Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is TV3 the worst channel possible?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Zaph wrote: »
    I fully appreciate the need for ads. What I don't appreciate is watching a film and having it interrupted every 20 minutes or less for a 6 minute long ad break. There has to be some sort of balance between generating revenue and not pissing off your viewers, and ad breaks that long aren't the way to do it imo.

The 45 min rule AFAIK is being removed from TVWF. This could be good and bad.

If you want TV channels to take more add breaks but of short lenght. E.G. a minute add break every 5 - 10 mins ??????

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Elmo wrote: »
    The 45 min rule AFAIK is being removed from TVWF. This could be good and bad.

If you want TV channels to take more add breaks but of short lenght. E.G. a minute add break every 5 - 10 mins ??????

Not necessarily, they could just balance them out a bit better. In the example given there wasn't a break for the first 35 minutes, but once they had it the next 2 segments of the film were only 19 and 16 minutes long, not to mention the final break squeezed in with less than 10 minutes of the film left.

What's TVWF btw?

Zaph wrote: »
    What's TVWF btw?

TVWF: Television Without Frountiers is an EU wide directive. I won't go into it here. It finishes up on the 19 of Dec 2009 to be replaced by another directive covering Broadcasting and New Media. AV something?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Gareth37 wrote: »
    True. I don't think it has any words of God Im afraid :)

Fair play to RTE for making some effort at least :)

Fair play? The angelus shouldn't be on everyday, I have to listen to it everyday before the 6.01 and it makes me want to puke.

What happened to the separation of church and state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

TVWF, is that the EU scheme to encourage national broadcasters to
    show programs from different EU countries to promote cultural exchanges between EU states? The same directive that allows RTE
    and TV3 to show Eastenders, Coronation St, etc as their chosen programs
    for 'cultural exchange'. It's a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

I don't mind TV3 - The Apprentice has been the most addictive show over the last 12 weeks!

Loving the X-Factor as well, and Corrie...who cares if they're not homegrown, sheesh I don't hear anyone giving out about Eastenders/Scrubs/Ugly Betty/Desperate Housewives being on RTE1/2!

TV3 also have a fairly decent breakfast show, and Diary Of A Model was quite good...basically, if you want good entertainment, tune into TV3.

The only half-decent thing on RTE1 entertainment wise is Fair City and Tubridy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ozzyoh wrote: »
    The only half-decent thing on RTE1 entertainment wise is Fair City and Tubridy.

I think I'd give up watching tv altogether if I had to resort to either of those to be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

OMG TV3 is the best channel they scored corrie........ How would the people of Ireland (without chorus/sky) cope without their fix of what's happening in teh oh so exciting lives of Deirdre and Ken :P ... and don't forget Blanche ...

LA3G wrote: »
    Fair play? The angelus shouldn't be on everyday, I have to listen to it everyday before the 6.01 and it makes me want to puke.

What happened to the separation of church and state?

Awh! did the bit of religion hurt your feelings???? Please get over yourself, 1 minute of the day. You don't even have to view it as a religous broadcast. Anyway doesn't it give SixOne is classy name :)
    TVWF, is that the EU scheme to encourage national broadcasters to
    show programs from different EU countries to promote cultural exchanges between EU states? The same directive that allows RTE
    and TV3 to show Eastenders, Coronation St, etc as their chosen programs
    for 'cultural exchange'. It's a complete joke.

Yes they are supposed to show 50% of the imports from other EU contries fortunately for Irish broadcasters we have England to provide us will English speaking programmes. "Where Practiable".
    OMG TV3 is the best channel they scored corrie........ How would the people of Ireland (without chorus/sky) cope without their fix of what's happening in teh oh so exciting lives of Deirdre and Ken ... and don't forget Blanche ...

We aren't suggesting that TV3 only show Irish show. We are just pointing out that they could provide more irish shows. Without the aid of the Licence fee, they are a private company after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

[/QUOTE]We aren't suggesting that TV3 only show Irish show. We are just pointing out that they could provide more irish shows. Without the aid of the Licence fee, they are a private company after all.[/QUOTE]

Erm I was just laughing at TV3s line up of entertainment....................:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Elmo wrote: »
    You don't even have to view it as a religous broadcast.

Of course I don't, apart from the fact it is a religious broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I mean come on, with it's tabloid nonsense, it's semi-literate news readers and it's constant feed of reality type muck.

I think it is the worst possible channel out there.

Someone should ring in to their midday show and tell em the people haveth spoken :)

All their in house production is rubbish. Alan Cantwell is a wally, bet he misses Grannie!

What programmes do they even show ?
    Lets have a look at what's on today

TV3
    • 11:00Try My Life
    • 11:50Midday
    • 12:50Xposé
    • 13:20The Oprah Winfrey Show
    • 14:10The Ellen Degeneres Show
    • 15:05Ten Years Younger
    • 15:35Emmerdale
    • 16:30Judge Judy
    • 17:00Judge Judy
    • 17:30News @ 5.30
    • 18:00Xposé
    • 18:30You Are What You Eat
    • 19:00Emmerdale
    • 19:30Coronation Street
    • 20:00Malcolm in the Middle
    • 20:30Coronation Street
    • 21:00Turbulence
    • 23:00The Political Party
    • 23:40Sports Tonight
    • 00:00The Apprentice
    • 01:30Monday Night Mayhem

Channel 6
    • 13:00Frasier
    • 13:30Seinfeld
    • 14:00Law and Order
    • 15:00Popscene
    • 17:10Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    • 19:30Seinfeld
    • 20:00Take Six 2008
    • 20:30Scrubs
    • 21:00Friends
    • 21:30The Royle Family
    • 21:59Take Six Film Intro 2007-2008
    • 22:00Pitch Black
    • 00:00Dead Like Me
    • 01:00Night Shift
    • 03:00The Loop

Now out of TV3's list I'd maybe watch Malcolm, at a push.
    Of Ch6's programming, I'd watch Frasier, Seinfeld and Law & Order. Pitch Black is a good choice of film , I don't think it's been on telly much - well, "normal poor Cabelink telly" :p

Overal though neither station are breaking any ground . Ch6 is only showing the first series of Terminator : Sarah Conner Chronicles and I don't think it's getting many repeats. Whereas Scrubs is on daily on both E4 and Paramount and sometimes they're on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

jen_23 wrote: »
    OMG TV3 is the best channel they scored corrie........ How would the people of Ireland (without chorus/sky) cope without their fix of what's happening in teh oh so exciting lives of Deirdre and Ken :P ... and don't forget Blanche ...
    utv-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

smashey wrote: »
    utv-1.jpg

Don't forget that UTV comes with added Julian too!

34747_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

At least I'm not forced to pay 180e per year for it.
    RTE my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

TV3's subtitles are a joke, or lack of.The only shows iirc that they have subs on them are Corrie and Emmerdale.I'm hard of hearing and rely on subtitles which is why I can't watch anything on TV3.Maybe I'm lucky? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Is TV3 the worst channel possible?

Na, It would be possible to make a worse channel, would take some amount of effort, but it's Defo possible!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mick_irl wrote: »
    Don't forget that UTV comes with added Julian too!

34747_2.jpg

/shudders. :eek:

With the way TV3 are we might as well have given UTV the third channel licence. We must be one of the only countries in the world who relies more on a foreign country's television than our own. Does New Zealand steal channels from Australia in the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

carbsy wrote: »
    TV3's subtitles are a joke, or lack of.The only shows iirc that they have subs on them are Corrie and Emmerdale.I'm hard of hearing and rely on subtitles which is why I can't watch anything on TV3.Maybe I'm lucky? ;)

Just watch it on UTV instead, problem solved, plus you get to see some of it a few weeks earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Just watch it on UTV instead, problem solved, plus you get to see some of it a few weeks earlier.
    I always thought they simulcast Corrie and Emmerdale?

Karsini wrote: »
    With the way TV3 are we might as well have given UTV the third channel licence. We must be one of the only countries in the world who relies more on a foreign country's television than our own.

This is it. Absolute joke! And if you want RTE in digital you have to give Rupert Murdoch money!!! At least the UK folk can get a freeview box from BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

What sort of tv channel does not have a news program on a weekend?.
    Do news events stop on a weekend? :eek:

TV 3 are also **** with HR. In 4th year I wrote and phoned everyday for months and months looking for work experience and the person in charge of such matters didn't seem to exist!! I subsequently was able to get into a recording studio though

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I always thought they simulcast Corrie and Emmerdale?

I think he means that TV3 show most of the same programmes as ITV, and most are shown first on ITV. Don't think he meant Corrie & Emmerdale, as yes, they are broadcast at the same time on both channels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

For everyone who thinks tv3 is bad, try living in Italy for a year. Bar football, their version of 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' is hands down the best programme they have:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Aidric wrote: »
    Nigerian Movies is the worst channel out there. It makes TV3 seem acceptable.
    I have a few of them on VCD, they're usually 5 or 6 people that go into a shop and argue about money. Seriously. The same shop too.

Anyway, back to TV3, when their news has a celebrity section and birthdays are more important than the weather, the station has seriously credability problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Couple of hot newsreaders though - Siobhan Bastible and Claire Brock.

Other than that its chronic.

I especially HATE that Ireland AM. Mark Cagney pontificating, the fat lad barely alive and the female co-presenter giggling and clapping her hands like a 5 year old girl. Dross.

I'd prefer quality programming and scheduling. The measure of a station shouldn't be how many women there are to leer at :winkysmiley::winkysmiley::winkysmiley::winkysmiley::winkysmiley::winkysmiley:

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    At least I'm not forced to pay 180e per year for it.
    RTE my hole.

The problem with this argument is that most of the new prime time home produced schedule will be co-funded by the license fee. (Bar Xpose and perhaps The Apprentice if it returns).

But also that TV3 have a license to provide competition to RTÉ and it isn't as though TV3 can't provide competition. It is easier to rely on Coronation St. and Emmerdale then to rock the boat.

Before TV3 went on air RTE made significant changes to their channels. RTE One had about 5 co-produced dramas and a new Irish detective serial, RTE Two re-branded as N2 and increased its home productions as well, which lead to their Monday Night Dramas which have ranged form excellent to so-so to really bad in equal measures IMO. However after 1 year on air RTE soon realized that TV3 didn't really care what they show as long as they could get a few people watching Due South, EastEnders and Early Edition (<<< the US drama).

TV3 is there to provided RTE with an alternative and competition. Not just to sit around and become the easy option of ITV1. It isn't like they actually get good movies, their Christmas line up is pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement