Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    They weren't making any profits ang more. Trading was very bad. Just about covered runninv costs.

Ah that's a shame, where did you find out about this or do you know someone who works there?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

DenMan wrote: »
    I was in town this afternoon (Wine St car park @1pm) and noticed Home Proud and the fish mongers next to them had the shutters down. I hope they are not closing down.

I think there's normally a notice in the window saying th fish monger so is closed on a Monday

As for home proud is it open half the time? More times than not I see the shutters down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Vlove wrote: »
    Ah that's a shame, where did you find out about this or do you know someone who works there?

Knew someone working there. They just couldn't keep up with how swiftly the industry has changed due to streaming/netflix.

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Knew someone working there. They just couldn't keep up with how swiftly the industry has changed due to streaming/netflix.

Aw gosh, I say they'll be devastated when they leave the job :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Personally, I think comm rents are too high in Sligo.

The lease on Connollys pub is 800 per week.

I pass on Mon /Tue nights, and it can be very quiet, so 800 pw on top of rates, wages, overheads seems too much.

The owner of Source is asking 200,000 in rent.

That's nearly 17,000 pm, or nearly 4,000 per week.

I have walked along OCS on Sat at 9:45am and the street was very quiet. Asking 200k pa is greedy, or delusional.

O'Connor's restaurant on OCS, formerly Bistro Bianconi, is advertised asking 60k pa, or 5k pm.

Again, I feel that's too high.

I wonder what rents are like in UK or France, in towns with 20,000 people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

Very bad news for the town and Business park. 100 jobs gone at Elanco

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/loss-of-100-jobs-in-sligo-717731.html

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

This has to be rock bottom for Sligo. Something has to be done with getting investment into the county. So sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Man11

Is it Argos ye are on about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

Man11 wrote: »
    Is it Argos ye are on about

Not that rumour again?

Previous poster was talking about Finisklin I presume!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Aw gosh, I say they'll be devastated when they leave the job :(

Not really. They had another job lined up. And management in xtra vision was less than acceptable in.my experience as a customer and from rumours I heard behind the scenes. Anyone working there knew it was a matter of time going under.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

There was an interview about this on Ocean FM this morning. Talking about some task force that was supposed to be set up the last time this happened in Sligo.

Found myself, cautiously, agreeing with the head of the chamber of commerce. No more talking, something needs to change. Every time it seems we've hit rock bottom, something else closes.

Tony McLoughlin and John Perry our two sitting government TDs these guys haven't done a lot to help and they are in government should they be reelected I think no.

I think business closeures and lack of investment are key issues on the doorsteps over the next few weeks.

The people of Sligo need a voice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Employment prospects in the town/county now are at rock bottom. I saw a recent survey where sligo has the most unoccupied commercial premises in the country. Very grim times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

And tony with posters on the back of the buses saying keeping the recovery going. He must live in his own world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There was an interview about this on Ocean FM this morning. Talking about some task force that was supposed to be set up the last time this happened in Sligo.

Found myself, cautiously, agreeing with the head of the chamber of commerce. No more talking, something needs to change. Every time it seems we've hit rock bottom, something else closes.

The group that have done their damnedest to hinder any potential improvement shouldn't be listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Did you listen to the interview? I've posted many times here about the chamber, their influence and them blocking what's best for the town as opposed to themselves.

The interview was interesting and raised some good points in regards to rhetoric, false promises and nothing being done about job creation. Whether or not you agree with who the message was delivered by, it was worth a listen.

https://soundcloud.com/oceanfm/sligo-chamber-ceo-claims-jobs-minister-gave-misleading-employment-stats-nwt-fri-29th-jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I heard today the Swagman was closing down, health inspector was in and is shutting them down next week.
    I pointed out how fookin stupid and flawed this story was.
    A simple check of the FSAI website would show this story to be incorrect and, in any case, me thinks thats not how the health inspector works.
    It just shows how whispers and rumours and damaging stories spread about a good honest business. Crazy and very unfair.:mad:

I heard today the Swagman was closing down, health inspector was in and is shutting them down next week.
    A simple check of the FSAI website would show this story to be incorrect and, in any case, me thinks thats not how the health inspector works.
    It just shows how whispers and rumours and damaging stories spread about a good honest business. Crazy and very unfair.:mad:

Can I ask who you heard it from? Where you in Swagman?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Can I ask who you heard it from? Where you in Swagman?

I detect some slight Sarcasim in Radharc na Sleibhte post, in that he is giving an example of how rumours start in light of other posts re The Swag on this thread. With out even having to look at the FSAI website, i doubt health inspector would say we are cloing you in a week, it would either be closed there and then, or be told you need to improve this, or I will close you on my next visit.

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong and he was infact told of this, but his argument still stands on how easily a rumour starts.

• Advertisement

No, no, sorry, my post wasnt clear.
    A friend said to me he heard that Swagman was "going to be shut down by the health inspector next week".:rolleyes:
    Obviously any rational thinking body would know such a story was flawed in so many many ways, but yet a couple of people with mouths bigger than brains start off a chinese whispers story and get the ball rolling. I dont even like posting that and giving it legs because its not fair.
    Its hard enough for a business to make a decent turnover in this town.

Again, to reiterate, we all know this story is FALSE, obviously, i was only showing an example of how stupid rumours doing the rounds get a life of their own and could damage a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

No, no, sorry, my post wasnt clear.
    A friend said to me he heard that Swagman was "going to be shut down by the health inspector next week".:rolleyes:
    Obviously any rational thinking body would know such a story was flawed in so many many ways, but yet a couple of people with mouths bigger than brains start off a chinese whispers story and get the ball rolling. I dont even like posting that and giving it legs because its not fair.
    Its hard enough for a business to make a decent turnover in this town.

Again, to reiterate, we all know this story is FALSE, obviously, i was only showing an example of how stupid rumours doing the rounds get a life of their own and could damage a business.

You "don't like posting it" but you still posted it in Stores Closing in Sligo. Nice one. By any chance do you and Vvlove drink together?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just to get a bit away from The Swagman rumour..

.. was walking down O Connell Street today around 3pm for the rugby.

Both Hargadons and McGarrigles were closed (before anyone jumps the gun, I'm sure it's temporary / for a reason) but still a bit strange to see O Connell Street without one pub open.

sligoblue wrote: »
    You "don't like posting it" but you still posted it in Stores Closing in Sligo. Nice one. By any chance do you and Vvlove drink together?

Nice one? Who's vlive? Is this some Sligo celeb I should know?

I was explaining a story which showed how easily rumours can get legs and next thing appear as fact. I'm hardly going to start a new thread. Anyway, just hit ignore there and mute me, like a good lad.

Basq wrote: »
    Both Hargadons and McGarrigles were closed (before anyone jumps the gun, I'm sure it's temporary / for a reason) but still a bit strange to see O Connell Street without one pub open.

Anyone know why they're closed? Is the Irish House gone now too, yeah? Closed when Brodericks did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I heard Shane Filan is supposed to be involved in a revamp and reopening of The Irish House. Could be total rubbish, it didn't come from the horses mouth or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

McGarrigles doesn't usually open until 4/5 on a Sunday.

Many pubs in Sligo do not open on Sun afternoon. This has been the case for many years.

Example: Hargadons, Shoots.

And probably more.

I have often asked myself, why don't they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

Geuze wrote: »
    Many pubs in Sligo do not open on Sun afternoon. This has been the case for many years.

Example: Hargadons, Shoots.

And probably more.

I have often asked myself, why don't they open?

If it was worth their while they would open. It's obviously not profitable so no point.

• Advertisement

I suppose that's the reason, yes.

Of course, O'Neills is open from 12:30.

Advertisement