Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Vlove wrote: »
    Knox seem to be always closed, it was nice little cafe :/

It still is a nice little cafe, was in it on Sunday. I think it is closed on Mondays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Knox seem to be always closed, it was nice little cafe :/

Be assured that Knox on OCS is open and trading.

http://www.knoxsligo.ie/#home

"We are Knox - a small independent owner-run all day eatery on Sligo's O'Connell Street (no.32).

We are open Tues & Wed (9am - 5pm), Thurs - Sat (9am - 5pm & 6pm - 10pm) & Sunday (10am - 5pm) We close on a Monday (we need sleep too!!)."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It still is a nice little cafe, was in it on Sunday. I think it is closed on Mondays though.

ooh its like being transported back to the 90's Sligo town when quite a few places closed their doors on a Monday - wouldnt expect it in this day and age though, but there you go you cant tell people how to run their own business :)

Anyone remember A.H. Woods - great little DIY place where Heatons is now. - I think though that used to shut all day Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Yeah. And I remember their prices too

sligojoek wrote:
    Yeah. And I remember their prices too

I don't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

ooh its like being transported back to the 90's Sligo town when quite a few places closed their doors on a Monday - wouldnt expect it in this day and age though, but there you go you cant tell people how to run their own business :)

Anyone remember A.H. Woods - great little DIY place where Heatons is now. - I think though that used to shut all day Monday.

Was it not Wednesday?

prodsc wrote: »

Was it not Wednesday?

it might have been - me mind is foggy ... someone/some places used to close Monday though, was it moffits or blackrock or some place(s) like that

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't...
    One example.

One day I went to measure up a job and committed the mortal sin of forgetting my measuring tape. Time was tight so I ran in to Woods' nd grabbed the cheapest 25 foot one on the shelf for £12. A few days later I saw the exact same tape in NCF for £7. Shudda gone to Mary's of China but I was new in town at the time and thought they just sold ornaments and tat.

i bought some marble self adhesive effect contact / fablon from woodsies (as I used to call it) £1.50 a yard and put it on some hardwood around a disused fireplace and people used to say "oh I love your marble fireplace!" it really looked to real deal ..... until you touched it.

That shop though like most other shops, some things dearer than they should have been but some stuff same price or cheaper - handy shop though, and where it was situated.

Went for an interview once with the old man that owned it when i first moved to Ireland- didn't get the job though LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

sligojoek wrote: »
    One example.

One day I went to measure up a job and committed the mortal sin of forgetting my measuring tape. Time was tight so I ran in to Woods' nd grabbed the cheapest 25 foot one on the shelf for £12. A few days later I saw the exact same tape in NCF for £7. Shudda gone to Mary's of China but I was new in town at the time and thought they just sold ornaments and tat.

Nothing new there then. Though, I wouldn't expect accuracy in measurement from marys

• Advertisement

Vitto's hasn't been open for the last few evenings....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Vitto's hasn't been open for the last few evenings....

They'd be no loss if they were gone. Ate there once and it was awful. We ended up laughing about it it was so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

mewe wrote: »
    They'd be no loss if they were gone. Ate there once and it was awful. We ended up laughing about it it was so bad.

If it's gone, would that not make it the 3rd business to close at that premises in a year?

If it's gone, would that not make it the 3rd business to close at that premises in a year?

any suspicious people out there think certain buildings hold certain bad vibes? :D - pity the next person to take on the place if Vitto's are going

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

The hairdressers in where Wallis used to be hasn't been open all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭the_wabbitt

Rumours abound that HOMEBASE is been taking over by an Australian Hardware Giant called BOWENS, what reflection it will have on the jobs / store remains to be seen, but initial reports are that all are safe.

W

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Rumours abound that HOMEBASE is been taking over by an Australian Hardware Giant called BOWENS, what reflection it will have on the jobs / store remains to be seen, but initial reports are that all are safe.

W
    No loss anyway, Homebase is too expensive. However if Homebase does I hope someone does take over, Bowens or someone else. Last thing the town needs is another 20-30 job losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

W
    They've been under ownership of Wesfarmers for the past 6 months... this is just rebranding as Bunnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Slideways

The rumour in Aus was that homebase would take over Masters which was Bunnings only real competition here but is going out of business here this month

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 507 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Polish shop off o Connell street green forest seems to be gone too:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Bank wanted to sell this property so they put rent up.

loki7777 wrote: »
    Bank wanted to sell this property so they put rent up.

Which property?

The one that polish shop was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

The Ballisodare clothing store is gone, it has "To-Let" signs all over the windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Which property?

I presume it's tobergal lane. There are 6 streets off O'Connell street but that's the only one I know that has a polish shop
    The Ballisodare clothing store is gone, it has "To-Let" signs all over the windows!

Is that Clancy's old shop on main street that had a cafe at the back?

I presume it's tobergal lane. There are 6 streets off O'Connell street but that's the only one I know that has a polish shop

Exactly this one https://www.google.pl/maps/place/The+Polish+Shop+Green+Forest,+Tobergal+Ln,+Abbeyquarter+North,+Sligo,+Irlandia/@54.271127,-8.475058,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x485ee83465320799:0xc32d6968f90e6159

W

Wow, was in homebase sligo yesterday, some of the offers are phenomenal, just to name a few things, pine interior doors for a tenner, touch lamps under 6quid and outdoor halogens (with pir I think) 2.50eur. Massive knock downs at the moment on loads of stuff. I dont work for then, I just thought I would mention it on here if anyone looking for a bargain at the moment seeing as I have just read this on boards that they have been taken over.

any suspicious people out there think certain buildings hold certain bad vibes? :D - pity the next person to take on the place if Vitto's are going

All Vitto's signage now gone....there is a note on the door saying that it is reopening under new management and there are people in doing work in the kitchen!!

All Vitto's signage now gone....there is a note on the door saying that it is reopening under new management and there are people in doing work in the kitchen!!

It and RB hair gone off O'Connell Street in one week. This town has gone to s***😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that Vittos rent is 57,000 pa, or 1,100 approx per week, I am not surprised they face difficulties.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Rents are way too high

Advertisement