Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Obnoxious parking - ***READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

blocking a cycle lane?

Yes. I was ordered one day to pull into the cycle lane by a Chief Inspector as I stopped "in the middle of the road" using the cycle lane, outer marking, as the curb.

I was not going to argue with him, I'd assume he knew the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

21082010168.jpg
    This was taken in Ballincollig shopping center @ the weekend. It just struck me as "oh well, I just couldn't be bothered to park right"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

djimi wrote: »
    That Mahon car park seems to come up in this thread a lot...

You wouldn't believe that place, as I have said earlier on this thread; on a good day it looks like a tornado has swept thorough the car park.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

gbee wrote: »
    You do know of course, that, as a commercial vehicle, this vehicle has ten minutes to load or unload ~ collect or drop off passengers.

I can't see if the car is empty or how long it's been there, but it's not breaking any law by stopping here, per sae.
    Even on double yellow & on a clearway?? Didn't know that.
    Wasn't dropping off or picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You do know of course, that, as a commercial vehicle, this vehicle has ten minutes to load or unload ~ collect or drop off passengers.

I can't see if the car is empty or how long it's been there, but it's not breaking any law by stopping here, per sae.

Are you mixing up a loading bay with double yellow lines (which means no parking, ever, for any reason, not even with your hazards on)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

kwalshe wrote: »
    I gave this horse a piece of my mind when I explained how inconsiderate his parking was. He did'nt even react when I told him I'd be putting it up on this thread..
    http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii379/ken_walshe/27072010.jpg

I looked at that about 5 times before I realised there actually was a horse in the photo.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Are you mixing up a loading bay with double yellow lines (which means no parking, ever, for any reason, not even with your hazards on)

No, a delivery truck can. Sometimes a street is closed off for deliveries.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Have to admit I never heard of this. Good luck arguing that with a Guard or a warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

This thread is getting boaring, mostly about people banging on about drivers parking on double yellow lines, the thread is dwindiling.......

Give us something to get our teeth into...... Not some old biddy! parking a little out of the lines, give us something juicy.

I have being watching this thread for a while now, and it has gone down hill.

Plenty of times I have seen some alot of Obnoxious Parking but never bothered to post or photo it, because.

Ok it was Obnoxious Parking but not worthy posting, when I get a good juicy one I will.

Lets get this post on its origional track.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No, a delivery truck can. Sometimes a street is closed off for deliveries.

Have you something to back up this claim? Double yellow lines usually exist to prevent people from parking in places where it is dangerous or can cause disruption to the general flow of traffic; I dont see how allowing goods vehicles to park on them for 10 minutes makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i am of the same the same opinion, loading a goods vehicle is not the same as parking. Other restrictions may apply, but often loading on double yellows is perfectly OK (and unavoidable)

Have you something to back up this claim?

Up to about three years ago I did regular city centre deliveries and you only have to drive around at delivery times to see all the activities for yourself.

I'd been doing this for 15 years and got maybe three tickets, each one for being a really long time away from the vehicle.

I will contrast that to another occasion where I doing other business and I parked my car and had three parking tickets in one day for very short over stays.

In contrast I have ,in the past, had Guards /Wardens tell me to move immediately when trying to drop of or collect something. Double yellow lines mean no parking at any time. Clearway also means no parking at times stated. I think this is more a case of officials using their discrection rather than it being a right.

Up to about three years ago I did regular city centre deliveries and you only have to drive around at delivery times to see all the activities for yourself.

I'd been doing this for 15 years and got maybe three tickets, each one for being a really long time away from the vehicle.

I will contrast that to another occasion where I doing other business and I parked my car and had three parking tickets in one day for very short over stays.

Just because you see someone doing something does mean its allowed; it usually means its badly policed. I see people drive in bus lanes a lot; doesnt mean they are allowed to.

Unless you can provide a link to say otherwise, Im afraid Im going to have to disagree and say that parking on double yellow lines is never allowed, no matter what the purpose (unless youre emergency services) and no matter how short the time frame.

Im afraid Im going to have to disagree and say that parking on double yellow lines is never allowed,

You continue to do that, and keep those double yellows free for me! Win, win.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Just to clear this up, commercial vehicles are allowed to park on double yellow lines for loading/unloading for a period of time providing they are not breaking any other parking violations (too close to a junction, continuous white line in middle of road etc).

Also gbee, there's nothing to say loading furniture is any different to a courier type delivery.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/pages/wheretopark.aspx

It actually says "a vehicle" and doesn't refer to just commercial. This is for Dublin City but as far as I know, the same applies country wide.

cormie wrote: »
    Also gbee, there's nothing to say loading furniture is any different to a courier type delivery..

I was being a bit disingenuous, it's a subtle joke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Double Yellow Lines

No parking on a double-yellow line at any time.
    Exceptions

You can park on a double yellow line for a maximum of 30 minutes while actively loading or unloading a vehicle.

from http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/pages/wheretopark.aspx

Thanks to poster above I saw him mention it too.

I used to do an odd job delivering furniture for a company. We could take up to half an hour loading/unloading. After that we had to be gone. It was a traffic warden who told us this some years ago. We didn't realise at the time as we weren't full timers so we asked her if it would be ok, she told us we legally have 30 mins if we were loading/unloading.

cormie wrote: »
    Just to clear this up, commercial vehicles are allowed to park on double yellow lines for loading/unloading for a period of time providing they are not breaking any other parking violations (too close to a junction, continuous white line in middle of road etc).

Also gbee, there's nothing to say loading furniture is any different to a courier type delivery.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/pages/wheretopark.aspx

It actually says "a vehicle" and doesn't refer to just commercial. This is for Dublin City but as far as I know, the same applies country wide.

Thanks for that link. I'll be printing that & keeping it handy.
    Would providing they are not breaking any other parking violations include a clearway. This was the case in my OP whaich started this. It would also be the case in a good few instances of double yellows.

Yawns wrote: »
    from http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Parking/pages/wheretopark.aspx

Thanks to poster above I saw him mention it too.

I used to do an odd job delivering furniture for a company. We could take up to half an hour loading/unloading. After that we had to be gone. It was a traffic warden who told us this some years ago. We didn't realise at the time as we weren't full timers so we asked her if it would be ok, she told us we legally have 30 mins if we were loading/unloading.

Fair enough, looks like Ive been proven wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I was being a bit disingenuous, it's a supple joke.

bendy jokes are the best kind!

copacetic wrote: »
    bendy jokes are the best kind!

Darn, spelling wrong again! Subtle :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Most of the Double yellow line pictures are of Parking nature. There is No active loading/unloading going on as there is no body there.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

come on people post more fotos not more chat. this thread is gone sour lads. either close it (mods im not telling ye what to do BUT) or show us more stupid people who cause hardship for us shoppers who can park proper.18_3_108.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Speaking of shoppers, this one annoyed me as i wanted to park there!

25082010901.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

snip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Stillorgan shopping centre
    [IMG][/img]7f44e430.jpg

Superquinn balinteer just now
    [IMG][/img]68a63c7b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

This car wont fit between the disabled spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

This car wont fit between the disabled spots.

Whats with the Kwik-E-Mart????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

bongi69 wrote: »
    Whats with the Kwik-E-Mart????

Looks like a Centra shop thats been blocked out for some unknown reason...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement