Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

thebuzz wrote: »
    Is the Silver Apple gone? Heard it was.

Yes that's gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Yes that's gone too.

Really? They were tweeting the other day about offers.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Really? They were tweeting the other day about offers.

I could be wrong sorry - just saw the offers you were talking about. I knew someone who worked in the bar, he's left a couple of weeks now. I met him the last day and he said there were closing the restaurant after trying it only on Friday's and Saturday's but that wasn't working for them either. Maybe it's only at discussion stages - they seem to have Christmas menus on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

The corner shop on abbey street (that used to be a Mace) is closed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Bizarre shop.. never was very well stocked and was in once or twice and staff just seemed a but unprofessional. Still sad to see it go and jobs with it!

• Advertisement

sligoface wrote: »
    The corner shop on abbey street (that used to be a Mace) is closed now.

I'm amazed it lasted this long, so many better shops went before it. I went in there once in the last couple of months for a banana - they didn't even sell bananas!

The guy behind the counter looked bored stupid with his chin propped up with both fists, he never said hi when I walked in, even though the place was in total silence, stared at me the entire time I was walking around, asked him had they any bananas, he just shook his head, not a word. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

^^^ Agree. And it used to be a great shop, I remember going there regularly. They used to have a fantastic coffee machine but when the shop changed hands to the other owners, all went downhill re stock, staff and coffee :(

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Bizarre shop.. never was very well stocked and was in once or twice and staff just seemed a but unprofessional. Still sad to see it go and jobs with it!

I agree with you on both counts, they didn't stock the place well at all, they had all that Indian stuff in there which made little sense when there was an ethnic shop at the end of abbey street already. Plus you have centra and three supermarkets nearby as well, so no big surprise but unfortunate all the same.

Does anyone think the town will recover? When so many things have closed, people won't come here from out of town to shop due to lack of selection, and the people who used to work in those now closed businesses, who lived locally, they no longer have extra money to spend in the remaining businesses , and if they can afford to will probably leave to get work elsewhere. When I first moved to Sligo in 2006 it seemed to be growing, there was a bit of a buzz about the place, now it's dying and it looks pathetic with all the empty units. I don't want to leave it but I am finding it harder to stay, because when you think about it, the future for the town looks bleaker all the time. I know this is happening all over the country but it just seems to be no end to it heree with stuff closing down and people losing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭glaswegian

I agree with you on both counts, they didn't stock the place well at all, they had all that Indian stuff in there which made little sense when there was an ethnic shop at the end of abbey street already. Plus you have centra and three supermarkets nearby as well, so no big surprise but unfortunate all the same.

Does anyone think the town will recover? When so many things have closed, people won't come here from out of town to shop due to lack of selection, and the people who used to work in those now closed businesses, who lived locally, they no longer have extra money to spend in the remaining businesses , and if they can afford to will probably leave to get work elsewhere. When I first moved to Sligo in 2006 it seemed to be growing, there was a bit of a buzz about the place, now it's dying and it looks pathetic with all the empty units. I don't want to leave it but I am finding it harder to stay, because when you think about it, the future for the town looks bleaker all the time. I know this is happening all over the country but it just seems to be no end to it heree with stuff closing down and people losing their jobs.

thank god for optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭glaswegian

:rolleyes:

thank god for optimism.

• Advertisement

This might sound stupid but there is not an awful lot left to close on O'Connell Street especially. The likes of family owned businesses such as Moffitts, Mullaney's, Wherleys, Brodricks, Easons, The Liber etc aren't going to be going anywhere. Boots, Tesco and Penney's all have good standings. Awear wasn't a big shock to me and I might be a bit worried about Gerry McGuires but apart from that what else is there to close really?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭qapmoc

This might sound stupid but there is not an awful lot left to close on O'Connell Street especially.

I was in Sligo before Christmas and was amazed to see both McDonalds restaurant and Burgerking gone from the town. They were both on O'Connell st four or five years ago as far as I remember. I wonder was it high rates or the lack of car parking space which drove them from the town? Shame really to see so many empty shops/ premises in the town now. It cannot even really be called a city. If you went in to town with the kids for something to eat in McDonalds you may stay to browse among other shops.

Car parking is another thing which needs attention in Sligo. In december anyway it was very difficult to come in off the inner relief road and find a space. There should be more car parking spaces. And cheaper spaces too. 1.20 an hour is ridiculous. No wonder the town is dying. Every time I visit, more shops have closed. Very bad planning. Obviously the planners do not want visitors to stop in Sligo. Pass on by.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

qapmoc wrote: »
    Car parking is another thing which needs attention in Sligo. In december anyway it was very difficult to come in off the inner relief road and find a space. There should be more car parking spaces. And cheaper spaces too. 1.20 an hour is ridiculous. No wonder the town is dying. Every time I visit, more shops have closed. Very bad planning. Obviously the planners do not want visitors to stop in Sligo. Pass on by.
    On that, I see recently a new Holborn Street car park just behind McGinley Avenue. €3 per day or I think €1 an hour.

qapmoc wrote: »
    I was in Sligo before Christmas and was amazed to see both McDonalds restaurant and Burgerking gone from the town. They were both on O'Connell st four or five years ago as far as I remember. I wonder was it high rates or the lack of car parking space which drove them from the town? Shame really to see so many empty shops/ premises in the town now. It cannot even really be called a city. If you went in to town with the kids for something to eat in McDonalds you may stay to browse among other shops.

Should be renamed Royston Vasey, locals only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Is this news? MAD in Johnston's court closes down.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=29603

Is this news? MAD in Johnston's court closes down.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=29603

It was rubbish anyway, no new releases and a lot of the stock looked second hand. The size of the unit gave the impression of a better store!

This might sound stupid but there is not an awful lot left to close on O'Connell Street especially. The likes of family owned businesses such as Moffitts, Mullaney's, Wherleys, Brodricks, Easons, The Liber etc aren't going to be going anywhere. Boots, Tesco and Penney's all have good standings. Awear wasn't a big shock to me and I might be a bit worried about Gerry McGuires but apart from that what else is there to close really?

Not sure I get what you mean but I would prefer to live in a town that has some more interesting places than just your bog standard Boots and Pennys, nice to have them when you need them, but I miss the smaller shops like Artisan that offer something different (and quality too). It's sad that the best we can hope for is for shops to not close, that we can't attract any new businesses that will make the town worth coming into.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Osta looks closed, refurb maybe?

Also, it doesn't look like Bistro Bianconi is re-opening on High St. The signs have been taken down and they have stripped the tiles from the floor.

Osta looks closed, refurb maybe?

Yes, refurb. Closed for a week.

• Advertisement

Also, it doesn't look like Bistro Bianconi is re-opening on High St. The signs have been taken down and they have stripped the tiles from the floor.

Might be doing a complete overhaul or run into problems re: floor. The new stone oven has been installed in the back so doubt they will change their minds. Does seemed to have slowed down though, will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Might be doing a complete overhaul or run into problems re: floor. The new stone oven has been installed in the back so doubt they will change their minds. Does seemed to have slowed down though, will be interesting to see.

Yeah I agree, there was a guy in a hi-viz in there during the week mixing cement I think plus they took in a truck load of stock there about two weeks ago. Hurry up and openomnomnom......

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Plazaman wrote: »
    Yeah I agree, there was a guy in a hi-viz in there during the week mixing cement I think plus they took in a truck load of stock there about two weeks ago. Hurry up and openomnomnom......

There's a cardboard sign stuck on the door handles of the restaurant (looks *really* professional :eek:) to say the store is for rent, €120 per week and a mobile phone number. Odd, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

TheQ47 wrote: »
    There's a cardboard sign stuck on the door handles of the restaurant (looks *really* professional :eek:) to say the store is for rent, €120 per week and a mobile phone number. Odd, to say the least.

Very odd and stock sitting in the kitchen.............

If it was to reopen as Bistro Bianconi why would they have bothered taking down the signage?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

If it was to reopen as Bistro Bianconi why would they have bothered taking down the signage?

Maybe to advertise that they are going to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

The mezzanine restaurant in the quayside closed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I know its been closed a while, but doesn't look like its gonna reopen now.

The Peri Chicken Shop on Mail Coach road has had all its signage removed, and the whole shop front barr the windows painted brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

No wonder....the food there was dreadful. Absolute muck.

dingding wrote: »
    The mezzanine restaurant in the quayside closed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Sligo electrical (formally the Sony Centre) in Johnston Court closed last week.

Advertisement