Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[XBOX360] Fifa 09 Season 2-It begins!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cadogs

m83 wrote: »
    Can all new and existing players please realise that taking down players from behind when they are moving into a one on one situation with the keeper is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN!

It just completely ruins the spirit of this Boards League and if you want to play like that just join any one of the thousands of other leagues out there.

Cheers.

I still think this whole thing is a gray area!!! I mean if i'm 1-0 up on someone in the last minute of a game and their player goes clean through then i'm gonna slice him down!!

We all saw Solskjaer, who was a very honest player, do it for Man U against newcastle years ago to save all 3 points for United and he got applauded for it!!!

Don't get me wrong i hate when your 2/3 goals up and people hack you down just for the sake of it because then its just a pointless exercise!!

I have had only 3 sendings off in 24 games and none of them were blatant tackles from behind (except against knackerdwarf but thats cos he was hacking all my players down and i was about 5 goals up!!!) but if the situation arises i most certainly will hack someone down to preserve 3 points!!

Maybe thats just me but it's supposed to be an accurate football simulation and these things happen in real football!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

cadogs wrote: »
    I still think this whole thing is a gray area!!! I mean if i'm 1-0 up on someone in the last minute of a game and their player goes clean through then i'm gonna slice him down!!

Whats the point so? Unless your going to play fairly?

Either we all agree not to do it at all, or we have lads chopping down fella's left right and center.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Whats the point so? Unless your going to play fairly?

Either we all agree not to do it at all, or we have lads chopping down fella's left right and center.

I do play fairly which is why i've only had 3 sendings off (1 of which was a tackle from behind which i explained in my previous post) as opposed to a lot of people having between 5-10!!

If we all agree not to take someone down from behind, people are gonna be scared to make an honest attempt at a tackle and then risk getting kicked out of the league cos someone pm's Futureguy crying about a tackle from behind!!

As i said. it's a gray area!

If anybody has any suggestions to alleviate this problem we're all ears!

If we all agree not to take someone down from behind, people are gonna be scared to make an honest attempt at a tackle and then risk getting kicked out of the league cos someone pm's Futureguy crying about a tackle from behind!!

As i said. it's a gray area!

It may be a "grey area" but you just spelled out in no uncertain terms that you have no problem with taking someone down if you had to. Thats not the type of sh!te most players want to put up with I suggest...

There's a difference between taking someone down from behind and making an honest attempt. I was playing one guy, I think it was Seany, and he had a lad sent off for a last man tackle, but he actually made an attempt to get the ball so thats grand, no problem at all. Most of the time there is a massive difference between the two.

Its only a game, so why can't we just have good decent clean games with the bullsh!t? I've had zero sendings off, and I think about 3 bookings in my 21 games, I don't understand why people don't play properly? Actually, in my 61 ranked games, I've had zero red cards. I don't understand the need to take out the last man at all.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Can all new and existing players please realise that taking down players from behind when they are moving into a one on one situation with the keeper is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN!

I thought Future Guy was the one making the rules here?:rolleyes:

As someone else pointed out its a grey area, if you simply have no choice but to take the player down to stop a goal then sometimes its all you can do. Y2J you can say you dont do it etc etc but maybe thats cos you havent been in a position to have to, your at the top of the league and win most matches comfortably i doubt you have been in many games in the league where your clinging on to your lead by the one goal and your defence is under pressure not to conceed. Wreckless challenges and constant slide tackling and bookings or sending offs are uncalled for and shouldnt be tolerated but when its one on one sometimes and its a win or lose situation you simply have no choice but to go for the tackle. Everyone wants to win their games so if making that last ditch effort could end up in you either getting the ball or takin the last man down then thats the risk you sometimes have to take. This is football and tackling happens, if its going on all over the pitch then no it should be tolerated but when its for the sake of winning or losing a game then you cant say its not allowed, its not like there arent any consequences, the team loses a man over it.

• Advertisement

Axwell wrote: »
    Y2J you can say you dont do it etc etc but maybe thats cos you havent been in a position to have to.

Ah here, pull the other one mate, I'm sure there has been some point in my 63 ranked games and 21 league games where I have been in a position to take someone down when I was hanging onto a lead :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I don't do it because its a scumbag tactic. If you can't win playing fairly, you don't deserve to win at all.
    If you simply have no choice but to take the player down to stop a goal then sometimes its all you can

Perhaps we really should have two leagues....one for players who wish to play clean games without people taking the last man down? And one for the players who do? There honestly seems like a split, and this is as logical as any!
    I thought Future Guy was the one making the rules here?

He certainly is the one making the rules, but if you take a quick gawk at his earlier posts, this is a rule already. FutureGuy, can you tell us what the story is with this? It seems like some players are going to do it no matter what....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I don't do it because its a scumbag tactic. If you can't win playing fairly, you don't deserve to win at all.

A scumbag tactic?Did you call Solksjaer a scumbag when he did it being that you are a man utd fan? The point here is that if you are making a last ditch effort to get the ball while the other player is getting into a one on one position it has to be allowed, if you are just hacking down the last man then it shouldnt. The line is so fine though between making that tackle and winning the ball or ending up catching the last man and taking him down. If people are going to shout scumbag tactic and whinge about it everytime someone makes a proper attempt then it just makes a farce of the game as much as it does someone going round chopping down players.

A scumbag tactic?Did you call Solksjaer a scumbag when he did it being that you are a man utd fan?

I'm sure I'd hack down someone in real life in a heartbeat if I thought I could save the title for United and get myself a Premiership winners medal. Infact, I was there when 20LEGEND brought down him down. One important point your missing out on though...

........This is a console game, not real life..........

Taking down a man down in FIFA'09 is unlikely to change the course of history seeing as its just an Xbox360 game, I don't do it. If you can't take losing a relatively meaningless game without resorting to cheating (unless we start handing out trophies, medals and prizes) it is really just a scumbag tactic.

If I'm 1-0 up against you, you are finding it difficult to break through my defence but finally when you do get one vs one with my keeper, I hack you down and take the 1-0 win, would you like it? Don't see why people have to resort to cheating.

Its easy to tell if someone has made a genuine attempt to play the ball as I've said before. There was no "shouting of scumbag tactic" or "whinging" when Seany took down my player who was clean through, because he made a proper attempt to get the ball, but it just didn't work out. Its when you are making tackles where its obvious you have no hope in hell of getting the ball, thats what I have the problem with. If you've played the game for longer than 5 mins, you'll know what sliding tackle has a hope of getting the ball and what doesn't. Can you honestly say that when you make a sliding tackle you have absolutely no idea whatsoever whether you have a chance of getting the ball or not?

At least you seem to have some acceptance that taking down the last man is wrong, unlike that fella above, who said he'd have no bother doing it just to protect a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭event

jesus lads, he's right.

taking someone down when last man is a joke and completely ruins the game.

there is never any need for it at all.

BTW, to show my non dirtyness, i have the achievment for 5 consecutive games online without a card :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Personally, why ban it?

You get a red card for it don't you? So suck it up, you're now playing against 10 men. If I was 1nil up in the last minute I'd do it, it's suppose to be a football game. This happens in football.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Personally, why ban it?

You get a red card for it don't you? So suck it up, you're now playing against 10 men. If I was 1nil up in the last minute I'd do it, it's suppose to be a football game. This happens in football.

because they can

fair enough, if you do it, thats grand, but they dont want you playing in their league, play in a different one.

its hardly a big deal, its just a rule they bring in

If I'm 1-0 up against you, you are finding it difficult to break through my defence but finally when you do get one vs one with my keeper, I hack you down and take the 1-0 win, would you like it? Don't see why people have to resort to cheating.
    Its not cheating its just something that you dont agree with, while this isnt real life its still a tournament that pople want to do well in. Ive seen you unimpressed when your connection droppd a few times and you lost the game over it cos it meant you wont win the league. So you are competitive about it as much as anyone else even though its just a game you want to win too.
    Its easy to tell if someone has made a genuine attempt to play the ball as I've said before. There was no "shouting of scumbag tactic" or "whinging" when Seany took down my player who was clean through, because he made a proper attempt to get the ball, but it just didn't work out. Its when you are making tackles where its obvious you have no hope in hell of getting the ball, thats what I have the problem with.

This was my point, i agree with you completely if you feel its worth the tackle and that you can make it then it should be allowed. But hacking the man down for the sake of it, no i dont agree with that at all.
    If you've played the game for longer than 5 mins, you'll know what sliding tackle has a hope of getting the ball and what doesn't. Can you honestly say that when you make a sliding tackle you have absolutely no idea whatsoever whether you have a chance of getting the ball or not?
    Agreed, but for this reason you cant put a ban on slide tackling the last man because some people will make those tackles and win the ball. The problem as we have agreed on is someone just repeatedly hacking your man down when he breaks away 1 vs 1 with no chance of getting the ball.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Ok lads, some good arguments for and against the whole slide tackle from behind with deliberate intent to take the ban down. It's obvious some people see it as a great way to keep an oponent from scoring and other feels it ruins the spirit of the game. I'm going to keep things simple.

I agree with last ditch attempts to win the ball. I DO NOT AGREE with a defender that is 2-3 yards directly behind the striker taking him outout...don't insult anyones intelligence by saying you were trying to win the ball...thats bu11****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrFlDpQudY There is Solsjkaers tackle...this happens once in a blue moon. Does it happen in every premier league game? No, because there would be chaos.

When I started the league, I made it especially clear that this type of play is not going to happen.

So here it is, if you are a player who does this and agrees with doing it, I would ask that you find another league for next year. No hard feelings, it's just that I (and the vast majority of the players in the league) don't want it. If I want a game where people are kicking the siht out of each other, I'll play COD4 or Street Fighter II.

There are plenty leagues full of players that will chop, hack and cheat vs each other...this is when Fifa stops being a football-based game and just a game based loosely on the rules of football.

The very minute this league stops being fun, that'll be it. I'll start doing closed leagues where I handpick players.

I'm not being p1ssy, I'm not complaining, I'm adhering to the rules set out when we all joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

+1

one thing i have thought of that could solve it

if you take down the last man, regardless of whether you mean it or not, and it doesnt metter if the player was given a red or yellow, the next time you get the ball, you MUST pass the ball back to your keeper and score an OG. Failure to do so results in expulsion from the league

how about that?

event wrote: »
    one thing i have thought of that could solve it

if you take down the last man, regardless of whether you mean it or not, and it doesnt metter if the player was given a red or yellow, the next time you get the ball, you MUST pass the ball back to your keeper and score an OG. Failure to do so results in expulsion from the league

how about that?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

How are you going to make that work, what if the guy doesnt do it? Come on here and try somehow prove it all happened? Never going to work to be honest.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

How are you going to make that work, what if the guy doesnt do it? Come on here and try somehow prove it all happened? Never going to work to be honest.

well its rather simple

you can see what time a player was sent off at, so then in the following 3 mins or so there should be an OG

you are one of the people who thinks it ok so it doesnt really matter what anyone suggested, you'd be against it

but its just an option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

well its rather simple

you can see what time a player was sent off at, so then in the following 3 mins or so there should be an OG

you are one of the people who thinks it ok so it doesnt really matter what anyone suggested, you'd be against it

but its just an option

What if it was a genuine 2 yellow cards?

well its rather simple

but its just an option

Im not against it do you read the posts or just come on here running your mouth when you arent even in the league? I said i dont agree with wreckless tackles but i feel where you can win the ball it should be allowed.

Your idea wont work as when the game is over its simply your word against theirs, they will say they didnt tackle you and you will say you did and nothing can be done. So im sorry if it hurts your feeling that i dont agree with you, it doesnt mean im against other peoples opinions. Coming here making comments like that is a way to make sure you dont find a place in the league anyways.

Also as the person above says what about 2 yellow cards or a red for a challenge elsewhere on the pitch??

When i was saying that i will take down a player from behind to preserve a 1 goal lead as well i meant that i would genuinely attempt to win the ball but i i happen to hack the player down instead so be it!!!

I really, really try and refrain from doing this and have not done so all season but i think we all have to be realistic and say we would do it if the situation arose!!

I've played 24 games this season and have enjoyed it immensely and i do think there's a good spirit in the league but things go for you and things go against you so just get on with it and stop pestering poor Futureguy with complaints!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Look people RULES IS RULES!

This is a rule in this league. If you break it, prepare to face the consequences, ie. expulsion.

Look people RULES IS RULES!

This is a rule in this league. If you break it, prepare to face the consequences, ie. expulsion.

Yessir, i'll try not to break the rules!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think it's pretty clear cut and is all about the intent I for one completely agree.
    anyway not to go to far off topic but I'm not arsed going out tonight need to relax so anyone who wants to add me "Denarse" do and we'll have a game or two.
    boom

Just a couple of things...
    Its not cheating its just something that you dont agree with

You've made some good points in your last post, but this was not one of them. I don't claim to be Jesus.
    Ive seen you unimpressed when your connection droppd a few times and you lost the game over it cos it meant you wont win the league. So you are competitive about it as much as anyone else even though its just a game you want to win too.

Of course, everybody wants to win. All you have said above is true. The difference with me and (some) other people is this...If I'm to win, I'd like to win it fairly and squarely. Do you like to lose? I hope not. If my connection drops (as it has done twice) when I've been winning games, this is frustrating...but its not exactly a life defining moment that I will carry with me forever. Ten mins later it will be forgotten, so games should be decided fairly. This is my point.

Yessir, i'll try not to break the rules!!!

Leave the sarcasm out would ya? No need for it. I just want some sound lads to play a few league games against, bit of banter, not childish rubbish.

I just want some sound lads to play a few league games against, bit of banter, not childish rubbish.

Definitely, for the most this league has been good craic. One suggestion though for the season ahead. I find most people dont talk on their mics possibly cos of the concentration etc, i know we can play friendlies if we like but maybe e should organise nights of friendlies before the league starts where people can be more talkative and strike up a bit more banter??? I played future guy a few times yesterday and out of everyone in the league hes the only one ive heard on the mic. Possibly create another league just so we dont have to go adding all the people to our friends list where its set to play each team something like 5 times but just play the games as friendlies just to chat and get the banter going.

Y2J, for the most part we are in complete agreement with each other on the tackling issues i just think the likes of what you said about the game with seany where you can make the challenge and win the ball has to be allowed. So lets leave it at that cos as i said we agree 99% and although i didnt get to play you in this league ive actually played against you before on another one and know your a sound player.

Looking forward to season 2 and cheeres to Future Guy for the organisation, really looking forward to the cup matches too which should make things interesting.

To the few people ive left to play ive sent friend invites so posty a message on here or something if you are one of the ones with no box or whatever, ive a post on the gameweek 4 thread. Im already losing out cos i took over from Soby so anyone ive left to play id appeciate to get to play you if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

What if it's a legitimate tackle on a man running through on goal who showed you a fair bit of the ball. I came very very close to doing it to Future Guy (I think) a few days ago but I had a decent chance of getting the ball and it was my only option. Presume that's a different kettle of fish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear cut and is all about the intent I for one completely agree.
    anyway not to go to far off topic but I'm not arsed going out tonight need to relax so anyone who wants to add me "Denarse" do and we'll have a game or two.
    boom

I might stay in meslf tonight. I'll add ya in a bit. I have to move me television and xbox into the computer room so I can access live haha. some balls boy. Although I do have a couple of spare routers/modems could I just split the connection in me mothers room (thats where the line is obviously) and just feck a line into me own room and use the xbox straight fromt he router/modem, hmmm seany ponders.

Definitely, for the most this league has been good craic. One suggestion though for the season ahead. I find most people dont talk on their mics possibly cos of the concentration etc, i know we can play friendlies if we like but maybe e should organise nights of friendlies before the league starts where people can be more talkative and strike up a bit more banter???

Ya, this aint a bad idea!
    although i didnt get to play you in this league ive actually played against you before on another one and know your a sound player.

Oh right, didn't know that? Not that i have a good memory anyways!

• Advertisement

Leave the sarcasm out would ya? No need for it. I just want some sound lads to play a few league games against, bit of banter, not childish rubbish.

Ha, you're the last person in the world thats in for a bit of banter!!!!

Bitter some!!! :pac:

Maybe next year Y2J, when i'm not playing ha ha

Advertisement