is that no-one likes that John Ryan guy, apart from himself.
    He;s not to bad in the roll, he plays a prat really well. There was just nothing funny in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mother says

Just saw a repeat of the Savage Eye. There was a lot of good stuff in there. He got some nice digs at some of our sacred cows, especially Mary Mc President. The priest running off with the kid was great. I can imagine the whole thing was done on a long week end for peanuts so I'd imagine with a bit of cash and some time to polish off sketches you could have something good. I think the problem in Ireland is that there are no comedy mentors. You climb the ranks of RTE by being the biggest lickarse possible not by being creative, thinking outside the box or slagging off the Plank Kenney's of the world.
    I dont think its fair to say any of these shows are crap since theyre essentially pilots and in america or england would never see the light of day even if they got a series(ever see the pilot of Seinfeld, its painful, Kostanza is just a straight rip of Woody Allen). Everyone in Ireland thinks theyre a comedian so they expect anything that comes on tv to be perfectly hilarious. We need more Radio comedy to give novice comedy writers a place to fine tune their shows before slapping them on tv. What ever happened to the likes of Scratch Saturday? That was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

definetly not going to be watching this

looking thru this thread that was dragged up again its funny to see how many of the:

"I dont work on the show and I thought it was amazing and all ye are just bitter"
    posters post counts have not moved since the show they thought was amazing was first aired:eek:

Funny that!:rolleyes:

We need more Radio comedy to give novice comedy writers a place to fine tune their shows before slapping them on tv.

YUP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I dont think its fair to say any of these shows are crap since theyre essentially pilots and in america or england would never see the light of day even if they got a series(ever see the pilot of Seinfeld, its painful, Kostanza is just a straight rip of Woody Allen).

Seems like mother doesn't always know best.
    If you knew anything about Seinfeld then you would know who Kostanza is based on, and its not Woody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mbarosin

mikom wrote: »
    Seems like mother doesn't always know best.
    If you knew anything about Seinfeld then you would know who Kostanza is based on, and its not Woody.

Jason Alexander played George very similar to Woody Allen especially in the opening few episodes. He's admitted this plenty of times.

Alexander only realised after a while that the character was supposed to be based on Larry David. And Mother is right, the Seinfeld pilot is piss poor compared to the rest of the series.

Anyway, McSavage is not funny, but you've got to admire his thick skin considering so many people hate him and he must know it.

Advertisement