Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the recession really had a negative affect on you?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 2:17pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking the other day, how although we are in a recession and all, really I'd say most people are no worse off at all... In fact for many it might actually have a positive effect!

OK, so i work in IT Sales where my salary is largely commission based - I have seen a clear downturn in business lately, so my earnings follow suit. A lot of large companies are tightening their belts and cancelling projects or putting them on hold, playing it safe.

Now the majority of people are on a fixed salary, so, leaving aside the fact that there is a risk you could loose your job, really your earnings are not at risk. However due to the recession, a lot of things have got significantly cheaper! Petrol prices have gone down, if you are on a tracker mortgage you're laughing, from a retail perspective shops are lowering prices to try to encourage greater turnovers and the sales are even coming early. If like me you tend to buy a lot online, the sterling/euro rate means that buying form the UK has never been more attractive!

Have you really been affected in a negative way from the recession, or are you actually slightly better off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

but... i don't know what a tracker mortgage is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes its had a negative effect with all the recession threads on boards I don't know what to do with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I lost my job. I have christmas off.

so, no.
    \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Zascar wrote: »
    Has the recession really had a negative affect on you?

No, it's had no effect on me whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yep.
    The building trade has crumbled.

Mostly though I blame half arsed Polish labourers for undercutting my prices by about 300%.
    I really can't justify working for the prices they charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Best thing to happen to this country in along time. I've actually met people lately who have embraced reality for the first time in many years.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Heard a great one on the radio the other day... One of the regular callers talking to the presenter:

"What is it with Women and Christmas??? Do they not know we are in a recession? I swear to God my Sharon thinks that the Credit Crunch is some type of breakfeast Cereal!"

"I went to the ATM the other day and it said 'insufficient funds' - I didn't know if it was me who has run out of money, or the Bank!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Terry wrote: »
    Yep.
    The building trade has crumbled.

Mostly though I blame half arsed Polish labourers for undercutting my prices by about 300%.
    I really can't justify working for the prices they charge.

You work in building?
    Im studding a partion wall now, want a few hours work?
    :pac:

snyper wrote: »
    I lost my job. I have christmas off.

so, no.
    \o/

Same boat.

snyper wrote: »
    You work in building?
    Im studding a partion wall now, want a few hours work?
    :pac:
    Nah. I'm hungover.

• Advertisement

Nope. I'm as broke as I've ever been.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So far its been great because I'm on the same wage but get more stuff for my money. There has been talks of redundancies where I work in the new year so that might change it all but for now, BRING IT ON!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

It's all been positive to me. The way I see it is that in one years time nobody will be wearing Abercrombie or Ugg Boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

A 50% drop in pay, and uncertain employment as customers start delaying and re-reviewing large scale techie projects that were scheduled to get the go-ahead in the last few months.

On the other hand I might get my boards post-rate up from it's historic glacial rate, so expect to see more dry s&^*! here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I get an extra 120 euro a week thanks to a pay rise 2 weeks ago:D We have been very busy the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Not yet.

I'm a student, my parents jobs are untouched, so I'm ok. But I'll have graduated and be out in the world in the next couple of years, so I'd say I'll be effected then. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

FunkZ wrote: »
    It's all been positive to me. The way I see it is that in one years time nobody will be wearing Abercrombie or Ugg Boots!

wont they get them for half nothing on the closing down sales???

Plug wrote: »
    I get an extra 120 euro a week thanks to a pay rise 2 weeks ago:D We have been very busy the last few weeks.
    Repo man?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

destroyer wrote: »
    wont they get them for half nothing on the closing down sales???

Abercrombie's not really sold in this neck of the woods. Uggs I'm not sure about. ^^

Repo man?

Or a debt collector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

No immediate effect on me. I'm a student and had a full time summer job, and I'm current working 9 - 5 on Saturdays. I'm going to quit soon though because it's annoying me.

I've got enough money saved up to get me through college life until next summer, and probably a good bit longer if I don't buy anything expensive like an iPhone or laptop or something like that.

Overall, the recession will probably have a positive effect on me. In 3 and a half years I'll be hopefully receiving my degree in Computer Science. The economy should be back into full swing, big companies will probably be looking for new graduates to fill the empty spaces left by previous workers that were let go during the recession.
    House prices should be affordable, compared to two or three years ago where they were just ridiculous and stupidly unsustainable.

My parents are both civil servants so they should be ok.

One of my friend's dad lost his job a few months ago (construction) and my best friend's mam will probably lose hers any day now. Just her and her mam live together so that will probably be tough.

Repo man?
    I'm an apprentice mechanic with Ford. I tell ya I'll be eating steak for Christmas, I'll only be swimming in the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

destroyer wrote: »
    Best thing to happen to this country in along time. I've actually met people lately who have embraced reality for the first time in many years.

Yeah the reality of having no job for Christmas is great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Does anyone else realise that the Celtic Tiger is gone for good and will not be back? This recession will last years and probably turn into a depression. We're all fu**ed - it's not a case of the jobs coming back in a few years. Those Irish jobs are on a one-way ticket to East Europe and Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Nolanger wrote: »
    Does anyone else realise that the Celtic Tiger is gone for good and will not be back? This recession will last years and probably turn into a depression. We're all fu**ed - it's not a case of the jobs coming back in a few years. Those Irish jobs are on a one-way ticket to East Europe and Asia.

If we manage to keep our low corporation tax and highly skilled work force, a lot of them will be back.

You can't just ship highly skilled jobs off to a country with very cheap labour and little education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I can only afford coke and hookers every second night now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It is having a large impact on a lot of my friends who are thinking of jetting off to other countries.

So while I probably will be able to survive working here, the number of drinking buddies is going down.

The only things that make me happy anymore are reading thepropertypin and watching Anglo Irish shares fall to pieces (and an occasional troll of the stranger fora on boards.ie). Shaudenfreud I know, but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Plug wrote: »
    I'm an apprentice mechanic with Ford. I tell ya I'll be eating steak for Christmas, I'll only be swimming in the money!

em, you are aware that Ford are very close to bankruptcy?:rolleyes:

woodseb wrote: »
    em, you are aware that Ford are very close to bankruptcy?:rolleyes:
    They won't file for bankruptcy;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Mark200 wrote: »
    If we manage to keep our low corporation tax and highly skilled work force, a lot of them will be back.

You can't just ship highly skilled jobs off to a country with very cheap labour and little education

skilled workforce is a myth

Advertisement