Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Give him 10points

Options
  • 22-12-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

*RANT ON*
    Midday M50 Northbound.Traffic moving really slowly.Crash just after Ballymun.Garda jeep snaked its way thru the traffic.Remember Feck all of a hard shoulder so it wasnt an easy thing to do.Shortly followed by an ambulance which seem to get a lot more space but sitting up the arse of the ambulance following was a VW Bora (I think). I presumed it was an unmarked Garda car.Not far from me ambulance stopped,not at the accident, an ambulance technician hops out has a word with the driver and moves off agin.
    Up past the accident in front of the ambulance a Garda had the VW pulled in and hopefully writing a nice big ticket.
    I mean what a w**Ker driving the VW.catching a ride thru the traffic behind the ambulance.The emergency people have a tough enough job without that sort of crap.
    *RANT OFF*
    Anyway thanks for listening and stay safe over xmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I blame video games for this type of behaviour. Specifically Die Hard Trilogy. :D

Sounds like a typical selfish driver....... or an injury claims lawyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I did this once, it's a great way to get through traffic! I don't do queues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Darragh29 wrote: »

So you own the road do ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Follow me and you'll get stopped and arrested for obstruction, and delayed for as long as I can hold you before releasing without charge.

That's just plain arrogant and selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

JackFrosty wrote: »
    So you own the road do ya?

Well I presume he's paid his 'road' tax so yeah he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Think there are a few people who don't see the joke....

EDIT, Read further on the topic, you actually did follow the Emergency services... Thanks removed...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

House wrote: »
    Follow me and you'll get stopped and arrested for obstruction, and delayed for as long as I can hold you before releasing without charge.

Arrested for what, exactly?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Arrested for what, exactly?

The definition of obstruction is suitably vague for my purposes. :pac:

Following a patrol car on an emergency call through heavy traffic is hardly a wise course of action.

Quite the opposite one would imagine. Careless driving or dangerous driving can be added to the list if needs be. Would you prefer if we let people do such things and cause a danger to those at accident scenes?

The definition of obstruction is suitably vague for my purposes. :pac:

Following a patrol car on an emergency call through heavy traffic is hardly a wise course of action.

Quite the opposite one would imagine. Careless driving or dangerous driving can be added to the list if needs be. Would you prefer if we let people do such things and cause a danger to those at accident scenes?
    No, I completely agree that it's in society's interests to stop them. I was just wondering what lawful grounds you would have for arresting them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I want to add that the driver was literally sitting up the hole of the ambulance and was driving with ,obviuosly f*ck all consideration for everyone else on the road.If the ambulance had to stop suddenly as it was tight enough to pass as it was he would have smashed into them and in doing so prevented the crew getting to where they were needed.

• Advertisement

No, I completely agree that it's in society's interests to stop them. I was just wondering what lawful grounds you would have for arresting them?

Obstruction charge is quite good, as you have to deal with them before attending to the accident, or leave a member with them while another goes over to the crash scene.

It just adds to the delays and can be charged under careless driving or dangerous driving, especially when the scene is causing heavy traffic buildup.

Obstruction charge is quite good, as you have to deal with them before attending to the accident, or leave a member with them while another goes over to the crash scene.

It just adds to the delays and can be charged under careless driving or dangerous driving, especially when the scene is causing heavy traffic buildup.
    So why not go the whole way and charge them?

So why not go the whole way and charge them?

Simply put, there's a heck of a lot of work to do at accident scenes. I'd love to do it all, but manpower and available systems are just not there like they should be.

If I can get a dangerous driving/careless driving conviction, great.

Obstruction is a court appearance in this case and is not worth the time and effort as judges are reluctant to do anything about it.

Tell me this. How the f*ck can I be causing an obstruction for something that is in front of me???

What have I started.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Always one isnt there :D

I am that one!

Tell me this. How the f*ck can I be causing an obstruction for something that is in front of me???
    My guess is that the charge would be obstruction of traffic, Darragh, not the Garda car/ambulance.;)

My guess is that the charge would be obstruction of traffic, Darragh, not the Garda car/ambulance.;)

But didn't he say the traffic was stopped already anyway, by an already present obstruction!?! Hence why he would be charging me with following him, to get myself out of traffic??? It's difficult to see how that is causing an obstruction!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Just as an aside, I chased an ambulance through town once, it was a family member on board en route to the hospital, I'd my hazards on so it should have been a little obvious. It's not always a cheeky arsehole tailing the ambulance, sometimes there's a reason to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

But didn't he say the traffic was stopped already anyway, by an already present obstruction!?! Hence why he would be charging me with following him, to get myself out of traffic??? It's difficult to see how that is causing an obstruction!

Because you're giving the ambulance driver/Garda an unnecessary extra thing to worry about. You're making his job more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Please don't tell me you really don't see whats wrong with following a emergency services vehicle to skip traffic?

All it takes is one gobsheen to block the vehicle you are following and him stamping on the breaks for you to end up in the back of it. Hense causing a bigger problem. e.g. the ambulance that was on its way to get to the scene of an accident is now in an accident, causing more traffic chaos and a huge delay in getting an ambulance to the people that need it.

I would easily say dangerous driving could be chucked at you. But even if its not then there could be a darwin award in it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Probably obstruction of his duties rather than obstruction of the vehicle.

I did this once when I was stuck in traffic and I'm still alive. I wasn't driving dangerously, I wasn't obstructing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I did this once when I was stuck in traffic and I'm still alive. I wasn't driving dangerously, I wasn't obstructing anyone.

/facepalm

You might have dodged a bullet once when playing russian roullete, does not make it smart to play it.

kayos wrote: »
    /facepalm

You might have dodged a bullet once when playing russian roullete, does not make it smart to play it.

I told ya, I don't do queues! :D:D:D

Now Russian Roulette, that is dangerous!

A few points.
    Mr. Magnolia. A good point.thank you

Darragh.I said the traffic was moving very slowly.I also think you are a wummer and shouldnt be taken seriuously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

bcmf wrote: »
    I mean what a w**Ker driving the VW.catching a ride thru the traffic behind the ambulance.The emergency people have a tough enough job without that sort of crap.

This is a bit disingenuous. What that guy did had nothing to do with how tough the emergency people's job might be.

You are pissed off because he tried to steal a march on the rest of the traffic. Don't be trying to pass it off as some kind of high-minded objection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I told ya, I don't do queues! :D:D:D

Now Russian Roulette, that is dangerous!

What about revels roulette? Far more dangerous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement