Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

dingding wrote: »
    Was passing Casa Mia this evening and they thanked their customers for their custom over five years and that they had closed.

It's a shame, I wonder what made them decide to close it's doors for good??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

It's looking more like Korona restaurant is closed for good and not maintainance work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It's looking more like Korona restaurant is closed for good and not maintainance work.

It was never really open in fairness....

It was never really open in fairness....
    The couple of times that I had lunch in there it was pretty good. They must have been the couple of days that it was open.

• Advertisement

The Fairgreen in Skreen seems to be closed for good. No mention on their Facebook page but the whole building is now up for rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Exhibit in the Quayside (near DEALZ) looks like its closed (I might be wrong) - Unique Gifts (near Yum Yums) in the Quayside looks like its closing soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Exhibit is closed I can confirm that.

Unique gifts closing down. Due to rent with new management running the centre as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Jeez, I tell ya these greedy landlords are ensuring that Sligo is rapidly becoming The Northwests "pop-up" Coffee Parlor Capital...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Isn't the quayside owned now by a US vulture fund concern so they will bleed the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I know an American company bought Carraroe Retail Park. Can't confirm for Quayside. Will do a bit of digging to find out. Only been referred to as new owners so far. I know they're being very particular though from every avenue such as revenue, security, H&S, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In the Quayside the other Day, the Mezzanine level looks awful. Am also quite surprised that the hairdressers and barbers moved up there from the lower level they were on. They looked quite tucked away in the corner, and you would nearly miss them, compared to their previous location across from TKMaxx.

I always feel like I'm in this painting when I'm in Quayside :)
    Escher__Relativity_611_586_s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I know an American company bought Carraroe Retail Park. Can't confirm for Quayside. Will do a bit of digging to find out. Only been referred to as new owners so far. I know they're being very particular though from every avenue such as revenue, security, H&S, etc.

More than likely another vulture fund. Now to see if the rents sky rocket for the current occupants...

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    In the Quayside the other Day, the Mezzanine level looks awful. Am also quite surprised that the hairdressers and barbers moved up there from the lower level they were on. They looked quite tucked away in the corner, and you would nearly miss them, compared to their previous location across from TKMaxx.

thought the same, very tucked away - why didnt they move to near the doors to the car park level where the cafe and pound shop was I wonder? - maybe not big enough space

littlejp wrote: »
    I always feel like I'm in this painting when I'm in Quayside :)
    Escher__Relativity_611_586_s.jpg

This is what it reminds me of, it's from the film Being John Malkovich.

This is what it reminds me of, it's from the film Being John Malkovich.

FYP :)

408918.JPG

408918.JPG

Cheers Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

408918.JPG

I'm not that tall, but even I find my self ducking sometimes going through there.

:D

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'm not that tall, but even I find my self ducking sometimes going through there.

:D

even if your not tall the ceilings are so low in them parts, very claustrophobic - not a good designed shopping centre that really and dont get me started on the 'walking through next' to get to the other part of the centre where yum yums is etc ...

• Advertisement

It was a terrible design no flow you would get better from first year architect students on their first week in collage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

What would happen if there was an emergency/fire? We who (kinda) know the building would be hard put to get out but can you imagine if you were a stranger to the centre and had to get out in a hurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

KatyMac wrote: »
    What would happen if there was an emergency/fire? We who (kinda) know the building would be hard put to get out but can you imagine if you were a stranger to the centre and had to get out in a hurry?

I don't know if you were there 18 months ago or so when there was a full 24 hours of heavy rain and it started coming down from the roof through the staff lift at the back and down through light fittings. There was pandemonium because its the main emergency exit route for TK Maxx and that floor. TK Maxx staff were directing customers out there and the shopping centre staff were sending them back in, then they cancelled the alarm before starting it again, at which point staff in the shops were telling everyone that it was a false alarm!

Re: the low ceilings - I remember a TK Maxx manager saying back when they got their refit that they took up the old flooring and the floor was marked out for carpark spaces underneath!

I don't know if you were there 18 months ago or so when there was a full 24 hours of heavy rain and it started coming down from the roof through the staff lift at the back and down through light fittings. There was pandemonium because its the main emergency exit route for TK Maxx and that floor. TK Maxx staff were directing customers out there and the shopping centre staff were sending them back in, then they cancelled the alarm before starting it again, at which point staff in the shops were telling everyone that it was a false alarm!

Re: the low ceilings - I remember a TK Maxx manager saying back when they got their refit that they took up the old flooring and the floor was marked out for carpark spaces underneath!

Oh my God - wow ! - never knew/heard of this! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I worked on the apartments on top of that complex back around 99 00. The site was a disgrace. Before the walls were painted or tiled there were cracks appearing. I shudder to think what they are like now.

I actually was in one a few years ago huge cracks it was for sale cheap too if I remember but poorly built in my oppinion

I actually was in one a few years ago huge cracks it was for sale cheap too if I remember but poorly built in my oppinion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I was in one of them years ago, probably around 2004, and it was sooo cold! No insulation I'd say. Weird design/layout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

dee_mc wrote: »
    I was in one of them years ago, probably around 2004, and it was sooo cold! No insulation I'd say. Weird design/layout too.
    Did you see the semi circular shower. I tried to tile a few of them. We were sent back to do a load of snagging because tiles were falling off left right and centre. It turned out the plastering was botched and the builders tried to put the blame on us. The plasterers were gone back north of the border never to be seen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭dee_mc

sligojoek wrote: »
    Did you see the semi circular shower. I tried to tile a few of them. We were sent back to do a load of snagging because tiles were falling off left right and centre. It turned out the plastering was botched and the builders tried to put the blame on us. The plasterers were gone back north of the border never to be seen again.

Haha, I think I remember a normal angular shower but a few of the tiles had popped off alright!

Advertisement