Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

21 books this summer is not too over-ambitious, right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Namlub wrote: »
    21 books this summer is not too over-ambitious, right? Right?

God no! I often get through several books a week, so if you read anywhere near as fast, and have a lot of free time on your hands then you'll get through 21 in no time! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

Aoibheann wrote: »
    God no! I often get through several books a week, so if you read anywhere near as fast, and have a lot of free time on your hands then you'll get through 21 in no time! :)

I am such a slow reader it's embarrassing.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I am such a slow reader it's embarrassing.:o
    I like the space out my reading too so a book will last me a while, thanks to the lack of bookshops in this craphole. ¬_¬

Finished Imperium by Robert Harris, 'twas good stuff. Must read the sequel!

Gardens of the Moon, despite being the shortest in the series of those I've read (734 pages into House of Chains at the moment), took the longest by a good bit. Getting used to processing Erikson's style, especially his unwillingness to provide much (or even any, at times) background information, takes a while to get used to, I think.

Yeah, finished it just there, and it picks up pace ferociously at the end.

• Advertisement

Finished re-reading the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks, and The Black Prism (first part of a planned trilogy) by the same author. I really enjoy his style, also the books have magic, assassins, awesome swords (the first trilogy) and MORE magic - well, chromaturgy, it's associated with seven colours (the latter book). What more could you want?! :p

Back to re-reading The Lovely Bones, and then a collection of short stories/vignettes/novellas called Side Jobs (Jim Butcher). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

I've read 400 pages of Clash of Kings since yesterday. While at work...

I have to stop being obsessed with A Song of Ice and Fire.

No, you absolutely do not have to stop. You must continue with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I've read 400 pages of Clash of Kings since yesterday. While at work...

I have to stop being obsessed with A Song of Ice and Fire.

>.< I'm at 400 pages of A Game Of Thrones in about 5 days reading. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I'm not reading a thing. :'( Back in the day, I devoured books. Tore through them. I dunno why, but these days, I don't bother much. Last week, I read three books in three days because I was bored.

Will Grayson, will grayson - was OK. Wasn't a Leviathon fan.
    Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - meh. Had its moments, but a bit too hipster for me. :D
    Looking for Alaska - I'm on a John Green kick. I <3 him. Looking for Alaska seemed boring at first, but it's one of those books that stays with. A week later, quotes and content still play on my mind. :)

I have no plans to read anything else any time soon though. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Finished House of Chains. Now need to purchase the next 6 books, but have no money. Already suffering withdrawal symptoms. :(
    Guess I'll just reread ASOIAF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Excuse my ignorance.. BUT GAME OF THRONES IS A BOOK?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

Took me a while to get around to it but I finished The Catcher in the Rye there recently...I'd stopped and started a good few times, because I always wanted to smash Holden's teeth in, but I actually found myself liking it toward the end, and it proved that perseverence does pay off! :p

marko93 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance.. BUT GAME OF THRONES IS A BOOK?

It's the first book (of a promised seven) in one of the best fantasy series ever, A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R.R. Martin. The fifth book is out on July 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The Remains of the Day is beautiful and sad and amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Going to tear into Ulysses (as much as Ulysses can be torn into :pac:) when I finish it. :)

Thinking of giving A Song Of Ice And Fire a look too, I take it it's highly recommended? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Going to tear into Ulysses (as much as Ulysses can be torn into :pac:) when I finish it. :)
    It's been nice knowing you! :(

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Going to tear into Ulysses (as much as Ulysses can be torn into :pac:) when I finish it. :)

Thinking of giving A Song Of Ice And Fire a look too, I take it it's highly recommended? :D
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Why would anyone willingly read Ulysses? I tried Finnegan's Wake once, for the craic, after I abandoned Ulysses. Only compounded my dislike of Mister Joyce. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Skintwin

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Why would anyone willingly read Ulysses? I tried Finnegan's Wake once, for the craic, after I abandoned Ulysses. Only compounded my dislike of Mister Joyce. :D

The Dubliners is quite enjoyable though!

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Yeh I should just work on getting through books more quickly. Spending less time on boards might help >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭WillyWaggler

I just finished 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus. It honestly has changed my perspective on life. I'm getting really into his philosophy of Absurdism.

Going to go read his essay on Absurdism, 'The Myth of Sisyphus', now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I started reading 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' the other day on the bus, and I'm hooked. I'm certain he got a payoff from Apple however.

I just finished 'The Outsider' by Albert Camus. It honestly has changed my perspective on life. I'm getting really into his philosophy of Absurdism.

Going to go read his essay on Absurdism, 'The Myth of Sisyphus', now.
    Love that book so so so much. I just love him in general, really...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

almostnever, definitely give Ulysses a go, but don't expect to not get completely lost a few times! It's wonderful, and definitely worth it.

I was reading Skippy Dies, but left it in a friend's car, and I won't see him again until, like, August. SICKENED! Horrific, really... this means I'll have to restart it by the time I get it back, and it also means I don't really *want* to start something new now. One of the worst possible things life could've thrown at me, really.

I'm considering reading Dubliners, as it's been beside my bed for a while. Other possibilities include "One Day" by David Nicholls, because I've yet to hear a bad report about it, and it's sitting in my house or "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding, as I've never actually read it and it's one of those classic must-reads, apparently. GUIDE ME GAIZZZZZZ!

bythewoods wrote: »
    almostnever, definitely give Ulysses a go, but don't expect to not get completely lost a few times! It's wonderful, and definitely worth it.

I'm considering reading Dubliners, as it's been beside my bed for a while. !

Reading Ulysses before Dubliners... Ya rebel! You should definitely read Dubliners, it has some of the best short stories I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

bythewoods wrote: »

I was reading Skippy Dies, but left it in a friend's car, and I won't see him again until, like, August. SICKENED! Horrific, really... this means I'll have to restart it by the time I get it back, and it also means I don't really *want* to start something new now. One of the worst possible things life could've thrown at me, really.

I'm considering reading Dubliners, as it's been beside my bed for a while. Other possibilities include "One Day" by David Nicholls, because I've yet to hear a bad report about it, and it's sitting in my house or "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding, as I've never actually read it and it's one of those classic must-reads, apparently. GUIDE ME GAIZZZZZZ!

Lord of the Flies is great, a definite must-read. Never read the whole book but I didn't like the two or three Dubliners stories that I read; I'll be honest and say that I found them incredibly dull.

Looking forward to Ulysses though, I think it comes up in college next year so I had planned to buy it and start it this summer but I dunno if I will now, already have about a dozen books on my to-read list.

Looking forward to Ulysses though, I think it comes up in college next year so I had planned to buy it and start it this summer but I dunno if I will now, already have about a dozen books on my to-read list.

I was lazy and opted for Dubliners and Portrait, as I'd already read them. I regret nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

It's the first book (of a promised seven) in one of the best fantasy series ever, A Song Of Ice And Fire by George R.R. Martin. The fifth book is out on July 12th.
    This sounds amazing.
    How many pages is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I was lazy and opted for Dubliners and Portrait, as I'd already read them. I regret nothing.

Might give The Dubliners another go in time since I have the book. Portrait sounds good but I always wanted to read Ulysses so I'll probably choose that.

Advertisement