Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Basq wrote: »
    Cross Sections is closing down too I see.

They were covering the windows in brown paper tonight, passed earlier and there was not much stock left.

Sale is probably over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

dingding wrote: »
    They were covering the windows in brown paper tonight, passed earlier and there was not much stock left.

Sale is probably over.

hmmm Sale?!? - sounds like it was over before it begun, i didnt hear of a sale - still though its a shame its shutting, its a shame when any places has to shut down but even worse for a place that has been located there what seems like forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

red sean wrote: »
    Heard before Xmas that Homestore had taken a big effect on it.

Heatons & TK Maxx more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

And with that, Cross Sections closed. Hoped it might have been still open today, but no.

so have i got this correct if the rumour is true that Homestore and more have been told they cannot sell kitchen utensils any more because of that (stupid!) plan in place up in the retail park of what items shops up there cannot/arent allowed to sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

so have i got this correct if the rumour is true that Homestore and more have been told they cannot sell kitchen utensils any more because of that (stupid!) plan in place up in the retail park of what items shops up there cannot/arent allowed to sell?

Tbh, I thought they were told that months ago, along with other smaller items, ie, none bulky, but yet they continue to do so.

:confused:

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Tbh, I thought they were told that months ago, along with other smaller items, ie, none bulky, but yet they continue to do so.

:confused:

Ha well of course I was forgetting Homebases screws and nails are classed as bulky items :rolleyes: - thats another thing what is silly about that plan in place - where do you draw the line as to what they can sell up there!

I hope we dont see Homestore and more shut down then because of this rule, but one of the main core of their business is kitchen items (small as well, not bulky ones!) and if they told they can no longer sell them then i can see them going too and another one bites the dust... such a shame :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know why exactly did Homestore + More stopped selling Yankee Candles? Considering Homebase were selling them over Christmas? Bizarre!

Fully expect Homestore + More to leave within a few months considering all these restrictions placed on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

From what I understand, the objection to Homestore selling small kitchen accessories came from their neighbour Homebase.
    Homebase are entitled to sell them as they sell actual kitchen units and accessories are therefore allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Basq wrote: »
    Anyone know why exactly did Homestore + More stopped selling Yankee Candles? Considering Homebase were selling them over Christmas? Bizarre!

Fully expect Homestore + More to leave within a few months considering all these restrictions placed on them...

When all the Yankee Candles are gone....... they're gone.

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    When all the Yankee Candles are gone....... they're gone.

you gotta admit some of those Yankee candles smell proper rank!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

You have to wonder what right anyone has to tell a shop what they can and cannot sell. It is an absolute outrage. If your business cannot survive due to competition, that is just tough luck. All the measures so far have done nothing to help, if anything its just made the matter worse and they risk losing more commercial shops.

In Northern Ireland many B&Q stores have had to close, the one in Derry sold everything at 50% off, everything is sold apart from a few nasty rolls of wallpaper. That is just how it works, if you cannot survive you close.

You have to wonder what right anyone has to tell a shop what they can and cannot sell. It is an absolute outrage. If your business cannot survive due to competition, that is just tough luck. All the measures so far have done nothing to help, if anything its just made the matter worse and they risk losing more commercial shops.

In Northern Ireland many B&Q stores have had to close, the one in Derry sold everything at 50% off, everything is sold apart from a few nasty rolls of wallpaper. That is just how it works, if you cannot survive you close.

totally agree - business should not be dictated to like this and ALL business that show interest in setting up in sligo (talking about sligo as a whole) should be very welcomed especially in this day and age and should not be dictated what to sell and which area abouts in the town centre they have to set up. the powers that be need to change their mindset and actually feel privilaged that shops want to actually open up in the town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

its a shame its shutting, its a shame when any places has to shut down but even worse for a place that has been located there what seems like forever!
    +1.
    That's what happens when a shopping centre a few miles from Sligo opens with car parking. Homestore should not have been allowed up there. The likes of Homestore took business away from the town shops / shop in town closed. The Carraroe McDonalds took business away from the Sligo McDonalds, the town McD closed. Time the Council built a big "cheap parking" car park accessable from the inner relief road or the town will close altogether. Or else rates on Carraroe car parking should be as high as in Sligo, to level the playing pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

maryishere wrote: »
    +1.
    That's what happens when a shopping centre a few miles from Sligo opens with car parking. Homestore should not have been allowed up there. The likes of Homestore took business away from the town shops / shop in town closed. The Carraroe McDonalds took business away from the Sligo McDonalds, the town McD closed. Time the Council built a big "cheap parking" car park accessable from the inner relief road or the town will close altogether. Or else rates on Carraroe car parking should be as high as in Sligo, to level the playing pitch.
    The same person owned them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

shanec1928 wrote: »
    The same person owned them....

Proper sustainable town planning would not have seen or allowed the town / city centre one closed and another built on a hill a few miles away. Towns should spread from the centre out.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I hear swagman is closing. They are thinking of moving somewhere else and doing up the current building as a complex. I would be bummed if it goes :/

I heard they were moving to the Irish House.

I heard they were moving to the Irish House.

Its kinda small for swagman, I mean the current building is big enough like :/

I don't know. I've never been in there. I heard it twice today. I'll make a few inquiries tomorrow from someone who should know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

I heard everything from The Irish House to the Swagman was closing and a whole new unit going in its place? Possible start to the shopping centre and a proper car park for the town centre?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I heard everything from The Irish House to the Swagman was closing and a whole new unit going in its place? Possible start to the shopping centre and a proper car park for the town centre?

Well the apparent reason for the swagman closing is ohehirs are increasing the rent. If so then that doesn't mean it's related to the redevelopment of the area. I sure hope it is though as it's badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Well the apparent reason for the swagman closing is ohehirs are increasing the rent. If so then that doesn't mean it's related to the redevelopment of the area. I sure hope it is though as it's badly needed.

Yeah, Dale is doing a roaring trade so they decide to hoike up the rent. Just like every other landowner in the town.

He'll move somewhere else though and his crowd will follow him there. Irish house is a bit small in fairness, and there's no kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Sooo Sligo, as soon as somebody is doing well try to gouge him. The place will rot once the Swagman leaves the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I thought the banks owned the O'Hehir empire. Wouldn't be surprised then if the rent is ramped up to the last. But I may be wrong.

Sooo Sligo, as soon as somebody is doing well try to gouge him. The place will rot once the Swagman leaves the place.

To be fair to Dale, he started with an empty shell and turned it into a thriving business. I've been in there a few times during the day and the place is buzzing. I don't drink in town that often but when I do that's one place I go as there's always someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mojopin10

What date is this supposed to happen?

http://oceanfm.ie/more-businesses-closing-in-sligo-town/
    More businesses — some of them long-established — are to close, or have closed, in Sligo Town.

Among them is Brodricks, a newsagents, card, stationery and giftware store on O’Connell Street for more than 80 years.

It was once one of Sligo’s premier shops as well as a travel agency.

And this Friday, it’s believed the adjoining Irish House pub will also close.

A few years ago, the buildings were up for rent as a result of what was described as “difficult trading conditions.”

The Cross Sections home-wear shop on Grattan Street has already closed as has the long-established Town and Country Club on Teeling Street.

News of these closures are emerging following revelations that Sligo is the county with the highest commercial vacancy rate in the country.

The quarterly study by Geo Directory found that the average commercial vacancy rate nationally in the last quarter of 2015 was 12.6%, compared to 16.4% in Sligo.

Sligo Chamber CEO Paul Keyes insists Sligo needs support . . . and that includes — not only plans and strategies — but also the funding to implement them to make Sligo an attractive place to invest, work and live.

Jaysus sligo town will become a ghost town after this! Bloody recession isn't over yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

maryishere wrote: »
    +1.

I don't agree, homestore and more are filling a large gap in the market. They were charging fair prices that people could afford for kitchenware, candles etc I personally wouldn't pay the prices that cross sections or other speciality shops in town charge. It's a shame they were told they can't sell them anymore. I will go to homestore and more when I'm passing through Galway or Longford now and stock up or buy online.
    McDonalds probably employs more people now than it did when it was in a smaller premises in town and suits people with kids as they didn't have to get parked etc. I'm going to go for the most value and convenience for me and my family whether it's in town centre or not. I don't want to see the town empty either but they Should try to lower rents so Shop owners can sell stuff for cheaper and maybe attract better businesses and build a large car park in the centre for convenience.

Advertisement