Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3X13 "Dual" ***Caution may contain Spoilers***

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

J-blk wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned his cut healed by the end of the episode, establishing that he got all his powers back and I posted the screenies to clarify that didn't happen.

My bad... Wishful thinking, I guess.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

My favourite episode of the season; one of the my favourites altogether.

Sylar playing cat and mouse with level 5's? Fuckin deadly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I liked it, simply because I loved the concept of Sylar being the big bad and hunting the heroes. Unfortunately, the scene with Ma Petrelli at the end ruined it all. If he's dead, I will stop watching the show. It has no other redeeming qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Why did Ando and Peter both practically impale themselves with the formula? There's no need to stick it into yourself with all the force you can possibly muster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

My bad... Wishful thinking, I guess.....!

Ah well, like I said, it may very well be the case that he did get his original powers back. In fact, that's the "easy" way out and I would almost expect the writers to do that, as again, it "resets" everything that happened to Peter during the volume and neatly gets rid of "the hunger" if he needs to re-learn powers... Peter not getting his original powers back (at least just yet) is more of the way to go IMO, but if that's the case, did he have to get stuck with flight as his only power? Lame...
    Faith wrote: »
    Why did Ando and Peter both practically impale themselves with the formula? There's no need to stick it into yourself with all the force you can possibly muster.

Good ol' "dramatic effect" I guess... And why did Ando almost have a seizure and pass out from the injection, whereas Peter doesn't even blink and has powers back instantly and Mohinder swallows a couple of pints worth to no visible effect? I'm guessing the writers' excuse would be that Peter and Mohinder already had powers and their bodies were more "conditioned" for the formula, but as usual, in the space of ten minutes, consistency goes out the window.

For all its' faults, I really want this show to return to the glory days. I love these kinds of shows (as well as Sci-Fi ones) and they are the least successful type on US TV... Instead, there are a ton of reality shows and CSI/Law & Order spinoffs, year after year. Heroes season 1 managed to be a breakthrough hit even for audiences that would never watch this type of show and that's why it's so disappointing to see it hit the skids, as it'll further put networks off such shows, opting for the next CSI instead... (Disclaimer: I have nothing against CSI-type shows, I just think the TV "landscape" is a bit uneven these days...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

For all its' faults, I really want this show to return to the glory days. I love these kinds of shows (as well as Sci-Fi ones) and they are the least successful type on US TV... Instead, there are a ton of reality shows and CSI/Law & Order spinoffs, year after year. Heroes season 1 managed to be a breakthrough hit even for audiences that would never watch this type of show and that's why it's so disappointing to see it hit the skids, as it'll further put networks off such shows, opting for the next CSI instead... (Disclaimer: I have nothing against CSI-type shows, I just think the TV "landscape" is a bit uneven these days...)

Snap. Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ah well, like I said, it may very well be the case that he did get his original powers back. In fact, that's the "easy" way out and I would almost expect the writers to do that, as again, it "resets" everything that happened to Peter during the volume and neatly gets rid of "the hunger" if he needs to re-learn powers... Peter not getting his original powers back (at least just yet) is more of the way to go IMO, but if that's the case, did he have to get stuck with flight as his only power? Lame...

Good ol' "dramatic effect" I guess... And why did Ando almost have a seizure and pass out from the injection, whereas Peter doesn't even blink and has powers back instantly and Mohinder swallows a couple of pints worth to no visible effect? I'm guessing the writers' excuse would be that Peter and Mohinder already had powers and their bodies were more "conditioned" for the formula, but as usual, in the space of ten minutes, consistency goes out the window.

Well its quite possible that the super power when applied would be the same power all the time? If its not a random power applied then that supports peter jabbing the needle into his leg (he can heal it instantly with his powers) And if he has to absorb peoples powers again to get them then his ability to fly is granted from absorbing his bro's.

Also Parkman and Ando did they not say that the power you get is the power you desire the most? Right before Ando jabbed himself? Although thats just their assumption.

Nothing is really confirmed as to how the specific powers are obtained science wise, so they can still do what they want to be honest :)

And Sylar will be back, hes the best character in it they wont have him dead long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Another very poor season overall. Shame. Show had promise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Otacon wrote: »
    Travelling faster than light, theoretically, allows you to go backwards and forwards in time.

Special relativity, theorises that time slows down as you approach the speed of light. If Daphne ran at almost the speed of light, then time for her would slow, relative to everything else. She wouldn't travel backwards in time, she would freeze, relatively speaking. If she managed to end up back in the past, then approaching the speed of light again, would allow her to move forward (in our time) in a relatively short time for her.

It's just another of the huge gloss-overs from this whole season. As Jack O'Neill said, relativity gives me a headache.

Glad this portion is over, now let us never speak of it again...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jor el wrote: »
    Special relativity, theorises that time slows down as you approach the speed of light. If Daphne ran at almost the speed of light, then time for her would slow, relative to everything else. She wouldn't travel backwards in time, she would freeze, relatively speaking. If she managed to end up back in the past, then approaching the speed of light again, would allow her to move forward (in our time) in a relatively short time for her.

It's just another of the huge gloss-overs from this whole season. As Jack O'Neill said, relativity gives me a headache.

The thing is, tachyons are theoretical items that travel faster than the speed of light and thus would appear to travel backwards through time as we perceive it. So far so good.

However, that can't work for an object that starts out at rest. As an object accelerates, time dilates for it but its mass increases commesurate to how fast it's going. So the problem is getting enough energy to accelerate the object up to (or beyond) the speed of light. (Quite aside from the issue of friction burning away her legs if she were to run that fast).

None of which would be quite such a problem if the general approach to plotlines and characters hadn't been so god-awful this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

No offence, but a lot of you seem to me to be scraping the barrel for plot holes. Who gives a shít, really, if Daphne's time travel doesn't stand up to strict scientific scrutiny? It's not supposed to. Science Fiction, anyone?

Next we'll be on about Nathans propulsion:weight ratio or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I just watched 11, 12 and 13 in a row. I can see what they were doing and I'm happy enough with the direction the last couple of eps took but they have to loose the soapish element a little.
    It was strange. As I watched this ep I was kind of looking at scenes sideways in the mansion. I was saying to myself, if this was acted out a bit differently, if whoever was directing did a half descent job then this good be really good stuff. As it was it was just banged out. No craft or suspence. No atmosphere. It was still going very well until Claire stepped in with Sylar. That scene should have happened the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just watched it now. I thought it was very much a 'Meh' episode and for a season finale I felt it was a disappointment. I didn't like the setting for the Sylar stuff and it all felt quite predictable, much like the whole season really.

The stuff with Hiro, Ando and co was uninspiring and as for the Nathan/Peter stuff, I felt Nathan's actions were really bizarre and that they didn't match the character we've seen in previous seasons. Mohinder's character has really gone to sh*t.
    jor el wrote:

That pretty much sums it up really. The season has really disappointed me and I hope Volume IV proves to be an improvement. I'd be willing to settle for less action and more effort put into the storyline and character development. Here's hoping...

Advertisement