Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TV3 the worst channel possible?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The problem I have with TV3 is the fact that they feel that they can get free advertising and marketing and hype by underhandedly getting one or more members of staff to sign up accounts on boards.ie and pretend to be happy TV3 watchers. This happened a year or two ago with Univershill music, and it really, really pissed us off.

If TV3 don't stop this shoddy excuse for being on this website then I'll request that TV3 be added to the censor and request that their company IP gets blocked from accessing this website. Either that or request that boards be accessable to them only in 6 minute segments, url forwarding them to our advertisement of choice for a few minutes.

Are viewing figures so low that TV3 have to sell cheap adspace which in turn means that they have to have such long ad breaks? Is their advertising so expensive that they have to flood internet bulletin boards with shill employees pretending to be happy customers to cut down on costs?

If TV3 want to advertise on boards then they can pay for it like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

In fairness to tv3 they have tried to to produce more home tv.
    Thier Crime Docs were very good and are now out on dvd.
    However where they left themselves down is with some much English Tv.They have im a celebrity and all that.They are ok. But showing shows like banged up aboard, Diy nightmares and more stuff like that are just hard to watch and bring down the channel a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Declan30 wrote: »
    In fairness to tv3 they have tried to to produce more home tv.
    Thier Crime Docs were very good and are now out on dvd.

Co-funded by the license fee.

Could boards not just name and shame workers from a company, for example if I worked for TV3 you could put TV3 Employee where it says Registered User. Imagine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Good television isn't profitable. You have to treat the viewing public like idiots.

Anybody I know that likes well produced, smartly written television is watching boxsets or downloading it off piratebay.

The BBC has the best model for making television shows, but you have to create alot of bad television, and stuff that flops before you get a huge cash cow to syndicate like Top Gear, Red Dwarf or Dr. Who.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Elmo wrote: »

Could boards not just name and shame workers from a company, for example if I worked for TV3 you could put TV3 Employee where it says Registered User. Imagine :(

Did they get the money to make these programmes from the BCI Sound & Vision fund?

• Advertisement

mick_irl wrote: »
    Did they get the money to make these programmes from the BCI Sound & Vision fund?

From what I can gather the only programming that TV3 don't make without the License fee are Ireland AM, News @ 5:30, Expose, Nightly News, Sports Tonight, Sports coverage, The Apprentice and a few of the News Specials <<<< They are still required to produces these shows as the S&V fund is not counted towards their requirements (Even I think its a bit unfair and it should be down to the broadcasters percentage e.g. if 50% co-funded then 50% should go towards their requirements.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I hate TV3 it is for the uneducated masses and proles alike. Anyone that would watch it is unbelievable. You can watch nothing on it without Sky+, TIVO etc. it is all fecking ads, thank god for whoever thought of Sky+!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Yes, TV3 is one of the signs of the Apocalypse - God-awful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Gordon wrote: »
    The problem I have with TV3 is the fact that they feel that they can get free advertising and marketing and hype by underhandedly getting one or more members of staff to sign up accounts on boards.ie and pretend to be happy TV3 watchers. This happened a year or two ago with Univershill music, and it really, really pissed us off.

If TV3 don't stop this shoddy excuse for being on this website then I'll request that TV3 be added to the censor and request that their company IP gets blocked from accessing this website. Either that or request that boards be accessable to them only in 6 minute segments, url forwarding them to our advertisement of choice for a few minutes.

Are viewing figures so low that TV3 have to sell cheap adspace which in turn means that they have to have such long ad breaks? Is their advertising so expensive that they have to flood internet bulletin boards with shill employees pretending to be happy customers to cut down on costs?

If TV3 want to advertise on boards then they can pay for it like everyone else.

Have TV3 actually done this ? Or is it possibly that there's TV3 staff who use boards and then register new accounts just for some shilling ?

A bit shocking imo if there's management in TV3 saying to their staff to go on boards to promote the channel. I'd send a strongly worded email to as high up as I could . Or the Ip blockage idea sounds better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I was reading some of the posts by one of the TV3 shills a couple of days ago. They are pathetic. Is showing up in a thread about Take That or Blur to mention TV3 going to suddenly lead people to think that they must watch some TV3 right now. What sort of easily led people do they think read boards?

• Advertisement

What sort of easily led people do they think read boards?

It's not that much different than the adverts on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

.....However after 1 year on air RTE soon realized that TV3 didn't really care what they show as long as they could get a few people watching Due South, EastEnders and Early Edition (<<< the US drama).

TV3 is there to provided RTE with an alternative and competition. Not just to sit around and become the easy option of ITV1. It isn't like they actually get good movies, their Christmas line up is pathetic.

TV3 never showed Due South by the way ;)

Have to agree with some parts over their xmas line-up. Putting It's a Wonderful Life on at 3pm on Christmas Day is just disgraceful. They have showed this film every year since they started. It's just really poor for a channel that aims itself primarily at the 18-34yr olds of Ireland.

Coronations Street Special :Greatest Exits is their NINTH time showing it.

Surely they have something better to show.:confused:

They showed some of the most awful made for TV American movies and straight to video movies in their first few years. And with that awful amount of ads during Panic Room (a 6+year old film that you can buy for peanuts) they really are rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

iseegirls wrote: »

Have to agree with some parts over their xmas line-up. Putting It's a Wonderful Life on at 3pm on Christmas Day is just disgraceful. They have showed this film every year since they started. It's just really poor for a channel that aims itself primarily at the 18-34yr olds of Ireland.

They do not want to pay any money for programmes that no one is gonna watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

Due South was much better than most of the stuff TV3 show. There's nothing wrong with showing It's A Wonderful Life every year but it should be on at about 9am not the afternoon.
    Bond-007 wrote: »
    They do not want to pay any money for programmes that no one is gonna watch.

I remember reading somewhere that ITV in the 1990's started giving up on Christmas Day because as a commercial broadcaster they had no reason to make an effort as the peak shopping period was over and ad rates were not going to be as high as in the run-up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Have TV3 actually done this ? Or is it possibly that there's TV3 staff who use boards and then register new accounts just for some shilling ?

A bit shocking imo if there's management in TV3 saying to their staff to go on boards to promote the channel. I'd send a strongly worded email to as high up as I could . Or the Ip blockage idea sounds better :)
    I'm not sure if it is sanctioned by TV3 but it is all the same in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I hate TV3
    How can anyone hate a TV station? Just flick past it or turn off. Job done. I find the majority of TV to be rubbish. Now and the something good comes along and I couldn't care less what channel its on.

it is for the uneducated masses and proles alike. Anyone that would watch it is unbelievable. You can watch nothing on it without Sky+, TIVO etc. it is all fecking ads, thank god for whoever thought of Sky+!!
    So not only do you watch it yourself, you sky plus it too? I guess that makes you uneducated and unbelievable ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They once did a news piece about Michael Martin's sandwiches.:confused: I think it was because he had his own outside a pub and the pub wasn't too impressed.

Daft coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

One thing I noticed with TV3 is the lousy sound. The levels are all over the place. It's particularly noticeable if you flick between ITV1 and TV3 when the same programme is shown.

Sorry I didn't mean Due South, I meant Northern Exposure which seems to have been on every channel when the start up since it was produced. TnaG showed when it began, then TV3 and now C6. Network 2 had it on its original run. I look forward to seeing it on City Channel and Setanta soon. :)

• Advertisement

There's nothing wrong with showing It's A Wonderful Life every year but it should be on at about 9am not the afternoon.

I remember reading somewhere that ITV in the 1990's started giving up on Christmas Day because as a commercial broadcaster they had no reason to make an effort as the peak shopping period was over and ad rates were not going to be as high as in the run-up to Christmas.

Yeah nothing wrong with It's a wonderful Life, RTE TWO used to show it every year just before TV3 did!!!!

TV3 stated this when the started up 10 years ago. However TV3 have an advantage on Xmas day since RTE don't show advertising on Xmas Day ever and I don't think TG4 do either. So they should at least try to make an effort since they should charge an arm and a leg of xmas day advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Superb Idea

Anyway TV3 ROXXX

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TV3 is pretty bad at times - apart from its half-decent news service (and the half that is decent is Nightly News with Vincent Browne), and some sports coverage, it contains nothing really that is not available anywhere else. The fact that the BCI have let them get away with using a 1/2 hour Entertainment Tonight clone (and is there really that much celeberties in Ireland to fill it?) as part of their news budget as appaling.

But to answer the OPs question, TV3 is nowhere near the worst channel possible. In fact, on UPC digital alone, its not even the tenth worst channel. Buzz TV is probably the worst, though I'd throw in dishonourable mentions for QVC, City Channel, DCTV, Discovery Home and Health, Fashion Television, and of course the one and only E!

icdg wrote: »
    But to answer the OPs question, TV3 is nowhere near the worst channel possible. In fact, on UPC digital alone, its not even the tenth worst channel. Buzz TV is probably the worst, though I'd throw in dishonourable mentions for QVC, City Channel, DCTV, Discovery Home and Health, Fashion Television, and of course the one and only E!

City channel has Defenders of the Earth. Classic.

Yeah, Vincent Browne is alright...

If the TV3 shills are reading : More Vinny Browne thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

That new blonde tart on Ireland AM, Anna Daly, gets me up in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ocluggg

Worst TV station ever!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd nearly forgotten, the one channel almost as bad as Buzz TV - SportsExchange! I can't decide really which is worse, but BuzzTV's far more prominent EPG positioning seals it. Anyway, either makes TV3 look like BBC1 in comparision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

What is Buzz TV anyway?? Like where's its market? Who's it aiming for?
    I honestly have no idea what its about.

As for the city channel - it must have "behind the scenes with gwen stefani" on every time i pass it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'd nearly forgotten, the one channel almost as bad as Buzz TV - SportsExchange! I can't decide really which is worse, but BuzzTV's far more prominent EPG positioning seals it. Anyway, either makes TV3 look like BBC1 in comparision.

Sportsxchange has shown live football a few times in the last month. far from the worst...

Advertisement