Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comments in the Dail on Airsoft

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Tigger wrote: »
    the comments he made were on the 10th
    that gave the 11th and 12th for someone to manage to get some sorta answer

No that gave him the 11th and 12th to reply, which he clearly didn't.
    This is not a simple or quick process.
    It will require patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    No that gave him the 11th and 12th to reply, which he clearly didn't.
    This is not a simple or quick process.
    It will require patience.

how do you mean he clearly didn't

you mean he hadn't replied to the iaa he might have replied to any of the others of us that have been trying to contact him independantly

it is a quick process legislation with no logic or real thought behind it can be rushed through the houses and as i have said may be rushed through prior to christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

you mean he hadn't replied to the iaa he might have replied to any of the others of us that have been trying to contact him independantly

it is a quick process legislation with no logic or real thought behind it can be rushed through the houses and as i have said may be rushed through prior to christmas

guy stop freakin out at each other someone already said this but we need to stop fighting each other and work together.stop freaking out at the iaa lads just because the powers at be haven't replied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Sorry, Tigger, do you know something that we dont?

Perhaps you'd like to share it?

The Minister hasnt responded to the people who have been in communication with his department for the past 12 months on a regualr basis. I dont know if you have ever dealt with a department in the civil service but believe me, sod all gets done on a Thursday and Friday that hasnt been outstanding for a while. Its called "back log" and the civil service functions on it (I know, I used to work in the Dept of Education). I sincerely doubt that individuals, not of his constituency are likely to get an answer out of him ahead of all of the other things he is concerned with (crime, evil black glocks, drugs etc).

We are unlikely to get any comment from the minister until he has had a chance to review and be advised by his department. The only time ministers act quickly is when they are put on the back foot by the opposition, whom have been informed and will likely be preparing to ask him a lot of question in the next few working days.

amaughan wrote: »
    guy stop freakin out at each other someone already said this but we need to stop fighting each other and work together.stop freaking out at the iaa lads just because the powers at be haven't replied.

i'm not freaking out

i had asked the iaa a question they replied (on boards which was nice i also asked on their site in case they didn't want to reply on boards)i asked for a clarification they repled that was sound i knew where the iaa were at close of business on friday evening

then for some reason lemming decided to start butting in but i ignored him

i was wondering whether anyone else (nopt the iaa but someone else) had managed to get a reply and then pepper (i assume thinking that i was asking the iaa again ) decided to re-iterate that the iaa had recieved no news

still wanting to be singing off the same sheet as it were i tried to clarify that i m wondering if anyone, iaa not iaa dog hamster gerbil what ever , had managed to get any comment

if members of the iaa want to answer a direct question to them then i will repeat the one i asked

the doj sent what i regard a a nice letter to the martial arts people regarding "samuiri" swords and the fact that scumbags were abusing them

did a similar letter / mail get sent to the iaa at any stage

spefically i'm asking if they acknowledged our sportr as they di the rights of martial art practioners thiers

te full quote is one the previous page but i'm most interested in this bit

The Department does not wish to unnecessarily restrict or adversely impact
    on cultural, sporting or dramatic activities. We would welcome your views
    and submissions on this issue. The term 'samurai sword', though in popular
    usage, is problematic in that it refers only to swords made during the
    samurai era in Japan. It clearly does not refer to the types of swords
    being used in violent crimes. We are open to any better suggestions you
    might put forward.

anyway i'm staying away from this because its all politics

please answer this last question and i'll shut up like a good cub

ttfn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Hi Guys

All other issues aside, seeing the community this energised is so good and a fantastic reflection on the sport, well done to everyone.

Please do not worry or think that the IAA is doing nothing if you do not see us respond to a post or be able to answer a question straight away, all our time is being put into this, foot is to the floor, as it is every time their is a dark cloud on the radar.

The IAA is by no means sitting around on this one, I personally have been doing committee work all day today and every day this week at the expense all else, work (which I had to use vacation time) college and family, this is not a complaint nor am I looking for sympathy etc. I decided to help the IAA and I know my efforts are going to a good cause. From the amount of email's per hour that we have to send and receive, the worn out keypad on my blackberry, and the silly time of the morning that this go's on to it is clear to see that all the others are in the same mode, and a large well organised effort is in motion.

I look forward to seeing all the members tomorrow at the AGM, full details of the last few days going's on will be discussed and the minutes will be publicly available for all to view.

BR.
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

previously legislation was brought in banning samuri (sp) swords
    however exemption was made to martial arts practioners

Two quick points Tigger:

1. Why do you write 'samuri (sp)' or 'samuiri' when the term is spelt correctly in the letter to which you refer?

2. It's wrong to say samurai swords are banned. No legislation has yet been introduced nearly 12 months after consultation was initiated. So what makes you think emergency legislation would be enacted on airsoft within a week? The Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill won't even be published until January at the earliest. On average, a Bill takes 18-24 MONTHS to be passed into law by the Oireachtas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

BornToKill wrote: »
    Two quick points Tigger:

1. Why do you write 'samuri (sp)' or 'samuiri' when the term is spelt correctly in the letter to which you refer?

Please don't point out peoples mis-spellings out like this, its lazy and ignorant. We all understood what he meant.

This goes for everyone on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

did a similar letter / mail get sent to the iaa at any stage

spefically i'm asking if they acknowledged our sportr as they di the rights of martial art practioners thiers

No man they didn't and if they did we would have announced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

gandalf wrote: »
    Please don't point out peoples mis-spellings out like this, its lazy and ignorant. We all understood what he meant.

Ah, but they aren't mis-spellings at least not in the sense that Tigger has simply mis-spelt a word. His use of (sp) and quotation marks implies to me that he is incorrectly ascribing mis-spellings to the letter.

If I understood why he was doing this, I would not have asked so it's wrong to say 'we all understood what he meant'. I don't.

As to calling me lazy and ignorant it doesn't merit response though I would expect better of a moderator.

• Advertisement

Ah, but they aren't mis-spellings at least not in the sense that Tigger has simply mis-spelt a word. His use of (sp) and quotation marks implies to me that he is incorrectly ascribing mis-spellings to the letter.

If I understood why he was doing this, I would not have asked so it's wrong to say 'we all understood what he meant'. I don't.

Well my reading as a moderator is that you did use it to point out mis-spelling.

What your point is I don't know and the actual relevance to the post your were refering to is not clear at all. As far as I was concerned you were taking the thread off topic.

If I see you doing anything like it again I will infract or ban you.
    As to calling me lazy and ignorant it doesn't merit response though I would expect better of a moderator.

I said that people who correct others spellings or question them for no real reason beyond pointing out the fact they made an error are ignorant and lazy. Now I don't expect to see any more references to my warning you on this thread. If you really feel strongly about it I suggest you start a thread on the helpdesk forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

This thread has gone SEVERLY off topic . And I can't see it leading anywere but arguments.

I think the comments on airsoft were just random abntering on. It happens alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭tonky

This thread has gone SEVERLY off topic . And I can't see it leading anywere but arguments.

I think the comments on airsoft were just random abntering on. It happens alot.
    Well thanks for your contribution.
    As our sport is under a threat of blanket ban, this thread is of great interest to me and I assume others, I would not assume to dismiss the contributions of Fayer and other more knowledgeable people than me around here as, random bantering on, which is what I presume you meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

Bantering . Sorry .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lomarticus

At the end of the day, if it comes down to it, can the EU be approached at any level to prevent a blanket-ban on the sport in favour of a more reasonable and balanced approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

The chairman of the IAA has just said he has it on good authority there will be no outright Ban on airsoft, Since when? up till midnight last night the posts on here said the IAA has had no communication with the DOJ on this matter.

If you bothered to come to the AGM you could have asked him directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Stone.cold

gandalf wrote: »
    If you bothered to come to the AGM you could have asked him directly.
    i like many am not a member but i do feel if information concerning this ban was known before now it should have been shared via the IAA website to stop airsofters all over ireland panicing

They responded to the exact question whether Dermot Ahern had gotten back to them.

He had not and still has not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Not a member either, considering joining in 09. Until I join I won't have any expectations of what the IAA should or should not do for me. I am grateful for their representations to the DOJ and politicians and the information they have provided to date.

Thanks also to Gandalf for keeping us up to date on the events at the AGM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I've joined. The IAA are doing something for me, and in turn I should do something for them, which is support them. It's as simple as that for me. In dealing with the Government, an interest needs coherent, articulate, passionate lobbying from at least one reputable group, not hysteria and not complacency, and I think that's worth supporting, even if I disagree with details. Now I'm 'inside the tent', I can usefully debate the issues at stake with people in a position to influence the Government.

I'm confident that the current situation will be resolved by dialogue between reasonable people. I'd like thank Gandalf for his management of this thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Here here, couldnt agree more

how do the iaa know there wont be an out right ban.

Two quick points Tigger:

2. It's wrong to say samurai swords are banned. No legislation has yet been introduced nearly 12 months after consultation was initiated. So what makes you think emergency legislation would be enacted on airsoft within a week? The Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill won't even be published until January at the earliest. On average, a Bill takes 18-24 MONTHS to be passed into law by the Oireachtas.
    they aren't samurai with swords they're knackers with wall hangers
    and the doj have been very good about the whole issue

i was hoping the same measured approach had been followed re airsoft

it seems it may have been although no one has explained on here what has happened

anyway as i said i'm happy enuff that the iaa have it under control and if they wanna keep the announcement to how it suits them thats their perogative

i'm not really into posting here any more so i'll preobably not be around mech here but you can pm me any questions i'll still be on boards

peace

tigger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

how do the iaa know there wont be an out right ban.

Nobody knows there won't be an outright ban, but the IAA have it on good authority from a representative of the DoJ that their input will have great bearing on the legislation.

The simple fact is that no one person can ban airsoft. The minister can propose legislation, which is subject to review, input from lobby groups and interested parties, and this can take many, many months. Laws are neither drafted nor passed by one person overnight, this is why we have a two-party system.

There may still be parts of the Bill that we don't like, or that may be restrictive, but it is a huge win for the IAA that they're being told that their specific recommendations are being taken on board. It means a complete ban is unlikely, but we're not quite out of the woods yet. Hence the lack of press, and why the IAAs job in legitimising Airsoft is far from over. There's still a lot of work to be done in lobbying for what the community wants, and making sure to be on top of developments as they happen.

thanks a million for the explanation i dont feel so screwed now haha thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Nobody knows there won't be an outright ban, but the IAA have it on good authority from a representative of the DoJ that their input will have great bearing on the legislation.

The simple fact is that no one person can ban airsoft. The minister can propose legislation, which is subject to review, input from lobby groups and interested parties, and this can take many, many months. Laws are neither drafted nor passed by one person overnight, this is why we have a two-party system.

There may still be parts of the Bill that we don't like, or that may be restrictive, but it is a huge win for the IAA that they're being told that their specific recommendations are being taken on board. It means a complete ban is unlikely, but we're not quite out of the woods yet. Hence the lack of press, and why the IAAs job in legitimising Airsoft is far from over. There's still a lot of work to be done in lobbying for what the community wants, and making sure to be on top of developments as they happen.

lol well i tried to explain that one person cannot do it alone and i was verbally attacked lol so be prepared:p

if anyone attacks that its just because they need a bit of drama in there lives.i call them''corri-watchers''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

if anyone attacks that its just because they need a bit of drama in there lives.i call them''corri-watchers''

tehy didnt attack me specifaccly i was just joking...they just announced their dissagreement:rolleyes:

but that was funnny i lol'd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

they aren't samurai with swords they're knackers with wall hangers

QFT

Advertisement