Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Ha. Ha.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

nenners wrote: »

Dead Cat Bounce are one of the best things to come out of Ireland lately, as are Diet of Worms et al so a bit of support wouldn't go amiss...but then that would require a bit of thought.

no they arent. you are just saying that. back it up.
    i watched a few diet of worms things over a year ago and it was pretty ok. the crystal maze skit was good. aside from that it was alright at best.
    just because they are irish it doesnt make these comedy troops any use or 'the next big thing'. in fact the whole thing smells of cheap imitations of successful british comedy like The Mighty Boosh, Spaced etc.

at the end of the day, if its good - we will laugh. if it is just overhyped, over promoted, over rated tack then we wont... and we will slag it. then we will laugh at all the mock accounts that are created on boards to tell us they are good. surely if they were naturally good then those accounts wouldnt be needed? take a look at the nitelive thread to see shameless promotion in full effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how ma`ny shows and eps are in this project haha, they were all described as pilots or in developement. better then putting out a full series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

how may shows and eps are in this project haha, they were all described as pilots or developement. better then putting out a full series

similar format to channel 4's comedy labs thing... which are exceptionally bad(even the ones with people who go on to do decent things) so at the moment this is a success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

so at the moment this is a success.

thats a stark image for the future of irish comedy then :(

Jazzy wrote: »
    thats a stark image for the future of irish comedy then :(

here's a look at Ricky Gervais' Comedy Labs show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HmIbmvto-c&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 flannlmacgowan

I thought it was ridiculous to have a group who've been together for less than a year with a half hour long show.

So I watched it then; they seemed to do a decent job with the(almost certainly) miniscule budget and structured it very well... but still they've only been together for less than a year, some of those sketches could've had practically no fine tuning beforehand.

If Irish comedy really wants to progress it could stop being so inward looking and actually branch out into England a bit more... worked grand for them until that fabled comedy explosion of the mid/late 90s.[/quote]

They've been together for more than a year; in fact, they've been performing skits together since college, albeit under different names, such as H-BAM (Check out Graham and the Nazis on Youtube).

But you're right, branching out into England would also be a good idea (although in Ed Byrne's case it just perpetuated mediocrity in his act and encouraged him to rip off Pulp's Different Class album art for advertising his new show). The guys on Little Britain spent a long time developing their work on radio shows; we just don't have that here, but as it's where most fabled British comedy begins, the powers that be should look into it if they're serious about developing new talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

There needs to be a development at a basic level, not just chucking any old crap up on the screen. There's nowhere near the level of development on Irish shows that British shows have. And it's not about a lack of talent, it's about a lack of care and attention. As for the new crop of stuff that's being given a shot, at least the chance has been afforded to groups and individuals that have in some way being developing work over the past few years, instead of chucking money at crap like the Roaring Twenties.

It's not the comedians fault (apart from not being funny) but it's RTE's for not putting the best development structure in place.

The Roaring Twenties is Steve Staunton to RTE's FAI. Sure, he's inept but he shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place.

I'm not a fan of Dave McSavage in the slightest and I find Diet of Worms incredibly hit and miss but I reckon the fact, that after a couple of years developing, that they've been given a shot is a good sign.

Hopefully something good will come of it. Then again, when you've got 800, 000 or so people watching Killinaskully, the onus probably isn't on them to produce a new Irish comedy revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

here's a look at Ricky Gervais' Comedy Labs show:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HmIbmvto-c&feature=related

Difference is Channel 4 call their "comedy labs" stuff that for a reason
    RTE take the same sh*t and advertise it as "the greatest show on earth"
    if they advertised it as giving new talent a early looksee (which is pretty much how Channel 4 advertise theirs) nobody(less) would be complaining
    +Channel 4 put their lab stuff on at a suitable hour for such stuff, RTE give it comedy prime time while shows like Corner Gas rot away at 4 in the morning :(

+Channel 4 have the decency to have good shows as well as the lab stuff!
    As in real life, you can only really get away with Lab work when you have produced a bit of quality work to get the funding/goodwill ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭hot fuss

elshambo wrote: »
    +Channel 4 put their lab stuff on at a suitable hour for such stuff, RTE give it comedy prime time while shows like Corner Gas rot away at 4 in the morning :(
    QUOTE]

They're on at the same time... 11pm..

hot fuss wrote: »

They're on at the same time... 11pm..

The RTE show is shown in RTE's comedy "primetime" slot
    The CH4 one is not shown in CH4's comedy "primetime" slot!

you know what i meant, was there a reason for your post?:o:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

nenners wrote: »
    Thats as maybe...Be it Dead Cat Bounce or whoever, its the constant running down of Irish Comedy without ever giving it a chance that makes me mad. We could try and help Irish comedy grow and develop as it has been allowed to elsewhere.
    New and innovative irish comedians have enough barriers getting heard without having to deal with irrational and pointless slagging before they ever get going. To be honest, its a bit embarrassing.
    NO. that's how we breed super comedians. We make them tough. Like Spartans.

ScumLord wrote: »
    NO. that's how we breed super comedians. We make them tough. Like Spartans.

Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Difference is Channel 4 call their "comedy labs" stuff that for a reason
    RTE take the same sh*t and advertise it as "the greatest show on earth"
    if they advertised it as giving new talent a early looksee (which is pretty much how Channel 4 advertise theirs) nobody(less) would be complaining

+Channel 4 have the decency to have good shows as well as the lab stuff!
    As in real life, you can only really get away with Lab work when you have produced a bit of quality work to get the funding/goodwill ;)

that is how its been advertised. project haha

that is how its been advertised. project haha

Glad to hear it!

Not in the ad i saw though!:eek:
    (ooh and my post was a general dig at all recent rte comedy output, not just this show)

BTW I do think you have to be showing good stuff as well to get away with showing the "lab" stuff
    And the time slot/night they are showing it is supposed to be their headline comedy stuff and the whole night is advertised as such, NO?

Im glad RTE are doing shows like this even if i didnt like it
    Just wish they could commision something i like more than once every 10 years!:eek:

ohh and as for the scripts, edit edit edit edit
    not just write, spell check!:o
    or as in K Lynch's case, draw on napkin, show up, shoot:(

Most comedy show RTE commision looks like a decent idea ruined by not being scripted well enough

ooh wait you actually think i saw an add/thought the show was called
    "the greatest show on earth"
    err WOW!

Now that was a terrible, terrible show; no laugh track but had these huge silences after every joke where the laughing would've been placed to create this awful flat feeling to everything about it.

Now that was a terrible, terrible show; no laugh track but had these huge silences after every joke where the laughing would've been placed to create this awful flat feeling to everything about it.

aah ya, part of the humour, its a bit clever that show alright, not everyones cup o'tea, the auld clever stuff:eek:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lostdoggy999

aah ya, part of the humour, its a bit clever that show alright, not everyones cup o'tea, the auld clever stuff:eek:;)

I didn't get it. Am I broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

i saw their hotel room sketch show in edinburgh, thought it was fantastic show and was glad to hear they put together a pilot.

i thought the show got stronger as it went along and if they made another i'd watch it, which i would imagine is part of the point of a pilot.

I didn't get it. Am I broken?

possibly, check your warrinty, if thats run out, go back to the shop, you might just need rebooting
    i saw their hotel room sketch show in edinburgh, thought it was fantastic show and was glad to hear they put together a pilot.

i thought the show got stronger as it went along and if they made another i'd watch it, which i would imagine is part of the point of a pilot.

Id like to see RTE giving more opp's to lads like these, just when they get the chance tell yer mates to push for more money so they can tighten the scripts( edit edit edit:( ), shows like these are taken too easily by some acts (because the chances come so rarely in this country) and then done on a cheap RTE budget, cheaply made and its the acts in question who come out looking bad!:(

Not into the musical stuff myself unless its VERY VERY good, so I would probably never be their target audience. (others on here liked the big butt song, i turned off after it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I liked it. I didnt like the first scene with the hooker, but it got better, especially that xerox machine scene.

I'm all for new Irish comedy and hate the way its get automatically slated, just because its Irish. Programme makers and writers have to get a chance, things arent always instantly good, it takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

I dont understand why people take it personally when someone , rightly , slags off yet another bad Irish comedy show. I didn't spend an hour on Monday hoping I wouldn't laugh ! But the truth is ' This Is Night Live ' and the dead cat bounce thing weren't very good. Dead cat bounce was the better of the two and it was better than some of the dross on BBC 3....but is that enough ? When you are given the rare oppurtunity to make a pilot , surely you'd use your best material ? I think the main problem lies with whomever commissions this stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

biggest load of ****e i ever seen, and what was with all those english gentlemen accents ? utter muck, didnt laugh once.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is this repeated over the weekend? :rolleyes: Of course it's going to be repeated. What day is it repeated?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is this repeated over the weekend? :rolleyes: Of course it's going to be repeated. What day is it repeated?

You could go on the RTE website.

I am avoiding the whole project.

1. RTÉ need to develop programmes
    2. RTÉ need a team of writters on such projects
    3. RTÉ need researchers on such projects
    4. RTÉ need to allow for creativity, giving people small budgets and hoping they come up with the goods just doesn't work.
    5. I have given up, trying to watch.

Remember when RTÉ had some decent comedies in the late 1990s and early 2000s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tonight, I think.

Elmo wrote: »

I remember Paths To Freedom, if that's what you mean. That's the extent of it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I remember Paths To Freedom, if that's what you mean. That's the extent of it I think.

DFTG, The End (Kind of Early 1990s), even Fergal's Wedding was better then this muck, Batchelor's Walk (Comedy/Drama), even Love is the Drug was quiet watchable and easy going comedy, I liked Naked Camera (1st 2 seasons).

Just some interesting ones that you could expect on a Monday Night, that suited Monday Nights.

DFTG, The End (Kind of Early 1990s), even Fergal's Wedding was better then this muck, Batchelor's Walk (Comedy/Drama), even Love is the Drug was quiet watchable and easy going comedy, I liked Naked Camera (1st 2 seasons).

Just some interesting ones that you could expect on a Monday Night, that suited Monday Nights.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I only was passively watching This is Nightlive but comparing it to the Onion News Network shows that it hasn't hit the right parody news button. I can't remember the opening joke but I do remember that I was completely underwhelmed and felt that of all the material that should have hit home a "ha ha" or a snigger it should have been the opening line.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

You could go on the RTE website.

I am avoiding the whole project.

1. RTÉ need to develop programmes
    2. RTÉ need a team of writters on such projects
    3. RTÉ need researchers on such projects
    4. RTÉ need to allow for creativity, giving people small budgets and hoping they come up with the goods just doesn't work.
    5. I have given up, trying to watch.

No,refresh my memory.

Advertisement