Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the recession really had a negative affect on you?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

and to think i was only just thinking of moving back home before all this recession crap started, hmmm me thinks me made the right choice to stay abroad. Its mass migration time! To America! no wait on second tought....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

The recession has really hit me hard, every day I have to listen to another cnut on the radio moaning about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

yes, the recession is a big problem for me. apparently there's enough natives in the labour market with no jobs so that there's no need for me over here anymore... and im being kicked outta the country two days after christmas :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Oh yeah, I lost my job at the worlds largest bank by revenue, well I haven't lost it yet but our whole department was offered redundancy and told we could be let go anytime from January.

Luckily, I got another job but it is a pay cut of €10,000 a year. :mad:

However, I feel lucky to have that other job considering we're probably heading toward a depression or at the very least a long recession.

I can realistically see a quarter of Ireland's population out of work in 2009.

It won't raise to 25% unemployed, there isn't a hope of that happening, 10% in first quater of 2009 possibly, but there is no way it will rise to 25%. That is worse than the worst outcome. If that was the case the country would just fail, we would be living on the streets or squatting as there is so much housing, it would be completely nuts.

The recession has made it very difficult for me to get a job, but I have more disposable income being on the dole than when I was in college. It has made a balls of all my great plans, but it won't last forever. However, my social welfare payments will stop at some point... I am hoping to get a job by the end of january, if so I will be pretty happy. Don't even care about pay, as long as it beats the dole and is somewhat secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jan_kowalski

25% unemployment?
    Not a chance...
    Around 10% in most realistic figure sometimes in 2009.
    Spain is the worst in the whole EU now I think, with unemployment around 13%.
    And there is still better living in 13% unemployed Spain than in 6% unemployed Poland - telling you :D
    So just don't look at those percentages as they are worth ****.
    After all, all the Irish then can move to Poland and others and "steal" their jobs for the change, cheer up :D:cool:

Recession is somehow good, I do not feel bad side of it yet.
    Keeping same job and most stuff gets cheaper - accomodation, petrol, cars, many goods in the shops...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Cpaw

Wait until repossessions are happening everywhere, everyone's savings are gone, unemployment at 40%, cutbacks everywhere, dole reduced to 80 a week, then you'll KNOW you're in a recession! The government meanwhile, will be chuckling to themselves sitting pretty with the highest wages in Europe, laughing at everyone.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

SURELY NOT!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Worked out good for me. Was told in March that I was going to be made redundant at the end of September. Was a bit pissed off at the time but it was a half year of dossing, going in at 10, surfing and going home at 4. Decided during the summer I would take the rest of the year off and look for a new job in 09. But then I saw a very interesting job and threw in a CV, got the job with a 12.5% pay rise plus got a over 12 months salary out of the redundancy after tax from the old company.

Advertisement