Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the recession really had a negative affect on you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Zascar wrote: »
    Has the recession really had a negative affect on you?
    Nope. The more recession, the merrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

Nope. The more recession, the merrier.
    Maybe not famine level, but I most upwardly mobily agree with what you said me ole chum wag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Maybe not famine level, but I most upwardly mobily agree with what you said me ole chum wag

Heh, irony is funny.

Heh, irony is funny.
    Tis :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tis :)

Oh, I know YOU think so. After all, why name yourself sillysausage when you're so fond of spam?

• Advertisement

Oh, I know YOU think so. After all, why name yourself sillysausage when you're so fond of spam?
    Read what I have written though, it's better quality than what that pesky newspaper the sun comes out with :) Any ways I do not want any e-enemys, let's just get along :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Read what I have written though, it's better quality than what that pesky newspaper the sun comes out with :) Any ways I do not want any e-enemys, let's just get along :)

Duel at dawn, choose your weapons......

Rubber chicken or green banana..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Justlookin

Lost my 39 cent hourly pay increase, not impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Things in the job have certainly cranked up, Its all "Sales, Sales, Sales!" and Target this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sort of.

Have a job but not entirely my chosen profession but in these times having a job seems to be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

The recession rules. I got a big raise and everything is cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Wait until repossessions are happening everywhere, everyone's savings are gone, unemployment at 40%, cutbacks everywhere, dole reduced to 80 a week, then you'll KNOW you're in a recession! The government meanwhile, will be chuckling to themselves sitting pretty with the highest wages in Europe, laughing at everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah,
    I've had to go up North to fill the boat's wine storage drawer (I was going to call it a cellar, but it's clearly not), can't justify ROI prices for wine anymore tbh

Normally I fill the fuel tank up with 1500litres at a time, but since I might not have as much disposable income i'm just gonna fill 500litres at a time this year. I also have to pay an extra 32cent on each litre of diesel. We use green diesel for marine use, but we lost the derogation meaning we'll now be paying close to the same price as auto diesel - Bah humbug! So basicly this means that instead of whizzing around at full speed, i'll have to reduce the speed to a more sensible cruising speed thus increaseing fuel economy. It also means i'll probably clock up less water miles this year (Did abou 7800 miles Summer 2007)

Wanna know what the worst thing is? I'm not even being sarcastic :pac:

With regards to work, no, still flat out (I can only work weekends due to education committments)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

no i was always on the first rung of the ladder so i did not have far to fall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Stones85

Not at all, I've benfited. Am prob getting promoted soon, and have just moved into a bigger much nicer apartment for 300 euro cheaper a month than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My boss made my position redundant the other day but "found/created" a position for me but still has not put the terms on paper.

Im calculating a loss of around €20k a year gross.

I am relieved that I still have been able to keep A job within the company because the company is a great company.

Also got to keep the Audi A4 Sport. :D + International travel. :D

I'm immigrating to Australlia next year regardless of promotions or any of that sh*t. I've lived there before.... far far far better lifestlye and a proper work life balance. Not like here where your boss/company rape you every opportunity they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Stones85 wrote: »
    I'm immigrating to Australlia next year regardless of promotions or any of that sh*t. I've lived there before.... far far far better lifestlye and a proper work life balance. Not like here where your boss/company rape you every opportunity they get.

I wish, we are due to medical bills and normal loans around €48k in debt excluding the mortgage. If only I could join my sister in Perth.

I had even considered selling the house and just walking away from all my bills. Chase me all you like!

Berty wrote: »
    I wish, we are due to medical bills and normal loans around €48k in debt excluding the mortgage. If only I could join my sister in Perth.

I had even considered selling the house and just walking away from all my bills. Chase me all you like!

Would not like to be you. I could stay here and be grand. But imo Oz is better for me and my family. Might even join the peelers:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Terry wrote: »
    There will be plenty of work for mechanics because people won't be buying new cars as much as they have been for the past few years.

Not really, people will just stop paying to have their car looked after on a scheduled basis and will drive it until it stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yes.

Need a part-time job and there aren't any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

recession hasnt affected me...yet,told the g/f no foreign holiday next year (she wasnt having any of it) nice to see 2nd hand car prices dropping,would love to change car next year but i dont think the bank would like that!,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

FunkZ wrote: »
    It's all been positive to me. The way I see it is that in one years time nobody will be wearing Abercrombie or Ugg Boots!

Don't recessions only increase the divide between the rich and the poor?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

in the good times i couldnt get a job or anything, recession hits and in the last 5 months ive got a fairly good IT job, bought a car and rented a house on the cheap, all in all, it hasnt been harsh on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Was thinking about this the last day.

I think Ive benefited if anything from this recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Didnt see the benifits of the boom, didnt see the boom disappear... i was broke i am broke and i will continue to be broke until i get out of college...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Yeah been pretty much ****ed over. Only working part-time whilst in college so my problems are minuscule compared to those with families etc, but haven't had any work in over 5 weeks. Getting a cheque for a massive €160 before Christmas as part of some money they owe me from before.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they rang and said "look its very quiet at the minute, things will be picking up [insert time/date] we'd imagine so just hang on". (By this I don't mean they know when the recession will end. Just the job I'm in - sports reporting - is pretty much a seasonal thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Daddy's out of a job, and mum, well, she most likely is safe.

So yeah, a recession has affected me, however, while im an Irish resident, and citizen, (both my parents are too) it was not the Irish Recession that affected me, more the American one :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

quite the opposite, im feelin like a lucky bastard living over here in norway, just after gettin a new job not more than a month ago and the pay is begtter than ill over get back home! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

Zascar wrote: »
    I was just thinking the other day, how although we are in a recession and all, really I'd say most people are no worse off at all... In fact for many it might actually have a positive effect!

OK, so i work in IT Sales where my salary is largely commission based - I have seen a clear downturn in business lately, so my earnings follow suit. A lot of large companies are tightening their belts and cancelling projects or putting them on hold, playing it safe.

Now the majority of people are on a fixed salary, so, leaving aside the fact that there is a risk you could loose your job, really your earnings are not at risk. However due to the recession, a lot of things have got significantly cheaper! Petrol prices have gone down, if you are on a tracker mortgage you're laughing, from a retail perspective shops are lowering prices to try to encourage greater turnovers and the sales are even coming early. If like me you tend to buy a lot online, the sterling/euro rate means that buying form the UK has never been more attractive!

Have you really been affected in a negative way from the recession, or are you actually slightly better off?

Oh yeah, I lost my job at the worlds largest bank by revenue, well I haven't lost it yet but our whole department was offered redundancy and told we could be let go anytime from January.

Luckily, I got another job but it is a pay cut of €10,000 a year. :mad:

However, I feel lucky to have that other job considering we're probably heading toward a depression or at the very least a long recession.

I can realistically see a quarter of Ireland's population out of work in 2009.

Advertisement